Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I know a bunch here like Lock Picking Lawyer......

(Yes not car stuff other than locks are in cars)

Secuirty conference talk by LPL that is eye opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH0GXWQDk0Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
:catstare:
The explanation for why he keeps his identity secret is worth watching the first 5 minutes for.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

the spyder posted:

The explanation for why he keeps his identity secret is worth watching the first 5 minutes for.

Yeah agreed. drat creeps.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Yeah agreed. drat creeps.

That and he has an industry he is exposing who clearly are not happy with him airing all their dirty secrets. A 2 second attack on a high end lock with the actual attack method going back to 1934 is present today and unfixed? That was dumbfounding.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

the spyder posted:

I thought the video with the lingerie was a gag he made up. :catstare:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That and he has an industry he is exposing who clearly are not happy with him airing all their dirty secrets. A 2 second attack on a high end lock with the actual attack method going back to 1934 is present today and unfixed? That was dumbfounding.

I am adding some combs to my shopping list though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Uthor posted:

I thought the video with the lingerie was a gag he made up. :catstare:

I'm still not convinced it isn't but in this world both are seriously possible.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Just a bunch of wankels ripping around Okayama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YINxuBAQ6M

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

More OH&S nightmares

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs76hBQdcCY

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This guy's channel "I Do Cars" is one of my current favorites. He's got a bunch of fully-AI cars, and runs a parts shop. He does weekly engine teardowns of engines and has done everything from Honda 4 cylinders to Mercedes V12s to Viper motors. Super chill guy, good to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWptQGpXA_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUREdhv0vWI

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This collection rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSZ9YL5e3nY

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

meatpimp posted:

This guy's channel "I Do Cars" is one of my current favorites. He's got a bunch of fully-AI cars, and runs a parts shop. He does weekly engine teardowns of engines and has done everything from Honda 4 cylinders to Mercedes V12s to Viper motors. Super chill guy, good to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWptQGpXA_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUREdhv0vWI

Yeah, I posted a few of his teardown vids a while back, I'm glad he's getting views. Him leaning into the whole "you look and talk like Adam Sandler sometimes" schtick is pretty good, and his teardowns of esoteric engines you don't often see, like the viper V10 from a couple months ago and the Merc V12 from this last week are fascinating.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

spookykid posted:

Yeah, I posted a few of his teardown vids a while back, I'm glad he's getting views. Him leaning into the whole "you look and talk like Adam Sandler sometimes" schtick is pretty good, and his teardowns of esoteric engines you don't often see, like the viper V10 from a couple months ago and the Merc V12 from this last week are fascinating.

Oh dang, you probably turned me on to him with your earlier posts... thanks!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

spookykid posted:

Yeah thanks man, I've turned all the car guys at work on him as well. Its amazing how asmr-like engine teardowns are.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thanks for that. I love the LPL

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I do cars just posted his bmw collection and it's good.

He's definitely one of us.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Also, I used to work for AAA in Utah and I'm laughing at what Matt's off-road recovery was doing to defraud them. Amazing that he posted straight up evidence of fraud to YouTube!

It's a common practice in the towing community at least in Utah, but c'mon man, you telling on yourself when you post it to the internet. (I was not a tow truck driver but worked for corporate. I'm sure their lawyers are having a field day with this.)

My wife was like 'ohhh poo poo Matt's in trouble!' last night and I was immediately like 'i wonder if it has to do with AAA billing'

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 2, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Also, I used to work for AAA in Utah and I'm laughing at what Matt's off-road recovery was doing to defraud them. Amazing that he posted straight up evidence of fraud to YouTube!

It's a common practice in the towing community at least in Utah, but c'mon man, you telling on yourself when you post it to the internet. (I was not a tow truck driver but worked for corporate. I'm sure their lawyers are having a field day with this.)

My wife was like 'ohhh poo poo Matt's in trouble!' last night and I was immediately like 'i wonder if it has to do with AAA billing'

Oh no! Matt's one of my go-tos recently... what'd he do?

Edit: found it. :(

https://www.ksl.com/article/50295575/utah-youtuber-charged-with-collecting-fraudulent-claims-from-aaa

Edit2: I'm seriously bummed about this. That was one of my go-to channels and not I've got the moral conundrum of the fact that I've unsubscribed and ignored a number of wacko-right-wing car channels, and I don't see a way I can do anything but put Matt's channel on the "No-fly" list to not be hypocritical...

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 2, 2021

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
"Utah Youtuber" is such a great turn of phrase. All Youtube videos should come from Utah.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

meatpimp posted:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50295575/utah-youtuber-charged-with-collecting-fraudulent-claims-from-aaa

Edit2: I'm seriously bummed about this. That was one of my go-to channels and not I've got the moral conundrum of the fact that I've unsubscribed and ignored a number of wacko-right-wing car channels, and I don't see a way I can do anything but put Matt's channel on the "No-fly" list to not be hypocritical...

That... sucks. poo poo.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You can always watch Casey's channel. He showed Matt the ropes back in the day, then had a falling out recently. Probably because he knew what Matt was up to.

Casey's off road recovery.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

How does Matt's towing revenue compare to his youtube revenue? (serious question, I don't know how this works)

e: and regardless of how the criminal complaint resolves, if AAA blacklists his tow company, they're done, right? Or are there enough police calls to keep the lights on?

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 3, 2021

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This series is the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vs2tdR-9C8

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

ryanrs posted:

How does Matt's towing revenue compare to his youtube revenue? (serious question, I don't know how this works)

e: and regardless of how the criminal complaint resolves, if AAA blacklists his tow company, they're done, right? Or are there enough police calls to keep the lights on?

the base youtube agreement is 50/50 on ad revenue and his videos usually get over a half million views, he is easily making more from youtube than AAA in my opinion, but losing AAA will definitely hurt.

He also has a following though, and has been building ties in the off-roading community so it may be possible to pivot the channel away from just recoveries.

Notice that once the channel blew up he built a new office and revamped the yard and had a custom recovery rig built and whatever, that's all youtube money.

It sucks he played dirty but in the grand scheme i'll wait this out to see what happens... even with fraud he's still been better than a bunch of other youtubers so heh

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I for one am not even remotely annoyed at someone defrauding an insurance company. gently caress insurance companies.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I for one am not even remotely annoyed at someone defrauding an insurance company. gently caress insurance companies.

praxis

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah I'm ok with this. They'll get em out.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There's a difference between defrauding an insurance company and telling someone that's in a predicament "just get an AAA membership, file a claim in 3 days and I'll back date the invoice." That's just orchestrated fraud of a third-party that had nothing to do with the predicament.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
While I agree that defrauding an insurance company is a lot better than being a straight up bigot, and I haven't fully given up on his channel yet, i definitely agree with meatpimp in that telling someone you'll haul building supplies across the state to them for free if they sign up for AAA and then file a fraudulent claim so that your company collects thousands for services that were never rendered is pretty drat shady.

Like that's a lot different than say towing someone out of a spot that's technically not covered by AAA and just changing the start location so AAA pays, or someone getting the insurance company to fix some extra things that weren't caused in the same accident or something.

Also, having worked for AAA Utah, their insurance wing is like all insurances but this isn't actually their insurance wing that was defrauded, it's the roadside assistance department. And that's the one department I always stood behind 100% - it's a great service at a reasonable price and defrauding that part of the company specifically really doesn't sit too well with me.

It's like the people who abused REI's return policy, that's just not cool.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 3, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

meatpimp posted:

There's a difference between defrauding an insurance company and telling someone that's in a predicament "just get an AAA membership, file a claim in 3 days and I'll back date the invoice." That's just orchestrated fraud of a third-party that had nothing to do with the predicament.

I mean if he's doing that, it just makes me like him more. Helping people out costing them very little but loving over the insurance company? Dude's a loving hero.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Also, having worked for AAA Utah, their insurance wing is like all insurances but this isn't actually their insurance wing that was defrauded, it's the roadside assistance department. And that's the one department I always stood behind 100% - it's a great service at a reasonable price and defrauding that part of the company specifically really doesn't sit too well with me.
Was going to ask this as it's what I suspected.

I have zero love for insurance companies, but I think this is different.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I should clarify too that AAA ncnu isn't even an insurance company. AAA is the roadside assistance company and it's a non profit.

The policies sold as "AAA insurance" are actually sold and underwritten by CSAA (and are a ripoff and you shouldn't buy them.)

He was defrauding the non profit, not CSAA

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 3, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

He was defrauding the non profit, not CSAA

In which case I change my stance.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

meatpimp posted:

always cringed at the lady in his videos who wasnt smart enough to wear a seatbelt

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I mean if he's doing that, it just makes me like him more. Helping people out costing them very little but loving over the insurance company? Dude's a loving hero.

if you read the article they were absolutely committing fraud, like filing a claim for a tow but it was actually to pay for a delivery of materials

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

if you read the article they were absolutely committing fraud, like filing a claim for a tow but it was actually to pay for a delivery of materials

Olympic Mathlete posted:

In which case I change my stance.

:clint:

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Given my own adventures, I kinda expect to one day defraud AAA a little, maybe fudging the actual vehicle location a bit so that it's covered, that sort of thing. So what I did is I signed up for one of their pricier service levels, and I did so when I started doing these adventures, not the first time I needed a tow. It may not go according to the letter of the contract, but it seems fair-ish to me.

Matt's fraud doesn't sound like this. I think what he did was a lot more fraud-y.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/CU8XTlFcbiU

enough insurance chat, let’s watch some melted vertebrae

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 4, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

He does pick car looks too, btw. You know how it's going to go when the whole video of picking an Explorer is 2 minutes: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eVZ67dcY9_g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

meatpimp posted:

This sucks but "everyone who drives a two truck is dishonest" can now move from the "*almost everyone" brain folder back to the "usefully true stereotypes" folder.

That folder is pretty much that and "be skeptical of local cops".