Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

buffalo all day posted:

another ep with a bunch of new scenes makes me realize I’m much happier with them not quoting book scenes constantly because they got the characters completely right so it’s like im experiencing totally new but also consistent versions of these things I’ve had in my head for decades. Like RJ writing new books or something.

Yeah this is how I feel. It's like with James Bond or Batman etc, I don't care at all about slavishly recreating the source text if they can get something that captures the right spirit of what the story is about and who the characters are, and this season has been nailing it so far in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Ah I thought that was Perrin who did that, his eyes started glowing right at the same time.

that's how i interpreted it and what i'm still going with tbh

nm there's definitely burning of the bonds, i guess we aren't getting a hulk perrin. shame

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 3, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Thinking about it more, the show could pace out it's videos better on a weekly basis too. The actual episodes drop Friday morning, and every episode has bonus animations and behind the scenes featurettes as well as there being an aftershow thing on YouTube. So they could be putting up one of them every day or two to keep a constant drip-feed of content between episodes to keep anticipation and engagement. If every episode has them, then it wouldn't even be a thing of needing to check to know, since they could just announce and keep a schedule. The after show on Saturday, bonus animations on Monday, the behind the scenes stuff on Wednesday etc.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
That was a drat fine episode

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The really shallow graves was pretty weird. Forgot about that. I kept expecting them to do some kind of fire cremation thing but nope.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah idk boys/girls/etc, the episode itself was decent but it made me 1473% more confused about the whole Aes Sedai/Whitecloaks thing than I already was.

A paramilitary outfit whose expressed life mission is to torture and murder Aes Sedai are just freely wandering about the literal outskirts of a city that cheers the Aes Sedai as heroes in their streets? They're just strutting around and grabbing commoners and setting up camp within sprinting distance of the White Tower?

What if they -- in making absolutely no effort to hide their status and in fact seeming to flaunt their presence in the Aes Sedai's backyard -- had ran smack-dab into Moraine's group as they were heading back, who they seemed to have missed by sheer random fortune? Just...shrugged awkwardly and moved on? Exchanged heated words? RIPed in pieces?? It makes no sense.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah idk boys/girls/etc, the episode itself was decent but it made me 1473% more confused about the whole Aes Sedai/Whitecloaks thing than I already was.

A paramilitary outfit whose expressed life mission is to torture and murder Aes Sedai are just freely wandering about the literal outskirts of a city that cheers the Aes Sedai as heroes in their streets? They're just strutting around and grabbing commoners and setting up camp within sprinting distance of the White Tower?

What if they -- in making absolutely no effort to hide their status and in fact seeming to flaunt their presence in the Aes Sedai's backyard -- had ran smack-dab into Moraine's group as they were heading back, who they seemed to have missed by sheer random fortune? Just...shrugged awkwardly and moved on? Exchanged heated words? RIPed in pieces?? It makes no sense.

There are examples in real life history where cities only really controlled their city and their gates. Also, The tinkers didn't have a bunch of Warders to scout out a safe path for them. Also, it's possible the whitecloaks specifically didn't try to catch out 7 aes sedai and their warders because they didn't want to get blowed up.

Also, bullies like to pick on people who can't fight back. Like the tinkers.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

BrianWilly posted:

There's a lot of politics that explain this weird relationship and how the Whitecloaks are allowed to operate more or less with impunity, presumably the show will get into that at some point. I'm pretty sure you're meant to be asking that question during this episode.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

The Oaths, next week seems to be where they really show it. So WAFO I guess

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
They're not that dangerous in the books (trying to be vague here), so most rulers allow them access into their realms even if they are extremist shitlords. In the show they seem to be much more dangerous, but are still allowed that access, idk they might be angling for a whitecloak war or something different for the show.

ad090 fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 3, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Like I would understand it more if the Whitecloaks were acting more like a covert bandit group, constantly being on the lookout, making offhand remarks to each other about how they should keep watch and be ready to move out or whatever. But as depicted by the episode, they seem to be completely unconcerned about the consequences of operating so freely so close to the actual home base of the AS -- many of whom certainly sound as if they heed their pacifist creeds only in the loosest senses possible -- which leads me to the impression that there are no consequences for doing so. Which just doesn't make sense to me.

Last time I asked, someone pointed out that, well, how would anyone in charge know that the Whitecloaks are doing stuff like this? And it's like.......how could they not?? :psyduck: No one's acting like it's a big secret or anything.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Sedai could watch a million be slaughtered Infront of them and if they weren't in any mortal danger personally they couldn't do anything but write a sternly worded letter saying to stop killing everyone.

Basically the democratic party if they were bound by magic

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Idk mang, the oaths clearly say they can help other Aes Sedai.

And like, if they really heeded the oath to that degree then Moraine should have just booked it out of town in the first episode.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

BrianWilly posted:

Like I would understand it more if the Whitecloaks were acting more like a covert bandit group, constantly being on the lookout, making offhand remarks to each other about how they should keep watch and be ready to move out or whatever. But as depicted by the episode, they seem to be completely unconcerned about the consequences of operating so freely so close to the actual home base of the AS -- many of whom certainly sound as if they heed their pacifist creeds only in the loosest senses possible -- which leads me to the impression that there are no consequences for doing so. Which just doesn't make sense to me.

Last time I asked, someone pointed out that, well, how would anyone in charge know that the Whitecloaks are doing stuff like this? And it's like.......how could they not?? :psyduck: No one's acting like it's a big secret or anything.

It's not explicitly stated in the books, so I think I can answer this, but the vast majority of the countries in this world, can't really project power in the way they'd like. One ruler in particular only controls like half their capital, must less their entire country, it's a big reason why the whitecloaks get away with poo poo, though again as I mentioned above that was in the books with the much less dangerous cultists.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

BrianWilly posted:

Idk mang, the oaths clearly say they can help other Aes Sedai.

And like, if they really heeded the oath to that degree then Moraine should have just booked it out of town in the first episode.

Yeah it's a political issue, not a magic issue. I'm definitely interested to see how they address it, because as a lot of people are (possibly over-)explaining they're portrayed a bit differently than in the source material

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

This episode made me feel so tense as a book reader. Knowing about the Warder Bond, and thus what all the oblique references actually meant, I was on pins and needles seeing what was going to happen. Really fun stuff.

Love the Tower Politics stuff already, loved Logain's procession, continuing to love Liadrin and Alanna, and the main cast is crushing it. Good stuff this week, even if not to the same heights as Episode 4.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

BrianWilly posted:

imagine the world of wheel of time as less a continent of nations and one a continent of city-states with varying degrees of capacity to project power within their own borders.

there’s a cool scene in TGH (the second book) that goes into this a little bit that I don’t think is a spoiler but I’ll spoiler it anyways.

quote:

"So what happened to them?" Mat demanded. Rand had
not noticed Perrin and Mat ride up to join them. They had
been at the rear, as far from Rand al'Thor as they could get,
the last he had seen.
"They could not hold together," the Ogier replied.
"Crops failed, or trade failed. People failed. Something
failed in each case, and the nation dwindled. Often neighboring countries absorbed the land, when the nations were
gone, but they never lasted, those annexations. In time, the
land truly was abandoned. Some villages hang on here and
there, but mostly they have all gone to wilderness. It is
nearly three hundred years since Harad Dakar was finally
abandoned, but even before that it was a shell, with a king
who could not control what happened inside the city walls.
Harad Dakar itself is completely gone now, I understand.
All the towns and cities of Hardan are gone, the stone
carted away by farmers and villagers for their own use.
Most of the farms and villages made with it are gone, too.
So I read, and I've seen nothing to change it."
"It was quite a quarry, Harad Dakar, for almost a hun-
dred years," Ingtar said bitterly.
"The people left, finally, and then the city was hauled away, stone by stone. All faded away, and what has not gone is fading. Everything, everywhere, fading. There is hardly a nation that truly controls the land it claims on a map, and there is hardly a land that claims today on a map what it did even a hundred
years ago. When the War of the Hundred Years ended, a
man rode from one nation into another without end from
the Blight to the Sea of Storms. Now we can ride through
wilderness claimed by no nation for almost the whole of
the land. We in the Borderlands have our battle with the
Blight to keep us strong, and whole. Perhaps they did not
have what they needed to keep them strong. You say they
failed, Builder? Yes, they failed, and what nation standing
whole today will fail tomorrow? We are being swept away,
humankind. Swept away like flotsam on a flood. How long
until there is nothing left but the Borderlands? How long
before we, too, go under, and there is nothing left but Trollocs and Myrddraal all the way to the Sea of Storms?"

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

(non book reader here) Unless I forgot something from last week, I don't know why so much time was spent on the grieving warder guy. Wasn't he just sort of an NPC that was only introduced last week? Like why should we care so much about this guy. I kept wanting to get back to the main story of our five dragon pals.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

sudo rm -rf posted:

there’s a cool scene in TGH (the second book) that goes into this a little bit that I don’t think is a spoiler but I’ll spoiler it anyways.

I think a huge block of text from the book that the next season will presumably be covering may possibly qualify as a little bit of a book spoiler

Call me crazy

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
I liked ep 5. I thought the warder funeral was... weird and uncomfortable, but if I'm honest at the same time it made my eyes water. I don't know why yet, because I thought it was sort of goofy, but very poignant at the same time. Maybe it's just a testament to Nynaeve, Moiraine and of course Lan's performances there. It got to me.

I'm liking how much the show is trying to pile up credibility at any of the characters being the Dragon Reborn. There's an honest effort to keep us guessing. For the book readers, I mean it's obvious it's Gandalf.

The last scene with Valda was... weird. I thought the acting really fell apart for a few seconds there and brought me out of it. On pretty much all front except maybe Egwene.

I didn't "get" wtf Moiraine was looking at in the little picture frame. I've read the series multiple times and that had me confused.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

(non book reader here) Unless I forgot something from last week, I don't know why so much time was spent on the grieving warder guy. Wasn't he just sort of an NPC that was only introduced last week? Like why should we care so much about this guy. I kept wanting to get back to the main story of our five dragon pals.

'Cause it's not really about him, it's about what he reflects in Lan and Moiraine; giving detail to their relationship, and establishing something pretty important to the setting firmly going forward.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
^ Exactly what I was going to say.

Loial is good, given the constraints they’re under. In fact my non-book-reader roommate looked at me 30 seconds into his intro scene and said “this ogier guy is awesome.”

The scene where he suddenly shows up with Nynaeve was way too sudden though - and considering Mat and Rand both thought she was dead, there should have been more of a brouhaha on her appearance (at least from Rand; given Mat’s half delusional state his reaction was solid). These episodes are crammed too tightly.

Edit: Also loved that scene with Nynaeve and Liandrin addressing the man-hating thing. Very well done.

its HIM fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 3, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

its HIM posted:

^ Exactly what I was going to say.

Loial is good, given the constraints they’re under. In fact my non-book-reader roommate looked at me 30 seconds into his intro scene and said “this ogier guy is awesome.”

The scene where he suddenly shows up with Nynaeve was way too sudden though - and considering Mat and Rand both thought she was dead, there should have been more of a brouhaha on her appearance (at least from Rand; given Mat’s half delusional state his reaction was solid). These episodes are crammed too tightly.

I think it shows that reunion very well, and the fact that Loial keeps talking behind them while they're doing it just drives home how well the actor is channeling Loial.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

CainFortea posted:

I think it shows that reunion very well, and the fact that Loial keeps talking behind them while they're doing it just drives home how well the actor is channeling Loial.

Eh, a scene of Rand spilling his guts about his lost friends and how rough he's had it would have been welcome. Not exactly necessary, but it would have been a good button on their journey so far and given Loial a reason to go get her. The dialogue implied that that happened off screen, but it would have been nice to see it.

I kinda just want more Loial in general though so

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

CainsDescendant posted:

Eh, a scene of Rand spilling his guts about his lost friends and how rough he's had it would have been welcome. Not exactly necessary, but it would have been a good button on their journey so far and given Loial a reason to go get her. The dialogue implied that that happened off screen, but it would have been nice to see it.

I read some of the books but stopped years ago and I have been looking forward to Loial to show up but also afraid they might do it wrong. Glad they seem to have gotten it right so I'm definitely on board with wanting more Loial.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CainsDescendant posted:

I think Rand's face gives us a lot of that impact without having to say it. And they do kind of start doing that, but it gets cutoff when Nyneave sees Someone Who Needs To Be Healed.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Having slept on it I think my main problem with Loial was that the first scene felt really rushed like they were struggling to fit it into the episode so they were just rattling through the key lines as fast as possible and that's the complete opposite of what an Ogier should be. The bit with him rambling over Rand and Nynaeve's reunion was much better.

I also think the wig's a bit much

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

drat how does each episode keep getting better every week

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Rarity posted:

Having slept on it I think my main problem with Loial was that the first scene felt really rushed like they were struggling to fit it into the episode so they were just rattling through the key lines as fast as possible and that's the complete opposite of what an Ogier should be. The bit with him rambling over Rand and Nynaeve's reunion was much better.

I also think the wig's a bit much

Mostly agree, but the actor’s voice and demeanour are still really good. Detached scholar who’s also a big strong friend who will help you. The intonation, cadence and slightly alien delivery reminds me of Christopher Judge as Teal’c.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

We tend to think of kingdoms as strongly centralized and absolute, but that was very much a thing that grew out of the absolute poo poo-show that was the European wars of religion where mercenaries hired themselves out to rulers who had no professional military of their own, and they did more-or-less whatever they damned well pleased to anyone. Because who was going to stop them? The ruler who relied on them for a solid, professional core of soldiers to bolster his peasant levies? Organized, standing, professional armies are really loving expensive, and up until the mid-1600s almost no monarch could afford one. So they hired folk instead.

As such, the Whitecloaks mirror how the Knights of Malta, the Knights Templar, and Knights Hospitaller operated; Military religious organizations that held their own lands and fielded their own armies, outside the formal authority of secular rulers or power, beholden only to themselves and their own rules. And while the Knights Templar eventually met a really sticky end, other knightly orders exist to this day, even if they have become charitable organizations rather than an actual armed religious force.

And, of course, the showrunners are also adding in pretty much every witch-hunter and evil inquisitor-trope they can.

But the idea of an organization like the Whitecloaks, flouting established central authority and doing what it drat well pleases, is not nearly as far-fetched as you'd think. I mean, at the risk of getting political, a real-world semi-analogue of them just conquered Afghanistan.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 3, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is it just me or do Madeleine Madden and Marcus Rutherford have crazy amounts of chemistry?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

two things:

the cut of Loial intro to him bringing in Nynaeve was harsh, like literal editing mistake harsh. freshman film student harsh. fill that cut with 90 seconds of bullshit, anything would be less jarring

lan was more emotional at the funeral than stepin after the severed bond. the entire funeral made me think less of the strength of the bond between warder and aes sedai. it sucked and wasted time and did the opposite of what it intended i think

everything else was great

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Bad:

- No scene of Nynaeve meeting Loial was very jarring and cost us what could have been a neat moment.

- Literally nothing else

Especially Good:

- Loial. Yes. YES. GIVE US DUDES IN FUNNY SUITS WITH RUBBER FOREHEADS AND GOOFY GLOVES. I am DRINKING this.

- Loial again. He is exactly as rambling and don't-even-care-if-I'm-making-this-awkward as he should be.

- Contrasting funerals.

- More of Liandrin being actually a good character.

- Rand still coming across as the most normal and we'll-adjusted person on the team. :allears:

- Egwene: "Do it, motherfucker."

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

i say swears online posted:

two things:

the cut of Loial intro to him bringing in Nynaeve was harsh, like literal editing mistake harsh. freshman film student harsh. fill that cut with 90 seconds of bullshit, anything would be less jarring

lan was more emotional at the funeral than stepin after the severed bond. the entire funeral made me think less of the strength of the bond between warder and aes sedai. it sucked and wasted time and did the opposite of what it intended i think

everything else was great

Think you missed a bit in that scene. Lan was the designated griever, performatively and ceremonial mourning for everyone present.

Meanwhile, Stepin was all but emotionally dead. Look at him during the procession while he is leading the riderless horse, or when he gives the ring back to the Flame. The actor delivers the emotional devastation perfectly.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mazed posted:

- More of Liandrin being actually a good character.

THEY MADE ME LIKE LIANDRIN I AM SO MAD ABOUT THIS

Mazed posted:

- Egwene: "Do it, motherfucker."

Badass take no poo poo Egwene is the best Egwene

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gnoman posted:

Think you missed a bit in that scene. Lan was the designated griever, performatively and ceremonial mourning for everyone present.

Meanwhile, Stepin was all but emotionally dead. Look at him during the procession while he is leading the riderless horse, or when he gives the ring back to the Flame. The actor delivers the emotional devastation perfectly.

stepin was great, but I didn't care about the ceremony. it was a lil much for someone meant to be expendible, in character and creed

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

What Gnoman said, but also you seem to have the impression that suicides all stand around rending their clothes and weeping before they kill themselves. For me, Stepin's conversations with Nynaeve and Lan reminded me of the artist John Hicklenton. Diagnosed with an incurable degenerative illness, he finished his current book of work and went on holiday with a few friends. They spent the first morning sightseeing, John laughing and joking and eating ice cream, and then after a nice lunch he went to the Dignitas clinic. A lot of suicides are like that, when they've made the decision not to live any more; they seem perfectly normal almost up to the last, often setting out to do something they enjoyed one last time.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

stepin was great, but I didn't care about the ceremony. it was a lil much for someone meant to be expendible, in character and creed

yeah

it seems like he and his aes sedai were fridged just to show how deep bond moiraine and lan have

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah

it seems like he and his aes sedai were fridged just to show how deep bond moiraine and lan have

Fridging doesn't just mean any character death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Fridging is when a character (unfortunately usually a female love interest) is killed specifically to give another character motivation, Moraine and Lan don't need more motivation. This was to show the risk and the consequences of their Aes Sedai and Warder bond, as well as the general risk they have in their mission to find the Dragan Reborn. Every time Moraine is in danger so is Lan and for him it's even worse since her death by anything, be it a trolloc, a darkfriend, or even an accidental fall, will mean he will ultimately die too.