Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think a better way of putting is that Jimmi Hendrix needs to pick up his dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

multijoe posted:

It undermines the very sad and affecting ending for some cheap fanservice, so I'd have to say no

im mixed on this because the lars thing was very integral to the plot, and having a dog wait 12 years outside of a pizza place is unrealistically cruel more than affecting. the original swings really hard in the other direction.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Data Graham posted:

Somehow I feel like if they did new stuff it would suck and we'd be like "they should stick to the familiar stuff that they know works"

I meant like a new show with new characters instead of season 50 of the dimpos

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 3, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
to be fair, Disenchantment also sucks in almost exactly the same way as the Simpsons

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

bus hustler posted:

im mixed on this because the lars thing was very integral to the plot, and having a dog wait 12 years outside of a pizza place is unrealistically cruel more than affecting. the original swings really hard in the other direction.

Wait, unrealistically? Hachi famously waited for his master at a train station for 9 years and I hear about dogs waiting on graves from time to time. It's definitely a thing. A terribly sad and beautiful thing, but a real one.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

the reason that scene is sad (aside from the obvious reasons) is that fry's dog waiting for him until he dies completely undermines the reason why fry said he didn't want to revive him: because he thought he lived a happy independent life. instead, he just stood by the same stop for the rest of his life hoping his master would come back.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 3, 2021

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

to be fair, Disenchantment also sucks in almost exactly the same way as the Simpsons

I'd say there's a difference in the ways that they suck. Simpsons was once very good and has since had years and years and years of being bad. Disenchantment meanwhile has never been good.

It's actually almost impressive the way that it manages to keep wasting any kind potential that it has.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 3, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr Interweb posted:

the reason that scene is bad (aside from the obvious reasons) is that fry's dog waiting for him until he dies completely undermines the reason why fry said he didn't want to revive him: because he thought he lived a happy independent life. instead, he just stood by the same stop for the rest of his life hoping his master would come back.

That's the reason the scene is something all right, but I don't think "bad" is the word

It's an all-timer of dark existential jokes

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Data Graham posted:

That's the reason the scene is something all right, but I don't think "bad" is the word

It's an all-timer of dark existential jokes

whoops, i meant to write 'sad'

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I'd say there's a difference in the ways that they suck. Simpsons was once very good and has since had years and years and years of being bad. Disenchantment meanwhile has never been good.

It's actually almost impressive the way that it manages to keep wasting any kind potential that it has.

The only thing I remember about Disenchantment is being irritated in that giantess episode where Elfo made up a girlfriend. He already thought he was dating Kissy, but I guess he just forgot about her for one episode?

It's like Lisa being teased for not having any siblings, so she makes up Mart and Mmaggie.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Das Boo posted:

The only thing I remember about Disenchantment is being irritated in that giantess episode where Elfo made up a girlfriend. He already thought he was dating Kissy, but I guess he just forgot about her for one episode?

It's like Lisa being teased for not having any siblings, so she makes up Mart and Mmaggie.

Disenchantment is a very forgettable show. I remember laughing a few times at a couple of episodes, but I can't for the life of me remember why.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I enjoyed Luci being a cat, but I enjoy most things being a cat.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

sweet geek swag posted:

Disenchantment is a very forgettable show. I remember laughing a few times at a couple of episodes, but I can't for the life of me remember why.

john dimaggio is pretty funny in it. thats about it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: i don't remember the plot of the futurama movie

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 3, 2021

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The only things I remember about the Futurama movies are Leela & Amy turning into centaurs for some reason and the trinity's going to war song

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

He's one of the best voice actors out there. Let's spend the entire 3rd season having him too traumatized to do anything more than babble incoherently

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

I saw him at a con on a voice actor panel and he was fantastic, he sang the Bender song complete with enthusiastic arm motions and kept moving but went silent at the moment Bender was muted. Same panel also had Rob Paulsen sing an updated version of Nations of the World that included South Sudan. Very good panel.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

He's one of the best voice actors out there. Let's spend the entire 3rd season having him too traumatized to do anything more than babble incoherently

Seems like a good point in time to make a cartoonish plot about mental illness. Though nobody seems to be watching so there isn't really controversy.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
DiMaggio was also fantastic as steve ballmer in pirates of silicon valley

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Was rewatching Princess Mononoke the other day and was surprised to hear DiMaggio as Lady Eboshi's bodyguard.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

His finest role is Captain Laserbeam imo
E: especially the one with Clancy Brown as Shape Ape

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

hot take incoming...

i'm not the biggest fan of john dimaggio. now, don't get me wrong. i love him voicing bender, but the guy doesn't seem to have much range, imo. and granted, that's FINE, but it seems after futurama he was appearing in pretty much everything under the sun. i mean, he voiced toy man in that superman: doomsday movie in the late 00s.

he's like the male equivalent of grey delise after she became vicky from fairly oddparents

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh poo poo how did i never connect Bender and Jake the Dog
I guess i just never thought futurama was actually that good and time is only on my side

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Classic Futurama is only second to classic Simpsons imo, another show that's aged like fine wine

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

YeahTubaMike posted:

The only things I remember about the Futurama movies are Leela & Amy turning into centaurs for some reason and the trinity's going to war song

I love Futurama up to and including the movies but yeah Bender's Game was atrociously bad.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

multijoe posted:

Classic Futurama is only second to classic Simpsons imo, another show that's aged like fine wine

Classic Futurama has a bit more Boomer Humor than I remembered. I did a rewatch of it all right at the beginning of quarantine and even the first seasons were obviously written by older dudes.

I’ll turn in my gangtag.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just about finished watching the five seasons of Teen Titans Go! on Netflix (I'm assuming the newer seasons will end up there as well eventually). Interesting series. I liked the recurrent absurdism and satire, and its general attitude, but I also found myself really disliking the episodes that focused too much on humiliating Robin. I don't know, I just don't think that's funny on a conceptual level. Sometimes it gets almost uncomfortable.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
This morning I dreamed an episode in which for some reason Lisa thought she should be into NASCAR, so she was forcing herself to watch and attend races she clearly hated, until she was freed when a Google algorithm analyzed her social media accounts and revealed that she was actually a good person, at which point I woke up mad.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Emrikol posted:

This morning I dreamed an episode in which for some reason Lisa thought she should be into MASCAR, so she was forcing herself to watch and attend races she clearly hated, until she was freed when a Moogle algorithm analyzed her social media accounts and revealed that she was actually a mood person, at which point I woke up mad.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

The Chad Jihad posted:

45 year old comic book guy was given a 20-something asian cosplaying wife, I am comfortable saying this is the lowest point

are mail-order wifes still a thing?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

are mail-order wifes still a thing?

Probably, except it all occurs over the internet. The only proper outcome to that storyline is comic book guy getting robbed blind and forever swearing off "real" romance in favor of donating to twitch thots.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Just about finished watching the five seasons of Teen Titans Go! on Netflix (I'm assuming the newer seasons will end up there as well eventually). Interesting series. I liked the recurrent absurdism and satire, and its general attitude, but I also found myself really disliking the episodes that focused too much on humiliating Robin. I don't know, I just don't think that's funny on a conceptual level. Sometimes it gets almost uncomfortable.

Eh TTG Robin can be kind of a dick so in most cases the bullying is warranted. The Ren and Stimpy style gross-out close-ups can be a bit much though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kumiko loves Jeff because she's a talented manga artist and he sells western comic books, what part of this doesn't make sense?

Also, I found this under her entry on the Simpsons Wikia:

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

je1 healthcare posted:

Probably, except it all occurs over the internet. The only proper outcome to that storyline is comic book guy getting robbed blind and forever swearing off "real" romance in favor of donating to twitch thots.

He decided he was ready to become a dad, after a wes anderson parody about his early upbringing

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Was it better or worst than the Studio Ghibli parody?

lol they really just put the stock kung fu font on everything and called it a day, huh

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Read the comments on that video. Is Disney censoring negative comments about it? Surely there can’t be that many people who think that Ghibli parody is clever in any way?

Right? :suicide:

Clever means you have to put some effort into it, not just slap Simpsons character #243 into the outfit of whoever they’re parodying and hope you get the reference.

Compare that to Lisa’s dental trip where it’s explicitly a parody of Yellow Submarine, but it’s not actually Yellow Submarine. 35 seconds of brilliance vs. 1 minute 24 seconds of nothingness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wabo2xXTyHQ

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Or you know, The Planet of the Apes Musical. poo poo’s loving dope.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

je1 healthcare posted:

:hai:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

You Are A Elf posted:

Or you know, The Planet of the Apes Musical. poo poo’s loving dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Empty Sandwich posted:

Yeah.

In one of the first episodes, or maybe the first, there's an establishing shot of a magic forest the characters are in, and there's a sign outside. "MAGIC FOREST -- Beware the Racist Unicorn", or something to that effect. And it was a fun joke. What even is a racist unicorn? What is it racist against? What is it doing to make people beware it?

And they couldn't leave it there. Later there's a scene where the characters are sleeping in the forest and we cut to the unicorn going "human women with elves? Now that just ain't right" and ruining the entire joke.

E:

it was a racist antelope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZSm4HHgMPA

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 5, 2021