Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Unless I'm misunderstanding, that's to be expected. You don't need the lid on to saute.

[edit: Sounds like I am misunderstanding and you were sautéing the onions and then went to pressure cook. Nevermind!]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Yeah sorry, not very clear! Manual pressure cook mode, but just using the heat up time to saute. But it began counting down without the lid on, let alone actually being up to pressure.

I'm guessing some debris in one of the sensors, or just a dead controller/sensor.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
What's the consensus on the air fryer lid (for a standard 6qt IP duo)? We do not have AC in our kitchen, so we're trying to use the IP more during the summer since it contains its heat more than the stove/oven. I was wondering if the air fryer lid would open up a lot more recipes or if it's just a flashy toy that doesn't really have too many applications.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Some people love it but bear in mind the cooking volume is pretty small, especially in a 6qt. Wirecutter has a review of the 8qt combo unit but the add-on lid probably performs similarly. They think the lid is probably more useful for crisping up the tops of dishes or browning cuts of meat that have been cooked using the pressure cooker.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have it on the 8 qt. My take is that it's simply okay. I think it's a lot more of a pain to use than other air fryers and it probably doesn't work as well. If you have the space, I'd get a dedicated air fryer. If not, its probably worth getting. Just keep in mind that the kid itself is also fairly big and bulky.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
If I had the money I'd get a good fan forced convection oven in my wall/range, replacing the not-fan-forced convection oven in my wall/range. Not another device that takes up cupboard storage.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

They're quite different in practice - we've got a couple convection ovens in the wall (I don't think you can really get anything that's not convection anymore over here? There might be a few), but we still use the air fryer for chips and wings as its much faster and the tiny volume makes for greater crispness.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

pim01 posted:

They're quite different in practice - we've got a couple convection ovens in the wall (I don't think you can really get anything that's not convection anymore over here? There might be a few), but we still use the air fryer for chips and wings as its much faster and the tiny volume makes for greater crispness.

For what it's worth, I have never rented an apartment that had a convection/fan forced oven but I'm poor and have only lived in cheap old places. I dream about central air, convection and double/triple pane windows.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Does anybody have experience making bowl-steamed pork belly in a pressure cooker? I have a bunch of ya cai and a bunch of pork belly but I'd rather not run the stove for two hours right now if I can avoid it.

Can I just stick a bowl on the steamer rack over some water and come back in 30 minutes or is it more complicated than that? I have the Instant Pot with a Steam button if that matters.

Trip report: Followed the initial steps from the Fuchsia Dunlop/Serious Eats recipe and then cooked it in the IP using the Steam setting at high pressure for 30 minutes and a natural release (the cook time I'd normally use for braised pork belly). The texture of the meat was tender but still intact in a way you wouldn't get from a normal braise. Rinsing the ya cai first probably would've been a good idea because it's pretty salty when used in this kind of quantity but otherwise I was very happy with how the big pile of funky, fatty pork turned out.

lavaca fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 12, 2021

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Stolen from TGO, apparently popcorn cannons are a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta5jh9VglDw

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bit of a necro, I have the insta pot duo 6l, the ninja air fryer max and the higher end instant pot.

The duo has a non stick inner basket that in theory turns it into a small size air fryer, 5 chicken legs to the ninja’s full 1kg. The duo’s trivet is too high and too small.

In reality to air fry a chicken you would buy one of the stainless steel trivet and basket sets from China or the insta pot silicon set and ignore the inner basket.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I have an old Mirro 12qt stovetop PC but its gasket is stretched out and hard to get to seal anymore, and they don't exist anymore. The third party company that used to make new gaskets for them stopped making them and all of those gaskets are gone; I bought one on ebay, the only place it was supposedly in stock, and what they sent me was totally wrong. Any suggestions? Am I just out a pressure cooker?

... and any recommendations for a new 12-16qt stovetop PC that will work on induction? I mostly use it for chicken stock; once or twice a year I make two full pots of stock, most of which gets boiled down to 1/3 and frozen into knockoff demiglace cubes that i throw into savory things or just use as demi-glace all year. And right now I'm down to like 8 cubes with no resolution to the gasket situation :ohdear:.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

poverty goat posted:

I have an old Mirro 12qt stovetop PC but its gasket is stretched out and hard to get to seal anymore, and they don't exist anymore. The third party company that used to make new gaskets for them stopped making them and all of those gaskets are gone; I bought one on ebay, the only place it was supposedly in stock, and what they sent me was totally wrong. Any suggestions? Am I just out a pressure cooker?

... and any recommendations for a new 12-16qt stovetop PC that will work on induction? I mostly use it for chicken stock; once or twice a year I make two full pots of stock, most of which gets boiled down to 1/3 and frozen into knockoff demiglace cubes that i throw into savory things or just use as demi-glace all year. And right now I'm down to like 8 cubes with no resolution to the gasket situation :ohdear:.

I have a this one

https://www.kuhnrikon.co.uk/pressure-cookers/duromatic-inox-pressure-cooker-long-handle

And I would say it's really good. I use it on an induction hob almost every week.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Anyone have a good technique or recipe for risotto in an instant pot? It’s the main reason I caved and bought one a few years ago but so far it just comes out like glue.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I used black rice, it looked “interesting”/dreadful but didn’t do the glob of gloop thing

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

blk posted:

Anyone have a good technique or recipe for risotto in an instant pot? It’s the main reason I caved and bought one a few years ago but so far it just comes out like glue.

What recipes have you tried? So far I like Amy and Jackie's recipes for most instant pot things, they seem to put a lot of effort into making them right. I haven't tried their risotto though. I should.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-risotto/

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 9, 2021

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I've used this recipe from Kenji and it came out perfect:
https://www.seriouseats.com/pressure-cooker-mushroom-risotto-recipe

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

couldcareless posted:

I've used this recipe from Kenji and it came out perfect:
https://www.seriouseats.com/pressure-cooker-mushroom-risotto-recipe

Seconding this.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the corn risotto recipe on SE is great too

https://www.seriouseats.com/pressure-cooker-corn-risotto

because you get to make these with the leftovers:

https://www.seriouseats.com/elote-corn-risotto-pancake-riselotes-recipe

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

NPR Journalizard posted:

Seconding this.

A hearty third. Goes fantastically with a steak.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

blk posted:

What recipe are you using?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I use this recipe
https://www.seriouseats.com/pressure-cooker-miso-risotto-recipe

Which I think is the same essential recipe as the mushroom one posted.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If I'm making chicken stock which I then reduce to almost nothing, am I better off filling my stovetop pressure cooker to its safe upper limit, or just enough to cover the chicken since I'm going to reduce it anyway?

I couldn't figure this one out - on the one hand I'm just going to reduce it afterwards, but on the other hand I didn't know if less water would be less effective at drawing out the chickeny goodness.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Just cover the chicken.

I go 3 hours and then reduce slightly. Pour into ziplock bags and freeze them flat. That way I can snap off what I want when I want.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Could I get some instant pot recipe site suggestions that use grams and liters instead of units like oz, pound, ounce, gallon and cup?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
https://www.unitconverters.net/volume-converter.html

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
The only thing to watch is fluid ounces vs ounces in weight. It can lead to some problems, though mostly with baking.

No, a recipe will not always tell you what you type of ounce it is. Usually a US recipe will be using a fluid ounce measuring cup to do everything with so that's a good starting place, at least.

Btw Amy + Jacky recipes use metric measures as well.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Sininu posted:

Could I get some instant pot recipe site suggestions that use grams and liters instead of units like oz, pound, ounce, gallon and cup?

I recommend importing it into https://www.paprikaapp.com/ and converting the whole recipe there

edit - you can also scale recipes really easily with it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
honestly, cup is the bane of European cook's lives along with stick. Utterly meaningless to us, and I doubt there is a single person on this entire continent who won't immediately close the page on seeing it - like what the blazes is "a cup of squash"??? like you need to know the weight of squash you need to cut up and mash to make a cup in the first place????

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I hate it when a recipe calls for a cup of something that has a wildly inconsistent volume. Especially if it's something like ice cubes that would be mega easy in metric.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know where to get replacement parts for the Duo SV? Instant pot apparently doesn't support the retailer exclusive models at all and I need a new pressure release handle. There's one on amazon that says it fits but not all of the reviews agree with that.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I frequently make chicken stock in my stovetop pressure cooker. How important is it to pre-cook any vegetables before cooking at pressure? I ask because someone once warned me of the more piquant raw onion or garlic aromas infiltrating the stock if they aren't cooked off beforehand. Is this a valid concern or a waste of time pre-cooking?

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I frequently make chicken stock in my stovetop pressure cooker. How important is it to pre-cook any vegetables before cooking at pressure? I ask because someone once warned me of the more piquant raw onion or garlic aromas infiltrating the stock if they aren't cooked off beforehand. Is this a valid concern or a waste of time pre-cooking?

I made turkey stock this year and used raw onions/garlic and it was fine, just like last year, however I don't have a comparison of pre-roasting or anything so I can't comment on the relative flavor.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i've put onions/garlic in a million pressure cooker stocks, it's no big deal

not the same flavor as using roasted but only because it lacks the browned notes, not because it's bad

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
:siren:SYSTEM MESSAGE:siren:

REPLACE THOSE OLD-rear end GASKETS

My ten-year-old bigass Presto suddenly bowed out at the bottom. Because I'm stuck with a poo poo flattop electric that makes it unusable. They said it was overheated trying to maintain pressure with an old gasket and they wouldn't replace it. (DICKS!) They said that the owners' manual tells you to change the fuckin gasket so suck it.

(I had replaced the emergency blowout hole plug thing but not the main gasket because it fuckin seemed fine.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

pr0k posted:

:siren:SYSTEM MESSAGE:siren:

REPLACE THOSE OLD-rear end GASKETS

My ten-year-old bigass Presto suddenly bowed out at the bottom. Because I'm stuck with a poo poo flattop electric that makes it unusable. They said it was overheated trying to maintain pressure with an old gasket and they wouldn't replace it. (DICKS!) They said that the owners' manual tells you to change the fuckin gasket so suck it.

(I had replaced the emergency blowout hole plug thing but not the main gasket because it fuckin seemed fine.

How often did/do you use your cooker? I have a five year old stainless Presto that I use about once a week. The gasket seems to be in fine shape, but the blowout plug is starting to dry out and occasionally falls out during washing and I figure I'll have to replace that sooner or later. May as well do both at the same time.

Also I just checked current prices versus how much I paid and it's going for almost double what I paid. Thanks, Obama.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
One thing I love about the All American canner is metal on metal seal, no gasket. Just a new blow out nubbin every year or so.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

The Midniter posted:

Also I just checked current prices versus how much I paid and it's going for almost double what I paid. Thanks, Obama.

Years ago I paid $10 at an estate sale for my Presto 23 quart canner/cooker. I thought that was a bargain until last year when I scored an All American and a few dozen lids for $5 :D

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Can anyone recommend a stovetop pressure canner that can also be used for cooking, is of a decent size and, most importantly, is easily available in the UK? Am I asking for something that doesn't exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Can anyone recommend a stovetop pressure canner that can also be used for cooking, is of a decent size and, most importantly, is easily available in the UK? Am I asking for something that doesn't exist?

John Lewis. Way back in the day it was co-op department stores who had the market on stainless steel stove tops and when they went under the range of pressire cookers available here tanked.