Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I still have a traditional sound card, that probably gets the same 5V as the USB ports, and there's gently caress all noise. If that works, some USB DAC ought to be able to do it noise free, too.

--edit: O wai, PCIe has 3.3V and 12V only. Nevermind then.

Oh no, what if there is a *makes spooooooky noises* switching power supply on board!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

movax posted:

Also, I think I posted in this thread about it but must be loving blind — what was the brand that would make custom braided / colored cables for you if you didn’t mind spending some extra bucks for something that you know doesn’t sound any better but looks cooler? Saves me the time of buying the braid / connectors from Digi-Key and putting it all together.

Blue Jeans Cable does this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

movax posted:

Oh no, what if there is a *makes spooooooky noises* switching power supply on board!?!?!
Where? My soundcard? And here I thought I had a tinnitus.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
You can definitely get lovely $10 USB DACs that aren't going to be any better than the DAC on even the most budget Chromebook, but I would hope that would be obvious. That being said, even older mid-range DACs are fine - I have an Edirol UA-5 that's got to be almost 20 years old at this point and it's still perfectly usable. Plus the DAC in any halfway decent receiver is generally just fine too - I have a Yamaha HTR-5550 connected to one of my TVs and I've never had any issues with the sound quality on the S/PDIF inputs.

For more information that you could possibly need about modern equipment, check out the reviews on https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Some of you guys may have seen this before but I'll just post it in case not, as it is bonkers.
It's long as gently caress, yes, but worth the time. Even just skim through a bit if your time is more valuable than mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b2IOOhJmxw

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
man the vizio v-series 5.1 surround sound system has some major subwoofer, bass, and high volume issues

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol

quote:

Subwoofer Size 5" (127.00mm)
Subwoofer Weight 7.60lbs (3.5kg)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
My car's midrange speakers are bigger than that lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There should be a consumer protection law that you're not allowed to call something a subwoofer if it could be knocked over by an energetic housecat.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it's probably completely fine for most normies that don't have our illness

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

On the one hand this is hilarious on the other hand I kinda dig the aesthetic as a PS1 fan.
https://twitter.com/fearian/status/1455504650183090176?s=21

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

It's $200 for a full surround system. It's fine.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

njsykora posted:

On the one hand this is hilarious on the other hand I kinda dig the aesthetic as a PS1 fan.

My very first post in this thread 12 years ago :corsair: was about how I hilarious I thought that phenomenon was, glad to see it's still going strong.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

njsykora posted:

This is awesome

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So people don't rip their CDs and then store them in a box? Huh.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

qirex posted:

There should be a consumer protection law that you're not allowed to call something a subwoofer if it could be knocked over by an energetic housecat.

I found these lovely desktop pc speakers among my father's stuff. He had no reason to own these and I'm 100% he only bought them for the dad pun/joke thing of super woofer being printed on the so called subwoofer, like it was truth in advertising. We didn't have a great bond, but sometimes I think of the super woofer and go 'heh'.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hoffman's Iron Law should be stickered up on every single audio product out there.

Small, Loud, Low. Pick two.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So I have Dolby Atmos for Headphones installed. Turns out it never really did its job properly, because I'm using MPC-BE and have its WASAPI output mode set to shared (which is default), and therefore doesn't pass the bitstream as-is and instead just decodes it itself. :shobon:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lol on the latest veritasium video about electricity misconceptions:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There will never be a topic where the handwaving is so much more elaborate than the actual science [which is pretty simple] than AC power.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Audio cables are AC..

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Mostly AC, there’s always going to be a tiny bit of DC present. But the “large air gap” is relative to voltage, so in signal cables you’re good with pretty much the normal manufacturing tolerances. For speaker cables, same again if the cable cross sectional surface area itself is reasonable for the application.

There are far more audible and objectionable distortions in most loudspeakers than any small noise picked up by the speaker cables in the vast majority of installations anyway.

It’s still a good idea not to run all of your signal or speaker cables right alongside the mains power ones even if they’re balanced, but a few inches is typically sufficient.

All that said, I hope that commenter goes on to launch their own snake oil cable company and becomes very rich and revered.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Neurophonic posted:

All that said, I hope that commenter goes on to launch their own snake oil cable company and becomes very rich and revered.

I’m still looking for goons to start my audiophile ‘solar power + storage’ company with

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m still looking for goons to start my audiophile ‘solar power + storage’ company with

I have a friend who works in hydrogen fuel cell manufacturing, and another who deploys large scale solar field arrays. Let’s talk.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Don't tell this guy who's obsessed with RF noise that we already solved the problem with balanced audio cables. Let life break his heart on its own.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

I found these lovely desktop pc speakers among my father's stuff. He had no reason to own these and I'm 100% he only bought them for the dad pun/joke thing of super woofer being printed on the so called subwoofer, like it was truth in advertising. We didn't have a great bond, but sometimes I think of the super woofer and go 'heh'.

I sometimes think of your dad and go 'heh', so it makes sense.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Something glorious, an audiophile SSD.

quote:

Designed from ground up, co-develop with controller manufacturer using 3D NAND flash with pseudo SLC mode, external clock oscillator, 200% more PCB copper isolation, milspec PCB stiffness, 300% grounding surface, 5u gold plated connectors, plus external power input, additional capacitor filteration. These results to real 3 demensional souding, sense of vinyl and dynamic sound no other SSD currently can offer or even close to.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
"sense of vinyl" lmbo

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mederlock posted:

"sense of vinyl" lmbo

Completely clear sound, also distortion from an inaccurate storage medium.

Edit: lmao, it's for running your OS on, not for the actual music, which can be stored somewhere else apparently.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 2, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

There is probably a lot of opportunity in buying up a bunch of obscure computer hardware components, then talking them up on various audiophile forums while making overpriced listings on ebay

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Forums are great because there's a good chance most to all the "wow this is amazing" posters are just the guy who made it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Audiophile Style was originally Computer Audiophile. Somehow that makes it funnier to me.

Also someone needs to get to work on audiophile RAM to go with this.

As an aside, it annoys the hell out of me that the owner of Audiophile Style is an occasional guest on The Next Track podcast, which I genuinely enjoy. But every time he’s on they get into crap about speaker cables and other garbage, and it sucks.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

polyester concept posted:

There is probably a lot of opportunity in buying up a bunch of obscure computer hardware components, then talking them up on various audiophile forums while making overpriced listings on ebay

Apparently you just have to hot glue some gold capacitors on the board.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Neurophonic posted:

Apparently you just have to hot glue some gold capacitors on the board.
Guys, GUYS:

Tube SSD :pcgaming:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Running the NAND cells in SLC mode (or pseudo-SLC, which might or might not be some firmware fuckery tripling bits when writing and decimating them on read) makes things sound differently for reasons.

quote:

TLC mode: It sounds like background music, no features and powerless, everything is flattened, lacks extension and density.

pSLC mode: There is a special natural feeling, it becomes more smooth and calm, the thickness is slightly increased, and overall it is more resistant to hearing but still slightly dry.
What in the gently caress is it with these audiophile douchenozzles not understanding digital audio and PCM coding.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Because they're stuck in an analog mindset, where tweaks did often make an audible difference. Either that or they're trying to fleece people with those beliefs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You need to buy the most expensive things to show off how wealthy you are, but because you're better than everyone else and not a rube these expensive things also need to be better than what anyone less wealthy has.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Completely non-sequitur but I remember as a child a brand new tape being loving amazing to listen to, and then CD's sounded like a brand new tape EVERY TIME

... if I held the CD player still in the passengers seat.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Wasabi the J posted:

Completely non-sequitur but I remember as a child a brand new tape being loving amazing to listen to, and then CD's sounded like a brand new tape EVERY TIME

... if I held the CD player still in the passengers seat.

I went into my parents' wood shop and built a wood frame about 1" bigger than my portable CD player in every dimension, then strung rubber bands that held the CD player in suspension in the middle. Worked great as a shock absorber if I set the whole contraption in the middle of the passenger seat or footwell. That was a first gen Sony Discman with zero skip buffer, and it worked better than the next unit I got that allegedly had skip protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I went into my parents' wood shop and built a wood frame about 1" bigger than my portable CD player in every dimension, then strung rubber bands that held the CD player in suspension in the middle. Worked great as a shock absorber if I set the whole contraption in the middle of the passenger seat or footwell. That was a first gen Sony Discman with zero skip buffer, and it worked better than the next unit I got that allegedly had skip protection.

This is technically not 90s poo poo (2001-2003) but I remember those late generation SONY Discmen that were rather ovoid and had crazy skip protection that felt like the future

They came in black, red, white, yellow, and eventually evolved into a bunch of other models and colors too before the iPod/MP3 juggernaut claimed them.

Didn’t they have something like 90 seconds of anti-skip? They were unflappable. I got one for Christmas in middle school right before we took a big road trip to FL from CT and proceeded to use that thing into the loving ground, taking it loving everywhere. I eventually had scotch tape holding the battery door in place. I still used it in school for like the first year I had an iPod (2004-2005) because my parents were scared the latter would get stolen or broken

Being an elementary schooler, I was p much exclusively a cassette deck child in the 90s until I got my first bedroom stereo in 1999.