Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DerekSmartymans posted:

I have epic/steam/origin linked to GoGGalaxy because there is one spot I can look at my whole library. I have Prime Gaming (which I kicked myself because, like Prime Music, I never used for 8 years of a Prime membership because I thought they cost extra; internet was a metered commodity in my house for 15 years) and itch.io as well, plus the various mods on Nexus and I still update Battle.net in case I want to see new stuff if WoW survives Activision’s cash-grab meddling much longer. It’s fun getting multiple price-competitive emails about wishlist games per day, as finding the best price on a non-exclusive is nice (like CP2077), even if I’m ultimately waiting-down the price longer while playing the backlog. I might jump on Elex2 day 1 though, that jet pack is too addictive and if my gnome could’ve engineered one as a “flying mount” I’d probably still be playing WoW right now :smug:

I uh personally wouldn’t be giving cash to Blizzard until they get a new CEO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I hear there are folks who do that type of thing right here on this very forum :v:

I at the very least liked how Phoenix was depicted in that game and it made for a nice maturation of his character after like eight years of timeskip between the end of the original trilogy and 4. He seemed a lot calmer and more collected, more like he had his poo poo together, and I was kind of disappointed when he reverted to form when he got his badge back in 5.

l o l I’m not doing an LP that takes work and the entirety of my brain power is being nervous about buying a new house in a week with my partner.

Also imho (imho!!!!) 4 Phoenix felt like an entirely different character.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Commander Keene posted:

I at the very least liked how Phoenix was depicted in that game and it made for a nice maturation of his character after like eight years of timeskip between the end of the original trilogy and 4. He seemed a lot calmer and more collected, more like he had his poo poo together, and I was kind of disappointed when he reverted to form when he got his badge back in 5.

Yeah I did find it odd how Phoenix still acted like a rookie in Dual Destinies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

K8.0 posted:

The increasing curtailing of downtime in DMC and similar games, the pacing of the more beloved modern shooters like Doom, the popular wave of retro shooters that hardly ever stop throwing enemies at you. Hades I dislike for other reasons, but the game never makes you stop for more than a few seconds. Even the downtime between runs is really not that long. I'd even say the way modern platformers like Mario Odyssey just let you go go go, engaging the mechanics as long as you like without ever stopping aside from plot.

It's not that pacing has no place. It's that disrespecting the player's time has no place, and people are getting less tolerant of certain kinds of bad design.
What? The ratio of downtime to action in DMC5 and Hades are basically the same as in Monster Hunster.
I played all of those games to death.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Serephina posted:

Yea, for all the weird toxicity and bandwagoning that has arisen from Steam reviews/discussions, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives imo.

Is that Steam-derived only, though? Trolling (is it “trolling” if you completely believe in what you are posting?) has existed even pre-internet, and especially places like Steam or Twitter or any place where you can immediately create a brand new free account with zero effort or consequences if banned, does that really still bother people? I don’t mean like your free niche Etsy forum about your favorite knitter getting invaded by bronies, but like earnest cryptobros never seem particularly bothered on this very forum when it’s 90 billion posts dunking on them on a personal level. They never quit or listen or change for years, and if banned for trolling or being dicks it does have consequences to your account! I guess maybe if you have unlimited real funds to rereg but it might as well operate free-to-you if $thousands are couch-cushion leavings (no effective consequence).

Can’t I block commenters on Steam if they are trolling my, well, I guess I can’t think of anything I’ve ever blocked before online (except spam of every ideology :colbert:, but when your email account is close to a quarter-century old you end up with a lot of spam every day).

Seriously though, I haven’t really felt the need maybe because I don’t really read dumb (personal to me for various different reasons) Steam reviews, but can’t you block Nazis and Marxists or whatever on there? Nobody discusses the Steam UI much, or the mobile apps, for that matter. I make most of my “buy” decisions on the iOS app via word of mouth and tiny screen pictures/videos, and only use the PC version to actually download and play games. Am I missing some functionality by doing this?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kibayasu posted:

Most hubs are fine because they’re usually small with everything clustered around but the absolute worst hubs I ever had to go through were the ones in Guild Wars 2.

From what I heard the Horde hub in WoW’s previous expansion (Battle for Azeroth) was a horrible mess to transverse, and all the important buildings were far and multiple height-levels away from each other. My Troll Rogue never got high enough level to see it, though.

What made it worse is my main (Alliance) char hub was one of the absolute best “hub” experiences in any game I’ve ever played. All the important, always-needed activities (from crafting to banking and everything else) were all on the same stretch and level as the auto-travel system (griffins). There are quests and activities all over the place, and pickpocketing kids in the low-rent district, rabble-rousing protesters, and even a ward full of aggressive gangers and brutes to attack or just stealth through. It was fun, convenient, and beautiful even on a GTX970.

Any single player RPGs with “fun” hubs like that? Fantasy or Sci-fi or any setting, really. I always level slowly because I love exploring places fully.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

punk rebel ecks posted:

Were those Layton vs Wright games any good?

If I'm not crossing wires mentally, they had a plot point in one game about why the other games weren't good.

DerekSmartymans posted:

horrible mess to transverse

Pervis posted:

aren't compulsive like their older sibling,

Autocorrect is the bane of our modern age.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jack Trades posted:

What? The ratio of downtime to action in DMC5 and Hades are basically the same as in Monster Hunster.
I played all of those games to death.

And the modern Doom games are padded with all sorts of poo poo that is very definitely not constant action.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

StrixNebulosa posted:

l o l I’m not doing an LP that takes work and the entirety of my brain power is being nervous about buying a new house in a week with my partner.

Also imho (imho!!!!) 4 Phoenix felt like an entirely different character.
I was just making a tongue-in-cheek comparison after you said "I want to post ALL THE SCREENSHOTS", not telling you to do an LP.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

StrixNebulosa posted:

I uh personally wouldn’t be giving cash to Blizzard until they get a new CEO.

That’s what I’m hoping will happen, too. I gave up my WoW sub several months ago, and tbh I don’t want to fund some last minute golden parachute, either. I don’t blame the company for having a lovely CEO, but I do blame them for not doing something about it once it was revealed. And all the Activison mandated changes to squeeze coins from a cash cow that bothered me before learning about stuff behind the scenes as well.

Edit:
The main thing I hate about the majority of my posts being via Awful App (on an iPhone’s rules) is autocorrect.

Traverse!!!!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 2, 2021

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

DerekSmartymans posted:

Any single player RPGs with “fun” hubs like that? Fantasy or Sci-fi or any setting, really. I always level slowly because I love exploring places fully.

Planescape Torment, although that might be cheating since like 80% of the game is in the hub. You can't walk ten paces without running into a quest or interesting dialogue or a reminder of your past lives. Really, the places outside the hub are less engaging. Disco Elysium, its spiritual successor, is similar.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I'll also say that Amnesia: The Dark Descent, had lovely hubs. They were an excellent way to pace out the game and give breathing room. Plus, like with Silent Hill 4, sometimes they became corrupted, adding a layer of unease and insecurity to a previously safe place.

Still one of the best horror games I ever played (or watched, because I'm simultaneously a lover of horror games and also a big baby. I only managed Amnesia because it didn't have jump scares, the bane of my existence).

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
The true endgame of MH World was fashion and the hub created some fantastic backdrops for glam. Hubs are good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cowcaster posted:

huh i always thought that was part of the crpg diaspora of the late 90's early 00's but for the first time in my life i investigated it further and it was quantic dreams first game? still learning new things, every day!

This is one of those games I remember reading an article on in a magazine as a kid and being convinced it was going to be the greatest game ever made, and then never seeing anything from it again

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My brothers and I finished Valheim a few days ago. I wanted more, so last second I got Conan Exiles for 11 bucks before the sale ended.

Running around the desert with my cock out just so I can carry more iron home.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Xanderkish posted:

Planescape Torment, although that might be cheating since like 80% of the game is in the hub. You can't walk ten paces without running into a quest or interesting dialogue or a reminder of your past lives. Really, the places outside the hub are less engaging. Disco Elysium, its spiritual successor, is similar.

I played that one as a first-day purchase, as I love and own the complete set of all the original AD&D PS setting and adventures. And the Enhanced Edition but honestly I don’t know if it’s from Steam or GoG along with Baldur’s Gate 1&2 EEs, and the Icewind Dale series EE, too. Haven’t played the two IWD games yet, but I was unaware they even existed until six months ago. EverQuest & WoW pretty much took up my game-playing time since 1999 with very few competitors like KotOR I&II or XWing: Alliance. I want to try some newer StarWars games, but I’m waiting for deeper discounts. I don’t even remember if they are on my wishlist yet, but Sqadrons was fun as hell and BFII multiplayer looks fun!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I don't want to spoil everything with a guide, but is there any mechanical stuff in FFtactics I should know about? Heal harms some enemies, which surprised me. It didn't look undead. I'm kind of dithering on classes, and it's not the kind of game I want to waste tons of XP. I don't really like the bargain on class XP. I've got monk, knight, black mage, time mage, and another knight. I'm at a place where thief is supposed to be available, but I don't see it on my character who has archery III. I guess you could just tell me the best classes!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Honestly I'd read about how Faith, Bravery and Zodiac Signs work. This is all from memory but:
Zodiac Signs give better/worse to-hit rates depending on the signs. Many people choose certain Zodiac signs for Ramza just to have better odds against certain bosses, or try to coordinate their team's Zodiac signs to make skills, magic and such more powerful.
Faith controls spellcasting - high Faith means you deal more damage with spells, while low Faith equals less magic damage dealt and received. Can't be hurt by something you don't believe in!
Low Bravery means a character may abandon you forever if it drops below 5. You want to keep Bravery high. That said, there are hidden items throughout many battles, some of which you never revisit, which can only be acquired by stepping on the right tile with a character with low Bravery.

Re: exp you can always grind battles to earn JP and EXP. I'd say JP is much more important than EXP, since that's what you use to buy skills. How odd, Thief should be unlocked if your character has already leveled Archer up to 3.
Re: best classes - Mathematician is infamous for breaking the game on its knee if you plan around expected enemy levels and such so that the formulas are in your favor (OFS' LP of Tactics showcased just how absurd that could get) since they hit everyone with their skills. Honestly FFT is all about mixing and matching class skills, but Ninja is a fan favorite IIRC (I might be getting mixed up with Ogre Tactics LUCT though)

Azran fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 2, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Been watching some gameplay previews for the very pretentiously named Chorvs and it looks really neat. Graphics/skyboxes are amazing and the idea of a spaceship with Dishonored powers is such a perfect concept it makes you wonder why it hasn't been done before. I hope it reviews well because I don't think I've played a space shooter with actual cutting-edge visuals since Rogue Squadron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czu1k-hcCzM

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

quote:

the idea of a spaceship with Dishonored powers is such a perfect concept it makes you wonder why it hasn't been done before

People need to stop sleeping on the great Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages!

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

goferchan posted:

This is one of those games I remember reading an article on in a magazine as a kid and being convinced it was going to be the greatest game ever made, and then never seeing anything from it again

The Super Best Friends LP of the game is a must watch. Everything about Omikron is loving bonkers and their sanity gradually eroding over the course of it is highly entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691RrF9pnaU

Just be warned in advance: the entire LP is 17 1/2 hours long.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Baller Time posted:

People need to stop sleeping on the great Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages!

Ring Runner is a fantastic game, like holy poo poo, I paid so little for it based on this thread's recommendation and it really is loving awesome. It is a no brainer for anyone remotely interested in top down shooters. Hell, it even has good writing.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mescal posted:

I don't want to spoil everything with a guide, but is there any mechanical stuff in FFtactics I should know about? Heal harms some enemies, which surprised me. It didn't look undead. I'm kind of dithering on classes, and it's not the kind of game I want to waste tons of XP. I don't really like the bargain on class XP. I've got monk, knight, black mage, time mage, and another knight. I'm at a place where thief is supposed to be available, but I don't see it on my character who has archery III. I guess you could just tell me the best classes!
IIRC there is an Undead status effect that some of the monsters have by default but can also be applied to basically any unit. It turns healing into damage and dark damage into healing, but also causes the unit to resurrect when their death timer ticks down completely instead of crystalizing or dropping an item IIRC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want to like Mortal Shell but combat feels really clunky and stiff, the game ignoring checkpoints every now and then and shoving me further back isn't helping either, nor is how slow the menus are to navigate. Still, it's probably one of the better Soulslikes and it has a sense of humor about itself it seems like

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I really hope Chorvs is good, dishonored control rogue squadron sounds like a mind bogglingly mix of gameplay elements that's either gonna be a mess or be really loving cool

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Was Chorvs the weird Geiger-esque game with all the slimy alien wangs they showed at like E3 last year maybe? Or was that something else?

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

That was SCORN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOhpLNLd334

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

explosivo posted:

Was Chorvs the weird Geiger-esque game with all the slimy alien wangs they showed at like E3 last year maybe? Or was that something else?

Chorvs is actually pronounced Chorus it just has a weird stylized U that looks like a V that we're all riffing on, and no it's a space shooter that is devoid of fleshy xeno wang

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Psycho Landlord posted:

Chorvs is actually pronounced Chorus it just has a weird stylized U that looks like a V that we're all riffing on, and no it's a space shooter that is devoid of fleshy xeno wang

No I know it's just fun to call it Chorvs. Also thanks it looks like SCORN was what I was thinking of.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's chorvs, actually

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

quote:

New Expansion For Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning, Fatesworn, Releases On December 14th!

Vienna, Austria, December 2, 2021 - Almost 10 years ago, a legendary RPG was born: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. This year on December 14th, the journey of the Fateless One continues. After the Crystal War has been fought and Gadlow has been defeated, the people of Amalur were hoping for peace to return to their lands. And although peace has indeed come to Amalur, rumors of a new threat are starting to spread, rising in the far west, the icy lands of Mithros. None other than Telogrus, the God of Chaos himself has awoken and is gathering followers to throw the whole world into chaos!

The upcoming expansion Fatesworn offers a brand new storyline, a new environment, various new quests and missions, new Chaos Realm dungeons all over Amalur, a new gameplay mechanic, new weapons and armor, new enemies, and much more. It will raise the level cap to 50, and even features a new soundtrack by famous composer Grant Kirkhope. Fatesworn requires the base game Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning.

Watch the Fatesworn Trailer: https://youtu.be/-1QwUzlsti8
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning & Fatesworn on Steam: https://thqn.net/koa-steam
Download the latest assets: http://n.thq.com/L2ac30qWtCQ

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Fatesworn will release December 14th, 2021 for PC, Xbox One™, and PlayStation®4 at an SRP of $ 19.99 / € 19.99 / £ 17.99 on all platforms. The Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Fate Edition includes both, the base game and the upcoming Fatesworn Expansion and is available at an SRP of $ 54.99 | € 54.99 | £ 44.99.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hear Chvrches is doing the soundtrack.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/OskSta/status/1466059785703460870

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This also just went on PC gamepass last night btw

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've now refunded 90% of what I bought during the Autumn sale and I'm convinced I'm not going to like any video games any more.

Except Satisfactory. Dumped 100 hours into that already.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Mescal posted:

I don't want to spoil everything with a guide, but is there any mechanical stuff in FFtactics I should know about?
Enemies scale with your highest character level in the roster, not the one send to the battlefield.

Story enemy except monster have fixed level, but they gets better equipment to keep up. Good place for thief to steal stuff not available in shop or knight break to destroy their advantage.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Been watching some gameplay previews for the very pretentiously named Chorvs and it looks really neat. Graphics/skyboxes are amazing and the idea of a spaceship with Dishonored powers is such a perfect concept it makes you wonder why it hasn't been done before. I hope it reviews well because I don't think I've played a space shooter with actual cutting-edge visuals since Rogue Squadron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czu1k-hcCzM

chorvs

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Haha I seriously did not notice the name of the game was Chorus

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

does Chorvs have achorvements

or intrusive anti-chort measures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Squiggle posted:

Haha I seriously did not notice the name of the game was Chorus

it's not, though