Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rime posted:

George Carlin did incalculably more damage to anyone giving a poo poo about the collapse of the biosphere than virtually anyone else in the 20th century, with that lovely loving standup bit, and every time I see it regurgitated at this late hour I reflexively want to punch the person doing so in the face.

Just induces indescribable amounts of rage, tbh.

Look at us, right now, bickering over a dead assholes nihilistic joke instead of discussing plastic trash being twice the mass of all animal life on earth. The damage won't stop until every record of this idiocy is erased from the universe. Stop propagating it.

:fuckoff:

LOLOL yeah Carlin is the villain in all this mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like george but he did have a ton of bits that were just flat wrong :shrug:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think you're grossly underestimating people's attachment to their real estate holdings.

They'll truck in drinking water before they abandon phoenix

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm not gonna let you jerks troll me any further, it was funny for a minute. If another intelligent species ever evolves on the earth again, the greatest accomplishment ours will be recognized for will be the massive re-integration of toxic substances like chlorine or even better, radioactive elements, into the food chain around the planet. Ipso facto ... plastics -- and nukes.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Rime posted:

George Carlin did incalculably more damage to anyone giving a poo poo about the collapse of the biosphere than virtually anyone else in the 20th century, with that lovely loving standup bit, and every time I see it regurgitated at this late hour I reflexively want to punch the person doing so in the face.

Just induces indescribable amounts of rage, tbh.

Look at us, right now, bickering over a dead assholes nihilistic joke instead of discussing plastic trash being twice the mass of all animal life on earth. The damage won't stop until every record of this idiocy is erased from the universe. Stop propagating it.

:fuckoff:

shut up bitch

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Rime posted:

George Carlin did incalculably more damage to anyone giving a poo poo about the collapse of the biosphere than virtually anyone else in the 20th century

lmfao

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
One of the most insidious and damaging endorsements of modern factory farming ever produced. The man is indefensible

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

pffft, so much for global war-- uhh... wait....

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

I like george but he did have a ton of bits that were just flat wrong :shrug:

They'll truck in drinking water before they abandon phoenix

People already truck in drinking water in Phoenix because they don't like the taste of the tap water there.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

pffft, so much for global war-- uhh... wait....

My fall vegetable garden is still alive and kicking. In December. In loving CT.

lol

Serf
May 5, 2011

if there's one thing i know for absolute certain its that george carlin is being very serious and believed that humanity's only purpose was to bring plastic into existence and everyone who watched it nodded and said "yes this is correct and i also now believe this wholeheartedly"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I mean it's definitely our legacy at this point so if we say we always meant to, that would mean we aren't failures

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
the inevitable symbiosis of the human body and manufactured nanoparticle plastics will precede the great transhumanist awakening

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

petit choux posted:

LOL yeah, he's pretty awesome all right. Yeah, he was what's commonly known as a comedian and anthromorphizing nature is what's often called euphemism, or sometimes poetic license, part of the comedian's toolkit. And I'm sure he would have taken your remarks the way they should be taken, by laughing in your face.

And if man were to be described as having a purpose, our pulling all the worst toxins that all living things have covered over with dense layers of less harmful organic matter -- you could almost say sequestered -- for millennia, out of the earth and putting them back into circulation, thus ensuring the end of all life on the planet, well, I'd look at what we have accomplished and say that's as good a guess as any.

Of all the people to call reactionary scum, I think you could have looked a little more carefully. In a larger sense we are all literal scum, a thin layer of organic matter full of microbes and fungi, often known as filth or scum, temporarily covering over an otherwise clean and sterile planet. But don't fear, we are working to remedy this night and day in our labs, in our factories and as a last resort, with our military and their beautiful weapons.

you're right, i should have been more precise. he's a proto-fascist and so are you. at least actual fascists have the self awareness and courage to act on their convictions, instead of turning them into entertainment for the very people they despise.

but please, oh great oracle, tell me more about what the universe feels about things. tell me more about the grand teleology only you can divine. tell me more about 'nature's' intentions. tell me more of what we all look like from the great archimedean point known only to that apotheosis of nihilist wisdom, the north american petiboog. tell me more about how it will all be better after 'nature' has purged itself of its jew human impurities. tell me more about how really, extinction is just better for everyone.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Serf posted:

if there's one thing i know for absolute certain its that george carlin is being very serious and believed that humanity's only purpose was to bring plastic into existence and everyone who watched it nodded and said "yes this is correct and i also now believe this wholeheartedly"

ya man. that's exactly how ideology works.

Serf
May 5, 2011

splifyphus posted:

you're right, i should have been more precise. he's a proto-fascist and so are you. at least actual fascists have the self awareness and courage to act on their convictions, instead of turning them into entertainment for the very people they despise.

but please, oh great oracle, tell me more about what the universe feels about things. tell me more about the grand teleology only you can divine. tell me more about 'nature's' intentions. tell me more of what we all look like from the great archimedean point known only to that apotheosis of nihilist wisdom, the north american petiboog. tell me more about how it will all be better after 'nature' has purged itself of its jew human impurities. tell me more about how really, extinction is just better for everyone.

are you ok

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
"fascist" speaking of terms that have been misused to the limit

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

splifyphus posted:

lol

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

ngl these arguments about george carlin has me more worried about the people in this thread than all the past debates about malthus or the void or whatever

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

splifyphus posted:

Pls more

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

splifyphus posted:

Youre right, you really do have to hand it to those actual fascists

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

God Hole posted:

ngl these arguments about george carlin has me more worried about the people in this thread than all the past debates about malthus or the void or whatever

tired: climate change
wired: biosphere collapse
inspired: epistemic collapse

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Laughing at the thought of carlin in the fuhrer bunker

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*exxon unilaterally suppresses all research warning of the imminent collapse of the biosphere for a generation and then bankrolls far-reaching disinformation campaigns to muddy the waters*

george carlin tho

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

splifyphus posted:

nice meltdown

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

the seven words you can never say on television, but they're all related to plastics

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

if carlin was alive it would rock to see how he would have ruined his legacy

Serf
May 5, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

if carlin was alive it would rock to see how he would have ruined his legacy

i choose to believe that carlin and pryor both would've remained cool to the end. do not try to tell me otherwise

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

splifyphus posted:

I just wanted to quote this post lol

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Serf posted:

i choose to believe that carlin and pryor both would've remained cool to the end. do not try to tell me otherwise

Against your wishes, I'm gonna try. Carlin died right around the time that New Atheists had their heyday and some fairly decent prominence. And he died before Twitter. He would've been insufferable in the New Atheist style and you'd be considering him something akin to Bill Maher by now, sorry to say.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Against your wishes, I'm gonna try. Carlin died right around the time that New Atheists had their heyday and some fairly decent prominence. And he died before Twitter. He would've been insufferable in the New Atheist style and you'd be considering him something akin to Bill Maher by now, sorry to say.

otoh maybe if people like carlin and sagan hadn't died, the new atheists wouldn't have become such assholes vOv

Serf
May 5, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

sorry, i'm trying to imagine carlin getting onto twitter and it's not happening. i also don't know who the new atheists are and i'm not gonna look into it, i subscribe to gaia theory

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Serf posted:

sorry, i'm trying to imagine carlin getting onto twitter and it's not happening. i also don't know who the new atheists are and i'm not gonna look into it, i subscribe to gaia theory

dawkins, hitchens, harris - basically if atheists went full fascist, these guys would be running the show

well i mean not dawkins or hitchens b/c they're dead lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

dick dorkins isnt dead

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

making myself extremely mad and red thinking about all the ways kurt cobain would have sold out if the CIA had let him live

Cold on a Cob posted:

dawkins, hitchens, harris - basically if atheists went full fascist, these guys would be running the show

well i mean not dawkins or hitchens b/c they're dead lol

richard dawkins is alive lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

dick dorkins isnt dead

lol drat, too bad, thoughts and prayers for him then

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Cold on a Cob posted:

otoh maybe if people like carlin and sagan hadn't died, the new atheists wouldn't have become such assholes vOv

Counterpoint: there is no force in the universe that could've prevented Dick Dorkins from being a gigantic dweeb and rear end in a top hat.

Serf posted:

Gaia theory?

The New Atheists are Dick Dorkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens. A few other people have variously been considered part of that quartet but those are the tried and true. The term was coined in 2006, two years before Carlin died, so it was pretty fresh at the time. None of those guys have anywhere near the prominence they did in the '10s, especially the early '10s, today. Well Hitchens died but the rest just kinda blew it by being tremendous dickheads. Dawkins was really the face of it which is a huge L right there - they never stood a chance. I mean they're all odious for some or another reason but I'm not in the mood to debate it, Dawkins is just one which no one would deny is a huge loser idiot racist dweeb.

Edit: you guys are fast. I'm glad nobody, so far, would've queued me up for debate regarding Harris and Hitchens. That's so nice! Glad you guys agree. Well I did my Hitchens takedown in the last thread if someone wanted to look but its admittedly weak as far as takedowns go and a touch histrionic. He was the arch Malthusian so that's largely where my opposition lies. He was also a huge dickhead for doing all those nature documentaries and leaving out all the human-caused ravages of those same ecologies. Only near the very end, when it was far too late, did he say "Oh and by the way..." - shithead.

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 18:48 on Dec 2, 2021

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/1465669835933761542?s=20

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lmfao I just went to his Twitter to see if he said anything stupid lately and I was just going to post that

oh well

https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/1454499289435099139?s=20

Serf
May 5, 2011

scrolling past the info on the new athiests

how's the biosphere? still collapsing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Serf posted:

how's the biosphere? still collapsing?

Dude this is so nuts, and you're not gonna believe it, but it actually stopped collapsing! It's fine now.