Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Gaunab posted:

The first few episodes of 30 rock are rough. Takes a while before it finds it's footing.

The humor is more dry in the first few episodes and I like them for that. Same with the first season of The Office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gaunab posted:

The first few episodes of 30 rock are rough. Takes a while before it finds it's footing.

Studio 60 though? Beautiful.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Abongination posted:

Just re-watched the first three seasons of Arrested Development and they are still super good. Dense with jokes with a lot of star power.

The one ongoing joke that really hasn't aged well at all is the lawyer character Barry. There's a constant ongoing joke that he's gay and picking up trans women on the street and it just doesn't work in 2021.
yeah they didn't stop there

:yotj:

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mescal posted:

That and 30 rock, you're like 'wow so smart and sophisticated!' except for the poo poo that makes you go oof, OOF! like two weeks after initial airing.

"Wouldnt be a lemon party without old dick" is timeless.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

yeah they didn't stop there

:yotj:

Yeah, even at the time that one felt a little mean spirited.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I went through Arrested Development about a year ago and was surprised at how well season 4 held up. It wasn't quite as good as the previous seasons, but going into it with the knowledge that it was largely character vignettes curbed the disappointment about the whole cast not being together.

But I made it about an episode and a half into season 5 before frantically closing my media player. It was terrible.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

sweet geek swag posted:

Yeah, even at the time that one felt a little mean spirited.

I remember trying to convince myself that the actual joke was that Steve Holt was totally accepting and Maebe was the real lovely one for thinking that would put him off, which still would've been lovely and also lmao that was far too generous. It's kind of interesting to think of it in the light of there being many modern shows that are able to use the "they're poo poo people, that's the joke" and thinking about what will stand up or fail in that light a couple decades from now.

now I think of it, I'm remembering that one saving grace of arrested development shooting itself in the foot so much (eventually) is that the very pleasant dude I know actually named Steve Holt can finally know peace

and yeah, netflix popped up arrested development as a suggestion for me and reminded me I stopped halfway through episode 3 of season 5. I don't even have a concrete memory of what specifically was so bad, I just remember never wanting to watch it again

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

woke kaczynski posted:

I remember trying to convince myself that the actual joke was that Steve Holt was totally accepting and Maebe was the real lovely one for thinking that would put him off, which still would've been lovely and also lmao that was far too generous. It's kind of interesting to think of it in the light of there being many modern shows that are able to use the "they're poo poo people, that's the joke" and thinking about what will stand up or fail in that light a couple decades from now.

"The joke is that they are NOT SUPPOSED TO be doing blackface"

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Its been ages since ive seen arrested development, but wasnt Steve holt always portrayed as a really nice person? Dumb as bricks but accepting, helpful and always friendly?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I always remember him being portrayed as a simple dumb guy.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

He was barely a character, but he seemed nice. Low bar in that universe.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Arrested Development has my favorite linguistic joke , where Buster is translating from Arabic and says "It's laundry but like... a child's laundry? We don't really have a word for it."

Shame about all the gay and trans jokes tho

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

poly and open-minded posted:

Arrested Development has my favorite linguistic joke , where Buster is translating from Arabic and says "It's laundry but like... a child's laundry? We don't really have a word for it."

Could you please explain this joke?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i thought the last two-four episodes of arrested development were honestly pretty good but i don't remember the start of season 5 and everyone says its so awful they quit

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Everyone had aged by season four, but when season five rolled out they were noticeably old and tired.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I watched the first half of AD season 5 and it kind of almost seemed better than season 4. But "old and tired" is definitely an apt description. It wasn't terrible, it just seemed vaguely sad. Never watched the second half.

The one gag I do remember from it was how Lucille interpreted the phrase "Hurt people hurt people" as "Hurt people. Hurt people."

Tiggum posted:

Could you please explain this joke?

There's not much to it really, it's kind of just riffing on the peculiarities that happen in translation sometimes. It's a very elegantly worded gag though. "Child's laundry" is just the right amount of weird there.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Sir Lemming posted:

I watched the first half of AD season 5 and it kind of almost seemed better than season 4. But "old and tired" is definitely an apt description. It wasn't terrible, it just seemed vaguely sad. Never watched the second half.

Yeah it seemed like the writing was a caricature of seasons 1-3 that tried way too hard and ended up turning the previously novel web of callbacks and self-referential jokes into an ouroboros of confusion and sadness, and the cast didn't really seem to want to be there at all. I think we only made it through a handful of episodes before deciding to turn it off lest it ruin whatever remaining sheen the original series still has.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
The stories of Jessica Walter's mistreatment on set by Jeffrey Tambor really killed my interest in the show, especially now that she has passed.

That said I had already watched Season 5 by the time I heard about that and already had the series partially ruined with the reveal that Buster actually did murder Lucille 2. It puts a really creepy retroactive spin on the character

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

The one gag I do remember from it was how Lucille interpreted the phrase "Hurt people hurt people" as "Hurt people. Hurt people."

There's not much to it really, it's kind of just riffing on the peculiarities that happen in translation sometimes. It's a very elegantly worded gag though. "Child's laundry" is just the right amount of weird there.

I assumed "child's laundry" would be "launderette" as in a small diminutive laundry.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

The stories of Jessica Walter's mistreatment on set by Jeffrey Tambor really killed my interest in the show, especially now that she has passed.
Ditto, especially after that cast reunion interview in which the entire cast except for Alia Shakwat tried to minimize it when Walter brought it up. :barf:

Which reminds me of a great moment I had while flipping through the channels recently. I happened to come across the scene in the Buffy musical episode where Nicholas Brendon's and Emma Caulfield's characters are being forced into a faux-jaunty dance scene at the behest of a demon and goddamn does that play differently knowing now how they were being treated behind the scenes by Joss Whedon. I thought about looking more closely to see if the actors were blinking SOS in Morse Code.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
charisma carpenter deserved so much better and any thoughts I've had about trying to rewatch buffy/angel for the fantastic cast in spite of whedon gets stopped when I remember how she ends up getting treated and why

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

flatluigi posted:

charisma carpenter deserved so much better and any thoughts I've had about trying to rewatch buffy/angel for the fantastic cast in spite of whedon gets stopped when I remember how she ends up getting treated and why

Knowing that she wasn't the only female cast member that got hosed over and not knowing which ones is what does it for me. Not saying it doesn't upset me for her but knowing there are others in there who likely got the same or worse sucks.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

That said I had already watched Season 5 by the time I heard about that and already had the series partially ruined with the reveal that Buster actually did murder Lucille 2. It puts a really creepy retroactive spin on the character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZAeQ05gDjc

The fact that they mention her dying with a smile on her face and Buster's weird smirk at the end made me assume that they were setting up for a reveal that she died during sex and he just panicked and hid the body if they ever did another season.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

datajugend posted:

Its been ages since ive seen arrested development, but wasnt Steve holt always portrayed as a really nice person? Dumb as bricks but accepting, helpful and always friendly?

I think in his first few appearances he was your typical stock character rear end in a top hat jock bully to Michael Cera. They didn't stick with that for too long though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gaunab posted:

Is that before or after the episode defending blackface

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is that before or after the episode defending blackface

Speaking as a white person, until recently the attitude towards blackface among whites has generally been "Oh, I know blackface is bad, but this time it's okay because [blank]!" It hasn't been until the last couple of years that I have actually seen real pushback against the mentality. I'm not defending what 30 Rock did (or Scrubs, or any of the countless other productions that used blackface), but I am saying that of course they thought they could get away with it. It's only now that we look back as a society and realize "that wasn't actually a very good excuse."

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

sweet geek swag posted:

Speaking as a white person, until recently the attitude towards blackface among whites has generally been "Oh, I know blackface is bad, but this time it's okay because [blank]!" It hasn't been until the last couple of years that I have actually seen real pushback against the mentality. I'm not defending what 30 Rock did (or Scrubs, or any of the countless other productions that used blackface), but I am saying that of course they thought they could get away with it. It's only now that we look back as a society and realize "that wasn't actually a very good excuse."

so the excuse is now they didn't realize their excuses were bad

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
We figured out the new excuse. Bring back blackface from the depths.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Did Coonskin (1975) age poorly as soon as it was released?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Did Coonskin (1975) age poorly as soon as it was released?

From what I understand Coonskin is critically and academically praised by many Blacks, and the problem was CORE having a kneejerk response without seeing the film.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

so the excuse is now they didn't realize their excuses were bad

No, because they were told at the time their excuses were bad. Absent any real consequences though, they just didn't care.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Arivia posted:

From what I understand Coonskin is critically and academically praised by many Blacks, and the problem was CORE having a kneejerk response without seeing the film.

Wu-Tang liked it

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Wu-Tang liked it

That’s nothing to gently caress with.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Is the "ken jeong larps as a drow and is immediately ejected for blackface" episode of community good or bad?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Volcott posted:

Is the "ken jeong larps as a drow and is immediately ejected for blackface" episode of community good or bad?

It is extremely well thought of among actual RPG nerds, including that joke

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arivia posted:

Regardless of whether the movie is praised by blacks, it hasn't exactly aged well in the homophobia department.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

Regardless of whether the movie is praised by blacks, it hasn't exactly aged well in the homophobia department.

Sure, but the discussion was about portrayals of blackface by White artists. Regardless, I haven’t seen it myself so I can’t speak specifically on either ground.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

sweet geek swag posted:

Shut up honky

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Arivia posted:

Sure, but the discussion was about portrayals of blackface by White artists. Regardless, I haven’t seen it myself so I can’t speak specifically on either ground.
A part of me wants to encourage someone to make screencaps Coonskin thread like with Bakshi's other film Lord of the Rings from Feb 2020...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908872

Grouchio has a new favorite as of 05:11 on Dec 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much everything about the Drow isn't even so much 'aged poorly' as 'only got away with it in the first place because it's in incredibly niche media by and for complete dorklords who read too many pulpy fantasy novels'.