Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Yeah, he trained people in WCW for a bit and he spent his wrestling money wisely, buying commercial properties and earning money from those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MrBling posted:

Yeah, he trained people in WCW for a bit and he spent his wrestling money wisely, buying commercial properties and earning money from those.

It's always interesting to see the folks who did that sort of thing. I know Boss Man set his family up really well doing the same thing. Sting got his head on straight while making ATM Eric money so he didn't actually need the WWE and could basically do what he wanted as I understand it. I think I've heard the same about John Tenta.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Different Rick, but when it comes to real estate this one always amuses me.

https://ricksteiner.atlcommunities.com/

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Dog Faced Gremlin Estates

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

It's always interesting to see the folks who did that sort of thing. I know Boss Man set his family up really well doing the same thing. Sting got his head on straight while making ATM Eric money so he didn't actually need the WWE and could basically do what he wanted as I understand it. I think I've heard the same about John Tenta.

Tito Santana, I think it was, also did this. He was considered a weird guy backstage for saving and investing his money instead of blowing it on drugs and women.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Tito Santana, I think it was, also did this. He was considered a weird guy backstage for saving and investing his money instead of blowing it on drugs and women.

He still wrestles but I think he's able to be choosy about paydays, I believe he also is a substitute teacher in Texas?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He still wrestles but I think he's able to be choosy about paydays, I believe he also is a substitute teacher in Texas?

A middle school Spanish teacher and part time wrestler, at 68.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

A middle school Spanish teacher and part time wrestler, at 68.

There are worse fates. I think about someone like Brutus Beefcake, who is dependant on the business completely, and can't even be bothered to be professional when he's booked.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There are worse fates. I think about someone like Brutus Beefcake, who is dependant on the business completely, and can't even be bothered to be professional when he's booked.

Oh yeah I don't blame him at all if he's enjoying what he's doing. George Steele did the same thing, after all.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, so did Tito Santana leave and come back like Steamboat and that's why he was given El Matador? Or was it just for the hell of it?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I didn't know that about Tito Santana, but I love it. Good for him.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, so did Tito Santana leave and come back like Steamboat and that's why he was given El Matador? Or was it just for the hell of it?

I think he had a really brief hiatus in 91 before taking on that new character. He didn't pop over to WCW or anything.

This was an interesting tidbit I'd never heard before. Not sure how true it actually is, but interesting to think about if it actually did go this way:

quote:

Santana claims that at the time he was being considered for a run with the WWF World Heavyweight Championship, but says that the spot was given to Bret Hart;[7] the WWF was considering expanding into Central America and South America and felt that having Santana, its most high-profile Latino wrestler, as champion would aid its cause. The plan was eventually scrapped and the decision was made to expand into Canada and Europe, thus making the Canadian-born Hart a more viable option as champion.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

I remember that Vince wanted to make him more interesting.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

I think he had a really brief hiatus in 91 before taking on that new character. He didn't pop over to WCW or anything.

This was an interesting tidbit I'd never heard before. Not sure how true it actually is, but interesting to think about if it actually did go this way:

I'd heard about this. It's not completely crazy, Santana used to be really popular and Vince's face options were pretty limited.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Probably not much since the decision to go to Hart the first time was not a long term direction but more their hand being forced. Did Vince tell Tito he was thinking about making him champion at some point, maybe, he did it to other people.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Tito did get the first televised pinfall over the Undertaker, which is still crazy in retrospect.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

I guess it would be a similar thing to Kofi's title win - a midcard workhorse getting a shot with the top title.

He'd been around for a while as well, and I guess he was valued by Vince.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

edogawa rando posted:

I guess it would be a similar thing to Kofi's title win - a midcard workhorse getting a shot with the top title.

He'd been around for a while as well, and I guess he was valued by Vince.

I mean more the larger idea presented there of making Tito champ because they were looking to expand into Central & South America and how that could have played out over the years during a time when Vince seemed like he could actually commit and stick to plans.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
What do you guys think is the reason why we see so many wrestlers today wrestling so late in their 40's and early 50's while still looking great and being able to move around without major issues.

I was watching some old WWF on youtube and Harley Race was 44 in 1987 (looking like he's in his 60's) but he was having trouble walking, moving around, and getting up off the mat. I know by that time he had wrestled a lot of matches but he never had any did insane bumps like Jeff Hardy, Edge, Christian, AJ Styles who are well into their 40's and doesn't seem to be having those kind of issues.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Harley said the diving headbutt caused a physical problems for him.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'd imagine it comes down the same as it does for all athletics. Better nutrition and recovery science.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

What do you guys think is the reason why we see so many wrestlers today wrestling so late in their 40's and early 50's while still looking great and being able to move around without major issues.

I was watching some old WWF on youtube and Harley Race was 44 in 1987 (looking like he's in his 60's) but he was having trouble walking, moving around, and getting up off the mat. I know by that time he had wrestled a lot of matches but he never had any did insane bumps like Jeff Hardy, Edge, Christian, AJ Styles who are well into their 40's and doesn't seem to be having those kind of issues.

Wrestlers are working fewer dates, doing less drugs and nostalgia is bigger than it ever has been. As bad as the WWE house show schedule was pre-2020 it was nothing compared to working 300 house show matches a year on a hard ring. It was rare to see guys breaking 200 matches, let alone 300!

Add in that WWE did a worse job of making new stars in the last 15 years than it ever has and you have the US more reliant on old wrestlers than it has been in recent decades. Plus Vince got really old and thus looks down upon old wrestlers less than he used to. So you get more old guys on WWE TV, plus old guys who could still go but Vince looked at as done on AEW TV.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The sheer number of matches is a big part of it. Granted, in 1980 they weren't doing multiple suicide dives every match, but the schedule could be really brutal. For example, picking one of the busiest weeks of Race's career, he did 6 main event title matches as the NWA champion.

I think a big part of it that most people don't think about is the transportation and how that affects your ability to recuperate. Idunno exactly what the difference in resources is between then and now, but I think the younger guys you mentioned probably got to fly or take a bus more often at the peak of their careers. Imagine not only working 5-8 dates a week, but driving from venue to venue every day. I remember an interview with Daniel Bryan where he talked frankly about how because he hadn't been in the WWE main event for very long at that point, he wasn't ready to invest in a bus and hire a driver.

It's also easier these days to get a meal at 2:00am that isn't Waffle House.

And while this doesn't apply to Race so much, you have to consider the impact of not only steroid use but training for physique rather than function. Trying to carry as much muscle mass as humanly possible is bad for your connective tissue, among other things. Whereas Prince Devitt, for example, published his workout plan that includes a lot of gymnastic stuff in addition to basic lifts. It is a very good thing for wrestling that most of that cadre of old promoters, who prized height and mass over everything, have mostly lost their grip on the business.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 2, 2021

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gavok posted:

Tito did get the first televised pinfall over the Undertaker, which is still crazy in retrospect.
True, but it was only a live event in Spain that was only televised in Spain. Plus Undertaker was like a month away from being fed to Hogan and a few months away from turning face, so I can see the calculus that doesn't involve "huge plans for Tito Santana".

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

On top of what others have said, wrestling rings are a lot nicer to bump in these days.

In the old days, they often used rings similar to boxing rings which are pretty solid. Bumping on those nightly was going to do you no favours.

Modern rings have a lot more give in them, and while bumps are still going to do you some wear and tear over time, it's nothing like it used to be.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What evidence is there that Vince ever gave a poo poo about Bret Hart? His title wins were untelevised or flukes, he was constantly feuding with jobbers or Jerry Lawler for two loving years, etc. Any time he won the belt it was because they basically had no other choice. Compare any of his title wins to something like HBK at Wrestlemania XII.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

The sheer number of matches is a big part of it. Granted, in 1980 they weren't doing multiple suicide dives every match, but the schedule could be really brutal. For example, picking one of the busiest weeks of Race's career, he did 6 main event title matches as the NWA champion.

I think a big part of it that most people don't think about is the transportation and how that affects your ability to recuperate. Idunno exactly what the difference in resources is between then and now, but I think the younger guys you mentioned probably got to fly or take a bus more often at the peak of their careers. Imagine not only working 5-8 dates a week, but driving from venue to venue every day. I remember an interview with Daniel Bryan where he talked frankly about how because he hadn't been in the WWE main event for very long at that point, he wasn't ready to invest in a bus and hire a driver.

It's also easier these days to get a meal at 2:00am that isn't Waffle House.

And while this doesn't apply to Race so much, you have to consider the impact of not only steroid use but training for physique rather than function. Trying to carry as much muscle mass as humanly possible is bad for your connective tissue, among other things. Whereas Prince Devitt, for example, published his workout plan that includes a lot of gymnastic stuff in addition to basic lifts. It is a very good thing for wrestling that most of that cadre of old promoters, who prized height and mass over everything, have mostly lost their grip on the business.

There was an interview with Jack Brisco years ago where he talked about being NWA World Champion, and the travel got so bad, that it literally got to the point where he wouldn't know what city he was in day by day. He said when he lost the title, the first thing he did was fly home, and didn't leave his house for a month.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

What evidence is there that Vince ever gave a poo poo about Bret Hart? Any time he won the belt it was because they basically had no other choice.
I think you answered your own question?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You also have to look at the era and company. The Crusher and the Bruiser were wrestling in the AWA in their 60s. Bockwinkel was champion into his 50s.

Lou Thesz was NWA Champion until he was 49 and wrestled high profile matches for another decade.

And in Mexico and Japan you've had much older wrestlers.

So really the 90s and 2000s were an anomaly as Vince McMahon believed anyone over 40 was ancient history.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Which is ridiculous, considering how many of those guys made it to 45 or even 50 before dying of heart disease.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

What evidence is there that Vince ever gave a poo poo about Bret Hart? His title wins were untelevised or flukes, he was constantly feuding with jobbers or Jerry Lawler for two loving years, etc. Any time he won the belt it was because they basically had no other choice. Compare any of his title wins to something like HBK at Wrestlemania XII.

He signed him to a 20 year contract. He often tried to motivate people, in particular Chris Jericho, by saying that the great thing about Bret was that he really believed he was the best. He completely undercut Lex Luger's babyface turn to basically apologize to Bret by putting the belt back on him.

I think, in Vince's mind, he treated Bret great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think that's a thing people have trouble with. You can't look at how you'd treat Bret if you were in Vince's shoes. You have to think about how Vince perceives people and his actions towards them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Vince definitely didn't see Bret as the guy. We know he didn't because when Bill Watts wanted to make Bret the guy he had to quit 2 weeks later because Vince overruled him and said Shawn was the guy. But he definitely saw him as a valuable top guy post 92. Until he decided Bret wasn't valuable and had to get out of that contract as fast as he could.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's what I figured. A twenty-year contract that he tried to get out of after, what, fifteen months?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly I bet Vince thinks of Danielson as very akin to Bret.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

There was an interview with Jack Brisco years ago where he talked about being NWA World Champion, and the travel got so bad, that it literally got to the point where he wouldn't know what city he was in day by day. He said when he lost the title, the first thing he did was fly home, and didn't leave his house for a month.

If you look at Ric Flair's schedule around the time when he was doing the 'show up in every regional promotion with the belt' in the early to mid 80's I honestly don't know how you could get through it other than driving yourself to extreme distraction with drugs, sex, etc. It just looked crushing.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why did Hollywood Hogan paint a beard on?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dawgstar posted:

If you look at Ric Flair's schedule around the time when he was doing the 'show up in every regional promotion with the belt' in the early to mid 80's I honestly don't know how you could get through it other than driving yourself to extreme distraction with drugs, sex, etc. It just looked crushing.

Sometimes I'll look at the Career tab on a wrestler's Cagematch page and scroll down to the matches-per-month timeline. Sometimes I see stuff like 25-28 matches per month for several months. Just... HOW?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You look at the old WWF house show schedule in the 80's when they'd book talent for an afternoon show and an evening show and even with WWF's 80's style being easy that still sounds like hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Pitwar posted:

On top of what others have said, wrestling rings are a lot nicer to bump in these days.

In the old days, they often used rings similar to boxing rings which are pretty solid. Bumping on those nightly was going to do you no favours.

Modern rings have a lot more give in them, and while bumps are still going to do you some wear and tear over time, it's nothing like it used to be.

I did my first wrestling training session practicing rolls in a boxing ring. You don't want to bump in a boxing ring. Ever.