Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

david attenbourogh once ate an entire turtle species to extinction when he was stuck on an Indonesian island to film exotic birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

no skateboarding EVER! posted:

It wasn't as warm in suburban Chicago

Mameluke posted:

death to canada

ive never seen refrigerated outdoor rinks in canada (not to say they don't exist or that canada isn't terrible for other reasons)

what a hilariously terrible idea, though

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Rime posted:

It's 17 degrees celcius, here, in Medicine Hat - Southwest Alberta, on the Montana border.

I am working in a T-shirt, with the roof hatches open.

The wind is HOT. I am dehydrated.

It hasn't snowed. There was a skiff two weeks ago, which evaporated the next day.

There have been three minor Precipitation events since I arrived in early August.

It is December 1st, 2021.

Hope they have you at the Lodge. Welcome to the sunniest city in Canada.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Mameluke posted:

death to canada

i keep loling about all my fellow canadians that thought climate change is gonna be good for us

guess that's not true if you're on the west coast.

or anywhere near the west coast.

or the east coast.

lol. lmao.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It rained in Calgary today. Rain in December is so eerie - normally it starts snowing around Halloween.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the most worrying thing about current weather trends in canada is that if it stays this mild we're going to have to contend with spirit halloween stores opening up in the middle of christmas

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cold on a Cob posted:

i keep loling about all my fellow canadians that thought climate change is gonna be good for us

or the east coast.

lol. lmao.

yeah i'm not gonna say i feel bad or anything, but i am pretty surprised at how outstanding our weather has been this year. completely normal (with the exception of this one seriously unreal lightning event) and so much rain that everything grew gangbusters

the downside of course, requires living in swont so

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1466257141405212680

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Burn Paradise, leave it a vacant lot...shooooo...wop wop wop wop

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Acelerion posted:

Yeah I watched this and it was super depressing. I spent a lot of time when I was in my teens diving/snorkeling and the coral I saw then does not exist now. Its shocking how fast it disappeared. It was so beautiful and its all dead.

These documentaries piss me off though because they all end on this quasi-rosey note of the next generation fixing it like the solution is
1. Raise awareness
2. ?????
3. The world is saved

Lets hear some actual solutions you pussys

Their solution is burn a ton of fossil fuels to see it while it still exists

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cold on a Cob posted:

or the east coast.

lol. lmao.

Canadians are pretty much as stupid as their masters to the south. They're certainly as racist

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Xaris posted:

look, it would be bad to end on a downer note okay? we will raise awareness and fund raise for global agile solutions that synergize with the enterprise market to enable clean green living while shifting the paradigm towards harm reduction. there is still hope as more people have become educated and made aware that they will induce demand upon legislators to introduce private-public market-based alternatives to protect the environment.

I watched "Planet of the Humans" last night. That ends on a serious gut punch.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

quote:

Today, land managers are scrambling to slow the transformation in many places, by planting trees and killing shrubs. For instance, the Forest Service has proposed a plan to wipe out brush with herbicides in Plumas National Forest. There, climatic conditions would still allow young trees to survive, if they were not crowded out by fast growing shrubs, experts say. When fires enter forests every few years, they tend to burn gently, creeping along the ground and clearing out plants that compete with young trees, without killing the mature ones. But in a landscape dominated by brush, fires burn hot, wiping out the remaining trees and favoring the scrubby species that can quickly grow back. It looks like that’s exactly what happened when the 2021 Dixie Fire swept through the brushy areas created by the 2007 Moonlight Fire. By clearing the brush, the Forest Service hopes to give trees a chance to tip the ecosystem back into a self-sustaining forest.

oh good the forest service is getting into the herbicide business in bulk now, wonder when they'll buy Monsanto branded resistant trees on the taxpayer dime for the forests

also I wonder what this'll do to what's left of the insect population

well, no, I don't

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

land management is when I kill all of the bugs because they’re icky

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I watched a young doug fir in the parking lot at work die during the heat dome event. It had oozed all its sap out the bottom of the trunk and the needles immediately turned this sickly sort of green then brown, now it's bald.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

petit choux posted:

Did I put this here yesterday? If so sorry. He was right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBRquiS1pis

no, he was not. he was reactionary scum who was wrong about everything.

he's literally anthropomorphizing a 'the planet' in that bit. it's hard to be more wrong than that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Serf posted:

literally just put the waste in tanks and drop it into that big loving hole in the ocean. ain't poo poo ever coming back from that

we should do this with everything. Just dig incredibly deep holes past the earth's crust and dump all our problems in magma

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/mgschmelzer/status/1465965104122548229?s=21

:freakout:

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1466131563385659393

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Heh, looks like all those experts predicting a nuclear winter were wrong. :smug:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

endlessmonotony posted:

Heh, looks like all those experts predicting a nuclear winter were wrong. :smug:

Yeah! pretty soon nuclear winter will be a best case outcome :megadeath:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

skooma512 posted:

"Nothing valuable is here or was ever here, you will only find death in this place"

"Man that's EXACTLY the sort of poo poo people would put on their buried treasure. C'mon, go get those slaves to dig this up for us!"

I wonder if pictures of people suffering radiation poisoning would do the trick? Maybe not the first time, but when they dig too greedily and too deep and end up exactly like the pictures say, maybe they'll take the hint?

that just means they put a mummy curse on the treasure. keep digging, we're almost there.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol right now my partner is working on some packaging for laundry tablets

the packaging is green and implores the customer to “WASH COLDER” to reduce CO2 emissions

the scale of the disconnect between where we are and what we need to do is itself giving me the crack pings this morning

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

too many animals and not enough plastic

it makes me mad to imagine all those filthy creatures hogging the plastic that should be ours by right

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

:coffee::unsmith:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

we should do this with everything. Just dig incredibly deep holes past the earth's crust and dump all our problems in magma

i think it could damage our long-term diplomatic standing with the magmen but that's just the cost of doing business

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

here you go get dumpin

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
good news, we saved the blueberries!

A high-tech camera can save Maine’s blueberries from climate change

quote:

Few things are more scenic than a wild blueberry barren full of plump and ripe berries.

But Maine’s iconic berry crop is facing a climate crisis that threatens its future. Scientists earlier this year reported that the Down East region — home to the state’s blueberry barrens — is warming faster than the rest of the state.

Coupled with ongoing drought conditions, that means Maine’s crops — the only commercially harvested wild blueberries in the country — will be smaller and less likely to survive.

A study led by University of Maine graduate student Catherine Chan has found a way to help mitigate that damage. With the help of a drone equipped with a special camera to detect the areas that are most in need of water, researchers are helping growers know when to intervene sooner and save Maine’s beloved crop.

Chan worked with University of Maine faculty Danial Hayes and Yongjiang Zhang, Schoodic Institute forest ecologist Peter Nelson and Jasper Wyman & Son agronomist Bruce Hall. All images were collected on fields owned by Wyman’s.

The research team used software Nelson developed with Chan and other students that allows drones and special cameras — called spectrometers — to measure light across dozens or hundreds of more bands of color than an average camera.

“When plants get stressed, they reflect light differently and these [spectroscopy] cameras see hundreds of colors we don’t, so it helps you see the stress,” Nelson said.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

splifyphus posted:

no, he was not. he was reactionary scum who was wrong about everything.

he's literally anthropomorphizing a 'the planet' in that bit. it's hard to be more wrong than that.

LOL yeah, he's pretty awesome all right. Yeah, he was what's commonly known as a comedian and anthromorphizing nature is what's often called euphemism, or sometimes poetic license, part of the comedian's toolkit. And I'm sure he would have taken your remarks the way they should be taken, by laughing in your face.

And if man were to be described as having a purpose, our pulling all the worst toxins that all living things have covered over with dense layers of less harmful organic matter -- you could almost say sequestered -- for millennia, out of the earth and putting them back into circulation, thus ensuring the end of all life on the planet, well, I'd look at what we have accomplished and say that's as good a guess as any.

Of all the people to call reactionary scum, I think you could have looked a little more carefully. In a larger sense we are all literal scum, a thin layer of organic matter full of microbes and fungi, often known as filth or scum, temporarily covering over an otherwise clean and sterile planet. But don't fear, we are working to remedy this night and day in our labs, in our factories and as a last resort, with our military and their beautiful weapons.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

petit choux posted:

as a last resort, with our military and their beautiful weapons.

"as a last resort"? :confused:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

IAMKOREA posted:

I'm macrodosing LSD to build a tolerance (to how loving much this poo poo sucks)

I'd say "everyone I know who went this route at any point, including myself, ended up some kind of Weird as a result" but you're already posting in cspam so that risk may be mitigated.

After about the third day, it's just not worth it, though.

I mostly enjoy hallucinogens in "calm nature", and so the idea of the sorts of landscapes that humans might be consuming weird future desert psychedelics in, a little down the line, is loving disturbing to consider. What will the escape drugs of the climate wars be? Will Datura make a big comeback??

also does anyone know if we could reliably, actually induce a nuclear winter by picking someplace totally useless like America and just nuking the gently caress out of it, in a way that wouldn't gently caress the rest of the planet with fallout? I don't know anything about this except the general concept that some fallout fears were overrated.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Dec 2, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TACD posted:

lol right now my partner is working on some packaging for laundry tablets

the packaging is green and implores the customer to “WASH COLDER” to reduce CO2 emissions

the scale of the disconnect between where we are and what we need to do is itself giving me the crack pings this morning

all my dishwasher detergent tablet things are in their own plastic package for some reason

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I used to post on twitter or here or somewhere when we broke record highs but it happens every few weeks now so I stopped because it just seems pointless :aochloe:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I'd say "everyone I know who went this route at any point, including myself, ended up some kind of Weird as a result" but you're already posting in cspam so that risk may be mitigated.

After about the third day, it's just not worth it, though.

I mostly enjoy hallucinogens in "calm nature", and so the idea of the sorts of landscapes that humans might be consuming weird future desert psychedelics in, a little down the line, is loving disturbing to consider. What will the escape drugs of the climate wars be? Will Datura make a big comeback??

also does anyone know if we could reliably, actually induce a nuclear winter by picking someplace totally useless like America and just nuking the gently caress out of it, in a way that wouldn't gently caress the rest of the planet with fallout? I don't know anything about this except the general concept that some fallout fears were overrated.

in the grim future of 2024, the only recreational drug is nutmeg

also the best tripping environment is a dark room while under as many blankets and pillows as you can find

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm actually p happy I went and took psychedelics 3 out of 4 days in a row. Ya I didn't get hosed up but I'm still p chill, relatively, and there's a lingering touch of a body buzz.

I don't mind nearly as much that the world is ending.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

actionjackson posted:

all my dishwasher detergent tablet things are in their own plastic package for some reason

my mom pointed this out last summer and I was somehow convinced they must be using corn plastics or something slightly reasonable but lol https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/detergent-pods-contributing-to-plastic-pollution-301340158.html

never buying that poo poo again. Honestly, glycerine cleans most poo poo just fine, we don't really need all this perfumed auto-fluffing fabric softening brighter whites rah rah rah gently caress YOU KAREN AND KARL AND THE KKKIDS

blatman posted:

in the grim future of 2024, the only recreational drug is nutmeg
A friend and I actually attempted a combination of high oral + smoked ( :lol: ) nutmeg as an experiment, in like 1999. This was well after we'd done a bunch of acid and other real drugs, but I think it was motivated by curiousity, boredom, inability to find weed, and some slight interest in the (apocryphal?) story of Malcom X's incarcerated nutmeg trips.

I think it did something, it was psychoactive, it wasn't really pleasant and I wouldn't do it again. Seem to remember that night somehow ended with me in the back of a convertible, which I think had some girls in it at some point. All of that is highly strange, I didn't have any friends with convertibles at that point. I am sure it all made perfect sense at the time.

you might be right, though -- the world has already gotten dark enough I call my compulsive use of cannabis "as medical as not", and my loving doctors agree (OFC I am in Vermont so :420:) -- maybe in a few more years I'm gonna be on a LSD/mushroom/ fentanyl/amphetamine booster pill every morning just to cope with reality

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 15:45 on Dec 2, 2021

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

petit choux posted:

LOL yeah, he's pretty awesome all right. Yeah, he was what's commonly known as a comedian and anthromorphizing nature is what's often called euphemism, or sometimes poetic license, part of the comedian's toolkit. And I'm sure he would have taken your remarks the way they should be taken, by laughing in your face.

And if man were to be described as having a purpose, our pulling all the worst toxins that all living things have covered over with dense layers of less harmful organic matter -- you could almost say sequestered -- for millennia, out of the earth and putting them back into circulation, thus ensuring the end of all life on the planet, well, I'd look at what we have accomplished and say that's as good a guess as any.

Of all the people to call reactionary scum, I think you could have looked a little more carefully. In a larger sense we are all literal scum, a thin layer of organic matter full of microbes and fungi, often known as filth or scum, temporarily covering over an otherwise clean and sterile planet. But don't fear, we are working to remedy this night and day in our labs, in our factories and as a last resort, with our military and their beautiful weapons.

I just came here to laugh at somebody calling George Carlin a reactionary, as if words no longer have socially-constructed meanings that cohere into a symbolic order.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

reactionary is the new tankie

i just want to know when the huge migration of dehydrated arizona peoples will occur

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jel Shaker posted:

i just want to know when the huge migration of dehydrated arizona peoples will occur

I think you're grossly underestimating people's attachment to their real estate holdings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
George Carlin did incalculably more damage to anyone giving a poo poo about the collapse of the biosphere than virtually anyone else in the 20th century, with that lovely loving standup bit, and every time I see it regurgitated at this late hour I reflexively want to punch the person doing so in the face.

Just induces indescribable amounts of rage, tbh.

Look at us, right now, bickering over a dead assholes nihilistic joke instead of discussing plastic trash being twice the mass of all animal life on earth. The damage won't stop until every record of this idiocy is erased from the universe. Stop propagating it.

:fuckoff: