Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Windows permissions are weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FungiCap posted:

The opsec utilized here is so terrible it's comical. If you're gonna try and pull a big digital heist like this, at least spend a few weeks or months studying and learning how to implement some basic TTPs .

Are you seriously expecting competence, skills and effort from an ubiquiti networks dev?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

Are you seriously expecting competence, skills and effort from an ubiquiti networks dev?

I have posted before about my experience working for Ubiquiti most of a decade ago. Place was a shitshow.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Reminder that Ubiquiti is the same company that wired millions of dollars away as they fell victim to a relatively simple phishing attack years ago.

Their stuff is great for home office very small business, but holy poo poo what a cluster beyond that scale.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Reminder that Ubiquiti is the same company that wired millions of dollars away as they fell victim to a relatively simple phishing attack years ago.

Their stuff is great for home office very small business, but holy poo poo what a cluster beyond that scale.

It really is a shame because they had a great opportunity to really smash the stranglehold Cisco had on small and medium business networks. Welp.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah UI stuff is fine and the company is a shitshow. But I will choose it every time over Cisco, the money lamprey.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I always thought of Ubiquiti as having really good hardware for the money but with perpetually beta software that may or may not eventually get all the features they promise. Which is great for certain market segments and terrible for others.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah UI stuff is fine and the company is a shitshow. But I will choose it every time over Cisco, the money lamprey.

"You need a license for your license. Also if you fail to update your license we will PERSONALLY show up to reclaim our hardware." - Cisco

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

CommieGIR posted:

"You need a license for your license. Also if you fail to update your license we will PERSONALLY show up to reclaim our hardware." - Cisco

Also the license structure changed and the licenses you have can’t do what you need so you have to move to these other licenses, your third license migration this year.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I'm sure cisco execs in charge of licensing jizzed everyday when they discovered Meraki and how it effectively bricks the device when the license expires.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

KillHour posted:

I always thought of Ubiquiti as having really good hardware for the money but with perpetually beta software that may or may not eventually get all the features they promise. Which is great for certain market segments and terrible for others.

The hardware was always iffy, mostly because of inconsistent manufacturing in China. Sometimes it was indestructible, other times even light weather or sunshine could break it. Then you also had knock-offs made in Russia after one factory sold the build designs to someone else after losing a contract.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I feel like MicroTik has taken Ubiquiti's role as the prosumer choice.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jeoh posted:

I feel like MicroTik has taken Ubiquiti's role as the prosumer choice.
They're way more of a pain to manage last I checked.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Doesn't Mikrotik still have problems with jumboframes?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

evil_bunnY posted:

They're way more of a pain to manage last I checked.

Mikrotik's UI is the epitome of 90s interfaces built by programmers.

You have every single option under the sun available to you, but the organization is convoluted and inconsistent, and it's extremely easy to do something stupid, there are very few (if any) safeguards.

Also, you select WLAN channels directly by frequency, no easy channel numbers here.

Once it's setup, it tends to work quite well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Mikrotik's UI is the epitome of 90s interfaces built by programmers.

You have every single option under the sun available to you, but the organization is convoluted and inconsistent, and it's extremely easy to do something stupid, there are very few (if any) safeguards.

Also, you select WLAN channels directly by frequency, no easy channel numbers here.

Once it's setup, it tends to work quite well.

Its this. The Hardware is good. Microtik also supports 2.5GB/10GB SFPs better, but everything else is an absolute pain management wise.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MikroTik Wi-Fi is still very hit and miss, last explanation I had for that was that ROS 6 couldn’t run the drivers supplied as binary blobs by the radio vendors because the Linux kernel was so old, and it was another one of those things that ROS 7 will fix.

There’s not really many options in this space that don’t involve making massive compromises, I’m currently getting on well with Teltonika devices as they seem pretty powerful, run OpenWrt and have decent LTE options.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

MikroTik Wi-Fi is still very hit and miss, last explanation I had for that was that ROS 6 couldn’t run the drivers supplied as binary blobs by the radio vendors because the Linux kernel was so old, and it was another one of those things that ROS 7 will fix.

There’s not really many options in this space that don’t involve making massive compromises, I’m currently getting on well with Teltonika devices as they seem pretty powerful, run OpenWrt and have decent LTE options.

I liked the Mikrotik router I had, it is a Mikrotik RB951G-2HND. I ended up disabling the wifi because it wasn't strong enough and I was also having some connectivity issues. Ended up going down the path of buying Unifi AC Pros just for wifi and now I have an entire stack of Unifi stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I have a Microtik running as my core switch in my Homelab, its nice because cheap 10GB Uplinks and a bunch of other features, but may replace it with a Cisco NX3000

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I have a Microtik running as my core switch in my Homelab, its nice because cheap 10GB Uplinks and a bunch of other features, but may replace it with a Cisco NX3000

Do you have a way to get OS updates?

Which 3k would you get? I don't know the product line very well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boner Wad posted:

Ended up going down the path of buying Unifi AC Pros just for wifi and now I have an entire stack of Unifi stuff.

Yeah, I wanted the in-wall wifi/hub things from Unifi and now here we are.

One of my APs has something wrong with it where goes dead every 4-6 months, though the Ethernet hub part is still fine, and I haven’t been able to figure it out.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm 3 weeks into the poo poo show for a security program job and its worn me down already...

Im still optimistic but good lord this place is so behind and backwards at times. Like we have a single bucket with all of our cloudtrail logs, which is a great start!

Now I want to actually be able to look at said logs, looked into Athena as a quick interim solution until we get proper log ingestion or a SIEM of any kind. Nope not allowed, we dont want to change the logs. Ooookkkk. Can we copy them to another bucket? Nope not allowed would be to expensive. OK, can we setup a Lambda or something to copy to an InfoSec bucket? Nope to expensive. OK can I at least turn on GuardDuty? Nope to expensive.

OK I guess I'll just sit at home collecting paychecks, screaming into the void then.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm 3 weeks into the poo poo show for a security program job and its worn me down already...

Im still optimistic but good lord this place is so behind and backwards at times. Like we have a single bucket with all of our cloudtrail logs, which is a great start!

Now I want to actually be able to look at said logs, looked into Athena as a quick interim solution until we get proper log ingestion or a SIEM of any kind. Nope not allowed, we dont want to change the logs. Ooookkkk. Can we copy them to another bucket? Nope not allowed would be to expensive. OK, can we setup a Lambda or something to copy to an InfoSec bucket? Nope to expensive. OK can I at least turn on GuardDuty? Nope to expensive.

OK I guess I'll just sit at home collecting paychecks, screaming into the void then.

Been there, done that. Just sit still, collect the paycheck, and wait for something to change. Banging your head against the wall isn't going to change anything. Something will have to bend/break eventually.

And LOL at someone saying these things are too expensive. Whoever is applying this opinion is an imposter that needs to be exposed eventually. I am sure leadership doesn't think that basic security is too expensive.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Non insignificant parts of my security "career" have been spent filling out risk registers with details about why I can't do my job.

And failing anywhere to document your lack of resources then --

Sickening posted:

Just sit still, collect the paycheck, and wait for something to change more recruiters.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If your S3 bucket containing logs is too expensive then you're either logging more SMS data than the NSA or te person doesn't have a clue. On demand GPUs are expensive. Direct Connect is expensive. But S3? Come on.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ynglaur posted:

If your S3 bucket containing logs is too expensive then you're either logging more SMS data than the NSA or te person doesn't have a clue. On demand GPUs are expensive. Direct Connect is expensive. But S3? Come on.

"Our security budget is exactly the sum of your annual salary, and not a penny more!"

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This is the same place that told me we dont need log digest turned on for Cloudtrail because we restrict access to the bucket containing the logs.

Like some of the stuff here is so dumb I question if its me thats wrong. Im good with Cloudtrail, Config, SCPs, GuardDuty, etc and fully aware that I dont know everything. The vibe at this place is that cloud engineers are king poo poo and know everything and that I'm dumb for even asking.

I need to let it go like Sickening said. Keep collecting paychecks, use my ample free time to lab and learn more on the company dime, and keep on repeating myself until someone listens.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Welcome to Infosec. This is the average experience. Get a good sense of humor and roll with the punches, because it rarely gets better. Document every risk you discover, call them out, but maker sure you have all the evidence for when a breach actually occurs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Welcome to Infosec. This is the average experience. Get a good sense of humor and roll with the punches, because it rarely gets better. Document every risk you discover, call them out, but maker sure you have all the evidence for when a breach actually occurs.

Yeah, the most important lesson you'll learn in InfoSec is that CYA is king.

Document and have a paper trail for everything. Do not rely on verbal communication when the incident you predicted actually happens. All 10 people in the meeting where you stood on the table and shouted your truth to the gods will swear you never told them a thing. Always follow up any phone call or conversation/meeting with an email detailing what was discussed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, the most important lesson you'll learn in InfoSec is that CYA is king.

Document and have a paper trail for everything. Do not rely on verbal communication when the incident you predicted actually happens. All 10 people in the meeting where you stood on the table and shouted your truth to the gods will swear you never told them a thing. Always follow up any phone call or conversation/meeting with an email detailing what was discussed.

And when Cyberinsurance comes calling, asking why the risks that led to the breach were not dealt with, they may point the finger at you to try to save their payout. You better have proof otherwise.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lol CYA just get ready to hear “well if you thought it was so dire why didn’t you continue to escalate it”

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Martytoof posted:

lol CYA just get ready to hear “well if you thought it was so dire why didn’t you continue to escalate it”

"It's the security team's fault that the CEO and CFO cut the budget without discussing it with the CISO"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
"My boss says I don't scream enough."

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

thread title or bullet point on my resume?

geonetix posted:

"It's the security team's fault that the CEO and CFO cut the budget without discussing it with the CISO"

unironically someone will find a way to blame the sec team for not making everyone panic enough to throw money around

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ynglaur posted:

"Why didn't you PERSONALLY stop the launch of this product if you felt these Critical and High vulnerabilities were problems? Yes, yes, we know you told the Dev team and filed the report with management that they weren't ready, but why didn't you, like, physically walk into their office and unplug their computers?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DrDork posted:

"Why didn't you PERSONALLY stop the launch of this product if you felt these Critical and High vulnerabilities were problems? Yes, yes, we know you told the Dev team and filed the report with management that they weren't ready, but why didn't you, like, physically walk into their office and unplug their computers?"

Its usually not that dramatic, but I've had a CIO actually ask why we didn't make more of a fuss when they signed off on owning the risk.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
I'm doing some fun WiFi penetration testing type things right now and was wondering if anyone could vouch for a useful rogue AP alternative to the hak5 Pineapple?

I have a mark 7 and in past assessments I've felt that it is REALLY kludgy. It's also annoying that the new version broke all of the old plug-ins that people relied on.

I know a few people who throw together some raspberry pi-type project but I don't have a lot of time for the development side, and need something with a little more lasting power to justify a purchase from my client.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Its usually not that dramatic, but I've had a CIO actually ask why we didn't make more of a fuss when they signed off on owning the risk.

"I'm here to protect the company, not you personally."

How dumb do you have to be to explicitly take on risk without understanding it? I know, I know. Let me pretend.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Let me present to you what I suspect is the average executive or business owner's risk acceptance criteria:

1) Will this risk keep me from launching a product and/or service and meeting my bonus targets
2) Is the risk likely to manifest in an incident before I am headhunted by a competitor

If the answer to one is yes and two is no then congratulations your "risk" is now just an email on the pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Martytoof posted:

Let me present to you what I suspect is the average executive or business owner's risk acceptance criteria:

1) Will this risk keep me from launching a product and/or service and meeting my bonus targets
2) Is the risk likely to manifest in an incident before I am headhunted by a competitor

If the answer to one is yes and two is no then congratulations your "risk" is now just an email on the pile.

And if it comes back to bit him after #2, how likely is it that you get thrown under the bus for "not advising him adequately on the long term risks", despite the email trail.