Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah what the gently caress is it with kyles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I have complete confidence in him but it's probably going to take him a while.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Pookah posted:

The other three must be absolutely making GBS threads themselves.

What's that website called?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I Love Loosies posted:

What's that website called?

http://howmanyofme.com/search/

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

HA! Number one, motherfuckers! Bound to happen sometime.

Only 1,676 people even have my first name in the US. 0 have my last, which is fair, as it's hyphenated.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:smugdog:
(there are actually about 360 of me, apparently)

madeintaipei posted:

Only 1,676 people even have my first name in the US. 0 have my last, which is fair, as it's hyphenated.

It said there were 1676 people with Captain as a first name, that seems weirdly specific enough that I wonder if it's some kind of placeholder estimate.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it takes data saying something like ".005% of Americans are named Captain" and ran that against the total population, and I think they cut off everything below that point because there are a lot of names that 1676 people have.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, a lower percentage limit would make a lot of sense.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

That stats page is really disappointing. I can find lists of popular names all over the place. And who cares what celebrity names people are searching for? I'd like to know what the most common name combinations are and how many people the average person shares a name with.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Thank loving god

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

But I need to shitpost, and I only have so many postage stamps

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Showjumper 'Who Should Never Have Been Born' Sues Mom's Doctor — and Wins

https://toofab.com/2021/12/01/showjumper-claims-should-never-have-been-born-sues-moms-doctor-wins/

Evie Toombes, 20, who suffers from spina bifida, accused Dr Philip Mitchel of failing to advise her mom on the importance of taking folic acid before conceiving, arguing that had he, her mother would have delayed pregnancy and had a completely healthy — and completely different — baby.

In a landmark ruling in the UK's London High Court on Wednesday, a judge agreed with her "wrongful conception" argument; damages have not yet been calculated, but are likely to reach multiple millions, The Sun reported.

Goons get yer attorneys ready to make mom and dad or whoever pay dearly for your miserable existence if your argument is solid enough!

cinni has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Dec 2, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

:smugdog:
(there are actually about 360 of me, apparently)

It said there were 1676 people with Captain as a first name, that seems weirdly specific enough that I wonder if it's some kind of placeholder estimate.

:smith:

I don't exist.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
That site says that there are 124 people in the US with my surname, which is really interesting, because I've never heard of another one, and google returns 0 results.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Iirc that site obfuscates results if they are below a certain threshold. I don't know what the cutoff is.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If I put in the shortened version of my name, that I pretty much exclusively use, with my last name it says there's 1 person, I assume because that's how I filled out the census.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

cinni posted:

a judge agreed with her "wrongful conception" argument;
I'd like to see this case in Texas.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
After playing with that site a bit I'm pretty sure it's just giving you the number of people with that name you'd expect if the names were just randomly distributed. Like if 1% of the population in named Bob and 10% of the population is named Smith then 1% of people with the last name Smith must also be named Bob and therefore 0.1% of the population must be named Bob Smith.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AKA Pseudonym posted:

After playing with that site a bit I'm pretty sure it's just giving you the number of people with that name you'd expect if the names were just randomly distributed. Like if 1% of the population in named Bob and 10% of the population is named Smith then 1% of people with the last name Smith must also be named Bob and therefore 0.1% of the population must be named Bob Smith.

Mohammed Wang: world’s most popular name

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Captain Monkey posted:

:smith:

I don't exist.

Yeah... that website is inaccurate. I searched for my name, and it said there was only one person with that name in the United States. However, when I was Googling my name a few years ago I found there's someone with my same name (same middle initial even) running a plumbing business in... Illinois I think it was?

So either my identity got stolen to form a plumbing business, or the How Many of Me site is wrong.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Viscous Soda posted:

Yeah... that website is inaccurate. I searched for my name, and it said there was only one person with that name in the United States. However, when I was Googling my name a few years ago I found there's someone with my same name (same middle initial even) running a plumbing business in... Illinois I think it was?

So either my identity got stolen to form a plumbing business, or the How Many of Me site is wrong.

Is that other person definitely still alive? Maybe someone is hunting you down, Sarah Connor.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Maybe Canada has annexed Illinois and How Many of Me are the only people who've noticed.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

almost 100 million years of blue balls

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

King of edging

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain Hygiene posted:

But I need to shitpost, and I only have so many postage stamps

We can open a BBS. I think I still have a dialup modem in a box somewhere.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Platystemon posted:

Mohammed Wang: world’s most popular name

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

PSA check out r/tombstoning for unfortunate headline/photo juxtaposition that haven't been xeroxed and read aloud by talk show hosts a million times

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

looks like I got some highlandering to do

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A history TikToker's viral claim that Ancient Rome 'didn't exist' is getting backlash from academics

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:hist101: No no no it's not 'Roma delandus est'!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

quote:

Removal from civil service for denial of the existence of the Federal Republic of Germany

A civil servant who denies the existence of the Federal Republic of Germany by consistently stating "Kingdom of Bavaria" instead of "Federal Republic of Germany" in an application for a citizenship card seriously violates his or her duty of loyalty to the constitution and may therefore be removed from civil service by disciplinary action. This was decided today by the Federal Administrative Court in Leipzig.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/BrokePoetess/status/1466490696232280064

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Kill all anime, just to be safe.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

By popular demand posted:

Kill all anime, just to be safe.

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The nemesis of people who believes the fake buildings constructed for the numerous World Fairs in early 20th century USA were real buildings made by ancient civilisations who crossed the Bering land bridge after Native Americans.

Edit:
The Tiktoker previously made a video claiming "Jesus Chris" can be be translated to "clitoris healer".

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Dec 4, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wait until academics hear about the smooth sharks guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wait until academics hear about the smooth sharks guy!

no please, you've summoned them