Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah but we paid $80k for these $4,500 cars just 2 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Today I ripped out some trim to install an antenna to enable CarPlay. Gotta update the software but should be a much nicer solution so i can use Waze on my infotainment instead of staring down at my phone. Sometimes I miss my job where I wrenched on machines and engines, but a stripped bolt and a difficult electrical connector later, not so much. Only one leftover bolt this time, so not terrible.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

I know everyone here drives a $4500 car so a $80k car seems like it's expensive, but I can assure you that people buying $80k cars are not the same people who have a spare $45k to drop into their purchase, which falls to "actually rich" people.
please proceed, governor

dk2m
May 6, 2009

I think the last time I viscerally hated a car was the H3 Hummer, absolutely gently caress this thing

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

German plant is not building 3's until January

They go on a production break every December.

There just usually isn’t a massive backlog of orders so it’s normally not a big deal.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

snugglz posted:

sad day, but my 332ti is up for sale/part-out

Pour the gently caress out. I fell in love with e36s because of a big turbo s52 swapped hellrot -ti.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The XM is looking to be a good fast car, just very stupid looking on the outside re the hard angled body and triangular exhausts. The grill is not as stupid as this exaggeration though:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

The XM is looking to be a good fast car, just very stupid looking on the outside re the hard angled body and triangular exhausts. The grill is not as stupid as this exaggeration though:
another option: BMW Thread: a good fast car, just very stupid looking

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
Hey guys, dunno if this is the right place to post this or not, seems OK though.

I have an E46 330ci with a 2.5l engine, and I'm having a voltage issue somewhere. My alternator never puts out more than 13v, and normally somewhere between 12.7 - 12.9v, even under load (lights, radio, AC on, engine revving). New battery, third reman alternator (first reman went bad, replaced second one after checking the voltage, same issue). Checked the nuts going to the starter, checked all the wire that I can see for faults, checked the posts under the hood, checked the hot wire where it meets the firewall, checked the battery terminals, no draw on the system that I can find, and I've checked the wires going into the ECU.

I've heard the ECU has something to do with "telling" the alternator what to output, but I wouldn't even know where to begin with that. I also assume reman alternators come with new voltage regulators, but I guess I could be wrong. Based on what I've read about bad voltage regulator symptoms, it doesn't sound like the issue to me.

I'm completely out of troubleshooting ideas, so any help is much appreciated.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Eaterofpoptarts posted:

Hey guys, dunno if this is the right place to post this or not, seems OK though.

I have an E46 330ci with a 2.5l engine, and I'm having a voltage issue somewhere. My alternator never puts out more than 13v, and normally somewhere between 12.7 - 12.9v, even under load (lights, radio, AC on, engine revving). New battery, third reman alternator (first reman went bad, replaced second one after checking the voltage, same issue). Checked the nuts going to the starter, checked all the wire that I can see for faults, checked the posts under the hood, checked the hot wire where it meets the firewall, checked the battery terminals, no draw on the system that I can find, and I've checked the wires going into the ECU.

I've heard the ECU has something to do with "telling" the alternator what to output, but I wouldn't even know where to begin with that. I also assume reman alternators come with new voltage regulators, but I guess I could be wrong. Based on what I've read about bad voltage regulator symptoms, it doesn't sound like the issue to me.

I'm completely out of troubleshooting ideas, so any help is much appreciated.

Did you check the ground? I think it’s relatively common problem on the e46.

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/low-voltage-new-battery-alternator-and-starter.1239899/

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Steakandchips posted:

That's the joke, it looks the same with either a regular grille or 30 seconds photoshopped one.

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013

kronix posted:

Did you check the ground? I think it’s relatively common problem on the e46.

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/low-voltage-new-battery-alternator-and-starter.1239899/

This was the problem, it was frozen to the post and covered with trash. It took Kroil soaking for a while and a long ratchet to break it loose. Cleaned up the nut and the post, started no problem, 14v at the posts.

I'd attempted something similar, bypassing the ground with a jumper cable, but I was still using the original ground post instead of grounding it to the engine.

Thank you so much for the advice, I'm really excited to drive it again!

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Eaterofpoptarts posted:

This was the problem, it was frozen to the post and covered with trash. It took Kroil soaking for a while and a long ratchet to break it loose. Cleaned up the nut and the post, started no problem, 14v at the posts.

I'd attempted something similar, bypassing the ground with a jumper cable, but I was still using the original ground post instead of grounding it to the engine.

Thank you so much for the advice, I'm really excited to drive it again!

It’s a super common issue, glad I could help point you in the right direction

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Eaterofpoptarts posted:

I have an E46 330ci with a 2.5l engine

Glad you resolved your issue, but huh? The E46 is still from the era when the number scheme made sense and you've got a 3.0L M54B30 in there

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BMW 525D 2007:

"Left dipped headlight failure" for the last few weeks.
Googled which bulb to get.
Not sure which bulb.
Watched youtubes on how it's done.
Parked car in my garage, opened the bonnet, got the plastic cover off, decided undoing the rest of the assembly looked too finicky.
Put the plastic cover back on.
Phoned local garage.
"yeah bring it in, I'm free in an hours time".
Brought it in.
Mechanic fixed the bulb in 5 minutes.
Total cost (bulb + labour): £10.

Way better than DIY.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Guinness posted:

Glad you resolved your issue, but huh? The E46 is still from the era when the number scheme made sense and you've got a 3.0L M54B30 in there

The fact that I didn't notice this just goes to show how much BMWs current naming scheme has broken my brain. I don't even think about displacement anymore.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

kronix posted:

The fact that I didn't notice this just goes to show how much BMWs current naming scheme has broken my brain. I don't even think about displacement anymore.

Proof once and for all that there is in fact a replacement for displacement.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Displacement stopped mattering altogether when bmw stopped selling naturally aspirated cars

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

rscott posted:

BMWs stopped mattering altogether when bmw stopped selling naturally aspirated cars

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
BMW Thread: I hate these things, what else is there? Porsche? Corvette?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

kronix posted:

I mean its not as direct as the displacement based one was but having the 2nd digit indicate the amount of cylinders the engine has is helpful
3=4cyl
4=6cyl
5=8cyl
6=12cyl

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

BMW Thread: I hate these things, what else is there? Porsche? Corvette?

I keep on looking at this thread because you guys seem way more active.

Also because I keep looking at E90 M3s.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Don't do it, that NA V8 only has 3999 cubic centimeters

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I did an effort post for sale ad for my E90 and I had two people lined up by the next morning.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=28323367

I was planning to post it on Autotrader and cargurus while I was waiting for the BaT listing to go through. Glad I didn’t have to deal with all that. It’s getting loaded up on a truck tomorrow.

The BaT team told me I’d need to list it as a no reserve auction. Screw that.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I did an effort post for sale ad for my E90 and I had two people lined up by the next morning.

I was planning to post it on Autotrader and cargurus while I was waiting for the BaT listing to go through. Glad I didn’t have to deal with all that. It’s getting loaded up on a truck tomorrow.

poo poo. I think you posted in this thread about the impending sale. Wish I had jumped on it.

Crazy how in demand these cars are!

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I had a hard time figuring out how to price it because there weren’t too many LCI 6MT sedans for sale with a good service history. I’m happy it’s going to another enthusiast with kids, it’s a good dad car.

I have this sinking feeling that in 5 years or so I’ll want another one and it’s going to cost me 2-3x as much.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

It’s a really good car! Starting in the new year I’m going to start my search for a donor

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

My E60 525D's steering felt a tiny bit off for the last few days, but generally fine.

Drove today to the local town centre 10 miles away. Parked up fine.

Went to shops, came back, started up car, half way home and power steering goes.

No warning or error lights though, before or during the power steering failure (which is still ongoing).

Turning the car off and on again did nothing.

Had to drive back about 7 miles without power steering.

I've booked it in for the local garage to take a look at 1130 tomorrow morning.

Any thoughts on why no error lights and what the power steering failure issue could be?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Welp, I did it.

I now have an e61 and an e91.

Time to find a 3-stage intake, some proper arctic metallic body parts (the paint match after the deer repair is NOT great), and drive the wheels off the thing. I just found a set of LCI halogens in a yard yesterday, not a huge upgrade, but halos are always nice. I'm digging these manual seats with the inflatable side bolsters.

Whatever, pics.

I'm pretty sure it needs either a guibo or a CSB, so that'll be fun in winter, on jackstands, plus I'm nearly certain the guy who did the clutch installed the TOB in the wrong orientation, the bite point is HIGH, like my size 13s can't follow the full pedal travel without taking my heel off the floorpan. I think he installed with the "A", when I need the "B" I'll see about borrowing the borescope from work, I think I can get an angle at it if I move the slave out of the way-

glyph fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 8, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Steakandchips posted:

My E60 525D's steering felt a tiny bit off for the last few days, but generally fine.

Drove today to the local town centre 10 miles away. Parked up fine.

Went to shops, came back, started up car, half way home and power steering goes.

No warning or error lights though, before or during the power steering failure (which is still ongoing).

Turning the car off and on again did nothing.

Had to drive back about 7 miles without power steering.

I've booked it in for the local garage to take a look at 1130 tomorrow morning.

Any thoughts on why no error lights and what the power steering failure issue could be?

Have you checked the power steering fluid level?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

glyph posted:

Welp, I did it.

I now have an e61 and an e91.

gently caress yes, the wagon life salutes you

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Have you checked the power steering fluid level?

Which one is the power steering fluid?

Please tell me it's not the one I circled in red, as I filled that up with windscreen washer fluid the day before...

E:
Is it this one?

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 8, 2021

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

Is it this one?

Yes

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

How full should that canister be?

I will go look inside it in the morning.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

There will be a dipstick under the cap or markings on the inside to indicate fill level, typically 1/2 to 2/3 of the reservoir volume.

If the power assistance is totally gone, the thing might be totally empty. Ie you're looking for a big problem, not just "a little low on fluid "

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Buy the real Pentosin fluid and when you take the cap off it has a dipstick, it has a min and high line marked.

edit: b10, but still, Pentosin fluid.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Good job on the listing and it is good to hear there is a lot of interest in the platform. Pricing still seems to be all over the place between high-ish and out of touch.

I would be out of touch because realistically it would take someone waving fifty grand in my face for me to even consider it. Part of me is afraid of even putting that out in the universe because someone might call my bluff.

Residency Evil posted:

Also because I keep looking at E90 M3s.

You should get one.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
BMW Thread: Turning the car off and on again did nothing

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

SlapActionJackson posted:

There will be a dipstick under the cap or markings on the inside to indicate fill level, typically 1/2 to 2/3 of the reservoir volume.

If the power assistance is totally gone, the thing might be totally empty. Ie you're looking for a big problem, not just "a little low on fluid "

Will check for dipstick/markings.

Power assistance is 100% gone, i.e. I was properly heaving at it at points, particularly for 90 degree turns at low speeds.

BlackMK4 posted:

Buy the real Pentosin fluid and when you take the cap off it has a dipstick, it has a min and high line marked.

edit: b10, but still, Pentosin fluid.

I hope the local garage has the Pentosin...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kill me now posted:

I mean its not as direct as the displacement based one was but having the 2nd digit indicate the amount of cylinders the engine has is helpful
3=4cyl
4=6cyl
5=8cyl
6=12cyl

It doesn't work because the 320i is still a thing