Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

goferchan posted:

If I wanna go full Heavily Modded Isaac, what out there is good? Recently discovered the Sewing Machine mod and it's pretty cool -- it adds a new object that can appear in rooms that can permanently upgrade your familiars in unique ways. Like Lil' Monstro gets a chance to do a tooth shot, Papa Fly occasionally spawns little spectral turret flies in his path, etc.

Here's a list of all the mods I use, with a short description. My biggest recommendations depend on how "cheaty" you're willing to go with your mods. That is to say, how much are you willing to accept in terms of a mod having an effect on gameplay that may give you an advantage compared to someone without the mod? Personally I am of the mind that if it makes the game more fun then it's fine regardless of the effect it has on difficulty, but a lot of the game's fun comes from its difficulty so few mods that noticeably reduce it will be worth using. That being said, I've sorted these into three categories of gameplay-impact to help you pick ones that suit your tastes.

Major Gameplay Impact
GoodTrip - Implements a fast travel system for rooms you've already visited. This one is cheaty in a variety of small ways. It makes it easier to get rush and Hush by cutting out time spent traversing cleared rooms. It vastly reduces the threat posed by obstacles in already-explored rooms. It allows you to get from one room to another when you haven't actually found a path between them, e.g. if you teleported from one side to the map to the other. It takes Dark Esau a little bit to catch up with you after you fast travel. All that being said, it is SO loving AWESOME to not have to go back and forth through empty rooms. I was hesitant to try it for a long time, but it has vastly improved the game experience for me.
No Curses - Removes curses from the game. This one is straight up cheating but, well, I just don't like them and find the game more fun without them. Plus I pay the price whenever I see the Black Candle which is an absolute dud with this mod. Does not affect the challenges that revolve around curses.

Minor Gameplay Impact
Angel Shop Beggar Fix - The angel shops created by The Stairway have a beggar which is placed way too close to the entrance. This moves the beggar further away, preventing accidental donations.
Beast Fight Falling Spike More Visible - Retextures the stalactites that fall from the ceiling during the Beast fight to be more visually distinct from those that do not fall.
Boss Rush Wave Counter - Adds a wave counter to the HUD during the Boss Rush.
Clover Lucky Penny - Retextures the lucky penny to be dark green with a clover symbol.
Coming Down: Stomps - Adds an indicator that signals where an incoming stomp attack is going to land. Useful if you play with sound turned down or are deaf/HoH but also makes them considerably more telegraphed. Also looks super cool.
Clearer Hidden Enemies - Causes enemies which burrow underground to emit dirt particles while they're down there, so you can predict where they'll pop up next. I think this one might be broken since Repentance.
Dream Catcher Reminder - Puts a big fat reminder below the level exit when you're holding the Dream Catcher, so you don't skip the prophetic dream.
Lump Fix - Changes the Lump's quick attack to have a short animation before firing, giving you some time to get a hit in.
Tarot Cloth+ - Adds Tarot Cloth effects to the 16(!!!) tarot cards that are not affected by it.
Visual Tells - Causes a message to appear on screen when a mom/skeletal hand is in the room or when the Dog Tooth sound effect happens. Those are the two big things you lose out on when you play with the sound off, or are deaf/HoH. Really should be part of the base game imo.
Zodiac Indicator - When you have the Zodiac item, adds a little indicator under the map to tell you which effect is active for the floor.

No Gameplay Impact
Better Boss Bar - Retextures the boss health bar.
Better Health - Retextures hearts, both the pickups and the UI element.
Better Vomit Grimace Sprite - Retextures the Vomit Grimace.
Custom Mr Dollys - Adds a different Mr. Dolly texture for every character.
External Item Descriptions - When you are near an item, displays a message to indicate what the item does. This is the best mod for this game. If you have a single mod installed, it should be this one.
Extra-Scared Scared Hearts - Gives Scared Hearts unique sprites for when they're running away from you.
Eyeguy's Extra NPCs - Adds more shopkeeper appearances, for a little extra variety.
Missing Costumes - Makes it so items that change character appearances don't overwrite a character's unique features so often. Look at the picture on the workshop page and that'll give you a good idea of what the mod does.
MVP: Medication Variety Pack - Retextures pills.
Planetarium Chance - Adds a planetarium chance indicator to the HUD, beneath the angel room chance indicator.
Unique Spirit Swords: Xtrike's Take - Adds a different Spirit Sword texture for every character.
Visible Lost Health - Adds a health bar for the lost that indicates how many hits you can take due to mantle effects. I think this got added to the base game, then removed again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

goferchan posted:

If I wanna go full Heavily Modded Isaac, what out there is good? Recently discovered the Sewing Machine mod and it's pretty cool -- it adds a new object that can appear in rooms that can permanently upgrade your familiars in unique ways. Like Lil' Monstro gets a chance to do a tooth shot, Papa Fly occasionally spawns little spectral turret flies in his path, etc.

This is a small one, but I've been enjoying the sewage collection. It adds a handful of new items, plus a new card and trinket that adds an interesting reflection mechanic to item pedestals. The items feel balanced to Repentance, so none of them are gamebreakingly good or completely worthless, they're just nice to find in item rooms.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Thank you both! Ariong, I was going insane trying to find Good Trip on the workshop yesterday; I've seen it mentioned here but didn't remember the name and none of the search terms I tried would pull it up. Sewage Collection also sounds just like what I'm looking for-- there's another one called Quarry Collection (maybe the same guy?) with a few rock-themed items, none of which are OP but have some cool effects I could easily see fitting into the game and I like that one as well.

Also the soundtrack mods work great now and have a ton of customizablity. Right now I have each song getting randomized per-run to the Flash, Rebirth, Antibirth, or Repentance soundtracks in addition to a curated set of songs from Lisa: The Painful. Nice way to switch things up and the Lisa songs work great.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 28, 2021

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've played Isaac for a fair while and never been able to understand. What's the fun/point/advantage of blue baby?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Sad Panda posted:

I've played Isaac for a fair while and never been able to understand. What's the fun/point/advantage of blue baby?

Blue Baby is basically an oddity from flash Isaac. It was originally the final character unlocked in the base game, but he was a challenge character. Soul Hearts were a lot harder to come by back then so living through stuff was a challenge of its own. Basically a less extreme version of The Lost.

Nowadays with soul heart generation ramped up (even with Repentance's nerfs), that quite a few other characters already have the gimmick of "can't use red health", and that there are quite a few more challenge characters, yeah Blue Baby is kind of one of the less distinctive characters in the game. He's just kind of a weird oddity now.

Pretty telling that the tainted version just took the poop theme and ran with it and basically gave him a trading card discard and draw mechanic cause there was basically nothing else to work with.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Everything Araxxor said is true, but another thing about Blue Baby is that you always have max angel/devil room chance. That’s a big deal, used to be an even bigger deal way back when. Plus The Poop is a decent item if you know how to use it, so getting that for free is nice.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Ariong posted:

Everything Araxxor said is true, but another thing about Blue Baby is that you always have max angel/devil room chance. That’s a big deal, used to be an even bigger deal way back when. Plus The Poop is a decent item if you know how to use it, so getting that for free is nice.

please tell me how to use the poop

Best I can do is... bomb it near a pit to get over the pit?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

John Lee posted:

please tell me how to use the poop

Best I can do is... bomb it near a pit to get over the pit?

It's really good for blocking charging bosses or enemies. It also combos really well with things like petrified poop

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
you get lucky and get midas touch and it makes gold poopies

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I wish Blue Baby had the Keeper thing that makes red hearts turn into blue flies.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Petrified poop is a decently common trinket and is a pro pick for blue baby. So is the trinket that spawns blue flies for destroying poops.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

If anyone is interested in content mods, I'm super impressed with the Job add-on. It adds a whole new character, including tainted version, and new items for all associated completion mark unlocks. The normal version of Job is a slightly OP but fun character with a negative multiplier to attack but a high tears stat, with no tears cap (although there do seem to be diminishing returns as you increase it). The tainted version has a really interesting gimmick where all item pedestals are doubled (with two different items, not the same one), but at the start of each new floor a demonic hand grabs you and takes away roughly 40% of your items at random. You have a "pocket" active that you can use to permanently secure an item and keep it from being taken for the rest of the run, but it recharges very slowly and adds a broken heart each time you use it. It makes for some cool runs where you get big power spikes but then have to readjust your gameplan at the start of each floor based on which items are stolen. Haven't gotten too many of their unlocks yet but so far the ones I've seen are of an appropriate power level and have some interesting effects.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DoubleNegative posted:

Petrified poop is a decently common trinket and is a pro pick for blue baby. So is the trinket that spawns blue flies for destroying poops.

Apple of Sodom is a cool one too for Blue Baby/Lost. Basically gets you the keeper effect but with a shitload of spiders instead of flies.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wow I finally got my first mega satan kill, long after I have killed hush and delirium multiple times :shepface:

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

goferchan posted:

Apple of Sodom is a cool one too for Blue Baby/Lost. Basically gets you the keeper effect but with a shitload of spiders instead of flies.

Apple of Sodom is one of my favorite new items, very helpful for someone with lots of soul heats.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Apple of Sodom is a 'real' mythological fruit that turns to ash in your mouth when you bite into it.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
Sodom sodom no pistol!!!

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

The Apple of Sodom is a 'real' mythological fruit that turns to ash in your mouth when you bite into it.

Red Dels?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

patch dropped

mostly bugfixes I think, but still a decent amount of gameplay changes

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/250900/view/3126057906310322306

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Notably

quote:

- Echo Chamber now only copies the last 3 cards/pills used

RIP

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I can't say I'm too mad about that one, because eventually it basically led to a guaranteed game crash if you went overboard, or depending on the effects you picked up, were kind of annoying. A bad pill in that rotation could basically lock you out of consumables. RIP to the fun breaking runs though.

quote:

- The D1 no longer creates exact copies of pickups (i.e. duplicating a card may spawn a different card)

This on the other hand, loving RIP.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 4, 2021

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Araxxor posted:

I can't say I'm too mad about that one, because eventually it basically led to a guaranteed game crash if you went overboard, or depending on the effects you picked up, were kind of annoying. A bad pill in that rotation could basically lock you out of consumables. RIP to the fun breaking runs though.

This on the other hand, loving RIP.

At least this means that the D1 can spawn like a dime out of a penny

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Do any of y'all play Isaac across machines via Steam cloud saves? (E.g., a PC and a laptop.) I've been burned by Steam saves in the past with other games, and I was too paranoid about it last night to go through with booting the game on my laptop. Wondering if it's worked well for others.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I really hate playing with Jacob/Esau, so i barely have any of the postit done but I really want to unlock birthright ugh

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The Fattest PI posted:

I really hate playing with Jacob/Esau, so i barely have any of the postit done but I really want to unlock birthright ugh

I'm in the same position. I just think the gimmick is more of a headache than a fun challenge.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
been playing a ton (for me) since switch release and am only today touching jacob. using items will take some getting used to. Should I ever hold esau in combat or just try and move together?
side note I got the secret challenge and my second item was an active that crashed to main menu

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Brosnan posted:

Do any of y'all play Isaac across machines via Steam cloud saves? (E.g., a PC and a laptop.) I've been burned by Steam saves in the past with other games, and I was too paranoid about it last night to go through with booting the game on my laptop. Wondering if it's worked well for others.

I tried to do that and I don't recomend it I'm afraid.

Its only useful for downloading your save to a brand new machine, the saves won't sync like you're hoping. Everytime it tried to download the newest save from
the cloud I'd lose progress. I eventually just turned it off completely.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
After complaining about getting birthright with Jacob and Esau I immediately have a successful run and get it. Died on megasatan though, just so much poo poo to keep track of I was taking damage nonstop when the adds spawn and couldn't stop it. I'm guessing it was some hidden creep but it was a death sentence

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mr Phillby posted:

I tried to do that and I don't recomend it I'm afraid.

Its only useful for downloading your save to a brand new machine, the saves won't sync like you're hoping. Everytime it tried to download the newest save from
the cloud I'd lose progress. I eventually just turned it off completely.

Huh, I never had any issues with it and used to use it a lot. Worth noting it will not work though if you're using mods with built-in unlocks/progression like the Job one I linked earlier because I believe that progress is stored within the mod files themselves and not your normal saves

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Trying to find the missing poster to unlock The Lost... It's much harder than I was expecting

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Only Jacob & Esau runs I get anywhere is the ones I get flight early. Otherwise one of them gets stuck and dies eventually

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Brosnan posted:

If you don't have Dead God or is trying to fill out save 2/3, you can always open the "secrets" menu and press F2 to sync your save file to your steam achievements. It won't carry over Eden tokens or item collection progress however.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I've always been dogshit at spotting tinted rocks after the first couple levels so I installed a mod to make them stand out a tiny bit more and in the whole run I ended up only finding a couple haha

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Psychedelicatessen posted:

If you don't have Dead God or is trying to fill out save 2/3, you can always open the "secrets" menu and press F2 to sync your save file to your steam achievements. It won't carry over Eden tokens or item collection progress however.

Didn't know about that. I guess my biggest concern is causing some conflict that results in my most complete file being overwritten by a less complete one. I don't have Dead God and at the moment I'm mostly just trying to fill out completion marks.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

To be honest with you, I never expected to play this mode enough to ever unlock this mode, but here we are

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
in the last week ive gotten to the beast like 7 times with t jacob and i *always* get snagged by esau and die on death or the beast itself. I'm getting pretty tired of this

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nyoro posted:

To be honest with you, I never expected to play this mode enough to ever unlock this mode, but here we are

I honestly think greed mode is really clever and fun, and getting those runs done feels like way less of a chore than finishing all the challenges did, or killing Beast or Delirium or whatever.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
jesus loving christ i finally did it. esau jr isnt worth this headache.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The Fattest PI posted:

I've always been dogshit at spotting tinted rocks after the first couple levels so I installed a mod to make them stand out a tiny bit more and in the whole run I ended up only finding a couple haha

Womb especially sucks for this imo since one of the standard rocks has an X on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Music opinion, Living In The Light should play during the Beast fight too since it has pretty good loop energy and length and would be more fun to listen to for how long that fight goes