Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Zalakwe posted:

If there is a smoking gun on this I reckon Boris is done, possibly even without one if the by-elections go badly.
Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Zalakwe posted:

If there is a smoking gun on this I reckon Boris is done, possibly even without one if the by-elections go badly.

I don't think that many people will still care about last Christmas tbh. It would have been incredibly damaging at the time, but I think people care more about what's gonna happen this Christmas than some people who were illicitly partying during the last one.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The covid was just a cover story for the times he needed hospitalisation from getting the poo poo kicked out of him by ostriches.

*throwing table over* those were RHEAS

ChairmanGoesWoof
Jul 12, 2016

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The covid was just a cover story for the times he needed hospitalisation from getting the poo poo kicked out of him by ostriches.

Allegedly

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

At least one of those times was because he refused to poo poo every day and he had so much poop clogging him up that he had to get it pumped out of his nose.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

sinky posted:

Remember two weeks ago when it emerged that he was doing special favours for the woman he was having an affair with? Something he had previously denied?

Yeah, :matters:

The thing is voters don't care about that, they do care about Covid rules, a lot. Or at least like to in public.

If he loses those two by-elections I reckon the Tories will at least move against him. All this briefing is coming from his own side, they smell blood.

The Perfect Element posted:

I don't think that many people will still care about last Christmas tbh. It would have been incredibly damaging at the time, but I think people care more about what's gonna happen this Christmas than some people who were illicitly partying during the last one.

I think they will purely because it's Christmas again, this is the thing about crises, they come back on anniversaries.

Borrovan posted:

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

Realism.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

What will they do when he inevitably sweeps the byelections, though?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Zalakwe posted:

The thing is voters don't care about that, they do care about Covid rules, a lot. Or at least like to in public.

If he loses those two by-elections I reckon the Tories will at least move against him. All this briefing is coming from his own side, they smell blood.

He's the fall guy for something sooner or later, they just haven't settled on what.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

At least one of those times was because he refused to poo poo every day and he had so much poop clogging him up that he had to get it pumped out of his nose.

He stopped the ostriches kicking the poo poo out of him and within months he was hospitalised because he was so constipated it was compressing his diaphragm and causing him hiccups. It's a tale as old as time.

Tesseraction posted:

*throwing table over* those were RHEAS

Can't decide between a Road To Hell joke and a particularly stretched diarrhoea pun.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
The centrists will use the Tory's winning by-elections in two mega safe seats as 'proof' Labour need to be even more right wing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He stopped the ostriches kicking the poo poo out of him and within months he was hospitalised because he was so constipated it was compressing his diaphragm and causing him hiccups. It's a tale as old as time.

Can't decide between a Road To Hell joke and a particularly stretched diarrhoea pun.

"Die." - a rhea

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I don't think "the public don't care about it" is the real reason. I think the press don't care about it and dont want looking into blatant corruption to be a thing that's treated seriously so they'll mention it in passing and then move on. If the press wants you to care you'll care. If they have to smother you in coverage you'll loving care, damnit.

I mean the press spent 1 week talking about the blatant corruption within the tory party that's been going on for a decade and it caused the first major dip for the Conservatives of Starmer's leadership. Now they've moved on and things return to normal. If the press wanted to they could wipe the tory party off the face of the earth within a month.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

josh04 posted:

What will they do when he inevitably sweeps the byelections, though?

At least one of them - North Shropshire - is going to be very close, the Lib Dems leaked some postal vote preference data showing them about 10 points behind. They have done that at by-elections they are close on recently in an effort to get their vote out. Similar data in Chesham and Amersham showed them 23 points behind. Every time they have used the tactic they have won. If you like a flutter I would get some on.

Reports that Labour very active in the other seat and Bojo visiting a lot which points to it being at risk.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

"Die." - a rhea
Dire Rheas.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Johnson wasn't even at the party and they can get away with saying all covid restrictions were followed as apparently the legislation used to make the covid rules has an exception for downing street. Which should be more of a "...you loving what?"

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

I don't think "the public don't care about it" is the real reason. I think the press don't care about it and dont want looking into blatant corruption to be a thing that's treated seriously so they'll mention it in passing and then move on. If the press wants you to care you'll care. If they have to smother you in coverage you'll loving care, damnit.

I mean the press spent 1 week talking about the blatant corruption within the tory party that's been going on for a decade and it caused the first major dip for the Conservatives of Starmer's leadership. Now they've moved on and things return to normal. If the press wanted to they could wipe the tory party off the face of the earth within a month.

Maybe. Once something goes on a while it all just becomes noise. Particularly if there is nothing particularly new to sustain it. The Christmas party story is better in that way as it's new news, as opposed to something everybody knew already. Can anyone remember the name of the bloke with the duck house? I can't without googling.

Polls may bounce back but they haven't yet and the PMs approval - often a better indicator of election results than voting preference - has completely and utterly tanked. Now all sorts of stuff that wouldn't have surfaced or stuck is starting to - there is a reason the Christmas story is only coming out now and not last year.

It doesn't help of course that the opposition leader does things like consider taking his own consultancy gig, or slap down their deputy's big speech on corruption by organising a reshuffle they didn't tell her about during it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

stretched diarrhoea
*looking at the AI image generator button*

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gonzo McFee posted:

w...why?!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Convex posted:

He's the fall guy for something sooner or later, they just haven't settled on what.

Boris is going to be the fall guy for all of it. He led the charge on Brexit, he's directly responsible for the failures of the COVID response, and he's personally involved in every bit of Tory corruption to a level deeper than anyone else. And because he was the leader and was worse than them, he can't even mount a "you too" defence when they come for him.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Zalakwe posted:

At least one of them - North Shropshire - is going to be very close, the Lib Dems leaked some postal vote preference data showing them about 10 points behind. They have done that at by-elections they are close on recently in an effort to get their vote out. Similar data in Chesham and Amersham showed them 23 points behind. Every time they have used the tactic they have won. If you like a flutter I would get some on.

Reports that Labour very active in the other seat and Bojo visiting a lot which points to it being at risk.

in North Shropshire in 2019 the Lib Dems were 30k votes behind the Tories and in 3rd place, they're just doing their usual thing of making poo poo up and hoping they can take votes away from Labour

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A nice poo is one of life's simplest pleasures, it's truly a sign of madness to reject it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The Perfect Element posted:

I don't think that many people will still care about last Christmas tbh.
Yet still it made number 1 last year, smdh

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Johnson wasn't even at the party and they can get away with saying all covid restrictions were followed as apparently the legislation used to make the covid rules has an exception for downing street. Which should be more of a "...you loving what?"
All those lazy political comics to the effect of "we followed the rules: one rule for us...", except literally

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

in North Shropshire in 2019 the Lib Dems were 30k votes behind the Tories and in 3rd place, they're just doing their usual thing of making poo poo up and hoping they can take votes away from Labour

Of course it's a squeeze message, it's a loving by-election. In Chesham and Amersham they were 26,000 behind... In Richmond Park they were 33,000 behind.... They won each time. Labour will be deliberately doing very little and I imagine will even have some activists out for them.

Crazy poo poo happens in by-elections, particular when crap governments and individual candidates become the story. It's by no means a sure thing but there might be an upset.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I find it unhelpful that Keir decided to wait until now to bring up the No 10 party, literally 2 days after we enter into a situation where we need increased compliance from the public to wear masks etc.
Just what was he trying to achieve? Wouldn't you hang on to this until a time when it could be more damaging to Boris, and more importantly, less damaging to public health?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Zalakwe posted:

The Lib Dems entire electoral strategy is just to lie about how close they are to winning.
It ranges from plain text "We are the only ones who can beat the Tories" to "We're only 5 points behind on this poll of 100 Lib Dem members we commissioned" to infographics that break just about every unspoken law of infographics.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

DaWolfey posted:

I find it unhelpful that Keir decided to wait until now to bring up the No 10 party, literally 2 days after we enter into a situation where we need increased compliance from the public to wear masks etc.
Just what was he trying to achieve? Wouldn't you hang on to this until a time when it could be more damaging to Boris, and more importantly, less damaging to public health?

Counterpoint - maybe it has more traction now we’re moving back to enhanced measures rather than before where people would be like “oh how naughty but it’s all fine now so I can’t bring myself to be bothered”

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Red Oktober posted:

Counterpoint - maybe it has more traction now we’re moving back to enhanced measures rather than before where people would be like “oh how naughty but it’s all fine now so I can’t bring myself to be bothered”

Perhaps, but I think it could bring back the "Well if they won't comply then why should I?" thinking that happened last time, especially after Barnard Castle.
I would argue that the public health compliance concern is currently stronger than yet another ""Tories bad" story which as has already been discussed, seem to be completely ineffectual after a week anyway.
I'm not saying it's not worth attacking the Tories over at all, of course it is, but right now?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Publishing what essentially amounts to an exit poll of postal voters sounds like the sort of thing that should be illegal imo.

It's illegal to talk about the actual postal votes,* or to release "actual" exit polls before the polls close, this is, at best, skeevy as gently caress.

*, LAURA!

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

kingturnip posted:

The Lib Dems entire electoral strategy is just to lie about how close they are to winning.
It ranges from plain text "We are the only ones who can beat the Tories" to "We're only 5 points behind on this poll of 100 Lib Dem members we commissioned" to infographics that break just about every unspoken law of infographics.

I know this. A long time ago now I was a Lib Dem campaign manager (now reformed, haven't even voted for them in over a decade). Regardless it is good tactic for winning by-elections and if you have enough canvass data you can also predict election results very accurately.

Borrovan posted:

Publishing what essentially amounts to an exit poll of postal voters sounds like the sort of thing that should be illegal imo.

It's illegal to talk about the actual postal votes,* or to release "actual" exit polls before the polls close, this is, at best, skeevy as gently caress.

*, LAURA!

It's not an exit poll though as it's not of actual votes, they can just give a lot of certainty given how likely postal voters are to actually vote. It's basically just a poll.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 2, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Zalakwe posted:

Of course it's a squeeze message, it's a loving by-election. In Chesham and Amersham they were 26,000 behind... In Richmond Park they were 33,000 behind.... They won each time. Labour will be deliberately doing very little and I imagine will even have some activists out for them.

Crazy poo poo happens in by-elections, particular when crap governments and individual candidates become the story. It's by no means a sure thing but there might be an upset.

….no? In Chesham and Amersham they were 16k behind, in Richmond Park they were 23k behind, and crucially in both of those constituencies they were the second party

the Tory majority in North Shropshire in 2019 was greater than the entire LD vote

e: I’m not saying the Tories will definitely win, but if they lose I can’t see any way it’s to the LDs (5600 votes in 2019) and not Labour (12500)

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 2, 2021

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zalakwe posted:

I was a Lib Dem campaign manager

This is like those book titles such as 'I was a KGB spy' except infinitely more boring I expect

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

….no? In Chesham and Amersham they were 16k behind, in Richmond Park they were 23k behind, and crucially in both of those constituencies they were the second party

the Tory majority in North Shropshire in 2019 was greater than the entire LD vote

e: I’m not saying the Tories will definitely win, but if they lose I can’t see any way it’s to the LDs (5600 votes in 2019) and not Labour (12500)

So I'm not great with me tens it seems, I should make bar charts!

Being second does help them obviously and if the Tories lose it will be a huge shock. They might do though. I reckon it's going to be tight.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

This is like those book titles such as 'I was a KGB spy' except infinitely more boring I expect

Being involved in target seat campaigns is actually really exciting, you can ignore things like what the actual policies are and just saturate the area with as much of your candidate's face as possible while declaring all other things bad. Everything is held together by sticky tape and breaking constantly. You end up sleeping on the floor of offices and come within egging distance of Nick Clegg.

Despite not being a supporter anymore I can't say I would change it, at the time it felt like the right thing and Labour weren't any better. Most folk I know at my level got out when it started to get really bad, some have stuck around either because they are true ideologues or just because political parties are like football teams, hard to ditch even when they suck.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zalakwe posted:

Despite not being a supporter anymore I can't say I would change it, at the time it felt like the right thing and Labour weren't any better. Most folk I know at my level got out when it started to get really bad, some have stuck around either because they are true ideologues or just because political parties are like football teams, hard to ditch even when they suck.

I know a guy in Manchester who was a Lib Dem activist for years who packed it all in recently. I think the Lib Dems abandoning Remain/Rejoin as a policy upset him and then some kind of trans or LGBT thing?

They know TinTower, too, iirc :shobon:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/BrendaGround/status/1466416680607830037

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

feedmegin posted:

I know a guy in Manchester who was a Lib Dem activist for years who packed it all in recently. I think the Lib Dems abandoning Remain/Rejoin as a policy upset him and then some kind of trans or LGBT thing?

They know TinTower, too, iirc :shobon:

Lib Dems were really strong on LGBT before other major parties so there are a lot of people from those communities involved - or there were a decade ago. I've no idea what it's like now but I can imagine trans issues being a big talking point in the party.

I should stress there isn't really much you need to believe about the world to be a Lib Dem, it's ideologically really light. Some parties and political groups behave like religions while it's far more akin to a social club.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 2, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mugsbaloney posted:

Anyone got a link to Uighur stuff that isn't 2 degrees of Kevin bacon from Adrian Zenz?

Read this. The New Yorker may be liberal but its fact checking is second to none. It’s a really terrifying article.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/04/12/surviving-the-crackdown-in-xinjiang

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

therattle posted:

Read this. The New Yorker may be liberal but its fact checking is second to none. It’s a really terrifying article.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/04/12/surviving-the-crackdown-in-xinjiang

LOL literally quotes Zenz, good job

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

therattle posted:

The request was for something that wasn't a two degrees of separation from Zenz.

Radio war nerd did an episode on it back in 2018, which I think is unfortunately patreon exclusive.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

It's also 17000 words long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Got to assume the Lib Dems have fallen down the TERF-hole? That whole scene is right in their wheelhouse.