Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You should have the red statue drip lava all over the place

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

watho posted:

not using cool pets because others have better gameplay effects is lame

oh so instead choose to not use them for that reason lol

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

watho posted:

i like the town system a lot in principle but man does it suck trying to keep a desert from becoming corrupted. poo poo spreads through sand like mold in bread

you could just hallow it first, being a town keeps monsters from spawning, and people are happy to be there

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Khanstant posted:

oh so instead choose to not use them for that reason lol

what?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I actually built floating villages in artificial biomes spread around the map for my first 1.4 world, which was pretty fun to set up. It provides the bonus of being effortless to secure from evil/good corruption.

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Haven’t played in a while, ever since 1.4 hit and I finished it (as much as it can ever be finished at least, was proud of my stardust pyramid house thanks to Journey mode)
Barely touched mods but have tmodloader, is Thorium + Spirit a good idea? Someone recommended me Calamity as well but I didn’t really have a good time in regular expert mode, and apparently the true mod experience is expert-only, which seems to be confirmed by many items being listed as expert only when you start; is this true?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’ve played quite a bit with Thorium+Spirit. The equipment spiritmod adds is occasionally a bit overtuned compared to Thorium. Wasn’t an issue on expert difficulty but it might trivialize some boss fights on lower difficulties. They are both pretty polished and add some cool poo poo. And spirit has some excellent music.

It is a LOT of poo poo that’s added though, get some piggy banks ASAP and the storage mod as well so you aren’t constantly playing inventory Tetris.

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

I’ve played quite a bit with Thorium+Spirit. The equipment spiritmod adds is occasionally a bit overtuned compared to Thorium. Wasn’t an issue on expert difficulty but it might trivialize some boss fights on lower difficulties. They are both pretty polished and add some cool poo poo. And spirit has some excellent music.

It is a LOT of poo poo that’s added though, get some piggy banks ASAP and the storage mod as well so you aren’t constantly playing inventory Tetris.

Good to know! Will look into that other mod, previous playthrough had a house that ended up being nothing but chests

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

IMO calamity is great but absolutely should not be played without both Recipe Browser and Magic Storage because of the sheer volume of stuff it adds.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that’s my main/only complaint about calamity, the amount of new materials and poo poo is so much it’s a pain to keep track of all your stuff even with magic storage, recipe browser, etc.

got a new material from a boss, what can I craft with this? oh only like a trillion things

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

In the new update they've also added per-boss loot swap tokens so you get a weapon and "oh it's a material, can I combine this into something else later? better peer at recipe browser and see if any of these items are buffer rather than just a different kind of weapon"

Also: I hate the demons holding guide voodoo dolls because I got chucked into hard mode before I was ready because of one dying too far away from me.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Zereth posted:

Also: I hate the demons holding guide voodoo dolls because I got chucked into hard mode before I was ready because of one dying too far away from me.

I mean, you beat the wall of flesh, sounds like you were ready to me!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah if you can kill the WoF while surprised and not ready and without a prepared runway you were already more than powerful enough for hard mode.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they mean emotionally ready

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

FrenchBen posted:

Haven’t played in a while, ever since 1.4 hit and I finished it (as much as it can ever be finished at least, was proud of my stardust pyramid house thanks to Journey mode)
Barely touched mods but have tmodloader, is Thorium + Spirit a good idea? Someone recommended me Calamity as well but I didn’t really have a good time in regular expert mode, and apparently the true mod experience is expert-only, which seems to be confirmed by many items being listed as expert only when you start; is this true?

I'm playing it now in Expert and enjoying even as someone who doesn't like vanilla Expert. Like many other mods it ups the power level on gear significantly, which makes the normal enemies far less threatening (which is the worst part of early Expert imo) while keeping the bosses a challenge. You absolutely need at least basic arenas, so if you don't like building them you can probably give it a pass.

I also tried Revengeance, the "true" difficulty mode, and absolutely hated it. The main gimmick is you build up two bars, one that only rises when you don't get hit (which seems insane for Terraria controls) and one that rises whenever enemies are near and gives a massive damage boost when full. Bosses are also amped up with bloated health and new mechanics, and at least for me it made all the bosses feel like garbage "invincible except for a certain damage window" fights because it's all about going ham during the damage boost. I am bad at games however, so YMMV.

Thankfully the Revengeance items only seem to affect the Revengeance damage boost so I turned it off and am missing nothing. You definitely want the expert items though. For instance, the first one you get is a permanent water breathing accessory which is important because there are multiple underwater biomes in the mod, including a very lucrative early area.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Calamity is way, way harder than normal Terraria in general, but in Calamity terms Expert is basically normal. Revengeance is functionally Expert, and Death is functionally Master.

Revengeance(and Death) generally demands you fight bosses in pre-prepared arenas with buffs and be willing to spend time learning boss patterns. It generally gets a lot more fun as your mobility options open up and consistent dodging becomes more feasible - when you get good enough to actually trigger Adrenaline(which requires 30 seconds of not taking a hit, and afaik is feasible on every boss in the game with the right prep work and movement), you get this glorious boss-melting blast of damage that tears off half their lifebar and feels simply amazing.

You can absolutely beat all the bosses in the mod on Revengeance up until maybe the last few without ever triggering Adrenaline; for a lot of my first playthrough I basically got shitblasted by every boss for most of my playthrough and still managed to muddle my way through because the other bar, Rage mode, fills when you take damage or are near enemies so if you're getting owned in a boss fight it's full constantly. It's a much smaller damage boost, but it lasts longer and is up a lot more so it really adds up.

If you're not interested in spending time prepping arenas and dying to bosses a fair bit until you learn how to deal with their poo poo, Expert is 100% fine because as stated the Revengeance items mostly interact with the Revengeance mechanics, bar a couple of mounts.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Augus posted:

they mean emotionally ready
:hmmyes: I wanted to clean up some normal mode bosses first!

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

It's a work in progress, but I'm digging the spiral stairs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Mad Dragon posted:

It's a work in progress, but I'm digging the spiral stairs.

Now this is cool.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Do you guys think I may have overbuilt my Wall of Flesh arena? He died at the player icon starting from the right...

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Do you guys think I may have overbuilt my Wall of Flesh arena? He died at the player icon starting from the right...

Same. It still was handy for getting around down there though and never having to worry about falling into lava while fighting all the poo poo down there.

Is the winter event still a thing that happens? I have an achievement to knock out...

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
You can craft items to spawn all the seasonal events anytime.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

boxen posted:

Same. It still was handy for getting around down there though and never having to worry about falling into lava while fighting all the poo poo down there.

Is the winter event still a thing that happens? I have an achievement to knock out...

I assume you're talking about the Frost Legion summon from xmas presents that drop during the holiday season.

Christmas starts in-game on the 1st of December every year. If you don't want to wait a week, you can get the post-plantera Naughty Present and summon a Frost Moon.
Every time you get to wave 15 of the Frost Moon, you get one in-game day of xmas the following day, independent of real world seasons.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
The Naughty Present! I knew there was a way to start it outside of December but I couldn't remember, and I didn't see a reference to it in some quick googling last night. Couldn't remember what the thing was called, and didn't have time to really look into it.

Thanks!

Edit: I also had the Frost Moon and Frost Legion events mixed up, but I got it figured out.

boxen fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 25, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

You can never have enough rad minecart tracks.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

What's the best way to get and import awesome player-made houses into my world? I want cool places for me and my NPCs to live, and to be able to show my daughter cool things when we play, but I just don't have the imagination to even come up with the plans in the first place.

I figured I could find some player made houses, download them, and then maybe drop them into my world (with some tweaking) in tEdit, but I'm sort of getting stuck on the first step. Anyone know some of those amazing youtube Terrarians who create fantastic creations (like Khaios) but then provide the save file for download?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Excellent! You have satisfied all of the first part of my requirements!

:smith:

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

null_pointer posted:

Excellent! You have satisfied all of the first part of my requirements!

:smith:

Sorry, I just think these are cool. I have no idea how to import specific chunks of a map to another.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think tEdit will let you load one map, copy a segment, load another, and then paste it in.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

IIRC I think it was...HeroMod? that had a function that literally let you copy snapshots of the map in-game and paste them in-game as much as you wanted. I remember using it a lot during a calamity playthrough because I got tired of manually replicating my arena construction and also didn't feel like carving out a giant arena in the dungeon to fight Polterghast.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
The cathedral is stunning! I just wish the game rewarded that type of building. I'm always impressed when I see these but have no desire to have one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think tEdit will let you load one map, copy a segment, load another, and then paste it in.

yeah iirc it’s basically just highlight, ctrl+c, ctrl+v
I used it when I was too lazy to build a hell bridge manually

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 28, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
And the most recent version of tEdit has a clipboard panel where you can select which snip you want to paste in, it's great.

I've downloaded things from curseforge before, they have a fair few things that people have uploaded.

https://www.curseforge.com/terraria/maps/fortresses-living-quarters

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Yup! tEdit plus a map on curseforge allowed me to pick them apart into schematics (basically plop-able sections of maps) and then jury-rig them into my current world. I managed to grab a bunch of houses for a bunch of different biomes which are really nice, especially given how bad much of the stuff on curseforge is. I wish I had the mind to come up with this stuff on my own, but my brain can only really imitate stuff, and not originate it.

Anyway, thank you for pointing me in the right directions, goons. If anyone finds any nice, small-scale (i.e. 2-4 NPCs) houses, out there, please post links in here, whenever.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

The guide.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Can NPCs live in the space layer? Will they keep Wyverns and probes out?

Wall of Flesh, themed after the evil force in the current world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
I've built a sky base before, and usually having enough NPCs there keeps enemies like wyverns from spawning.

However, if a blood moon or another event like that happens, you could end up with wyverns spawning in your base in hardmode.