Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Literally just happened when I sent a screenshot to a friend in France. "I feel like the jews of yesterday..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just shave the outline of the mask into whatever disgusting goonbeard ya got

Last time we got on this topic someone posted a pic of a 19th Century low-drop neckbeard style that would have been compliant since it basically just looked like a fuzzy turtleneck.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ever since I got that Buff mask I can't go back to ear loops. So I'm thinking this Blue Lagoon one from Etsy or also this Navy one from Etsy.

Maybe both. Can't have enough masks!

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Welp. After several attempts to stick it to the (HR) man, it looks like my company is standing by their “you don’t have to wear a mask while at your desk” policy. 🙄

I really couldn’t believe this HR lady explaining to the entire Americas group the logic of “well people are already going to the grocery store, movies, etc without masks so this really shouldn’t be that much different.”

I just…. I mean… I know our headquarters is basically in a red state but jesus really?!

T minus one week till I’m supposed to go back…

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I use a respirator and despite my insane facial hair it seals for positive and negative pressure tests.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Anyone have any good data on the r-value for Omicron? I'm seeing anywhere from 1.47-2, but that doesn't track if it's more infectious than Delta, which is anywhere between 5-9 according to reports I'm reading

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Too early to say.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://twitter.com/lximenezfyvie/status/1466289507016216578?s=20

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Reposted from another thread... Lmao

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1466437373445783557?t=-nyZJMM7DbBOdWXOIZcdsg&s=19

Notably, he got it somewhere between Nov 19-21 domestically. So yeah that's confirmed community spread in the United States, no?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
It was always going to happen, and to be honest it's not surprising it's already happened

Covid travels half way round the world while sleepy old humans are still getting their boots on

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
By time we find it of course it has already been spreading.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Pennywise the Frown posted:

By time we find it of course it has already been spreading.

Yes if your testing infrastructure is dog poo poo this will always be true.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pryor on Fire posted:

:hmmyes:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's not just testing. The dude in hotel quarantine in Hong Kong popped positive on the fourth day. You need rigorous testing and ruthlessly enforced quarantining upon arrival. The absence of the latter is why Delta defeated every government on Earth except for China.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

No one should be allowed to prevent Nurgle Plague cultist like behavior

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

edit: I give myself a hitler stache every time I shave. Not because I want to, but when I shave my mustache I start out on the sides and work in. I feel bad so I do it quickly.

I saw a comedian back in the 90s who had a bit about deliberately starting at the middle and working out *just in case* he died of a heart attack mid-shave, meaning his death would be reported as "Secret nazi and comedian dies" and I've never shaved any other way since I heard it.

Speaking of cloth masks - I've been using one with an insertable (and disposable, obviously) PM2.5 filter for like 18 months now[1]. I know it's not as good as a properly-fitted N95 or similar but it's considerably more convenient and cheaper than replacing the whole mask daily, and I assume it's *considerably* better than a standard cloth mask simply because it does actually filter out quite a lot of smells[2] - the shape of the mask means when it's fitted right inhaling creates a pretty good seal against the nose and mouth.

The only real drawback is that with the three fairly thick layers it's quite muffling when you try to talk, and also pretty sweaty, but it suits my needs pretty well.

[1] https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08TMKX9GL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 is the mask, and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Activated-...08FB77HW2&psc=1 are the filters - the other thing I like about it compared to either surgical masks or any N95 I've tried the nose wire is considerably stronger, so I don't get the nose jets anything like as bad unless I'm talking
[2] And really if London is anything it's one extended fit test. Can't smell the melange of diesel, dodgy restaurants and Victorian sewers? Mask is working.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Darth TNT posted:

Just how I look at it.
Even if you have a breakthrough infection, generally the virus doesn't do that much any more. As far as I've read the only mom and unborn fetuses who are at risk are those with serious infections. It stands to reason that it wouldn't be that dangerous if you're triple protected.

You can get a serious breakthrough infection though. Where are you getting the information that it doesn't do much?

Also I have read that even asymptomatic infections in pregnant women can clause clots in the placenta, but I need to dig that back up.

Beachcomber posted:

That is very upsetting and must be very hard for you.

I don't know why you have two apartments, but if I were you I'd just completely move into the other one for the duration of the pregnancy, but I'm also a bit of an overreactor

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback that I'm not acting crazy with these concerns. He is honest with me about what he's planning on doing at least, so I go to the other apartment (which is fully furnished and has most of my stuff) whenever I want to.

It would be so great to have data on the effects of a breakthrough infection for fully vaccinated pregnant people, but I guess it's a little soon to expect it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Anyone have any good data on the r-value for Omicron? I'm seeing anywhere from 1.47-2, but that doesn't track if it's more infectious than Delta, which is anywhere between 5-9 according to reports I'm reading

Nobody will know poo poo until it starts spreading in large populations. Take whatever a twitter checkmark says based on "looking at the proteins" with a huge grain of salt.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Any stylish ones out there that actually function?
covid is airborne. wear a respirator or rawdog it, theres no point in wearing anything less.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Nobody will know poo poo until it starts spreading in large populations. Take whatever a twitter checkmark says based on "looking at the proteins" with a huge grain of salt.

Goes for double if they are wearing a bow tie in their picture.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Gio posted:

covid is airborne. wear a respirator or rawdog it, theres no point in wearing anything less.

Is there a study of different efficacy of types of masks? It doesn't seem intuitive that wearing even a cloth mask does literally nothing to help prevent the spread or protect the wearer at all.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gio posted:

Citation needed

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is there a study of different efficacy of types of masks? It doesn't seem intuitive that wearing even a cloth mask does literally nothing to help prevent the spread or protect the wearer at all.
why would you want to when KF94s, KN95s, and N95s are widely available?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Crackbone posted:

Citation needed

most cloth masks i see for sure dont do poo poo or are so highly ineffective i dont see the point. no i dont have a study to back that up, just common sense. surgical masks are acceptable source control but are not rated to filter the air around you. from what ive read they still provide some degree of personal protection.

but again—why?

half the people (or more) are rawdogging it in public places. that means theres no source control there, and the only thing protecting you from them is cloth. its delusional to convince yourself, “well at least im doing something.”

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Gio posted:

This is nonsense.

The better the mask, the better the filtration. It goes Respirator > Surgical > Cloth in terms of efficacy. I can't find the study but iirc cloth masks filtered ~20%, surgical gave 50-60% protection and WRONG WRONG respirators/N95 gave over 90% protection.

I'm fully vaxxed and feel safe in a surgical mask when I go for a quick shop. If I'm anywhere more than 10 mins I use my N95 5-layer cloth mask with replaceable filter.

e: Here's some numbers from the EPA:

https://www.epa.gov/sciencematters/epa-researchers-test-effectiveness-face-masks-disinfection-methods-against-covid-19

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 2, 2021

naem
May 29, 2011

Gio posted:

most cloth masks i see for sure dont do poo poo or are so highly ineffective i dont see the point. no i dont have a study to back that up, just common sense. surgical masks are acceptable source control but are not rated to filter the air around you. from what ive read they still provide some degree of personal protection.

but again—why?

half the people (or more) are rawdogging it in public places. that means theres no source control there, and the only thing protecting you from them is cloth. its delusional to convince yourself, “well at least im doing something.”

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gio posted:

You're right, a regular cloth or paper mask doesn't protect you, at least not very well. Your mask protects the people around you, from you. They're for catching droplets that are breathed directly into them, and not so much for filtering the inbound air. Your mask protects me, my mask protects you.

This is why the anti-maskers are so infuriating. By not wearing one, they aren't taking chances with their own safety, they're taking chances with yours.

e: If you want a mask to protect you, the wearer, upgrade to an N95 or similar.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 2, 2021

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

You're right, a regular cloth or paper mask doesn't protect you, at least not very well. Your mask protects the people around you, from you. They're for catching droplets that are breathed directly into them, and not so much for filtering the inbound air. Your mask protects me, my mask protects you.

This is why the anti-maskers are so infuriating. By not wearing one, they aren't taking chances with their own safety, they're taking chances with yours.

e: If you want a mask to protect you, the wearer, upgrade to an N95 or similar.

so then i would assume people who wear cloth masks only care about protecting others and are unconcerned with themselves? is this some performative altruism?

the best way to protect others is to not get infected in the first place, so wear a respirator.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Gio posted:

no i dont have a study to back that up, just common sense.

Lol.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gio posted:

so then i would assume people who wear cloth masks only care about protecting others and are unconcerned with themselves? is this some performative altruism?

the best way to protect others is to not get infected in the first place, so wear a respirator.

You're absolutely right, cloth or paper masks aren't as good. But that doesn't mean they're useless.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Was Darth Vader's breathing apparatus N95 rated? That's the respirator I want.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Cloth masks are more comfortable and cheaper since they aren't disposable like n95s. I don't think it's a mystery why people who got vaccinated and don't have symptoms would don a cloth mask instead of a respirator, even if the respirator offers better protection.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

compshateme85 posted:

You can get a serious breakthrough infection though. Where are you getting the information that it doesn't do much?

Also I have read that even asymptomatic infections in pregnant women can clause clots in the placenta, but I need to dig that back up.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback that I'm not acting crazy with these concerns. He is honest with me about what he's planning on doing at least, so I go to the other apartment (which is fully furnished and has most of my stuff) whenever I want to.

It would be so great to have data on the effects of a breakthrough infection for fully vaccinated pregnant people, but I guess it's a little soon to expect it.

You are so vulnerable when pregnant that I would seriously consider severing from a partner that doesn't take it seriously.

Dog on Fire
Oct 2, 2004

Throughout the whole pandemic, save for perhaps the first couple of months, I’ve always read and heard that any mask is better than no mask, and that masks protect you from other people as well. Here’s an article for example: https://www.nytimes.com/article/covid-masks-protection-stats.html

quote:

A study from Tokyo tested how well different types of masks protected the wearer from actual coronavirus particles. The study showed that even a simple cotton mask offered some protection (17 to 27 percent) to the wearer.
I pick and choose this quote from there a bit because there are probably also studies that come to the conclusion that a cloth mask doesn’t work at all (and in the article they are aware of this), but still, I do believe the idea that any mask is better than no mask.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Dog on Fire posted:

Throughout the whole pandemic, save for perhaps the first couple of months, I’ve always read and heard that any mask is better than no mask, and that masks protect you from other people as well. Here’s an article for example: https://www.nytimes.com/article/covid-masks-protection-stats.html

I pick and choose this quote from there a bit because there are probably also studies that come to the conclusion that a cloth mask doesn’t work at all (and in the article they are aware of this), but still, I do believe the idea that any mask is better than no mask.

But is that just for the wearer? I don't wear mine to protect me.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

compshateme85 posted:

I'd need to dig up sources. I was certain I either read in the local news or saw it on some local talk show that (barring edge cases like imuno compromised and people above 50) generally the vaccin was good at keeping a serious infection from happening. Not that you're immune, but that you would generally at least not end up in the hospital any more.

I have read the article about the asymptomatic infections as well. However, the versions I read referred mostly to the first wave of Corona and pointed to unvaccinated women. Link in Dutch I'm afraid, but it links through to some UK, Spanish and US research near halfway of the text

That said, please please don't take what I said as me telling you to take it easy on any and all basic counter measures such as social distancing. I'm just trying to not make you more stressed out while still keeping to the rules. I would never take any risk with an unborn child. I remember how paranoid me and my wife were around our own and it wasn't even COVID period back then.

Take the precautions that allow you to feel the most relaxed.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I don't get the quibbling here. Yes, some mask is better than no mask, but given that we seem to be (entering a new phase/restarting) of the pandemic and that N95's are widely available to all, shouldn't you use the best mask you can get?

Dog on Fire
Oct 2, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I don't get the quibbling here. Yes, some mask is better than no mask, but given that we seem to be (entering a new phase/restarting) of the pandemic and that N95's are widely available to all, shouldn't you use the best mask you can get?

Mainly to not create so much trash with the single-use masks vOv

I guess this all depends also very much on the population density of where one happens to live though (among a million other things).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Restarting of the pandemic? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Surely we passed a save point in the last 20 months?