Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Karloff posted:

I was under the impression that Disney do own Spider-Man, and the character is just licensed to Sony, yet Disney's hands are tied because they're obliged to honour that license until the point where Sony lose interest in making Spider-Man films (which they never will). I think Disney can still make TV Spider-Man stuff without Sony, and they're going to with that upcoming MCU Spider-Man animated TV show set in between the films on DPlus.

Most of the the rumours about it being Holland's last came from Holland himself, so I do suspect it was a bit of public negotiation. This statement from Pascal implies they've rolled up the dump trucks of money to Holland's house.

The deal used to also include TV Spider-Man but Sony signed those back over a few years back in exchange for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

the deal Disney/Marvel Studios and Sony struck after their earlier blowup in 2019 was for at least two films (NWH and an as-yet-unrevealed Marvel Studios film), so that was never going to happen in NWH, actually

I figured when I saw the release order of Spider-Man - Doctor Strange that the 2nd movie would be Doctor Strange 2 as a sort of cameo/co-lead. Raimi getting hired on for DrS2 got my mind racing even more.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Karloff posted:

I think Disney can still make TV Spider-Man stuff without Sony, and they're going to do so with that upcoming MCU Spider-Man animated TV show set in between the films on DPlus.

The most recent two animated series have been from Disney. Spectacular Spider-Man was the last one made under Sony.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Can't wait til Holland's take on "Spider-Man No More!" and the Clone Saga

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah but is there really a world where Spider-Man is making near as much money with Venom and Morbius as he is in the MCU? The Sonyverse is an odd, largely hypothetical notion. So I just assumed Disney could always offer more than what any reasonable accountant thought Sony could make on its own.

I mean maybe not as much but over the years I think it's been proven that people just like Spider-Man and will watch whatever he's in.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Remake Jet Li’s The One but with Spider-Men

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Remake Jet Li’s The One but with Spider-Men

holy poo poo yes

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
who gets to angrily proclaim he's nobody's bitch at the end

is it kaine

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

OnimaruXLR posted:

who gets to angrily proclaim he's nobody's bitch at the end

is it kaine

jackal ben reilly

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

hiddenriverninja posted:

Can't wait til Holland's take on "Spider-Man No More!" and the Clone Saga

Spider-Man: Sins Past (2024)
Spider-Man: One More Day (2027)
Spider-Man: Reign (2030)

EDIT: The last will just be an edit of the Zombie Iron Man scene from FFH with Tom shouting "MISTER STAAAAARK? EVERY FLUID!"

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Spider-Man: Sins Past (2024)
Spider-Man: One More Day (2027)
Spider-Man: Reign (2030)

EDIT: The last will just be an edit of the Zombie Iron Man scene from FFH with Tom shouting "MISTER STAAAAARK? EVERY FLUID!"

So Mephisto confirmed?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mephisto is always confirmed

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hope it’s 4th wall breaking Mephisto and he talks to the audience directly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Karloff posted:

I was under the impression that Disney do own Spider-Man, and the character is just licensed to Sony, yet Disney's hands are tied because they're obliged to honour that license until the point where Sony lose interest in making Spider-Man films (which they never will). I think Disney can still make TV Spider-Man stuff without Sony, and they're going to do so with that upcoming MCU Spider-Man animated TV show set in between the films on DPlus.

Most of the the rumours about it being Holland's last came from Holland himself, so I do suspect it was a bit of public negotiation. This statement from Pascal implies they've rolled up the dump trucks of money to Holland's house.

This is correct, but Sony would like people to think they have the rights, they'll even do wild stuff like pay for exclusive dlc with Spider-Man to only go on PlayStation versions of games

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tickets are on sale but I don't know what's going to happen COVID-wise between now and then so who knows if I'm actually gonna go.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

it's just Adam Sandler in the devil suit he wore in Dirty Work

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lobok posted:

Tickets are on sale but I don't know what's going to happen COVID-wise between now and then so who knows if I'm actually gonna go.

Covid isn’t going away.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CelticPredator posted:

Covid isn’t going away.

Yeah but I mean specifically if our province is going to have a special Christmas episode of The Lockdown Chronicles.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

it's just Adam Sandler in the devil suit he wore in Dirty Work

Adam Sandler but he's Little Nicky

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Yeah but I mean specifically if our province is going to have a special Christmas episode of The Lockdown Chronicles.

We won't but you probably should be avoiding theaters anyway.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mephisto confirmed for Crypt-Keeper

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

So it's the spidey movie gonna break a record?

Also lol, in my country we got some dudes that actually got in a fight over tickets:
https://youtu.be/RkybaRltmCg

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lobok posted:

Oh you’re in a place with lockdowns lol

I remember “lockdown”

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I mean, even if you aren't in a place with lockdowns, you should probably think long and hard about whether you want to go to a sure-to-be-packed movie premier when there is a new strain out there that is more infectious then Delta and may be vaccine-resistant. Like, would you be comfortable seeing this in theaters if it had a 1% chance of being the direct cause of your death? How about 2%? 5%, 10%?

At absolute minimum go in there with a respirator and goggles.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 2, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We're nearly two years into living with this virus. People know the risks out there. We don't need posts trying to admonish people every time they talk about going to a movie. If people don't know the risks at this point that's on them and something we don't need to continue to go on about in the Comic Book Movie Thread.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How about extending the spoiler rule until home media releases then? Some of us are not going to see films in theaters (like myself, since we have a daughter who's just turning 1, and can't go to theaters). I'd like to avoid the Spider-Man spoilers until I get a safe chance to watch it, via Disney+ or UHD, or what have you. But I don't want to unbookmark this thread for 3 or more months.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

IUG posted:

How about extending the spoiler rule until home media releases then? Some of us are not going to see films in theaters (like myself, since we have a daughter who's just turning 1, and can't go to theaters). I'd like to avoid the Spider-Man spoilers until I get a safe chance to watch it, via Disney+ or UHD, or what have you. But I don't want to unbookmark this thread for 3 or more months.

There are going to be news articles from major outlets with spoilers in the title or accompanying photo on the day it’s released. Good luck man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel starts to post spoilers themselves across their various outlets after like 10 days.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think stuff that will become general knowlage could be unspoiled, but other stuff may not.

Like if Spider-Ham appears in No Way Home and the next day everything is full of "Spider-Ham explained!" then ya, maybe not spoil that. But when Spider-Ham and Aunt May get married at the end, then that should be spoiled.

Or maybe thats to complex and those who have seen the movie could just spoil everything, or those who have not stay out of the thread (That's less reasonable though)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neverzemind

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean even with the state of the world now I think it's a bit unreasonable to ask people to use spoiler tags for three months. This is the internet. If you don't stumble on it here you will somewhere else. Someone on social media will spoil it, a thumbnail on Youtube in your recommended will spoil it, or any number of websites will have articles like "WHO IS PASTE POT PETE? GLUE EXPLAINED!" plastered all over them. Pandemic or no we don't live in a world where that's a reasonable request.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's basically impossible to avoid spoilers when it's something major. With a movie like this I could stay off the net for months (theoretically, I actually couldn't) but still be in line at the grocery store and overhear two dudes talking about how all three Spider-Men made out at the end of No Way Home.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m surprised you haven’t heard anything about NTTD yet.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

It's basically impossible to avoid spoilers when it's something major. With a movie like this I could stay off the net for months (theoretically, I actually couldn't) but still be in line at the grocery store and overhear two dudes talking about how all three Spider-Men made out at the end of No Way Home.

They'd have specially branded cans of Mountain Dew, with a different Spider-Man on each flavor.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

To be fair I've not seen the Eternals and managed to read this thread with ease and not get spoiled by skipping past spoiler tagged posts. The only thing I heard was people were mad about something to do with Hiroshima, but I don't know exactly what. That said, Eternals was far less anticipated than NWH.

Also hearing all those stories about the difficulty getting tickets made me find it weird how easily I got them. Just casually went onto the cineworld app today and got centre seats, though this is in the UK and everyone here is a miserable prick so maybe no one wants to see Spider-Man.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Do I need to watch Eternals before Spider-man? Is there something in Eternals that should be relevan?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nothing about Eternals was relevant lol.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

New Wave Jose posted:

Do I need to watch Eternals before Spider-man? Is there something in Eternals that should be relevan?

You should be good. If you see a really strange new Wonder of the World or sightings of God in some background news report just chalk it up to Multiverse shenanigans.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m surprised you haven’t heard anything about NTTD yet.

Speaking of, I didn’t see that until it hit streaming - so two months or so since release - and yeah, somehow managed to remain completely unspoiled. So the OP might be able to manage it. But it would take some discipline, a bit of luck, and probably giving up this thread in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Aphrodite posted:

Marvel starts to post spoilers themselves across their various outlets after like 10 days.

They switch from "don't spoil this!" to literally doing it themselves so quickly