Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

freebooter posted:

The reason you are all going into a tizzy about a variant with extremely preliminary data from a country with a 25% vaccination rate is not because Omicron is going to set us back to square one. It is because some of you, for your own inscrutable reasons, want us to be set back to square one.

This is completely false and smearing the intentions of everyone who posts in this thread.

Was I wanting to set the pandemic back to square one when I tried to urge people to say gently caress the rules and get booster shots before the CDC recommended it? I was probated in this thread for doing it. Getting those shots sooner would help people get more immunity sooner and end the pandemic.

Was I wanting to set the pandemic back to square one when I tried to urge people to make and wear masks here in March 2020, even though official CDC guidance was to not buy or wear masks? I caught a sixer for that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That graph is mostly like that because covid/delta cases dropped to the low hundreds and bottomed out to zero cases per day on November 14. It didn’t really compete much, but then it’s a percent graph

How about a comment from the director of CERI in South Africa?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tuliodna/status/1466464655749099534

Oh. He does say "probably" so I guess it's fair to totally ignore it, right?

I've previously posted the graphs from Ridwan earlier roday and you've already disregarded them so no point in amyt of this really..

The mental cope gymnastics in this thread is loving Olympic level poo poo.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 3, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s been a while since the tax was paid.

https://i.imgur.com/5HQKgso.mp4

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
One thing I find a bit interesting is that SA low vaccination rate is not some globalist inequality where the global north is withholding life saving medicine from former colonies.
For a while, supply justv outmatched demand there and the government had to actively delay new imports because the stuff was just laying around and expiring.

Apparently, the South African citizens are really vaccine hesitant.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 3, 2021

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1466116285050273793
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1466430608884871189
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1466501783946244102
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1466545776302170119
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1466562094741045248
Folks don't ignore what is happening right now. Omicron is no longer just a thing in South Africa or abroad to argue about--it is real and it is here and growing in the states. Take appropriate precautions--I suggest wearing high quality N95 or equivalent masks. You can find 3M Aurua 9205+ masks at any Home Depot in the country, they are incredibly effective against omicron and any coronavirus.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I will not be freaking out about omicron or changing my behavior until we have decent data on how it interacts with vaccines. In fairness, that behavior involves avoiding crowded indoor spaces and generally masking up indoors, because I've actually rather liked not having a cold / throat bug / stomach bug for two years.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

cant cook creole bream posted:

One thing I find a bit interesting is that SA low vaccination rate is not some globalist inequality where the global north is withholding life saving medicine from former colonies.
For a while, supply justv outmatched demand there and the government had to actively delay new imports because the stuff was just laying around and expiring.

Apparently, the South African citizens are really vaccine hesitant.
A lot of that is also access issues, black people and rural communities are less hesitant but people simply can't get to the vaccine. A proper global response would mean rich countries help out as well as stop vaccine hoarding, but it won't happen until the West solves COVID for themselves.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

Doomer, heal thyself.

It's really clear that the SA COVID threads attract triple vaxxed shut ins who have nothing better to do all day than post endlessly about their justifications to never, ever feel safe in public ever again.

Meanwhile in the real world, the vast, vast majority of dastardly brunch (gasp!) loving triple vaxxed otherwise healthy <50 year olds are rationally deciding that they can tolerate a new normal.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

MadJackal posted:

It's really clear that the SA COVID threads attract triple vaxxed shut ins who have nothing better to do all day than post endlessly about their justifications to never, ever feel safe in public ever again.

Meanwhile in the real world, the vast, vast majority of dastardly brunch (gasp!) loving triple vaxxed otherwise healthy <50 year olds are rationally deciding that they can tolerate a new normal.

There's a lot of evidence pointing to the idea that repeated covid is dangerous beyond immediate severity and that immune escape is very possible. China has taken the position that this makes zero covid worth pursuing, and I'm not sure why it's automatically insane to agree with them.

E: wait aren't you the guy who was pretending to be a doctor on here?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Wang Commander posted:

There's a lot of evidence pointing to the idea that repeated covid is dangerous beyond immediate severity and that immune escape is very possible.

Can you post that evidence?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

MadJackal posted:

I thought this was the thread to discuss the pandemic and constructive things you can do during it. For example, one great pandemic achievement for some people has been to quit drinking. What do you think, is that something worth doing?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MadJackal posted:

What did you learn over the past week and could you please share it with the SAD sufferers in the house?

MadJackal posted:

Welp, hope everyone got their vaccinated/boosted and maskless indoor dining and entertainment done for the year if this gets detected in the US and it turns out it evades the mRNA vaccines.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Quick timeline question if I may interrupt the forums war.

Monday night, my two boys got their second shots, finally. I'm pretty stoked but that's not the point.

Yesterday I get a call from my older son's school to come pick him up as a close contact. A girl who sits next to him in one class tested positive on Monday (either in-school shield testing or elsewhere; I dunno).

He's been totally fine, nothing remotely on the list of symptoms. But I'm thinking if he got infected on Monday followed by the vaccine later that night, his immune system would be freaking the gently caress out right now, wouldn't it?

Don't get me wrong, we're quarantining through a minimum of a week - getting tested Monday - but I'm thinking he'd be feeling pretty lovely now, right?

How does this poo poo work when you get both vaxxed and exposed on the same day?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Wang Commander posted:

There's a lot of evidence pointing to the idea that repeated covid is dangerous beyond immediate severity and that immune escape is very possible. China has taken the position that this makes zero covid worth pursuing, and I'm not sure why it's automatically insane to agree with them.

E: wait aren't you the guy who was pretending to be a doctor on here?

We aren't China, about half of the US is part conspiratorial death cult, and zero COVID is a fantasy that CSPAMers love to jerk off endlessly to. That's the reality, and I don't know how many years of pointing that out it will take before you figure it out.

And yeah, I'm the actual doctor who treated an actual long-COVID 37 year old guy today who is on dialysis and who actually speaks to probably 6 unvaccinated idiots per day so I know how drat near impossible it will be for COVID to be anything other than endemic at this point.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

MadJackal posted:

How's hospital capacity looking? Seems like a pretty bad new normal to me, an idiot.

I'd also like to not have to quarantine and have my kids miss two weeks of school again as we try to juggle work and child care. Already did it twice this semester! Perhaps we ought to accept the new normal and just end quarantine and isolation protocols? Rationally, of course.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

mod sassinator posted:

I thought this was the thread to discuss the pandemic and constructive things you can do during it. For example, one great pandemic achievement for some people has been to quit drinking. What do you think, is that something worth doing?
I started making cocktails and now I can't stop spending money on 700ml liquor bottles that I use once.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

Quick timeline question if I may interrupt the forums war.

Monday night, my two boys got their second shots, finally. I'm pretty stoked but that's not the point.

Yesterday I get a call from my older son's school to come pick him up as a close contact. A girl who sits next to him in one class tested positive on Monday (either in-school shield testing or elsewhere; I dunno).

He's been totally fine, nothing remotely on the list of symptoms. But I'm thinking if he got infected on Monday followed by the vaccine later that night, his immune system would be freaking the gently caress out right now, wouldn't it?

Don't get me wrong, we're quarantining through a minimum of a week - getting tested Monday - but I'm thinking he'd be feeling pretty lovely now, right?

How does this poo poo work when you get both vaxxed and exposed on the same day?

I got my booster on 11/9. I tested positive after complete loss of smell on 11/11, so I was almost definitely already positive when I got my booster.

Short answer from the doctors I saw was "wow you're our first one in this specific position, we have no real idea."

My symptoms were achy joints, mild chill and mild fatigue the day after the shot, runny nose the morning 48 hours later, no smell at all ~60 hours later. I had very mild asthma like respiratory issues for a few days after that but it never got worse than that.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

brugroffil posted:

Perhaps we ought to accept the new normal and just end quarantine and isolation protocols? Rationally, of course.

They've done that here by defining exposure so tightly it can never happen (3 feet/15m/both unmasked/both unvaxxed) and it's been going great from the perspective of covid is over

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

MadJackal posted:

And yeah, I'm the actual doctor who treated an actual long-COVID 37 year old guy today who is on dialysis and who actually speaks to probably 6 unvaccinated idiots per day so I know how drat near impossible it will be for COVID to be anything other than endemic at this point.

How are you just ok with this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dwarf74 posted:

Nah. You’re reading too much into it. Lots of people experience no side effects from the vaccine, and lots of people experience no symptoms if infected with the virus. Both at once isn’t going to guarantee a reaction, either.

It can create an unfun guessing game if he does start feeling ill, but three days on, if he does get anything, “infection” should definitely be your first guess.

Here’s a slide from Pfizer’s presentation showing lots of kids don’t get many side effects.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

brugroffil posted:

I got my booster on 11/9. I tested positive after complete loss of smell on 11/11, so I was almost definitely already positive when I got my booster.

Short answer from the doctors I saw was "wow you're our first one in this specific position, we have no real idea."

My symptoms were achy joints, mild chill and mild fatigue the day after the shot, runny nose the morning 48 hours later, no smell at all ~60 hours later. I had very mild asthma like respiratory issues for a few days after that but it never got worse than that.
Thanks! We're >48 hours out from the exposure and almost that from dose 2. So while I'm not sure of anything right now I'm feeling pretty okay about it so far. He was half-vaxxed, masking well, and a few feet away.

Glad to hear you recovered, man. Sounds like a bad time.

e:

Platystemon posted:

Nah. You’re reading too much into it. Lots of people experience no side effects from the vaccine, and lots of people experience no symptoms if infected with the virus. Both at once isn’t going to guarantee a reaction, either.

It can create an unfun guessing game if he does start feeling ill, but three days on, if he does get anything, “infection” should definitely be your first guess.

Here’s a slide from Pfizer’s presentation showing lots of kids don’t get many side effects.

Likewise - thanks. Interesting chart there.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 3, 2021

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

MadJackal posted:

We aren't China, about half of the US is part conspiratorial death cult, and zero COVID is a fantasy that CSPAMers love to jerk off endlessly to. That's the reality, and I don't know how many years of pointing that out it will take before you figure it out

Did Japan jerk themselves off into COVID zero it seems? I am genuinely curious how they have gotten here if COVID is as impossible to contain as you say.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Flu is literally hundreds of viruses across two separate biological genuses that is so recombinetic that a part of a totally routine flu infection is the viral swarm in your body evolving to evade your immune system.

Covid 19 has in 2 years made one variant that partially evades immunity. It's no where near the same as the flu.

Aren't coronaviridae notoriously recombinant?

https://twitter.com/EvolveDotZoo/status/1462540308705542149

https://twitter.com/arambaut/status/1372300356709982209

Petey fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 3, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mod sassinator posted:

Did Japan jerk themselves off into COVID zero it seems? I am genuinely curious how they have gotten here if COVID is as impossible to contain as you say.

Just getting cases to drop real low after a big peak isn’t all that hard, it’s a “quitting smoking is easy, I’ve done it a hundred times” type thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

brugroffil posted:

How's hospital capacity looking? Seems like a pretty bad new normal to me, an idiot.

I'd also like to not have to quarantine and have my kids miss two weeks of school again as we try to juggle work and child care. Already did it twice this semester! Perhaps we ought to accept the new normal and just end quarantine and isolation protocols? Rationally, of course.

I only work outpatient now, so I have no idea. I have been keeping an eye on NYC's hospitalization and COVID death numbers pretty closely though, and even with Delta a ~90% vaccinated adult population has been faring surprisingly well.

A guy from my residency does inpatient in North Carolina. A couple months ago he had a census of 29 with a fair number of unvaxxed idiots taking up beds. He said he can't recall an otherwise healthy-ish vaccinated <50 year old on his census.

Schools and quarantines are complicated. Ideally we'd have regular home tests for every single student as a prerequisite for in person attendance and COVID vaccine requirements added to the other dozen or whatever vaccines already necessary to attend school.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

mod sassinator posted:

The chuds won’t like it so we can’t do it -liberals

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Just getting cases to drop real low after a big peak isn’t all that hard, it’s a “quitting smoking is easy, I’ve done it a hundred times” type thing.

10,000 daily cases isn't real low.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

10,000 daily cases isn't real low.

We went from 300,000 a day to 8000 a day with no specific efforts. Japan going from 25,000 a day to 125 today is nice, but roughly the same sort of scale of change.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

NVM

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Wang Commander posted:

How are you just ok with this?

There's a difference between "being ok" with COVID vs spending every day endlessly being Angry on the Internet about wanting to live in an alternative reality where the US is a unified and sane perfectly authoritarian country that has the capacity to get 100% of it's citizens to fall 100% in line to solve COVID.

I am only ok in the sense that I talk to a good 20+ people per day who are often choosing different ways of killing and injuring themselves quickly or slowly, and I've made peace with the fact I can't save everyone. Particularly when they have no interest in saving themselves, particularly when they trust social media conspiracy over their own doctor's advice. All I can do is spend a disproportionally long time on vaccine education during my visits and inevitably be running late, forever, because I want to give every last patient at least a fighting chance to maybe change their minds.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

MadJackal posted:

There's a difference between "being ok" with COVID vs spending every day endlessly being Angry on the Internet about wanting to live in an alternative reality where the US is a unified and sane perfectly authoritarian country that has the capacity to get 100% of it's citizens to fall 100% in line to solve COVID.

I am only ok in the sense that I talk to a good 20+ people per day who are often choosing different ways of killing and injuring themselves quickly or slowly, and I've made peace with the fact I can't save everyone. Particularly when they have no interest in saving themselves, particularly when they trust social media conspiracy over their own doctor's advice. All I can do is spend a disproportionally long time on vaccine education during my visits and inevitably be running late, forever, because I want to give every last patient at least a fighting chance to maybe change their minds.

You know I’d totally get this attitude if you didn’t chastise people for wearing respirators. What’s so wrong with people being careful.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

MadJackal posted:

youre dumb as poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

freebooter posted:

At this point I visit this thread merely to marvel at the doomposting

Reasonable Person posted:

Any future or ongoing deadly pandemic will wash over 80% of the world unabated and kill millions, no enlightenment about public health measures will come to pass, no one will steer this ship, we will crash into every rock, and the will of people desiring that outcome will be so absolute that even discussing measures to prevent these endless holocausts is a sign of insanity and a degradation on democracy. We are praying the old ones playing dice strike 7s and birth a new diseased god right now in these same circumstances, while corona and her children still run amok, so that our pessimistic view of political reality will be lifted aloft an endless pyramid of the dead dying and disfigured.

Stop doomposting and Hail Moloch

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

nexous posted:

The chuds won’t like it so we can’t do it -liberals
It's not about what anyone likes. Nobody who wants to stop the spread of covid gives a poo poo what the chuds like.

It's about what's possible when basically all regulation and enforcement are state and local. For example - national vax mandate or face termination? Well, red states have you covered and will gladly pay you, you patriot, you.

I live in a town with pretty decent mask compliance and a middling vaccination rate. Go ten minutes outside town and I'm surrounded by pro-covid antivax death cultists with 50 miles between me and the next decently large town. In those little 1-3,000-pop towns, the vaccination rate is like 30%, max, and absolutely nobody gives a poo poo. Who's going to enforce it - the antivax sheriff? The "covid is a conspiracy" police chief? Nah, they're just going to capitalize on the feelings of oppression.

And this is a blue state where our governor is mostly trying. (For example, he kicked antimask school districts out of state athletic organizations, which hits them right in the balls. But that's just the vocally defiant ones; go inside the building and it's effectively mask-optional anyways.)

tldr - nobody cares what chuds think, but we're held hostage by what chuds do, and those are the assholes who run our means of local enforcement.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

dwarf74 posted:

It's not about what anyone likes. Nobody who wants to stop the spread of covid gives a poo poo what the chuds like.

It's about what's possible when basically all regulation and enforcement are state and local. For example - national vax mandate or face termination? Well, red states have you covered and will gladly pay you, you patriot, you.

I live in a town with pretty decent mask compliance and a middling vaccination rate. Go ten minutes outside town and I'm surrounded by pro-covid antivax death cultists with 50 miles between me and the next decently large town. In those little 1-3,000-pop towns, the vaccination rate is like 30%, max, and absolutely nobody gives a poo poo. Who's going to enforce it - the antivax sheriff? The "covid is a conspiracy" police chief? Nah, they're just going to capitalize on the feelings of oppression.

And this is a blue state where our governor is mostly trying. (For example, he kicked antimask school districts out of state athletic organizations, which hits them right in the balls. But that's just the vocally defiant ones; go inside the building and it's effectively mask-optional anyways.)

tldr - nobody cares what chuds think, but we're held hostage by what chuds do, and those are the assholes who run our means of local enforcement.

The chuds won’t like it so we can’t do it -dwarf74

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So if the new variant isn't effective against current vaccines, are we really back to square one?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Willo567 posted:

So if the new variant isn't effective against current vaccines, are we really back to square one?

No.

Many things have changed in treatment options, politics, and the virus itself, some for the better, some for the worse.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

No.

Many things have changed in treatment options, politics, and the virus itself, some for the better, some for the worse.

It evades the treatment options if it evades the vaxx

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Wang Commander posted:

Not all, the pills like Pfizer's stop certain protein replication that stop the virus dead from replicating. But they also impact other important replication in your body so you can't take them forever. (and they are expensive and some of the most difficult compounds to manufacture)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Wang Commander posted:

Still not square one. We know to treat patients lying on their stomachs. We know how to make the vaccines just gotta get them approved. We know it’s airborne and not finite transmission. We’re way better off than March 2020, but it’s definitely a step back (if it evades immune response )