Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So this is going to directly kill people, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Alternative twitter clients make it a very different experience. Tweetbot shows me the people I follow, in chronological order, with no additional algorithmic additions and tends not to suck me into a black hole of despair. Maybe just a neutron star of despair? Anyway, when you get to the most recent thing on your timeline you can just close the app, it doesn't demand you spend more time with it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Dabir posted:

So this is going to directly kill people, right?

Yes, through overdoses, withdrawals and violence.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
methadone therapy is one of the most successful treatments ever devised for opioid-etc addiction, goddammit

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

Yes, through overdoses, withdrawals and violence.

Its for people in prison presumably? Does that not alter things?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

That's impressively cruel and pointless (or rather the cruelty is the point) even by Tory standards.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't want to shock you but heroin is something you can get in prison.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Prison, well known for its exceptional medical care and peaceful vibes

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

so you're saying it doesn't alter things?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It'll alter some screws to become temporarily richer and some inmates to become permanently deader.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It would seem the statistics show that you are pretty much exactly about as likely to die of a drug overdose in prison as you are out of prison. So I guess that does support it not altering things.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ales/2008to2016

Whats a bit odd is that you are massively at risk of a drugs overdose in your first fortnight out of prison, which to me doesnt totally tally.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

forkboy84 posted:

I don't want to shock you but heroin is something you can get in prison.

Sure, if you are able to afford the huge markup, have rich parents, or have a friendly gang member who is able to give you a tab in exchange for acting a dealer/courier when you get out.

I don't want to shock you, but the quality of prison heroin, as well as the ability to safely inject isn't that great in prison.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 3, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It would seem the statistics show that you are pretty much exactly about as likely to die of a drug overdose in prison as you are out of prison. So I guess that does support it not altering things.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ales/2008to2016

Whats a bit odd is that you are massively at risk of a drugs overdose in your first fortnight out of prison, which to me doesnt totally tally.

Surely that's a combination of a) recent traumatic experience finally ending, b) being able to use in a much more comfortable environment with easier access and probably higher purity and c) trying to deal with the new traumatic experience of being out and still just as hosed as before.

I know that if I got sent down one of the first things I'd do after getting released would probably be to go on the mother of all benders.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jakabite posted:

Surely that's a combination of a) recent traumatic experience finally ending, b) being able to use in a much more comfortable environment with easier access and probably higher purity and c) trying to deal with the new traumatic experience of being out and still just as hosed as before.

I know that if I got sent down one of the first things I'd do after getting released would probably be to go on the mother of all benders.

I can't argue with any of that. But that does seem to suggest that the being in prison alters the drug taking experience and/or opportunities as I initially enquired about.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Sure, if you are able to afford the huge markup, have rich parents, or have a friendly gang member who is able to give you a tab in exchange for acting a dealer/courier when you get out.

I don't want to shock you, but the quality of prison heroin, as well as the ability to safely inject isn't that great in prison.

Yeah, my point wasn't "this is fine, people can get smack anyway", I'm agreeing with you that this really bad. It doesn't deal with drug abuse or even drug use in prisons, it's just a cruel attempt to force people to go cold turkey.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This will literally kill so many people. Another loving oval office who doesn't understand how opioids change your brain chemistry. Literally the only way is Suboxone and methadone to bring the cravings down slowly. Otherwise your brain goes into "I need opium more than food" mode and welp now your sucking off a fancy prison guard lad for heroin weekly.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, my point wasn't "this is fine, people can get smack anyway", I'm agreeing with you that this really bad. It doesn't deal with drug abuse or even drug use in prisons, it's just a cruel attempt to force people to go cold turkey.

Sorry, yeah, I can see that now. My post was written in anger at the news, not you, and my confusion came from my blocklist and uBlock rules omitting part of the discussion.

I'm still in shock over this. Imagine drawing up policies with the intention of killing as many people as possible? How the gently caress can someone wake up one day and decide to do this? I genuinely don't get it.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 3, 2021

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

This will literally kill so many people. Another loving oval office who doesn't understand how opioids change your brain chemistry. Literally the only way is Suboxone and methadone to bring the cravings down slowly. Otherwise your brain goes into "I need opium more than food" mode and welp now your sucking off a fancy prison guard lad for heroin weekly.

I'm not bothered about the heroin, frankly.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's really rather fascinating how many poorly thought out plans/policies the Tories introduce that seem to boil down to the ministers in question having precisely zero empathy.
It's one of those things that we should study. Maybe there's a brain issue at fault.
Maybe some sort of deep dive into a Tory minister's brain might help uncover the underlying pathology.

Not like an fMRI, though. Nah, just get a craniectomy done and start poking around. I'm sure we'll be able to find something to write up in a paper.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

fuctifino posted:

I'm still in shock over this. Imagine drawing up policies with the intention of killing as many people as possible? How the gently caress can someone wake up one day and decide to do this? I genuinely don't get it.

are you new to tory britain

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

kingturnip posted:

It's really rather fascinating how many poorly thought out plans/policies the Tories introduce that seem to boil down to the ministers in question having precisely zero empathy.
It's one of those things that we should study. Maybe there's a brain issue at fault.
Maybe some sort of deep dive into a Tory minister's brain might help uncover the underlying pathology.

Not like an fMRI, though. Nah, just get a craniectomy done and start poking around. I'm sure we'll be able to find something to write up in a paper.

This is just our drug policy under either party. No interest in harm reduction, purely moralism and spite.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

kingturnip posted:

just get a craniectomy done and start poking around. I'm sure we'll be able to find something
wouldn't be so confident, depends on the minister tbh

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Tolerance can drop off really fast, so a normal dose for one user can suddenly become a fatal one. There's also apparantly a strangely psychological component to heroin tolerance where environment and external stimuli can really alter how you handle things, and again can unexpectedly make a normal dose lethal. It's called conditioned tolerance, exists for other drugs but I think it's more significant for heroin than most, maybe biochemically,but also the ritual of preparing and taking heroin is quite elaborate.

It's just one of many reasons why decriminalisation is the way to go. And also why this plan is going to loving kill people.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Kin posted:

So my other half has just gone into labour and we're gonna be in the hospital from 2 this afternoon going through everything.

Borrovan posted:

My daughter's only 10 weeks old, I'm getting all nostalgic remembering bringing her home now, congratulations mate :3:

:woop: congrats both!
7 weeks here and it's still very weird and exhausting but rewarding

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Borrovan posted:

When I was looking it up ages ago I found a long BBC article that basically described the situation according to various sources, citing the sources so you can look them up, about half of them turned out to be Zenz-adjacent but the rest looked solid

Cba to Google it up but it exists

Thanks, will keep digging. Just getting John Cena Mao edits atm

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

fuctifino posted:

Sorry, yeah, I can see that now. My post was written in anger at the news, not you, and my confusion came from my blocklist and uBlock rules omitting part of the discussion.

they're not people to the tories

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I'd guess the reasoning is something like: "it shouldn't be possible to get drugs in prison, & people should be able to just quit cold turkey, therefore it isn't possible and people will. Oh btw we're not spending any extra money or changing anything, lalalaa can't hear you ought=is"

Kind of thinking you'd expect from average Daily Mail reader, pretty disturbing from Justice Secretary

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They took down all the statues to the famous accomplishments of the Opium Wars and then forgot what happens in history when a decrepit empire blames foreigners and drugs as a cover for their own internal corruption problems. :sad:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
:doh: Whoops, didn't know who Zenz was or that they were quoted in that NYer article. Nonetheless there is some first-hand experience and plenty of other sources that are quoted there; it's not like the piece hinges on the Zenz allegations.

There is this in Al Jazeera, which relies hwavily on an Australian report, albeit one that has scraped public Chinese data

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/10/20/xinjiang-aspi-report-uighurs

And I don't know if Human Rights Watch is considered too Western a source.
https://www.hrw.org/report/2019/05/01/chinas-algorithms-repression/reverse-engineering-xinjiang-police-mass

therattle fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 3, 2021

Oct 4, 2005

Have you tried killing all the poor people?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Voting rights need to be restored to prisoners. Everyone living in the country gets a vote, that's how it works, otherwise it's a sham.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
if you take a moment to think about it it's probably not a good idea to add the mental and physiological turmoil of sudden withdrawal to people who are locked up in a prison

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

if you take a moment to think
Well, there's your problem.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Convex posted:

Voting rights need to be restored to prisoners. Everyone living in the country gets a vote, that's how it works, otherwise it's a sham.

IMO go back to property restrictions. Only let those who earn under £30,000 a year vote

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

crispix posted:

if you take a moment to think about it it's probably not a good idea to add the mental and physiological turmoil of sudden withdrawal to people who are locked up in a prison

I've highlighted the discrepancy between your thinking and the government's

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’m not sure if this will end up going through - I can imagine the prison service kicking off big time if they’re suddenly having to deal with heroin withdrawals on a mass scale

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Convex posted:

I've highlighted the discrepancy between your thinking and the government's

i know but there seemed to be someone in thread struggling

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Remember when Michael Gove wanted to get rid of prison books as well. It's all about the cruelty. 'Rehabilitation' is the public justification and nothing more.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jakabite posted:

I’m not sure if this will end up going through - I can imagine the prison service kicking off big time if they’re suddenly having to deal with heroin withdrawals on a mass scale

That's a good point. I was quite (pleasantly) surprised to see Border Force staff saying they'd refuse to do pushbacks. Maybe Prison Service staff will do the same. This is an even worse policy than depriving prisoners of books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^ my partner's done a whole bunch of research into the psychology of prison wardens that can be summarised as "Basically They're Just Cunts", wishful thinking imo

therattle posted:

And I don't know if Human Rights Watch is considered too Western a source.
imo this is one of those situations where writing off sources as being "too Western" just leads to tankiedom. Very few sources beneath state-level actors even have the means to investigate, and state-level actors have such a vested interest in the issue that they're pretty much gonna dominate the discourse. But what's the alternative, trusting the Chinese state? The key is to recognise the inherent bias in every source, look at the methodology &c, & accept that there is going to be some uncertainty. There's a bunch of iirc publicly accessible information like satellite imagery & first-hand accounts to show that there is definitely a bunch of heinous poo poo going on, but I don't think much more than that can be said with certainty.

crispix posted:

if you take a moment to think about it it's probably not a good idea to ... prison