Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

OnimaruXLR posted:

This makes it sound like you read every other issue

The Daredevils power couple is a neat concept that I hope sticks around for a bit. I also hope Chip can eventually make the Hand interesting, which no one else has been able to do by my reckoning, which is baffling considering they're like, evil ninja wizards and poo poo

I will riot if they get rid of that kick rear end elektra DD costume. This was a great run and I'm glad I got in on it a couple months ago. I think they're doing a one shot or a mini series to fill the gap between this and devils reign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Gologle posted:

So is Zdarsky's run on Daredevil over? I'll admit, I lost the plot a few times, mostly because I kept accidentally skipping issues. Did Electra's kid die? How is Matt out of prison? When did the Kingpin get remarried? Isn't Butch Kingpin's son? I thought Mike knew that Daredevil was Matt? Why is Mr. Fantastic fighting at street level? What does that last page imply? What about the clone Bullseyes?

Did you not read the full issue? We literally see Kingpin's wedding. They also explain that Daredevil got his prison sentence commuted after all, because Foggy successfully argued he only escaped because of the drug, which he was only exposed to because of the FBI investigation they asked his help on. I think Mr. Fantastic was looking for Daredevil to discuss the vigilante issue, and decided to help him foil the robbery. I'm assuming the last page implied Kingpin either figured out Matt's identity, or is starting to put the pieces together. Probably what will lead to Devil's Reign.

Bullseye killed off the clones in the previous issue. Butch is Kingpin's kid. Honestly I don't recall what happened to the girl Electra was helping, though I don't think she died. I think she ran off?

Edit: I gave Venom a chance, since I was interested in what Ewing would do with the character, but don't think I have any interest in whatever Ram V's doing with his part of the story. A politician running specifically on symbiots as an issue just seems odd, even with the recent Knull focused events. Would the average person in the Marvel universe even know the term? Seems like they'd just lump them in with all the other alien invasions.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 2, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

glitchwraith posted:

Edit: I gave Venom a chance, since I was interested in what Ewing would do with the character, but don't think I have any interest in whatever Ram V's doing with his part of the story. A politician running specifically on symbiots as an issue just seems odd, even with the recent Knull focused events. Would the average person in the Marvel universe even know the term? Seems like they'd just lump them in with all the other alien invasions.

Those single issue Symbiot voters are an untapped demograph in Marvel politics.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

The Question IRL posted:

Those single issue Symbiot voters are an untapped demograph in Marvel politics.

I'm sure they've just been co-opted by the "New Yorkers Have Had Enough with Alien Invasions, Property Destruction, and Constant Construction" group. Damage Control lobbies heavily against this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair people keep voting for unstable criminals who do a sort of good thing once.

So I’m more impressed they haven’t elected Carnage to comptroller already

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair people keep voting for unstable criminals who do a sort of good thing once.

Maximum Coinage.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
What unstable criminals hold/held office canonically in Marvel? There's Fisk as Mayor, Obama as President, Jameson as Mayor, Jim Jaspers as PM, Senator Kelly from the X-Men, Nixon as President...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

glitchwraith posted:

I'm assuming the last page implied Kingpin either figured out Matt's identity, or is starting to put the pieces together. Probably what will lead to Devil's Reign.

It's a callback to the bit earlier in the issue when Matt tells Elektra about how Killgrave's kids hypnotized the world, how they could "look at a piece of paper that says Matt Murdock is Daredevil and see something completely different, or nothing at all." Fisk is looking at his file of proof that Matt is Daredevil and not seeing anything. It strikes him as odd that he doesn't see anything.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's a callback to the bit earlier in the issue when Matt tells Elektra about how Killgrave's kids hypnotized the world, how they could "look at a piece of paper that says Matt Murdock is Daredevil and see something completely different, or nothing at all." Fisk is looking at his file of proof that Matt is Daredevil and not seeing anything. It strikes him as odd that he doesn't see anything.

Gotcha. Caught on that it was referencing the secret identity discussion, but was confused what Kingpin was supposed to be seeing. Still, I'd file that under "putting the pieces together".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CharlestheHammer posted:

the guy running for congress in Venom is the new Carnage so odds are pretty good!

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

You'd think that the Wizard's master plan would involve the forever gate but instead it's family court. I love cheesy superhero law procedurals.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

the guy running for congress in Venom is the new Carnage so odds are pretty good!

Ah, so it's a closeted politician metaphor, albeit an awkward one.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Kingpin's going to have to borrow a doombot to read his files for him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cloks posted:

What unstable criminals hold/held office canonically in Marvel? There's Fisk as Mayor, Obama as President, Jameson as Mayor, Jim Jaspers as PM, Senator Kelly from the X-Men, Nixon as President...

Norman Osborn as head of National Security or something, but that was an appointment, not an election (Thanks Obama).

I see what you're doing with the Obama/Nixon stuff and I like it, but I wouldn't describe Obama as unstable, and Nixon wasn't explicitly named or shown. The Captain America story where Reagan turns into a snake, I can't remember if they ever used Reagan's name, but the pre snake drawing of the president was definitely Reagan.

Not Marvel, but in the Return of Superman portion of Death and Return, Cyborg Superman (the evil one) saves a president that's very much definitely Bill Clinton, though again, I don't think they use his name.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blockhouse posted:

is cassidy dead dead again for real this time we swear

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why didn't Daredevil just sell his marriage to the devil to fix his identity crisis instead of hiring a hypnotist?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

site posted:

is cassidy dead dead again for real this time we swear

I think because of the codex he'll always exist in some form but his original body is dead dead

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gologle posted:

Why didn't Daredevil just sell his marriage to the devil to fix his identity crisis instead of hiring a hypnotist?

He's Catholic.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Norman Osborn as head of National Security or something, but that was an appointment, not an election (Thanks Obama).

I see what you're doing with the Obama/Nixon stuff and I like it, but I wouldn't describe Obama as unstable, and Nixon wasn't explicitly named or shown. The Captain America story where Reagan turns into a snake, I can't remember if they ever used Reagan's name, but the pre snake drawing of the president was definitely Reagan.

Not Marvel, but in the Return of Superman portion of Death and Return, Cyborg Superman (the evil one) saves a president that's very much definitely Bill Clinton, though again, I don't think they use his name.

Reagan shows up in the X-Men, too. Rogue blows him a kiss, which shows disappointing taste in men.

FDR was president in the 616:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

Captain America kinda sorta became President when he was a Nazi but that was more "wresting power from the government" than an election. Ultimate Captain America did get fairly elected on his earth, and while not strictly a villain, Ultimate Cap was a jingoist prick.

Iron Man was Secretary of Defense, and again while not a villain, it was post-Civil War when everyone wrote him as a total rear end in a top hat.

Technically Marvel publishes Star Wars comics, so Emperor Palpatine counts.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 3, 2021

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Did Donald Trump (explicitly or thinly-veiled ie Reagan) ever show up as President in any Marvel comic? Or did they have an informal "nah gently caress that guy we're not even acknowledging this" policy? My knowledge of comics before the mid 00s is pretty poor so I don't even know if real politicians are usually acknowledged or not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Is he technically still married to Milla?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

Did Donald Trump (explicitly or thinly-veiled ie Reagan) ever show up as President in any Marvel comic? Or did they have an informal "nah gently caress that guy we're not even acknowledging this" policy? My knowledge of comics before the mid 00s is pretty poor so I don't even know if real politicians are usually acknowledged or not.

I'm like 99% they never acknowledged it. I've only been reading since post 2000s but it seems like aside from special issues like that special issue of Spider-Man where Obama's front and center, most politicians aren't acknowledged these days, likely to keep comics from feeling dated on re-reads.

e: or I guess if you wanna be cynical about it, it could be so anybody on either side doesn't get mad and stop reading comics whenever the next time some President blows their head off in front of Captain America.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 3, 2021

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Is he technically still married to Milla?

No, it was either annulled or there was a divorce after it was shown that Matt cheated on her with Dakota North.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think the last time the president showed up was obama sanctioning caption marvel abducting people in cw2

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Never forget Red Skull as Dell Rusk, Secretary of Defense.

In other news, I read Vulpes latest two Spider-Man one shots (Daughters of the Dragon, and Death of Doctor Strange: Spider-Man). DotD has a “When I was young, I studied the blade.” joke after Misty says she actually went on dates in high school, unlike Colleen. And the pocket battlefield from Morrison and Jones Marvel Boy becomes a plot point. The second book is a fun Ben Reilly and Black Cat romp through New York’s magical side.

Both are well worth picking up if you want something fun and low stakes in the current Spider-Man orbit.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Cletus is fully integrated into the personality of the symbiote or buried I'm it somehow, I'm sure.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Diet Poison posted:

They fought a wink wink analogue of him from another dimension in Ewing's U.S.Avengers, which was a very fun book:

His whole thing was that he ran his criminal operation out of a big skyscraper with his name on it in gold letters, didn't pay his goons, took credit for a bunch of stolen Arcade deathtraps, and got beaten because his gaudy golden battle suit--

--was solid gold and not gold-plated so it just kind of got ripped apart and thrown away in two panels.

The arc kicked off in January 2017 so at the time it felt... pointed.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
So, apologies in advance, but I saw this panel in Marvel Team-Up #149 (Cannonball and Spidey by Louise Simson, very good)

and I couldn't help myself.

Click here for a bunch of edits.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Cloks posted:

Henry Kissinger in Super-Villain Team-Up (1976):

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

best current marvel writers: ewing, zdarsky, mackay. In no particular order since they seem to have found their respective niches. That Death of Doctor Strange Spider-Man tie in smacked of smart problem solving and I really enjoyed it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Reagan shows up in the X-Men, too. Rogue blows him a kiss, which shows disappointing taste in men.

FDR was president in the 616:

FDR is like the only president that isn't an evil bastard though.

Edit: Lincoln too.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 3, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

Ah, the villains were Doom and Kissinger. Very good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

FDR is like the only president that isn't an evil bastard though.

Edit: Lincoln too.

Interment says otherwise

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Angry Salami posted:

I genuinely cannot believe this man is still alive. He's one of the defining figures of the Cold War.

The Cold War, and the Venture Bros.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's too early to come up with a joke so just posting this on case MoS might get a kick out of it, if he hasn't already seen it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Interment says otherwise

And Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus.

It's seriously grasping at straws to find a "good" president.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Skwirl posted:

And Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus.

It's seriously grasping at straws to find a "good" president.

William Henry Harrison is the closest

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

William Henry Harrison is the closest

That's the one that died like 27 days into the job, right? From drinking an insane amount of iced milk at his inauguration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

That's the one that died like 27 days into the job, right? From drinking an insane amount of iced milk at his inauguration?

you're thinking of Taylor who died of "iced milk and cherries" (getting sick from living in a swamp with poor sewage management)

Harrison died because he gave a long speech in the rain, got sick and had the best medical care available at the time

Harrison is our only president to die from giving an unstoppable villain monologue, to bring it back to comics