Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
paper mario 64 is one of the few examples of a perfect video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hatty posted:

Finally, the best Baper Mario

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Looks like at least Paper Mario is hitting N64 Online on the 10th

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1466573124116398091

hey I actually want to play that

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
does this one also have timing based combat like TYD? that might be an issue

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

If the timing difference is consistent it won't really be an issue, just a little different from muscle memory

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I honestly don't have a problem with this; One game at a time means they might've actually learned from the feedback at launch and tailor the emulator properly.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

After Banjo Kazooie I'll be good for 2022 anyway

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
paper mario is also bizarrely difficult to emulate through other means so curious to see how this version turns out

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I honestly don't have a problem with this; One game at a time means they might've actually learned from the feedback at launch and tailor the emulator properly.

Great game! I love Paper Mario. The "oof" was at the fact that it's the only game they're dropping that day. It'll be close to two months after the NSO Expansion dropped and only one new game. The drip feed is gonna be so stretched out.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, I'm sure that's the reason they're releasing old ROMs at a glacial pace, it's so they have time to "tailor the emulator." Just like when the back of the N64 controller definitely had extra buttons or whatever you said.

It's certainly not Nintendo just being Nintendo.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You've played Super Mario,
Have ye smoked vaper Wario?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 22, 2021

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Just got two of these dudes for using on my Wii

This reminds me of using a turbo controller on Legend of Dragoon to spam the damage items to insane levels :black101:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

Yeah I had a TV that had input lag for TTYD when I tried to replay it, and it sucked so much to deal with. Paper Mario is a 30 FPS game and its frame inputs are different from TTYD's so input lag will probably make that annoying as well if there's too much of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yes, I'm sure that's the reason they're releasing old ROMs at a glacial pace, it's so they have time to "tailor the emulator." Just like when the back of the N64 controller definitely had extra buttons or whatever you said.

It's certainly not Nintendo just being Nintendo.

You'll notice the word might in there.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

hatty posted:

Finally, the best Baper Mario

Bathing Aper Mario

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Dark Souls again: just got cursed for no reason (I was hit once by a frog and died even though I had loads of health) in the Depths.

So now I have half life until I get a stone or someone heals me? What a wonderful and confusing mechanic that ensures I have to spend half hour getting out of the dungeon to seek a cure.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Methinks you did not merely get hit once by that frog. Please don't fill this thread with lies

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

If you’re not excited for the Danganronpa games to drop on Switch tomorrow, you should be!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

how is one game at a time a problem

are people going to play paper mario in 10 minutes and then bitch they don't have more free games? the average completion time is 23 hours. enjoy your games!!!!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

man nurse posted:

If you’re not excited for the Danganronpa games to drop on Switch tomorrow, you should be!

Why should I be excited, do they include ProZD's commentary as free DLC?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Takoluka posted:

how is one game at a time a problem

are people going to play paper mario in 10 minutes and then bitch they don't have more free games? the average completion time is 23 hours. enjoy your games!!!!

They're not free games, the service costs an extra $30 a year. Adding only one game after nearly two months of radio silence is a bad value. The original NSO Expansion trailer made it seem like they'd be dropping at least a few games in the next wave. The NES and SNES drops at least gave a few in their initial waves.

But what can I say? Only getting one game every few months is true to the original N64 experience.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Remains to be seen.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Detective No. 27 posted:

They're not free games, the service costs an extra $30 a year. Adding only one game after nearly two months of radio silence is a bad value. The original NSO Expansion trailer made it seem like they'd be dropping at least a few games in the next wave. The NES and SNES drops at least gave a few in their initial waves.

But what can I say? Only getting one game every few months is true to the original N64 experience.

Completely agree. Nintendo has really poo poo the bed with emulated games this generation. Let me buy them again. Nintendo Online's system apps would be cool if they were the complete first party libraries and I essentially got Nintendo Netflix. Instead they do dumb things like still leave Earthbound off the Switch.

Also, give us Wave Race 64 Nintendo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm all for a quality over quantity approach. But it would be a lot better if they let you purchase the games individually rather than the weird rental service approach. Gamepass or PS+ this ain't.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Detective No. 27 posted:

Great game! I love Paper Mario. The "oof" was at the fact that it's the only game they're dropping that day. It'll be close to two months after the NSO Expansion dropped and only one new game. The drip feed is gonna be so stretched out.

1 month 15 days is how long it took to add a new game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Then I take back everything.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Martman posted:

Methinks you did not merely get hit once by that frog. Please don't fill this thread with lies

I swear it's true! They can't even really hit you, they just use poison gas attack

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm all for a quality over quantity approach. But it would be a lot better if they let you purchase the games individually rather than the weird rental service approach. Gamepass or PS+ this ain't.

No, it wouldn't. (Though I fully agree the expansion pass is way overpriced).

The only games that ever sold well under the Virtual Console label on their own were the big Nintendo ones that everyone plays or tries for nostalgia's sake, so there'd be no incentive to try and get titles like Operation Winback on the platform because hardly anyone's going to buy it compared to, say, Mario Kart 64 and whoever owns or develops the hypothetical standalone eShop version loses money on that (and thus have no incentive to put anything else on the service). This has been a known problem since the Virtual Console in the Wii days, and migrating to a service model is the only reason we might see a broader selection than what got onto the Wii and WiiU stores.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Paper Mario is a pretty good game and probably a good pick to offer since it's one of the titles that seems to be a pain in the rear end to faithfully emulate.

That said, I'll just play it on a Wii via an emulator.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Alan_Shore posted:

Dark Souls again: just got cursed for no reason (I was hit once by a frog and died even though I had loads of health) in the Depths.

So now I have half life until I get a stone or someone heals me? What a wonderful and confusing mechanic that ensures I have to spend half hour getting out of the dungeon to seek a cure.

:jiggled:

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 3, 2021

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

beer gas canister posted:

Half HP is not related to curse status

I literally just died and the game told me that I was now cursed and had half health and now have half health

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Dang ol’ Ron Paul

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Yeah I forgot about that curse does it in addition to hollowness lol, time for a trip to Oswald

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, it wouldn't. (Though I fully agree the expansion pass is way overpriced).

The only games that ever sold well under the Virtual Console label on their own were the big Nintendo ones that everyone plays or tries for nostalgia's sake, so there'd be no incentive to try and get titles like Operation Winback on the platform because hardly anyone's going to buy it compared to, say, Mario Kart 64 and whoever owns or develops the hypothetical standalone eShop version loses money on that (and thus have no incentive to put anything else on the service). This has been a known problem since the Virtual Console in the Wii days, and migrating to a service model is the only reason we might see a broader selection than what got onto the Wii and WiiU stores.

I'm not a publisher. I'm not concerned with how well the individual games sell or sold for. As a customer, the Wii Virtual Console approach was a far better experience. The fact is their N64 emulation was better 15 years ago than it is today. Hackers were able to make a better native version of Super Mario 64 than both of the official versions on Switch. Ocarina of Time just got reverse engineered so expect an unofficial Switch port of that pretty soon. I get that Nintendo is a large corporation with it's own goals and a profit motive but it's gotta feel bad to find these small teams doing better work in their spare time.

Also NSO can't even use the memory pack function so it's not like they're doing any favors for stuff like WinBack. That would have been better served with an HD remake or something.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

so that means I should just get a steam deck instead of a switch?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm not a publisher. I'm not concerned with how well the individual games sell or sold for. As a customer, the Wii Virtual Console approach was a far better experience. The fact is their N64 emulation was better 15 years ago than it is today. Hackers were able to make a better native version of Super Mario 64 than both of the official versions on Switch. Ocarina of Time just got reverse engineered so expect an unofficial Switch port of that pretty soon. I get that Nintendo is a large corporation with it's own goals and a profit motive but it's gotta feel bad to find these small teams doing better work in their spare time.

Also NSO can't even use the memory pack function so it's not like they're doing any favors for stuff like WinBack. That would have been better served with an HD remake or something.

You're conflating two entirely different things; The fact that it's a service has no bearing on the quality of it (which is demonstrably inferior to the version of games on older consoles). Making them standalone would still have seen them built the exact same way off a standardized emulator, because they've been doing that since the WiiU eShop releases.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

True, the emulation approach did change with the Wii U. The quality of the emulation dropped across the board for everything on that system. Something must have changed at Nintendo, that was a cursed time and console.

Regardless, it still sucks to pay $30 a year in the hopes that you'll get to play Banjo Kazooie in six months. The drip feed is more bearable when that renewal clock isn't ticking.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
A vague timeline giving some idea of what the year ahead will look like would go a long way tbh. Still thinking about picking it up just for paper Mario tbh

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A chicken in every pot and a Banjo Kazooie on every Switch I say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Paper Mario is the first N64 game to make me actually think about paying up for the expansion pack. I will obviously wait for reviews but I think Shiggy wins again!

Also I'd like to say that I am playing far more pinball on my Switch than I ever thought I would when I bought it. Pinball FX3 is pretty dang good.