Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I got lost in that dungeon for a while but I'm also an idiot with the worst sense of direction that God has ever given anyone so I don't think it's that bad. Certainly not as confusing as some of the dungeons in 3 or the enormous teleporter maze mansion in 4/4A.

I do really like the new semi-open world format instead of dungeons though, I was skeptical when it first started showing up in prerelease reviews but I've come to really love it and hope that any future installments keep it.

i love it too hut i do hope we get more real dungeons in the next one. the overworld in this is so sick though, theres so many little things to do and find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

the overworld areas are so dense and have so much stuff to do in them that I really havent been missing the more traditional dungeons at all, though I definitely wouldnt say no to having even more dungeons in the next game, especially if they integrate them more into the open world zones. hopefully this game sells well since I'd love to see what this team could do with a BOTW-level budget

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I want way more dungeons. and way longer ones too.

and way more platforming

This.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fiend Matador posted:

the overworld areas are so dense and have so much stuff to do in them that I really havent been missing the more traditional dungeons at all, though I definitely wouldnt say no to having even more dungeons in the next game, especially if they integrate them more into the open world zones. hopefully this game sells well since I'd love to see what this team could do with a BOTW-level budget

drat I'm imaging slightly smaller outdoor zones littered with shrine-sized dungeons with platforming gimmicks and a miniboss at the end. Now that would be tight

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

drat I'm imaging slightly smaller outdoor zones littered with shrine-sized dungeons with platforming gimmicks and a miniboss at the end. Now that would be tight

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Made it to level 99 along with a bunch of my demons after days of farming mitamas like it’s my full-time job and Shiva still pwned me :pwn: I guess he’s the optional super-boss for the base game, his unique skill is nasty and his adds turned out to be more dangerous than I expected. It’s got me real worried to face the demi-fiend if this is what the base game’s super-boss is like

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Made it to level 99 along with a bunch of my demons after days of farming mitamas like it’s my full-time job and Shiva still pwned me :pwn: I guess he’s the optional super-boss for the base game, his unique skill is nasty and his adds turned out to be more dangerous than I expected. It’s got me real worried to face the demi-fiend if this is what the base game’s super-boss is like

Hes pretty challenging. Focus on clearing his companions so he has to spend a turn resummoning them, imo. The Anahta will heal him once he hits a certain threshold so never let that thing live a single turn if possible. The reward is well worth the struggle!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Hes pretty challenging. Focus on clearing his companions so he has to spend a turn resummoning them, imo. The Anahta will heal him once he hits a certain threshold so never let that thing live a single turn if possible. The reward is well worth the struggle!

Yeah my usual strategy in any game with bosses who have adds is to wipe the ankle-biters first so I can purely worry about the boss but for some reason I didn’t do that this time which I think was my biggest mistake. I don’t think I can recreate the sound I made when I let that ananta live and it healed the boss for like 23K HP.

Excited to see that reward though… might take another crack at him tonight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

beat the demon king boss on a attempt where at one point only the Naho was left, got extremely lucky dodging some attacks and burned a shitload of items to get the Squad back and was triumphant. loving epic

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

drat area two is a big jump lol. ive died like four times to enemies going first

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

encountered david in smt4. this guy doesn't gently caress around lol. much worse version of the fiend theme vs 3

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Just got to the end of the second major dungeon, the scene where Abdiel becomes a fallen angel was insanely sick

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

drat that Amanozako essence you can get is insane for when you can get it... I have no idea who/what to use it on lol, my strength based MC would be a waste of most of the skills other than Almighty Pleroma, but I'm too stupid to plan a demon I would use for endgame fusion/skill fodder

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did anyone else feel like the ability for demons to use items kind of messed with the game balance? I liked how in 4a it cost a skill slot on the demon so you had to give up something to use it, here it made things too easy since demons who can't hit weaknesses on a fight can now just throw elemental gems, etc and still be almost as good. And I felt it made healing spells less valuable (outside stuff like mediahran or the unique heals that give buffs obviously) since demons could pop beads and other stuff. I dunno...I never ran a healer until the endgame because of this, although that also had to do with the fact that conserving MP isn't really a thing outside boss battles since MP/HP orbs and save points are everywhere.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Yeah the balance feels completely turned around, buffs and debuffs are almost useless, status ailments are godlike, and you don't really need dedicated healers anymore.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did anyone else feel like the ability for demons to use items kind of messed with the game balance? I liked how in 4a it cost a skill slot on the demon so you had to give up something to use it, here it made things too easy since demons who can't hit weaknesses on a fight can now just throw elemental gems, etc and still be almost as good. And I felt it made healing spells less valuable (outside stuff like mediahran or the unique heals that give buffs obviously) since demons could pop beads and other stuff. I dunno...I never ran a healer until the endgame because of this, although that also had to do with the fact that conserving MP isn't really a thing outside boss battles since MP/HP orbs and save points are everywhere.

I haven't taken this miracle since it seemed too OP.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It’s godly in earlier stages of the game but I feel like it falls off towards the end, gems stop doing enough damage to really be worth it once all your demons are geared up with severe attacks and the most dangerous situations all involve massive all-party attacks from bosses where you need to heal your whole team and you don’t get enough bead chains or other multi-heals to replace a dedicated healer with mediarama and a heal pleroma.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Yeah the balance feels completely turned around, buffs and debuffs are almost useless, status ailments are godlike, and you don't really need dedicated healers anymore.

Buffs and debuffs are still good...

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

Buffs and debuffs are still good...

theyre OK but compared to nocturne and 4 they dont matter nearly as much. status effects pwn house though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I cannot survive any boss fights w/o tarunda and marukakaja. hell and using kannabi veil every turn. the damage output is brutal

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
im barely using status effects but i am using the hell out of attack up and defense down and i beat an abcess boss that was like 15+ levels ahead of me yesterday so buffs and debuffs are still pretty good imo.

(probably helped that i had black rider spamming phys block and the enemy could only do phys attacks but i wouldnt have been able to do enough damage before running out of resources without the buffs)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah buffs and debuffs are still great. One of the optional superbosses has a move that in addition to damage also bottoms out your defense and facing him with and without a demon with dekunda makes a world of difference.

I’ll need to play around with status effects more on the inevitable new game plus, it always annoyed me that bosses were nearly all immune to status effects in 3, 4, and 4A so I just stayed with my habit of never using them in this run

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I just got to ueno in 4 and I went from getting owned by medusa (until I brought a lot of zan users) to getting my party swept by random encounter oni using critical wave lol.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
https://twitter.com/mudakingdom/status/1465891713239691272

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Buff de buff

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

im too overwhelmed in the 4th area. i go one path for like 3 feet and get scared and go back somewhere else.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

buffs are super important still, idk what ppl are talking about

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

In Training posted:

im too overwhelmed in the 4th area. i go one path for like 3 feet and get scared and go back somewhere else.

Ya I wish it had more direction. I recommend going west then south.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Go up the stairs to the left past the griffin.

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

buffs are super important still, idk what ppl are talking about

Absolutely, +2 attack hitting -2 defense is a huge increase in damage. Boss fights must take forever for people who aren't using buffs

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I was able to fuse a level 33 demon even though I’m only 31, what’s up with that?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I was able to fuse a level 33 demon even though I’m only 31, what’s up with that?

Did it level up through that one miracle? That lets you get higher level demons, but its base level should still have matched yours.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
its insane how good the smt iv boss theme is