Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio
Belatedly enlightened myself on why Monster Train is so popular; the design feels very intuitive, and general polish more than makes up for the generic WoW-esque stylisation. A friend described it as a very direct successor to StS, and he's not wrong; though maybe it's more streamlined, less encouraging of midgame arithmetic, though -- which comes down to personal preference as to whether it's a positive or not.

Excited to see Dead Cells' final DLC on the way, even if in this subgenre we are eternally spoiled for choice as it is.

Chakan posted:

I love this exact feeling, seeing the scoreboard with my new run right on top, not even close in points. In no small part it’s fun because it’s a challenge to prove it wasn’t a fluke & I can do that well.

Hah, that too! I keep wondering if it's related to some form of subconscious learning or processing, because this almost only ever happens for me to such a dramatic degree after I've taken a break for a while. (Then it's the first or second run after returning.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Maenad posted:

generic WoW-esque stylisation
This is why I’ve never felt like getting it; I can’t stand the aesthetic. For one thing, I have a personal pet peeve about repeated barks/voice lines, and every unit in Monster Train talks every 3 seconds and there are about 20 distinct lines across the entire game.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Maenad posted:

Belatedly enlightened myself on why Monster Train is so popular; the design feels very intuitive, and general polish more than makes up for the generic WoW-esque stylisation. A friend described it as a very direct successor to StS, and he's not wrong; though maybe it's more streamlined, less encouraging of midgame arithmetic, though -- which comes down to personal preference as to whether it's a positive or not.

every time i try to go all in on a funny gimmick in StS the game slaps my hand away, whereas when i do the same in mt the game goes

therefore i like it better. making gimmicky combos is the heart of these games for me

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

i think the reason i kinda dislike monster train is I don't like climbing difficulty levels, and sts's base is toothy enough for me and in monster train I think I've lost once of a dozen runs

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 1, 2021

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can't say that MT is better than StS as I consider them somewhat like divergent evolutions of the deckbuilder. They fill different niches and I've played each about the same amount of time. I also find it interesting that the base difficulty of MT is basically a tutorial and covenant 1 is the real baseline.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The way I always describe it is that I think StS is the better more refined game, but I had way more fun when I played Monster Train.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Demon_Corsair posted:

I think I'm at covenant 14 or 15 right now.

I find if you are trying to play multiple floors you risk getting units in the wrong order and then suddenly half your units are dead because you didn't get that tank you needed.

i haven't played it in a long time but i usually had two floors, middle plus one more depending on build and draw, usually top because bottom is hard to defend. unless you nail a really insane combo you can't deal with what the game throws at you on just one floor. positioning the units is a part of the game and it's something you get better at. towards the end of my time with it i could fairly reliably nail covenant 25 for the different combos of clans. caveat: i played nearly 70 hours of it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Cinara posted:

The way I always describe it is that I think StS is the better more refined game, but I had way more fun when I played Monster Train.

This

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

I think I'm at covenant 14 or 15 right now.

I find if you are trying to play multiple floors you risk getting units in the wrong order and then suddenly half your units are dead because you didn't get that tank you needed.

That's roughly how high I got too (a little lower I think, maybe 12ish). I found that splitting my power among two floors just meant bosses would trample one of the two floors and the game has an absurd number of ways to buff one unit into the stratosphere that you may as well just make someone with Sweep, Multi-Hit and 200 damage or whatever. The candle faction was best if you could melt + revive a single super powerful card, the fish faction was best if you could make a floor that stacked an absurd amount of increased spell damage and then nuke things when they left that floor, the minion-eating faction was best if you built a floor that fed a single unit a constant supply of minions then gave that unit sweep/multi-attack, the plant faction was best if you made one ultra-tank and stacked enormous amounts of Spikes on it, etc.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 2, 2021

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

SettingSun posted:

I can't say that MT is better than StS as I consider them somewhat like divergent evolutions of the deckbuilder. They fill different niches and I've played each about the same amount of time. I also find it interesting that the base difficulty of MT is basically a tutorial and covenant 1 is the real baseline.

Haven't got there yet (so close on the first go, and then my clumsy hands betrayed me), but arguably Dead Cells is the same. These games don't really work in terms of accessibility (and with that, commercial viability) without climbing difficulty levels with an entry-level that's accessible to everyone.

Hooplah posted:

every time i try to go all in on a funny gimmick in StS the game slaps my hand away, whereas when i do the same in mt the game goes <jack nicholson nodding demonically>

therefore i like it better. making gimmicky combos is the heart of these games for me

Hah! Yes, I never got as far as others in StS for the fact that I kept attempting similar gimmicks and -- or at least I thought -- goofing the maths up and screwing myself over.

At the very least I'm enjoying that I can shut off just enough of my brain with MT to sit back and play it with a controller. ^_^; StS was/is fun, but it could feel like work.

Edit: Third time's a charm! (I wish more rogue* games made it this easy to share a run.)

Can all too easily see MT keeping me up far later than it should, like tonight.

Maenad fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 2, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cinara posted:

Yeah, agreed. I never got past ascension 3 or 4 in STS, but I'm up to 15 in Monster Train, and I think I'm probably going to keep playing until I hit the max. The power curve is all over the place, which can be frustrating at times, but it also means that sometimes, you just have the god run and absolutely trample over the game, which is great for morale. I'm still getting better and improving, but the highs make me feel less like I'm smashing into a brick wall, and the lows let me write off some of the times I get smacked down.

Incidentally, a more extreme version of this is exactly why I have over a hundred hours in Luck Be A Landlord.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
To give another point of view, I have 250h on StS and Ascension 20 with secret ending. 70h on Monster Train and Covenant 25.
The only thing I like more in Monster Train is the small randomization of your deck at covenant 1.

(and 10h in Luck be a Landlord, level 15)

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio
One does feel shallow for enjoying the less mentally taxing game a bit more, but they're both addictive as hell. And MT is making me want to go back to StS and seeing how far up the ascension ladder I can get.

Loddfafnir posted:

To give another point of view, I have 250h on StS and Ascension 20 with secret ending. 70h on Monster Train and Covenant 25.

Smarter than me then, haha. ;D

girl dick energy posted:

Incidentally, a more extreme version of this is exactly why I have over a hundred hours in Luck Be A Landlord.

God, speaking of addictive. I had to force myself to close it once I reached the end of the EA content, otherwise it'd just consume me. What a hidden gem!

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Maenad posted:

Smarter than me then, haha. ;D

That definitely was not my intention. I just find StS cleaner and more satisfying.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

StS reminder for people who feel like it's too harsh on gimmicks: you can play custom runs or the daily climb when you just want to mindlessly gently caress around. Turning on even a single one of the rules like "replace your starting deck with one of each rare" will completely change the experience into a much goofier one.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

world of horror update! it's been a while.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/913740/announcements/detail/3113673007331319168

quote:

This content update focuses on the unfortunate people of SHIOKAWA and the city's dark secrets.
The newly reworked CITY PLANNING feature will allow players to customize their game and select new additional actions.
Two new characters: a truly cursed WITCH and the EX-CULTIST on the run join the character roster, bringing it to eleven playable heroes, each with unique perks and abilities.
This upgrade introduces character-exclusive events exploring their backstories and their role in the story. This is the biggest batch of new events since the initial release.
Additionally, two new mysteries will have the unsuspecting characters take care of a weird friend with a dark secret and explore the seemingly abandoned mansion full of grotesque paintings.
A new game mode CHALLENGES will test the skills of experienced players, placing them in the pre-selected playthroughs, each having unique gameplay mechanics, forcing them to change their strategies.

beyond this there's also a lot more robust modding options added.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

what bugs me slightly about all this MT vs StS talk is that i only win even at the lowest difficulty by the grace of dread rng

in theory i love em both and would to love to advance to eg covenant 5; in practice i get frustrated by setbacks and end up not playing and, ah, practicing much

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Johnny Joestar posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/913740/announcements/detail/3113673007331319168

Great day for EA games, Teardown is out of EA as well. Looks like it basically doubles the length of the campaign and adds a shitload of new toys to play with.

edit: Oops, thought this was the Steam thread and not the RL thread. Regardless!

goferchan fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 2, 2021

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you want to climb the covenants easy just play an OP champion like Little Fade imo

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Johnny Joestar posted:

Hell yes

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm very excited to see where all of this leads and the way the whole modding system is structured makes me think of something like Warcraft 3 where the community could create all kinds of creative custom game modes and content that ended up being widely played. There are already about 40 mods up which add new classes, weapons from other games (Binding of Isaac, Titanfall, Destiny, Hyper Light Drifter...) etc.

gently caress yes, I will absolutely buy this as Early Access, Synthetik 1 had some rough edges but I found it really fun, and this sounds like they've set themselves up for success a la Risk of Rain 2.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Fightsgame/status/1466352760673247233

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Man I hadn't played World of Horror since it was early early in EA and I've got to say, it definitely feels like a complete package now. The modular way the game is set up means there's always the opportunity to add more, but there's a bunch of different mysteries now all featuring multiple endings, different characters have their own specific perks and events, plenty of achievements/unlockables, etc. Also I really like the option that makes the RNG more likely to show you content you've unlocked but haven't seen yet.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Last time I played World of Horror you couldn't even hit ghosts anymore, I guess you're supposed to use spells, play the clap bow game, or run? Anyway, I doubt the combat is ever actually going to be fun in this game but the combat music and art is all terrific so it's fine

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I haven't touched this one since it initially hit EA - at the time there were some balance problems visibly apparent to even my not-exactly-great-at-deckbuilders self, and I remember wishing the replays of the fights were smoother. Wonder if they changed any of that - good time to find out, work is boring :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

what bugs me slightly about all this MT vs StS talk is that i only win even at the lowest difficulty by the grace of dread rng

in theory i love em both and would to love to advance to eg covenant 5; in practice i get frustrated by setbacks and end up not playing and, ah, practicing much

Remember that in StS ascension 1 is actually easier than a no-ascension game, because the extra resources from those extra elites make you much more powerful

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I haven't touched this one since it initially hit EA - at the time there were some balance problems visibly apparent to even my not-exactly-great-at-deckbuilders self, and I remember wishing the replays of the fights were smoother. Wonder if they changed any of that - good time to find out, work is boring :v:

I played the last build until I got a win. I never really got the handle of regular difficulty (never tried easy) where it ramps to the point that you can get one-shotted on later maps. I even got softlocked once by the boss guy who reduces your attack by 2 every 4 turns.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I found out StS has a phone version and now I'm climbing ascension rankings after never doing so on the desktop version. Having a mobile deckbuilder in my pocket is extremely nice

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Even out of EA, FITS is still a game that doesn't quite have the meat on its bones it needs to.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
How is the progression in Synthetik 2? I found it awful in the first one and ended up editing my savefile to fully unlock each class level and finally play a complete game. Are the files still open?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Impermanent posted:

I found out StS has a phone version and now I'm climbing ascension rankings after never doing so on the desktop version. Having a mobile deckbuilder in my pocket is extremely nice

StS and Card Quest will probably be all the mobile gaming I’ll ever need

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I've had Roguebook sitting in my library for a while and finally got around to trying it out. It's really fun, although I'm annoyed that you kinda need some of the meta-progression in order to advance. Either way, fun game so far and definitely worth the money.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Loddfafnir posted:

How is the progression in Synthetik 2? I found it awful in the first one and ended up editing my savefile to fully unlock each class level and finally play a complete game. Are the files still open?

It's not finished and also isn't looking much better but the files are still open.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sometimes FTL crew AI makes for gruesome scenes. These geniuses decided to fix the medbay instead of anything else, so they were stuck there suffocating for a minute or three while I set them on fire over and over again. The medbay was enough to keep their health level while suffocating, so they only took damage when the beam hit, and of course the fires died immediately due to no air. Poor bastards.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Magitek posted:

StS and Card Quest will probably be all the mobile gaming I’ll ever need

The StS android port seems pretty lovely, honestly. The UI doesn't quite work right and it's really fiddly.

Of course I can only ever play Slice & Dice on my phone, that game is obscenely addictive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PotatoManJack posted:

I've had Roguebook sitting in my library for a while and finally got around to trying it out. It's really fun, although I'm annoyed that you kinda need some of the meta-progression in order to advance. Either way, fun game so far and definitely worth the money.

The metaprogression is fairly quick, though, and the game is easy enough at lower difficulties that you can push pretty hard. The most important thing to do is unlock Aurora so you can get all the New Hero multipliers as soon as possible. Unfortunately this is a bit random.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Thirsty Dog posted:

The StS android port seems pretty lovely, honestly. The UI doesn't quite work right and it's really fiddly.

Of course I can only ever play Slice & Dice on my phone, that game is obscenely addictive.

This is how I feel as well. I was so excited for StS on my phone, but find it frustrating to play. Looking at cards and putting them back in your hand just feels clunky.

Slice & Dice owns my bone though. I can't stop. You can close it at any time and come back to exactly where you left off without long load times. It's the perfect phone game.

Farquar fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 3, 2021

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have played the lion's share of StS on iOS and yeah the worst thing I can say about it is hand management is a pain. (At the start of every round some random card pops out of hand to obscure everything and it's never the one I want)

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 3, 2021

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

girl dick energy posted:

Why have you done this? :negative:

On the second floor now and already addicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

SettingSun posted:

I have played the lion's share of StS on iOS and yeah the worst thing I can say about it is hand management is a pain. (At the start of every round some random card pops out of hand to obscure everything and it's never the one I want)

I have similar issues on Android, it seems to get stuck with one card partially-selected or something.