Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

if everyone vaxxed and masked, we’d nearly stop the virus 700,000ish less people would be dead

wait that’s just the us so

just

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Restarting? No. A draining ordeal of spikes, surges, and variant whack-a-mole lasting well into the 30s? Probably.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
(K)N95 masks are disposable, but not at all single-use. They also aren't expensive, at roughly $1 apiece. https://bonafidemasks.com/kn95-respirator-mask-headband-style-fda-authorized/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dog on Fire posted:

Mainly to not create so much trash with the single-use masks vOv

Hospitalization is bad for the environment.

If a hundred thousand N95s keep one person out of the hospital, they have more than offset their own burden.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

withak posted:

Pausing for a minute at the Hitler stage is mandatory for anyone shaving off a beard.

Hitler mustache is mask friendly, though likely to get you punched in the face if you take the mask off - so extra safe.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Strep Vote posted:

You are so vulnerable when pregnant that I would seriously consider severing from a partner that doesn't take it seriously.

He's a great partner otherwise, the main problem is that he thinks he's taking it seriously (and compared to most people he is). I think I need to show him how different my body is in all ways now that I'm pregnant, which includes immune response, receptor sensitivity, etc, and then covid outcomes for pregnant people. It would have more of an impact though if I could show that, even vaccinated, I'm still far more at risk than he is. I've also been far more cautious through all of covid than he has, so he does think I have a level of paranoia that is over the top.

Darth TNT posted:

I'd need to dig up sources. I was certain I either read in the local news or saw it on some local talk show that (barring edge cases like imuno compromised and people above 50) generally the vaccin was good at keeping a serious infection from happening. Not that you're immune, but that you would generally at least not end up in the hospital any more.

I have read the article about the asymptomatic infections as well. However, the versions I read referred mostly to the first wave of Corona and pointed to unvaccinated women. Link in Dutch I'm afraid, but it links through to some UK, Spanish and US research near halfway of the text

That said, please please don't take what I said as me telling you to take it easy on any and all basic counter measures such as social distancing. I'm just trying to not make you more stressed out while still keeping to the rules. I would never take any risk with an unborn child. I remember how paranoid me and my wife were around our own and it wasn't even COVID period back then.

Take the precautions that allow you to feel the most relaxed.

it is good at keeping serious infection from happening, but it does still happen. I think you could make an argument that pregnancy leads to a level of immunocompromise, but that would be a harder line to draw. I'll take all the data I can get. Definitely not going to relax my isolating, masking, or anything.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Lol if you don't wear a KN95 or N95 in a red state

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hell I don't even live in a state

naem
May 29, 2011

Dick Jones posted:

Restarting? No. A draining ordeal of spikes, surges, and variant whack-a-mole lasting well into the 30s? Probably.

the 30’s, gently caress me

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

naem posted:

the 30’s, gently caress me
It's a baseless claim, not "probably"

By way of comparison the last few pandemics were a couple of years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ShadowHawk posted:

What are the last few pandemics? Swine flu and HIV?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ShadowHawk posted:

For example influenza which nobody has heard of since.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Platystemon posted:

facebook, twitter, instagram, tiktok

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Platystemon posted:

Crypto

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
If there is sufficient vaccine/immune escape Id say restarting is a fair approximation. Waiting eagerly for dem lab results.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

If there is sufficient vaccine/immune escape Id say restarting is a fair approximation. Waiting eagerly for dem lab results.

Very unfair.

It’s R0 is way worse than the Wuhan strain (even if no worse than Delta’s), or the mutants with D614G that quickly came out of Europe. The virus is now more stable in the environment, too—at room temperature and above and below.

And there’s the whole changed geopolitical situation.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ShadowHawk posted:

Spanish Flu pandemic was ~5 years I thought.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Salt Fish posted:

For example influenza which nobody has heard of since.
To be clear I'm not saying COVID will go extinct I'm saying it will make that nebulous shift where it becomes a disease to worry about but isn't dominating the medical systems everywhere all the time

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

ShadowHawk posted:

To be clear I'm not saying COVID will go extinct I'm saying it will make that nebulous shift where it becomes a disease to worry about but isn't dominating the medical systems everywhere all the time

Based on what selective pressure?

Personally I think some C19 PREP equivalent is our only way back to some normalcy.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Platystemon posted:

HIV, flu, flu, flu, and a flu that might have been a coronavirus, approximately

Admittedly I forgot about HIV which is a very different beast due to its incredibly slow progression. Imagine the confusion we'd be in if COVID took years for symptoms to develop

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ShadowHawk posted:

Imagine the confusion we'd be in if COVID took years for symptoms to develop

we haven't ruled this out yet :smug:

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-02/get-a-booster-now-and-don-t-wait-for-omicron-shot-experts-say

"Only Monica Gandhi, a professor of medicine and infectious diseases doctor at the University of California at San Francisco, disagreed"

classic Monica Gandhi!

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Is it not feasible to get a booster of the current vaccine now and an omicron-specific one later? Delta's still here, why not get both shots?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

HolHorsejob posted:

Is it not feasible to get a booster of the current vaccine now and an omicron-specific one later? Delta's still here, why not get both shots?
You should absolutely get a booster now if you qualify. Delta is still around (at least for now!) and still a big loving deal regardless of the degree of immune escape for Omicron.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

dwarf74 posted:

You should absolutely get a booster now if you qualify. Delta is still around (at least for now!) and still a big loving deal regardless of the degree of immune escape for Omicron.

Yeah don’t end up with both! Get boosted

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I want every shot. Gimme polio and typhoid and even ones for diseases that only affect livestock.

Rabies? Hook me up. Every Covid. I want Pfizer and Moderna and even J&J.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Reckonin' yer hankerin' for the 'mectin, pardner. :clint:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Beachcomber posted:

I want every shot. Gimme polio and typhoid and even ones for diseases that only affect livestock.

Rabies? Hook me up. Every Covid. I want Pfizer and Moderna and even J&J.

You can get an anthrax vaccine. Hepatitis B exists too but it's 3 shots months apart so it's a pain.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Chief McHeath posted:

No, though I've always had a bit of a fear of parasites.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Unfortunately, I just recovered from Covid.

I got sick around the 18th, and am now on day #2 of back to work. (I quarantined, and got the ok to return)

I am still going to get my booster, and thankfully got both my Moderna Vaccines.

I'm pretty sure I got it through the break room at work. A few weeks prior to my infection I had changed my eating habits and chose to sit in the break room because I had access to a microwave and a fridge. Not doing that again...

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Bina posted:

I got sick around the 18th, and am now on day #2 of back to work. (I quarantined, and got the ok to return)

I am still going to get my booster, and thankfully got both my Moderna Vaccines.

I'm pretty sure I got it through the break room at work. A few weeks prior to my infection I had changed my eating habits and chose to sit in the break room because I had access to a microwave and a fridge. Not doing that again...

Oof, sorry to hear it. I always eat my lunch on the open dock at my job, or in my car if I drove in. Thankfully, we're pretty good about masking, though a few of my coworkers definitely eat their lunch at their desk in the middle of the room :saddowns:

How's your energy? How far out are you from your second shot?

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Bina posted:

How bad was the sickness itself?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

dwarf74 posted:

Everyone qualifies now. If you are over 18 you should get a booster.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Chief McHeath posted:

god dont joke about that, some of us have legitimate intestinal worm problems

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

HolHorsejob posted:

Oof, sorry to hear it. I always eat my lunch on the open dock at my job, or in my car if I drove in. Thankfully, we're pretty good about masking, though a few of my coworkers definitely eat their lunch at their desk in the middle of the room :saddowns:

How's your energy? How far out are you from your second shot?

I had both of my shots in moderna and I need to schedule my booster.

A co-worker yesterday told me that my fatigue is still obvious in my eyes, like I had been through something worse than a regular cold.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Elea posted:

How bad was the sickness itself?

It felt like four days of the worst flu you've had in your life.

Thankfully, I didn't have any breathing issues, including cough.

My main symptoms were chills, fever, lost of taste and smell, and severe congestion/fatigue/soreness.

I could barely gather energy to go to the bathroom, and didn't bother eating much the first two days.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gio posted:

covid is airborne. wear a respirator or rawdog it, theres no point in wearing anything less.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Besides the fact that rawdog should either be raw dog, or rawdawg (common grammatical error) I'm not understanding why these two true statements got probated :confused:

In a follow up post he pointed out (rightly so) that n95/kn95 are widely available for cheap, so it's not some kind of classist statement. I bought a 20 pack of 3M n95 Aura masks on Amazon the other day for $20, arrived in 48 hours

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hadlock posted:

Besides the fact that rawdog should either be raw dog, or rawdawg (common grammatical error) I'm not understanding why these two true statements got probated :confused:

In a follow up post he pointed out (rightly so) that n95/kn95 are widely available for cheap, so it's not some kind of classist statement. I bought a 20 pack of 3M n95 Aura masks on Amazon the other day for $20, arrived in 48 hours
Not everyone knows that "respirator" includes any mask designed to protect the wearer by filtering air, for example n95, kn94 etc.

Its true that surgical and cloth masks block ballistic droplets and protect others, but anyone trying to breath filtered air should have upgraded by now.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
xposting, here's an "on the ground" story--

I live and work on a Native American reservation. Our vaccination rate continues to be abysmal, around 35%. I've posted about this before, but I attribute the low vaccination rate to apathy and the significant restrictions and lockdown measures we've had continuously since March 2020. Most people here have more pressing concerns in daily life than worrying about a pandemic which doesn't seem to affect them, personally.

I was working remotely with a student today who has been quaranting due to lots of exposure. Four of her young children tested positive and have been quite sick; her mother and sister who stopped by before they had symptoms also tested positive and got very ill (kids, mother, sister all unvaccinated). She is vaccinated and has yet to catch COVID despite being quarantined with four young kids who are all positive for a week. She was remarking about how vaccines work and she's glad she got hers, and she's going to be telling people her story and encouraging them to get vaccinated.

She herself was not anti-vaxx but rather apathetic and didn't see it as a big deal until my school required it in August, then she got shots.

The low vaxx rate is still frustrating but it's a bit of a :unsmith: moment to see small progress being made. Especially in an isolated community of very marginalized people who have good historical reasons to distrust state/federal government, that sort of word-of-mouth and personal testimony is key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Mu Zeta posted:

You can get an anthrax vaccine. Hepatitis B exists too but it's 3 shots months apart so it's a pain.

Isn't hep b a standard vaccine ? In Canada it is at least