Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

wzm posted:

I had smog problems like that with my Trekker in Colorado, just endless back and forth from the smog station to an approved repair site. Finally, they cut open the cat, and it had been gutted years ago, then put back together to look normal. The late 1970s to early 80s are tricky to deal with in states that rightfully take smog seriously, but it feels like the returns on policing those cars have got to be tiny at this point.

Yep, I actually replaced the cat when I got it as it failed smog then, but passed after that was done so I know this one isn't gutted, but it could be clogged up already which would suck. The EGR system was pretty nasty when I cleaned everything out so that wouldn't surprise me. Wholeheartedly agree on the limitations on smog stuff, like how many 1983 cars are on the road these days, and of those cars, how many of them are civics/corollas that aren't even gross polluters. I think CA the 35 year law abolishment was a good thing environmentally, but keeping it 1965 and earlier is a stretch and should be re-evaluated every so often I think.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Thanks, I'll get the smog sorted and drive it eventually. it deserves that at least!
Sweet car. If you're in LA, I have a creative mechanic who might be able help you pass smog on the closer side of "legal", but it's hard to say for sure that it's doable if you need specific part numbers etc. to get it passed. PM if you want his details, he's always taken care of my older cars.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

Sweet car. If you're in LA, I have a creative mechanic who might be able help you pass smog on the closer side of "legal", but it's hard to say for sure that it's doable if you need specific part numbers etc. to get it passed. PM if you want his details, he's always taken care of my older cars.

I am in LA as a matter of fact! Sending you a PM.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Yep, I actually replaced the cat when I got it as it failed smog then, but passed after that was done so I know this one isn't gutted, but it could be clogged up already which would suck. The EGR system was pretty nasty when I cleaned everything out so that wouldn't surprise me. Wholeheartedly agree on the limitations on smog stuff, like how many 1983 cars are on the road these days, and of those cars, how many of them are civics/corollas that aren't even gross polluters. I think CA the 35 year law abolishment was a good thing environmentally, but keeping it 1965 and earlier is a stretch and should be re-evaluated every so often I think.

It's 1975. Otherwise, agreed.

How many older-but-not-yet-classic enthusiast-owned vehicles are there out there that it's worth this much hassle and cost for everyone?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Raluek posted:

It's 1975. Otherwise, agreed.

How many older-but-not-yet-classic enthusiast-owned vehicles are there out there that it's worth this much hassle and cost for everyone?

Right, fat fingers. I think in the next 10 years there would be an influx of modified vehicles as the early 90s cars will be turning 35 soon so it sort of makes sense, but still the percentage of those cars is so miniscule that it doesn't even really matter imo.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

I mean, the assumption is that the cost and hassle will lead people to buy newer cars, which are more fuel efficient and cleaner burning.

While it ignores the possibility that continually building new cars might also be harmful for the environment, you’ve described a feature, not a bug. Most people get the letters I’m getting and have to smog more often and decide it’s not worth it, so they buy a nice new car where they don’t have to smog it at all for (6?) years.

I've been curious on this concept for a long time. Would we be better off repairing and maintaining every vehicle ever made and only adding to the supply of cars as population grows? Grandpa's Model T gets repowered with a cleaner motor every decade, driving around with a small 3cyl turbo? I imagine something It would definitely be an interesting landscape of cars. You'd have to highly tax cars to cover the negative externalities of manufacturing, which would incentivize people to modify or maintain their cars rather than scrap them. Driving would be incredibly unsafe as well.

I usually get sidetracked on that since obviously there's bigger issues like designing society around cars in the first place.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Krakkles posted:

I mean, the assumption is that the cost and hassle will lead people to buy newer cars, which are more fuel efficient and cleaner burning.

While it ignores the possibility that continually building new cars might also be harmful for the environment, you’ve described a feature, not a bug. Most people get the letters I’m getting and have to smog more often and decide it’s not worth it, so they buy a nice new car where they don’t have to smog it at all for (6?) years.

this doesn't make sense to me though, at least at this point, because most of those older cars are enthusiast-owned. and if you jerk around the enthusiast too much, they're either going to go around the law, or they're going to go the other way from what you describe, i.e. seek out exclusively older cars.

is it really that much more environmentally friendly to daily a big-block powered chevelle than a big-block powered miata?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
perhaps the chevelle was a bad example because of their retained value. pre-76 square body c-10's, for example, are still pretty obtainable, and you can put whatever motor your want in them

it just doesnt pass the sniff test that there are enough car people with lets say '76-'95 would-be projects that it would make a difference if they were allowed to have some fun too

e: started writing post before your edit. i think we agree??? :confuoot:

Raluek fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 2, 2021

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Seems like there needs to be some sort of limited mileage registration that's exempt from emissions testing. Dunno how you'd police it though, it'd end up like diesel mileage here where odometer tampering is rife.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

dissss posted:

Seems like there needs to be some sort of limited mileage registration that's exempt from emissions testing. Dunno how you'd police it though, it'd end up like diesel mileage here where odometer tampering is rife.

Even cars in CA that can be registered as "Historical Vehicles" that you're only supposed to drive to shows, parades, etc. aren't smog exempt. It's way dumb.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cool poo poo should be smog exempt. If the state of California would like to employ me to be the judge of cool to help them out with this issue, my rate is very affordable.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Cool poo poo should be smog exempt. If the state of California would like to employ me to be the judge of cool to help them out with this issue, my rate is very affordable.

Would you employ a similar "wrong thread" rule to the one we have here?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
You have to apply for a smog exemption, and if your car doesn't meet the coolness criteria it gets crushed.

That could be entertaining.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is judged by a panel like on one of those lovely cooking or tattoo shows where it is dragged out for 20 minutes with multiple commercial breaks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
California has some smog exempt zones, I've gathered people register to addresses in those zones.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

BlackMK4 posted:

California has some smog exempt zones, I've gathered people register to addresses in those zones.

I'm also guessing that cops aren't dumbasses and if you get stopped in a shitbox registered in a smog-free zone, and your driver's license is for a smog zone, and you're driving in said smog zone, you'll get in more trouble.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, not saying it is the smartest thing ever

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

chrisgt posted:

I'm also guessing that cops aren't dumbasses

Hmmmmm

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Probably the same if you register as a historic vehicle in AZ and don't have classic insurance for it. Probably only caught if you are doing something stupid but if you do get caught then :smith:.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Washington State ended smog testing in 2020 after having it for 38 years, and I am pretty jealous as an Oregon resident.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BigPaddy posted:

Probably the same if you register as a historic vehicle in AZ and don't have classic insurance for it. Probably only caught if you are doing something stupid but if you do get caught then :smith:.

Mmm, the real loophole is for 15+ year old cars. Collectors insurance exempts you, and it was cheaper with an agreed value Grundy than my other Geico insurance policy.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

To get the C10 registered I had to do that because the PO removed the original engine and smog stuff for the 350 so there was no feasible way to get it past smog nor would I want to. Might need to move the Boxster to the collectors insurance and not have to worry about getting that smogged in the future.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rusty posted:

Washington State ended smog testing in 2020 after having it for 38 years, and I am pretty jealous as an Oregon resident.

They only did it for vehicles 25 years and newer too. I wonder what they did with all those dynamometers.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I've never had to deal with emissions testing, but I am real tired of safety inspection.
If you want to check safety things, check to make sure my brake lines aren't rotted and my tires aren't bald. But gently caress off with rusty wheel arches on pickup trucks and poo poo like that.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

my dad always used to tell me when i first started getting into cars - "a safety check ensures a car is safe just like a driver test ensures you're a capable driver", something like that, and always dripping with sarcasm

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I had to buy an entirely new ecu for my evo to pass Massachusetts emissions testing because the previous owner managed to gently caress with it enough that not even flashing it back to stock resulted it in the software presenting an approved checksum when they run the software through the testing mechanism. They only tell you this after you silently fail it two years in a row and you have to go to a secret (literally, they won’t tell you the address until the day before and only over the phone) state inspection facility.

Now I have to do this dance every year where I swap ecus, injectors and the boost controller out to pass inspection, then just put everything back. Thankfully I don’t have an exhaust mods or anything more of a pain in the rear end to deal with, and I kept all the stock bits. It’s a huge waste of time for a car I drive less than 5000 miles a year in, and half of that is on a track.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

I had to buy an entirely new ecu for my evo to pass Massachusetts emissions testing because the previous owner managed to gently caress with it enough that not even flashing it back to stock resulted it in the software presenting an approved checksum when they run the software through the testing mechanism. They only tell you this after you silently fail it two years in a row and you have to go to a secret (literally, they won’t tell you the address until the day before and only over the phone) state inspection facility.

Now I have to do this dance every year where I swap ecus, injectors and the boost controller out to pass inspection, then just put everything back. Thankfully I don’t have an exhaust mods or anything more of a pain in the rear end to deal with, and I kept all the stock bits. It’s a huge waste of time for a car I drive less than 5000 miles a year in, and half of that is on a track.

Yea, Mass really started going bananas with that. Do they still do the thing where they clear the readyness state to make sure it doesn't come back immediately, showing readyness was tuned out?
I had a friend who had to go through this BS with the secret testing facility. It's insane.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I allegedly went to a sketch place a long time ago (not intending to) and they just sold me a sticker - I wasn't even going to fail and I just had a normal car, I just happened to realize I needed an inspection and went to the first place I saw.
i think they cracked down a lot on that poo poo recently but it was hilarious.

My ridgeline also failed recently for the tiniest rust hole of all time, just laughable that he even noticed it. Charged me and didn't even want to fix it, and I waited nearly 4 hours for it...

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

chrisgt posted:

Yea, Mass really started going bananas with that. Do they still do the thing where they clear the readyness state to make sure it doesn't come back immediately, showing readyness was tuned out?
I had a friend who had to go through this BS with the secret testing facility. It's insane.

The readiness being tuned out can be caught by the checksum when they run their software, since any change from the stock configuration will result in a different checksum from whatever hash function they are running. What I had told to me was that if the checksum isn’t on an approved list you would fail. Mine passes all the readiness checks with my custom tune, none of them are tuned out; it was just the checksum that wasn’t in line.

Once the reflash didn’t work I knew that I had to buy a new ECU but I kept pretending like I didn’t understand any of it so I could figure out what they were actually doing. There’s a list of checksums that are just the stock tunes for every make and model but apparently you can also pass if there is a car that did somehow pass with a different checksum that matches your make and model already in the state database. This is to crack down on custom tunes but not necessarily approved off the shelf ones. It’s all so incredibly unnecessary. My tune fails because of a technicality, not because anything in the emissions system is actually out of line.

Anyway here’s another pic of my highly illegal car so as not to derail the thread any further. This is the same track day before I adjusted the compression settings in the front and it really exaggerates the body roll when I forget to do that.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

evo on a tarmac circuit - you love to see it

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Voltage posted:

I allegedly went to a sketch place a long time ago (not intending to) and they just sold me a sticker - I wasn't even going to fail and I just had a normal car, I just happened to realize I needed an inspection and went to the first place I saw.
i think they cracked down a lot on that poo poo recently but it was hilarious.

My ridgeline also failed recently for the tiniest rust hole of all time, just laughable that he even noticed it. Charged me and didn't even want to fix it, and I waited nearly 4 hours for it...

I got failed here in PA for only having one catalytic converter on my S2000. In a non-emissions county. PA inspection is a loving racket and make no mistake.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Yep, wish they'd put a time limit on stuff like this. The standards my 1st gen RX-7 had to pass in the '80s are laughable by todays standards, ditching the complete joke of emissions controls equipment (thermal reactor + air pump) isn't going to make a difference when every other car on the road today (including my other cars) are heavily equipped with catalytic converters.

Particularly stupid when they, like California, require the OEM cat (or cats in the case of earlier RX-7s) rather than a modern high-efficiency cat that would work better.

chrisgt posted:

So much effort to catch out that, what? 2% who gently caress with their cars?

Thank God TX has the rolling 25-year rule. The last two years my '90 RX-7 still required emissions, I had to run about 75% E85 to get it to pass the HC check - everything else was within spec. I think my ECU was running the car rich all the time. I had other indicators of that, like mileage being not as good as it should be, even for a rotary, but never sorted it out.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I got failed here in PA for only having one catalytic converter on my S2000. In a non-emissions county. PA inspection is a loving racket and make no mistake.

Ah single sticker county, nice.

I tell myself I stick it to the man by never getting my bikes inspected. I'm convinced most cops don't even know bikes can/should be inspected because I've never once had an issue in almost 15 years of riding, and even being pulled over twice on uninspected bikes for other stuff.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I went into the garage with a box of 6011 rods and came out with a new turbodiesel snow plow. Maybe I won't break my back shoveling this winter:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
hell yeah better front end reliability than any k2500 with a plow

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

do a stoppie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Powershift posted:

do a stoppie!

Surprised the rear wheels are on the ground when static as is.