Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

destroy all cars. crush them into tiny cubes and fling them into outer space

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

destroy all cars. crush them into tiny cubes and fling them into outer space

better yet, i'd turn all cars into tiny cubes for bricking pedestrian walkways everywhere :twisted:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

use a rail gun to launch car cubes into other cars

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

There are a lot of flashing yellow pedestrian death zones that cross the middle of the street around here, it does not matter if you push the button or do not push the button people will usually not stop for you because they have no idea what these zones are.

There is a story about someone getting run over in these "crossing zones" like every 2 weeks
We have some of these on certain streets and they work sometimes. My favorite is they only show up on the streets that got the road diet treatment and on the 4 lane superhighway the next street up the BOT put up some flags on the crossing signs and said, "good luck lol"

I actually really like these things, they are much better at getting cars to stop:
https://www.portland.gov/transportation/engineering/details-how-pedestrian-hybrid-beacons-work

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

If I don't hit the button at my busy street I get like 10 seconds to cross. Gotta make sure to hit it after I cross just to make sure all the drivers get an extra 20 seconds of mild inconvenience (carbrain suffering).

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol this morning after i dropped my kid off at daycare, i saw off in the distance a school bus stopped in front of an apartment picking up kids, red lights flashing, stop sign out. like five cars just zoomed right by the schoolbus, and when i stopped in the lane (which you are supposed to do!!!!) the person behind me laid on his horn and then roared past me. awesome driving culture we have here. this was on a residential street too, one lane each way, not even a fuckin stroad. poo poo like this makes me want to drive my son to school when he's older, it's less than a mile away but with fuckin drivers like this...

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

lobster shirt posted:

lol this morning after i dropped my kid off at daycare, i saw off in the distance a school bus stopped in front of an apartment picking up kids, red lights flashing, stop sign out. like five cars just zoomed right by the schoolbus, and when i stopped in the lane (which you are supposed to do!!!!) the person behind me laid on his horn and then roared past me. awesome driving culture we have here. this was on a residential street too, one lane each way, not even a fuckin stroad. poo poo like this makes me want to drive my son to school when he's older, it's less than a mile away but with fuckin drivers like this...

the school busses where I grew up had a big arm with a stop sign that would swing out to block anybody who might try and pass. imo something that should be mandatory for public transit and also possibly equipped with shaped charges on the tip to obliterate any overly aggressive cars

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

The stop sign on the bus is very much in use in Canada

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

https://ikanreed.net/other/allpowerful.mp4

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

still lolling at "big bike"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

Wolfy posted:

We have some of these on certain streets and they work sometimes. My favorite is they only show up on the streets that got the road diet treatment and on the 4 lane superhighway the next street up the BOT put up some flags on the crossing signs and said, "good luck lol"

I actually really like these things, they are much better at getting cars to stop:
https://www.portland.gov/transportation/engineering/details-how-pedestrian-hybrid-beacons-work

My wife was crossing one of these in Bellevue and caused a car that wasn't paying attention to stop quick then the idiot tailgating behind smashed into him. She had no interest in being a witness and bounced. I love the story every time she tells it.

All that aside set up those pop up pylons like they have in front of military bases around these crossings. That'll teach drivers what the flashing light mean toot sweet.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Some of the pedestrian crossings in Auckland have pressure plates under the footpath on either side, so when somebody steps on them to start walking across a bunch of lights both on poles either side of the road and also embedded into the road start flashing to alert cars. It's actually pretty effective, especially at night. Also if you're old as gently caress like me and listen to AM radio in the car you can hear the radio signals used to make the lights flash playing over the speakers as a high frequency tone that's in sync with the flashing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Is that the woman who compared bike sharing in nyc to the holocaust

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Blackhawk posted:

Some of the pedestrian crossings in Auckland have pressure plates under the footpath on either side, so when somebody steps on them to start walking across a bunch of lights both on poles either side of the road and also embedded into the road start flashing to alert cars. It's actually pretty effective, especially at night. Also if you're old as gently caress like me and listen to AM radio in the car you can hear the radio signals used to make the lights flash playing over the speakers as a high frequency tone that's in sync with the flashing.

Those are the kind that kill people in the US because drivers aren’t expecting them in the middle of the block and aren’t always sure what to do. The kind linked above that involve an actual overhead red light seem to work better because I guess it is more obvious what you are supposed to do when a normal red signal comes on compared to a bunch of flashing yellow LEDs at different places.

When the red light comes on people stop then look around to figure what just happened. With the flashing yellow LEDs they do the same but in the opposite order and may not get to the stopping step in time.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

withak posted:

Those are the kind that kill people in the US because drivers aren’t expecting them in the middle of the block and aren’t always sure what to do. The kind linked above that involve an actual overhead red light seem to work better because I guess it is more obvious what you are supposed to do when a normal red signal comes on compared to a bunch of flashing yellow LEDs at different places.

When the red light comes on people stop then look around to figure what just happened. With the flashing yellow LEDs they do the same but in the opposite order and may not get to the stopping step in time.

You know the thing a reasonable person would do in an unfamiliar driving situation would be to slow down until they could figure out the nature of their surroundings. Not us though.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

My extensive training in Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic has taught me that only nuclear power plant workers should have personal automobiles, in order to prevent a single railway traffic jam from causing power outages that ultimately destroy the entire country

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

How about instead of banning cars we just put the FAA in charge. Every new car you buy requires a new type certification. (real) yearly inspections, repair logs, the whole deal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

You know the thing a reasonable person would do in an unfamiliar driving situation would be to slow down until they could figure out the nature of their surroundings. Not us though.

Gotta get to work.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

How about instead of banning cars we just put the FAA in charge. Every new car you buy requires a new type certification. (real) yearly inspections, repair logs, the whole deal.

Would be better to have the muni take care of all that and just employ professionals to drive everyone else around. Perhaps going around a loop on some sort of schedule? idk

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nomad2020 posted:

tesla auto drive poo poo is like MCAS but somehow even worse

in other news i got to scream at a loving stupid old grandma today who almost hit me on my bike and she was definitely way too old and bad at driving to be on the road :cool:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

BraveUlysses posted:

in other news i got to scream at a loving stupid old grandma today who almost hit me on my bike and she was definitely way too old and bad at driving to be on the road :cool:
lol, if it was this morning it's completely possible the same old woman nearly ran into me whilst I was out for my morning run. She puttered up to a residential roundabout, clearly confused, then yanked a hard right directly in front of me and floored it

but it's also completely possible that it's a completely different ancient relic because our society makes it extremely difficult for the elderly to get by without driving and literally just laugh off grandma coming home with increasingly large dings in her car

Cugel the Clever has issued a correction as of 07:00 on Dec 2, 2021

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Can we at least hold them to trucker standards? Logbooks and get randomly pulled over for inspections? We can put the excessive fines towards your hyperloop idea.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cugel the Clever posted:

but it's also completely possible that it's a completely different ancient relic because our society makes it extremely difficult for the elderly to get by without driving and literally just laugh off grandma coming home with increasingly large dings in her car

old people are very very scared of Those People on public transit even if they can easily take a bus or trolly to cvs to pickup their dementia meds instead of driving 8000 lbs of plastic n steel through the corpses of children wondering what that bump was. oh well must just be my hernia acting up

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Someone Photoshop me a "'Nothing could have been done to prevent this' says nation with 10x more traffic violence than any other" Onion headline quick

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Xaris posted:

old people are very very scared of Those People on public transit even if they can easily take a bus or trolly to cvs to pickup their dementia meds instead of driving 8000 lbs of plastic n steel through the corpses of children wondering what that bump was. oh well must just be my hernia acting up

its almost like planning residential areas far away from essential services is a bad thing

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Palladium posted:

its almost like planning residential areas far away from essential services is a bad thing
maybe but you considered they no longer had to worry about those people walking in on sidewalks, that they purposely obstructed in their newly founded residential burbs, and stealing their tv?? many peaceful nights of sleep. many sides imo

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Someone Photoshop me a "Chad mixed-use-development independent urban coffee shop vs. virgin suburban chain coffee drivethrough" meme quick

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

nomad2020 posted:

NZ at least has yearly or 6-monthly government required car inspections (depending on the age of the car) which do actually get refused frequently for safety issues. That said, the inspections are all done by private garages that I presume have to get some kind of certification from the government to perform them, and I'm sure there are some dodgy ones you can go to and pay to pass. It's probably nowhere near as strict as in Germany which I hear actually has very rigid and frequent safety inspections.

Driving tests should absolutely be mandatory every X number of years though, and more frequently over 60 or something, and not just theory tests but actual practical driving tests too.

The council here has proposed changing my street and a number of other local streets from 50 kph (~31 mph) down to 30 kph (~19 mph) due to there being a number of schools and daycare centers here. On the one hand 30 kph feels absurdly slow driving down the length of the street, but on the other hand gently caress it it's actually pretty fast for a bicycle and why would you ever need to go along a suburban street faster than that? Our cat was run over and killed on the street a few years ago so I'm all for slowing everything the gently caress down.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

nomad2020 posted:

also every time you want to drive, you have to file a flight plan, or uh, drive plan. by fax, maybe. you have to then sit in your car and wait for a control tower to call you and tell you that your street is clear, and boy we have a bunch of cars on the road right now so they might keep you waiting for half an hour or more, and you have to do the exact same poo poo when you're coming home. you also need a copilot in your car and if you do anything stupid, there goes your license.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

also every time you want to drive, you have to file a flight plan, or uh, drive plan. by fax, maybe. you have to then sit in your car and wait for a control tower to call you and tell you that your street is clear, and boy we have a bunch of cars on the road right now so they might keep you waiting for half an hour or more, and you have to do the exact same poo poo when you're coming home. you also need a copilot in your car and if you do anything stupid, there goes your license.

this plan starting to sound a lot like being in a rally car at all times, think i could get down with this

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

My mother in law :/

My grandfather didn't stop driving until he drove into a ditch and the family took his license away. My grandmother kept driving into her nineties. Their generation got shoved into retirement homes that are never near amenities. The boomer generation is building whole new suburbs to retire into because their old suburbs weren't good enough. They're going to be in a bad spot when they can't drive as well.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:sickos:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Cugel the Clever posted:

my grandmother doesn't drive any more, but she drove for like 20 years despite having no idea how cars worked

While she was driving, my dad asked her "how much gas is in the tank?" She immediately shot back "120." After a minute of confusion, he realized that's just the highest number on the speedometer. She didn't know what anything on the dashboard meant.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I think it's cool that some old folk places ban cars but have golf carts instead. Think we should do that everywhere. Rob the cars of the dignity that results of being insulated death machines.

Polo-Rican posted:

my grandmother doesn't drive any more, but she drove for like 20 years despite having no idea how cars worked

While she was driving, my dad asked her "how much gas is in the tank?" She immediately shot back "120." After a minute of confusion, he realized that's just the highest number on the speedometer. She didn't know what anything on the dashboard meant.

Oh jeeze oh no

Gabagool posted:

If I don't hit the button at my busy street I get like 10 seconds to cross. Gotta make sure to hit it after I cross just to make sure all the drivers get an extra 20 seconds of mild inconvenience (carbrain suffering).

Pro strategy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Polo-Rican posted:

Holy poo poo lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tulip posted:

I think it's cool that some old folk places ban cars but have golf carts instead. Think we should do that everywhere. Rob the cars of the dignity that results of being insulated death machines.

They ban them???? My mom's over-50 neighborhood is full of golf carts, but they all still have cars because they're in the middle of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005