Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/tara_chara/status/1465866295686180864

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://twitter.com/HTHRFLWRS/status/1462526327643414535

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I am an editor and, depending on if the project is worth the gambit, have definitely agreed with my director/edit producer to pull a Mel Brooks from time to time.

Pardon the derail, but I am fascinated that a channel commissioner is on SA and want to ask you loads of questions. 1. How'd you get the job? Had you made a lot of TV before (I mean made, not execed)? 2. How did you find other commissioners? Were they weird? Did they seem like they knew what they were doing?

From our perspective these people are like inscrutable, erratic aliens with one consistent feature: whatever the project was that they greenlit, they will be confused and disappointed when you deliver it as promised and demand it be completely different, probably by eliminating everything about it that made it worth making.

There are exceptions who perhaps understand better that their role is a supportive one and not really editorial outside of making sure a show doesn't cross lines like legally. But most here (UK) seem clueless, and if you look them up they generally failed upward through family connections. I know someone who recently worked on a BBC show commissioned by a guy who was literally featured in the wikipedia article on "nepotism".

Is this why UK tv seems to have reached a nadir in the last 5 years? I just assumed brexit had broke it somehow. Everything domestic is so poo poo now, I don't know who the gently caress bothers with poo poo like britbox.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

A buddy of mine was living with the actress on the left when I was in LA during the Rodney King riots. I stayed with them for about a week before I headed out to a dead show in Sacramento.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/altonbrown/status/1462686776515080193

https://twitter.com/HTHRFLWRS/status/1462527676044951561

https://twitter.com/masklayer/status/1462537257781506050

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Regarde Aduck posted:

I don't know who the gently caress bothers with poo poo like britbox.
People who are addicted to panel shows. Also there are some good Australian shows. Try My Favorite Murder with Lucy Lawless.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

These are getting very stdh lame. All started with that Kings Hand tweet and now there are ton of these wacky "Look what I dreamt about and I made it HAPPEN isn't that CRAZY?" things.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think that one works better because it's so thoroughly 'dream logic'. This is exactly the recipe that would appear in a dream and only make just enough sense to put together.

Also 'gently caress YOU, DREAM ALTON BROWN' is a funny sentence for reasons I can't fully articulate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it's a good one because A) 'tea soup that Dream Alton Brown taught me to make in detail' is some very realistic stupid dream poo poo and B) ending it by cursing not Alton Brown, but his dream persona, as if she got Freddy Kruger'd into making bad tea soup is a solid way to end it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Jesus Christ. King's Hand has its own wikipedia page.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I am an editor and, depending on if the project is worth the gambit, have definitely agreed with my director/edit producer to pull a Mel Brooks from time to time.

Pardon the derail, but I am fascinated that a channel commissioner is on SA and want to ask you loads of questions. 1. How'd you get the job? Had you made a lot of TV before (I mean made, not execed)? 2. How did you find other commissioners? Were they weird? Did they seem like they knew what they were doing?

From our perspective these people are like inscrutable, erratic aliens with one consistent feature: whatever the project was that they greenlit, they will be confused and disappointed when you deliver it as promised and demand it be completely different, probably by eliminating everything about it that made it worth making.

There are exceptions who perhaps understand better that their role is a supportive one and not really editorial outside of making sure a show doesn't cross lines like legally. But most here (UK) seem clueless, and if you look them up they generally failed upward through family connections. I know someone who recently worked on a BBC show commissioned by a guy who was literally featured in the wikipedia article on "nepotism".

No problem as long as you don't mind my long winded answer.

1. The network I worked for (SBS) would be described as the smallest major national free to air channel, so still quite significant but the projects we make weren't Mel Brooks level sort of stuff. It's also partly tax payer funded. If I had to guess I'd reckon it was maybe a 1/4 the scope and size of the BBC is to the UK?

I didn't enter the role by traditional means (if such a thing exists) at all. The network advertised for a vaguely described online Managing Editor of Comedy position. It wasn't until I was deep into the 1st interview that they revealed that it was to run a newly funded initiative they had for launching a comedy dedicated website (like Cracked or College Humour used to be I suppose) but with an angle for it to be a pathway to television for emerging artists. Before this point I had only really directed a few comedy shows at Australian and UK festivals, done some videos online and managed a large part of the program and some venues for an Australian comedy festival. Zero television or even website editing experience. For some insane reason they decided to take a punt with someone younger (I was 30) who knew a lot about what emerging comedy trends in Australia over the more experienced people they had to choose from.

Due to some really good decisions and dumb luck the website I launched ended up extremely successful (for an SBS website anyway). We had a political satire section that was generating a lot of viral articles (it was basically just The Onion but Australian) and I found that I was hitting all the website traffic targets while only using half the considerable budget they had given me . None of my direct managers were interested in comedy so I had an insane level of autonomy in the role and started making cross department deals with the channel programmers, funding initiatives with government arts agencies and funnelling most of my remaining budget into projects that could be split into 12 minute online pieces for the website but also combined together to create 24 minute TV show episodes. Using this model I got all sorts of projects made from pilot episodes, short series and even a feature films. SBS loved that they were getting cheap television made and eventually they starting referring to me as the SBS Head of Comedy. In 4 years I'd gone from being a relative nobody to someone wielding some of the most power in the country in comedy television. It was pretty wild.

Meanwhile the political satire portion of the website was creating a massive political headache for the channel with right wing figures and politicians calling up the Managing Director of the channel regularly to complain and the Murdoch press was at our throats. Eventually SBS decided to ditch the whole thing. They paid out my contract and said thanks for the hard work. I figured I'd get rehired somewhere else pretty quick but instead spent the next 2 years only being able to attach my name to some projects while getting rejected for full time work at networks (Australia's TV industry is really small and even smaller for someone whose experience was exclusively in comedy) and even though my experience got me lots of interviews in the UK, my lack of actual UK experience was obviously an issue for the people that didn't end up deciding to hire me.

Now I'm a video editor for an Australian baroque orchestra, mainly creating trailers and shooting interviews for them. I love the work, it pays really well for the workload, they really appreciate the work I do and most importantly it's very secure. I'm just so much happier (though it took me awhile to realise that not being a high power TV guy anymore didn't mean I was a total failure). The only reminding I get of the 4 years of 'high flying TV days' is when some young producer looks me up on LinkedIn and asks to meet with me for advice (which I'm happy to do), though even that is getting less and less nowadays.

2. Commissioners are human beings, some of them are idiots who fell into the role (I knew one who failed all the way up), some are really smart with years and years in the TV industry and you should really listen to them. It's unfortunately really hard to know which one you have until your well into it. The commissioners at SBS were really good, I think. I met regularly with them and it was one that I was in awe of that got one of Australia's biggest comedy/dramas off that I was thinking of when I wrote that post about getting blacklisted for not following notes. I remember her complaining about one project not following her direction and it becoming an issue. But I also remember that she could be a bit petty on occasion about certain things I didn't rank as all that important. So I can totally understand how being on the other side of that would be a total nightmare.

SBS being a government funded channel meant that some of our notes were to do with our networks charter though and breaching that was unacceptable, so our strongest network orders were probably different sort of notes than 'fire Gene Wilder'.

I can totally have seen myself doing something dumb like saying 'get rid of the farting' scene though if I didn't find it funny. Sometimes you assume that the writers know more than you and when you suggest things and it's okay when they don't follow them, other times it's an essential change you have to happen to get the project through the head of television or something. You try to clarify everything but sometimes you're juggling several projects and miscommunications happen and it can be up to the creator to read the room (a hosed and totally unhelpful thing to say I know, I'm sorry).

One thing you said totally tracks:

quote:

When you get pitched something you end up making up your whole personal vision of how you now think it is going to go sometimes the reality is that was completely different from what the creator had in mind. You can get super excited about this show not realising that your reading of the one pager or show bible you've received is not what the creator actually was trying to communicate. Or the project evolves while you're out of the picture, some projects came back different after being in the writers rooms so when I saw it again months later it wasn't what I was expecting.

I learned early on to temper my own personal disappointment when projects didn't turn out exactly the way I dreamed them but my whole job was working with emerging artists on 'low stakes' projects. I can see how if a huge flagship for the network drama doesn't turn out exactly the way the commissioner expects it can turn into a massive issue. You'd hope that they'd be sticking pretty close to it though so surprises were rare.

I'd hope that good commissioners know when to weave in and out of a project so they're not completely out of the loop and using the experience and direct line to the channel to steer the project they way they need to go without sucking the joy out of it for the creators. Doesn't always happen though unfortunately and there's no real advice (besides clearly communicate your ideas upfront) I can think of that can help you avoid having a bad experience with a lovely commissioner, it's just the luck of the draw.

Sorry for the long derail everyone! Can move to DMs if you have anymore questions.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The Neal! posted:

No problem as long as you don't mind my long winded answer.

1. The network I worked for (SBS) would be described as the smallest major national free to air channel, so still quite significant but the projects we make weren't Mel Brooks level sort of stuff. It's also partly tax payer funded. If I had to guess I'd reckon it was maybe a 1/4 the scope and size of the BBC is to the UK?

I didn't enter the role by traditional means (if such a thing exists) at all. The network advertised for a vaguely described online Managing Editor of Comedy position. It wasn't until I was deep into the 1st interview that they revealed that it was to run a newly funded initiative they had for launching a comedy dedicated website (like Cracked or College Humour used to be I suppose) but with an angle for it to be a pathway to television for emerging artists. Before this point I had only really directed a few comedy shows at Australian and UK festivals, done some videos online and managed a large part of the program and some venues for an Australian comedy festival. Zero television or even website editing experience. For some insane reason they decided to take a punt with someone younger (I was 30) who knew a lot about what emerging comedy trends in Australia over the more experienced people they had to choose from.

Due to some really good decisions and dumb luck the website I launched ended up extremely successful (for an SBS website anyway). We had a political satire section that was generating a lot of viral articles (it was basically just The Onion but Australian) and I found that I was hitting all the website traffic targets while only using half the considerable budget they had given me . None of my direct managers were interested in comedy so I had an insane level of autonomy in the role and started making cross department deals with the channel programmers, funding initiatives with government arts agencies and funnelling most of my remaining budget into projects that could be split into 12 minute online pieces for the website but also combined together to create 24 minute TV show episodes. Using this model I got all sorts of projects made from pilot episodes, short series and even a feature films. SBS loved that they were getting cheap television made and eventually they starting referring to me as the SBS Head of Comedy. In 4 years I'd gone from being a relative nobody to someone wielding some of the most power in the country in comedy television. It was pretty wild.

Meanwhile the political satire portion of the website was creating a massive political headache for the channel with right wing figures and politicians calling up the Managing Director of the channel regularly to complain and the Murdoch press was at our throats. Eventually SBS decided to ditch the whole thing. They paid out my contract and said thanks for the hard work. I figured I'd get rehired somewhere else pretty quick but instead spent the next 2 years only being able to attach my name to some projects while getting rejected for full time work at networks (Australia's TV industry is really small and even smaller for someone whose experience was exclusively in comedy) and even though my experience got me lots of interviews in the UK, my lack of actual UK experience was obviously an issue for the people that didn't end up deciding to hire me.

Now I'm a video editor for an Australian baroque orchestra, mainly creating trailers and shooting interviews for them. I love the work, it pays really well for the workload, they really appreciate the work I do and most importantly it's very secure. I'm just so much happier (though it took me awhile to realise that not being a high power TV guy anymore didn't mean I was a total failure). The only reminding I get of the 4 years of 'high flying TV days' is when some young producer looks me up on LinkedIn and asks to meet with me for advice (which I'm happy to do), though even that is getting less and less nowadays.

2. Commissioners are human beings, some of them are idiots who fell into the role (I knew one who failed all the way up), some are really smart with years and years in the TV industry and you should really listen to them. It's unfortunately really hard to know which one you have until your well into it. The commissioners at SBS were really good, I think. I met regularly with them and it was one that I was in awe of that got one of Australia's biggest comedy/dramas off that I was thinking of when I wrote that post about getting blacklisted for not following notes. I remember her complaining about one project not following her direction and it becoming an issue. But I also remember that she could be a bit petty on occasion about certain things I didn't rank as all that important. So I can totally understand how being on the other side of that would be a total nightmare.

SBS being a government funded channel meant that some of our notes were to do with our networks charter though and breaching that was unacceptable, so our strongest network orders were probably different sort of notes than 'fire Gene Wilder'.

I can totally have seen myself doing something dumb like saying 'get rid of the farting' scene though if I didn't find it funny. Sometimes you assume that the writers know more than you and when you suggest things and it's okay when they don't follow them, other times it's an essential change you have to happen to get the project through the head of television or something. You try to clarify everything but sometimes you're juggling several projects and miscommunications happen and it can be up to the creator to read the room (a hosed and totally unhelpful thing to say I know, I'm sorry).

One thing you said totally tracks:

When you get pitched something you end up making up your whole personal vision of how you now think it is going to go sometimes the reality is that was completely different from what the creator had in mind. You can get super excited about this show not realising that your reading of the one pager or show bible you've received is not what the creator actually was trying to communicate. Or the project evolves while you're out of the picture, some projects came back different after being in the writers rooms so when I saw it again months later it wasn't what I was expecting.

I learned early on to temper my own personal disappointment when projects didn't turn out exactly the way I dreamed them but my whole job was working with emerging artists on 'low stakes' projects. I can see how if a huge flagship for the network drama doesn't turn out exactly the way the commissioner expects it can turn into a massive issue. You'd hope that they'd be sticking pretty close to it though so surprises were rare.

I'd hope that good commissioners know when to weave in and out of a project so they're not completely out of the loop and using the experience and direct line to the channel to steer the project they way they need to go without sucking the joy out of it for the creators. Doesn't always happen though unfortunately and there's no real advice (besides clearly communicate your ideas upfront) I can think of that can help you avoid having a bad experience with a lovely commissioner, it's just the luck of the draw.

Sorry for the long derail everyone! Can move to DMs if you have anymore questions.
You should do an ask/tell thread! That was very interesting!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

though honestly given the initial question its pretty funny that even the guy who worked there successfully for 4 years has no idea why they hired him

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

People who are addicted to panel shows. Also there are some good Australian shows. Try My Favorite Murder with Lucy Lawless.

My Life is Murder. It's pretty decent.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

Regarde Aduck posted:

Is this why UK tv seems to have reached a nadir in the last 5 years? I just assumed brexit had broke it somehow. Everything domestic is so poo poo now, I don't know who the gently caress bothers with poo poo like britbox.

Derry girls was good. I remember when I went to the UK on behalf of SBS to meet with other networks I was very impressed with Channel 4, they seemed really ahead of the curve. Everyone else not so much.

quote:

though honestly given the initial question its pretty funny that even the guy who worked there successfully for 4 years has no idea why they hired him

It's so true. After not finding work in TV after a year I figured my problem was education and training and went to the open day for the big Australian Film and Television school to see what courses might help round my CV out a bit. When one of their head lecturers heard who I was and how I was interested in getting back into commissioning they literally said "How do you even become a commissioning editor? Maybe you should be teaching a class!"

I think that more or less broke me.

quote:

You should do an ask/tell thread! That was very interesting!

Thanks! But I don't really know if any advice I can give would even be relevant to today since it changes so much and varies from network to network plus I did a sort of ask/tell thread on GBS about directing live comedy shows many years ago but I guess it wasn't very good because one of my comedy goon friends gave me that avatar as a result.

The Neal! has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Dec 2, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What really would have been something is if Alton Brown made an actual good version of the Dream Tea.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Frank Frank posted:

These are getting very stdh lame. All started with that Kings Hand tweet and now there are ton of these wacky "Look what I dreamt about and I made it HAPPEN isn't that CRAZY?" things.

I don't know I had a recipe dream once and I did feel a strange urge to try to make it. Maybe dreams are contagious the way yawns are.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Page 1000 dance

https://twitter.com/pikapies/status/1466177958893211650

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/SophNar0747/status/1466367207454171136

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

:eyepop:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cringed so hard I pulled a muscle in my face and now look like I had a stroke

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why does the sound cut out and get replaced with a dull whine and blood coming out of my ears?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Splicer posted:

Why does the sound cut out and get replaced with a dull whine and blood coming out of my ears?

Yeah Australian accents aren't great

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

SimonSays posted:

actually they're welsh

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SimonSays posted:

Somewhere, a kiwi bird just shed a single tear

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
look I think if we can't tell canadians and USA'ians apart fair is fair and they shouldn't be able to tell us apart either

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I thought the first person was pretty okay, and was all "ehh, it's a bit eggy, but there's a nice voice/flow/delivery"

And then

and then

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

look I think if we can't tell canadians and USA'ians apart fair is fair and they shouldn't be able to tell us apart either

They're like "where's the car?" and we're like, "where's the car?"

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Gonna be honest here, I just knew Jeremy Wells from off of Taskmaster NZ. Would have had no clue otherwise

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Someone's a little too in love with their reflection.

https://twitter.com/mcs212/status/1466235416009445384?s=20

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Beeswax posted:

Gonna be honest here, I just knew Jeremy Wells from off of Taskmaster NZ. Would have had no clue otherwise

Lol likewise. I may have been able to key off the slightly more...I don't know how to put it, but NZ accents I feel skew towards an 'e' sound while Aussie accents are more towards an 'a' sound, but the moment it loaded I thought 'oh hey isn't that the NZ taskmaster?....he's a news guy??'

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Morpheus posted:

he's a news guy??'

He used to be a Newsboy but now he's a news MAN

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Morpheus posted:

Lol likewise. I may have been able to key off the slightly more...I don't know how to put it, but NZ accents I feel skew towards an 'e' sound while Aussie accents are more towards an 'a' sound, but the moment it loaded I thought 'oh hey isn't that the NZ taskmaster?....he's a news guy??'

Easy trick: Kiwi accents have flattened vowels with an u sound vs Aussies who drag out e sounds. Fish and chips / “feeesh and chips” = Australian, “fush and chups” = New Zealand. And if the sheepfucking joke targets Aussies, it’s a Kiwi, if the sheepfucking joke targets Kiwis then it’s an Aussie, and if they’re calling British people poms followed by anything derogatory it’s a toss-up.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
In the Kiwi excint every vowel is converted to a short I. Very simple.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

zakharov posted:

In thə Kiwi ixcint iviri viwil is cinvirtid ti i shirt I. Viri simplə.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I had to add the 'Adrien BROdy, Ay Drien Brody' bit in myself, afterwards.

Song should've been this anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBFuzr_GnqQ

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

:woop: postin on a thousand :woop:

https://twitter.com/KittenWorm/status/1465777198535626752?s=20

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/celestelabedz/status/1464641249634226181

https://twitter.com/mayaisfiya/status/1465419503982968839

https://twitter.com/danielleiat/status/1466134266832695296

https://twitter.com/MarksLarks/status/1465928892280188929

https://twitter.com/ChrisJacksonSC/status/1466168047157366786

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh great, so now they've turned the chickens gay too? I'm never eating a egg again. #traditionalmarriage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

coolusername posted:

Fish and chips / “feeesh and chips” = Australian,

theees eees correeect, darlink. ve oustrayleeeans looof to suuck yoour bloooood