Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I asked in the gear thread but didn't get an answer so I thought I would ask here.

I have a D750 that has been great, but I've transitioned to live streaming and Youtube videos, and thought a it would be nice to have a high quality stream camera and better video. I haven't listed it or anything by KEH said the body and kit lens would be worth $830
What would you all recommend for a mirrorless in that price range? I am thinking about a sony A7s II and a lens used

I don't know anything about mirrorless cameras. having a viewfinder that I I can see while sitting in front of the camera would be nice. I've had a couple good takes ruined because it turns our half my head was cut off or something

Something Panasonic. You can get a new G7 and a lens or two for that budget. Hard to find a better 4K capable video camera for less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

I asked in the gear thread but didn't get an answer so I thought I would ask here.

I have a D750 that has been great, but I've transitioned to live streaming and Youtube videos, and thought a it would be nice to have a high quality stream camera and better video. I haven't listed it or anything by KEH said the body and kit lens would be worth $830
What would you all recommend for a mirrorless in that price range? I am thinking about a sony A7s II and a lens used

I don't know anything about mirrorless cameras. having a viewfinder that I I can see while sitting in front of the camera would be nice. I've had a couple good takes ruined because it turns our half my head was cut off or something

Do you have a capture device that you can use to get video over HDMI onto your stream, or are you looking for the camera to work like a webcam over USB? I ask, because Sony’s support for that has been a little rocky.

For the a7s ii in particular (and I think everything since that generation), you can use their application Imaging Edge Webcam, but it requires a driver that may act funky, especially with an M1 Mac. You also won’t get a full flip out screen on that model for monitoring yourself.

If you want a Sony that has a full flippy screen and can be used as a class compliant USB camera (with the latest firmware), the ZV-1 is kinda their vlogging camera, but it’s not an interchangeable lens situation.

Their forthcoming a7 IV has a flippy screen, proper USB support and is a full frame ILC, but we’re getting into much higher price territory at that point.

I don’t know anything about non-Sony cameras.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Thanks for the response. I hadn't really considered Panasonic and that G7 goes really seem like it would fit my use case.

Is it worth spending more on the Sony for the larger sensor make sense, or is that just a waste of money?
I could swing a used A7s 2 and a tamron 28mm or something if it makes sense.

Edit: I do have a capture card to use, but I was hoping just run USB because it's much easier

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 14, 2021

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Instead of a flippy screen, if you're using a camera for video purposes and mostly stationary, you can always consider an external video monitor that hooks up via HDMI. They're bigger (5-7") and run $100-200 for a completely usable affordable version. Way better then trying to look at the tiny camera screen from a reasonable distance away.

Plus with an HDMI connection, you can move the monitor to where you need it within reason. I love Sony but that's personal preference.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What are you doing with the camera? That’d help with giving advice on what to get. Is it just to use as a webcam/steam, or ??

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
The main reason is for youtube videos. I shoot a video once a week and that is where my D750 is coming up short. Its not bad, just not great.
It would be an additional webcam, so that my c920 could perhaps provide an off angle or something so that is just a bonus.
I do still plan on taking photos of my kids and dogs so that is why I'm not considering a video camera.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The main reason is for youtube videos. I shoot a video once a week and that is where my D750 is coming up short. Its not bad, just not great.
It would be an additional webcam, so that my c920 could perhaps provide an off angle or something so that is just a bonus.
I do still plan on taking photos of my kids and dogs so that is why I'm not considering a video camera.

I think the Panasonic recommendation plus

Verman posted:

Instead of a flippy screen, if you're using a camera for video purposes and mostly stationary, you can always consider an external video monitor that hooks up via HDMI. They're bigger (5-7") and run $100-200 for a completely usable affordable version. Way better then trying to look at the tiny camera screen from a reasonable distance away.

Plus with an HDMI connection, you can move the monitor to where you need it within reason. I love Sony but that's personal preference.

an external viewing monitor would make sense for your use case, especially if it's $100-200 for a decent one. Most of the major mirrorless cameras out now have HDMI out, so should be able to support that (even the Fujifilm I have includes HDMI out, so it's very common)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Just got an X-T4, any default settings I should go and change right away?

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

harperdc posted:

I think the Panasonic recommendation plus

an external viewing monitor would make sense for your use case, especially if it's $100-200 for a decent one. Most of the major mirrorless cameras out now have HDMI out, so should be able to support that (even the Fujifilm I have includes HDMI out, so it's very common)

I will go with the G7 then. Thanks thread. I'm the kinda person looking for a reason to spend more, so I appreciate the help in actually saving for once lol

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

The A7sII viewfinder isn't fully articulated, mind. I think it does the same degree of articulation that the D750 does (and you lose a decent amount of resolution for photos when you do do them.)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Traded in a 40/2 ultron for 250€, and for 250€ more cash got the 35/1.4 DG DN, slightly used. No difference from new as far as I can see. Took some test photos with it. The lens needs the Haoge 67mm rectangular lens hood, I left the huge stock lens hood home. It's as big as the 85/1.4 DG DN hood, which means absolutely ridicously large. Haoge makes bayonet hoods for 35/2 and 65/2 contemporary lenses, but for other lenses I've had to buy the screw-in rectangular lens hoods.

Apparently the same team made this and 85/1.4 DG DN. Build quality is the same and bokeh looks very smooth with the 35/1.4 DG DN too. Only faults are big size and big hood. The 35/1.4 DG DN is actually larger than 85/1.4 DG DN... I think heavier too.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Traded in a 40/2 ultron for 250€, and for 250€ more cash got the 35/1.4 DG DN, slightly used. No difference from new as far as I can see. Took some test photos with it. The lens needs the Haoge 67mm rectangular lens hood, I left the huge stock lens hood home. It's as big as the 85/1.4 DG DN hood, which means absolutely ridicously large. Haoge makes bayonet hoods for 35/2 and 65/2 contemporary lenses, but for other lenses I've had to buy the screw-in rectangular lens hoods.

Apparently the same team made this and 85/1.4 DG DN. Build quality is the same and bokeh looks very smooth with the 35/1.4 DG DN too. Only faults are big size and big hood. The 35/1.4 DG DN is actually larger than 85/1.4 DG DN... I think heavier too.

I also have a 35/1.4 DG DN in the mail for delivery tomorrow.
Picked up the 105/1.4 HSM to go with it. It's a beast but puts out some insane photos so I'm satisfied.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Lily Catts posted:

Just got an X-T4, any default settings I should go and change right away?

I got the Smallright grip and L-bracket grip, because I find the normal grip way too small. Using back button focus because it's what I'm used to.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have a Fuji X100F and I’m considering diving deeper into Fuji to compliment my Nikon habit.

If I bought a XT30 with a entry lens, is it comparable to the F100 in quality? Which lenses are best bang for the buck?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Brrrmph posted:

I have a Fuji X100F and I’m considering diving deeper into Fuji to compliment my Nikon habit.

If I bought a XT30 with a entry lens, is it comparable to the F100 in quality? Which lenses are best bang for the buck?

I've only recently gone to Fuji myself (X-S10) and the only lens I have right now is the 16-80 f4 so I've got nothing to compare it to. Whether you consider it to be an entry lens I'm not sure - it comes as a kit with the X-S10 but it costs $800 new. You might be able to find a used one though.

That said, if you're looking for a general purpose walkabout lens it's hard to beat. It can be a little soft wide open at the 16mm end and it's pretty heavy, but you get a really nice range of focal lengths. Obviously being f4 the low light performance suffers a bit - the lens does have OIS to help compensate for static shots, and on the X-S10 this is boosted further by the really solid in-body stabilization. You also can't get the super shallow DoF you can get from an f2.8 or wider lens, although at the narrow end you can still get some nice separation at f4.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Brrrmph posted:

16mm 1.4 - This lens is incredible. Don't skip it.
50mm 2.0 - Value for money.
35mm 2.0 - Value for money.
23mm 2.0 - Value for money but not as beloved by some.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

frytechnician posted:

16mm 1.4 - This lens is incredible. Don't skip it.
50mm 2.0 - Value for money.
35mm 2.0 - Value for money.

16 2.8 - Value for money.
18-55 2.8-4 - Extreme value for money if you’re looking used in the United States

Get that X-T30, go get some glass and have fun, that thing will be a wizard and only kinda struggle with sports or action at a push.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

frytechnician posted:

The 23mm f2 is my most used prime of the few I have, when I travel light I bring that and the kit lens. It may not be everyone's favorite but I like it.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I just bought an Oly 12-100 with my Xmas / art sales money and drat this thing is a beast! I can't wait to try it in actual light. On one hand I feel like a rube buying further into a dying format, but at the same time I am excited to have it as a one lens solution; especially for back country hikes/ camping. It will be perfect to use if I get to go on my planned vacations in 2022. If not, I guess I will get the sexiest drat shots of cardinals at the bird feeder you ever did see!

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
My father-in-law travels frequently and likes to take a lot of photos, but he's still using a Canon T2i. That camera is pretty ancient now, so I want to get him an upgrade. He doesn't know much about photography, so he rarely touches any settings and shoots jpegs only, but I know he appreciates having a decent sensor size for prints.

It seems like many manufacturers have reasonable options, so I'm not even sure where to start. Is there a generally recommended best entry-level mirrorless camera nowadays?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

runawayturtles posted:

My father-in-law travels frequently and likes to take a lot of photos, but he's still using a Canon T2i. That camera is pretty ancient now, so I want to get him an upgrade. He doesn't know much about photography, so he rarely touches any settings and shoots jpegs only, but I know he appreciates having a decent sensor size for prints.

It seems like many manufacturers have reasonable options, so I'm not even sure where to start. Is there a generally recommended best entry-level mirrorless camera nowadays?

Any more modern sensor would probably be a nice upgrade. I think the best thing you could do here would be to get a modern camera that is most similar to his current one in terms of form factor and controls (EOS M50?). Don’t give the gift of having to learn some thing new.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tk posted:

Any more modern sensor would probably be a nice upgrade. I think the best thing you could do here would be to get a modern camera that is most similar to his current one in terms of form factor and controls (EOS M50?). Don’t give the gift of having to learn some thing new.

I'd go even close to the original and just get him a Canon 80D, let him keep his existing lenses.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

torgeaux posted:

I'd go even close to the original and just get him a Canon 80D, let him keep his existing lenses.

I’m not sure I’d suggest anyone get a sub-5D/1D level DSLR in 2021/2022. I’m not sure somebody still with a T2i has any lenses worth bringing up.

M50 would be good, the Canon genes are strong and those are perfectly fine for anybody in that use case.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Yeah, I'm not certain but I think he's still using the kit lens... I don't think he ever bought any others.

I'm in the Fuji ecosystem so was considering something there, but Fuji tends to have more manual controls, and I think you guys are right that it's better to not make him learn something brand new. I'll take a look at the M50.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
If he's still using the kit lens with his T2i, it's unlikely he'll be bothered by using a 80D in 2022. It's still a nice upgrade, and he'll likely get years of use out of it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I have joined the Cult of the Mirrorless.

Just got a Fuji X-Pro3. I am excite.

I used to shoot a lot of DSLR about 10 years ago and got fed up. I picked up 35mm film as a hobby last year. Fell in love with an old Leica my dad gave me. Opted for the X-Pro3 over the x100 as I wanted lens options. That said, I almost got an X100 - I’ve borrowed a friends’ a few times.

I also picked up the M mount adapter so I can try the Leica lenses on it. We’ll see if it’s worth the trouble. For Fuji lenses, I got the XF 18mm f/2 and the XF 35mm f/1.4. I don’t do much shooting beyond 35mm and 50mm full frame and those two are close-ish to that while sharing the same filter diameter.

Trip report soon.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Sony chat:

So far I have the f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, the 55-210 tallboy for moons and zooms, a Ttartisan 35mm 1.4 (holy smokes that binging with babish video look), the phenomenal 50mm 1.8 for product photography and bokeh bonanzas, 3 garbage A-mount lenses (a sigma zoom, a minolta zoom, and a 35mm Sony A) I got for $25 at a pawn shop, and just today I bought the 18-105 f/4 G for astro and future video stuff (lot of kitchen production video so I wanted something that can do the "film look" with the camera doing most of the work automatically)

And now I'm already itching to get that Sigma 30mm f/1.4

e: this is all running on a ZV-E10 which is just silly high quality for the price

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

The Sony 200-600 f5.6-6.3 is amazing for the price as well. It's the first long zoom I've ever owned that is great at both ends of the range.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Thanks for the Fujifilm advice itt. I’m pulling the trigger on selling my X100F and getting an X-T30 with the 15-45 kit lens to try out before I invest in any other glass.

I do have a fair amount of Nikon glass that I’ve accumulated over the past 15 years. Does anyone have experience with an adapter to use Nikon glass on a Fuji? There seem to be a number of them online with mixed reviews and the adapters themselves cost almost as much as a cheap prime, so it may not be worth it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Brrrmph posted:

Thanks for the Fujifilm advice itt. I’m pulling the trigger on selling my X100F and getting an X-T30 with the 15-45 kit lens to try out before I invest in any other glass.

I do have a fair amount of Nikon glass that I’ve accumulated over the past 15 years. Does anyone have experience with an adapter to use Nikon glass on a Fuji? There seem to be a number of them online with mixed reviews and the adapters themselves cost almost as much as a cheap prime, so it may not be worth it.

I used to run a Nikon DSLR setup. Before I sold it, I did try some of the lenses on a Fuji body - I wanna say X-T1 or X-T10. I did not find the results particularly worthwhile.

When I got back into the hobby with Fuji, I ended up just picking the most common prime lengths in Fuji I wanted (28mm equivalent, 50mm equivalent, and ~85-90mm equivalent).

Frankly, I think Fuji makes better glass than Nikon.

edit: make timeline clearer

rufius fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 26, 2022

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I’m almost there with my Fuji kit. 70-300 and 35/2. Now just need to pull trigger on 18/1.4.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I’m almost there with my Fuji kit. 70-300 and 35/2. Now just need to pull trigger on 18/1.4.

Is the 70-300 worth it? I’m eyeing it hard as I’ve got some nice parks with birbs around that I wanna take pictures of.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rufius posted:

Is the 70-300 worth it? I’m eyeing it hard as I’ve got some nice parks with birbs around that I wanna take pictures of.

I like mine a lot. I was pleasantly surprised at how sharp it was.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The 70-300 is pretty good; I use it for casual bird/wildlife and have no complaints. It’s not the 100-400 but it’s less than half the cost and it is compatible with TCs.

But even if you wanted to get one it seems like they’re always out of stock at the major retailers.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
So happy to see Sigma releasing lenses for the Fujifilm X-mount. What I really want to see them release is one of their macro lenses for the X-mount, since Fuji’s offerings aren’t all that good or way overpriced. My Fujifilm 60mm does not fill the hole I have in my hearth after selling my Sigma 105mm I had on my old Nikon camera

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’m also very happy Sigma is in the game. I just have the 15-45 right now as I just got a T30 and I’m going to wait to see if Sigma releases anything else the next year or so. I would like a 135mm equivalent. $950 for the Fuji 90mm with no image stabilization is over my budget.

On that note, it seems that Fuji has image stabilization in their zoom lenses but not in most their primes. Why is that?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s pretty common across the industry. Primes wider than, say, 100mm don’t often have IS. There’s a few exceptions of course, like the Tamron 35mm. It’s less necessary for wider lenses and if you skip it you can make the lenses smaller/cheaper/simpler.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

More cheap Fuji lenses would be good because I know I'm eventually going to fall off the X100 wagon, probably around when the X-pro 4 comes out [provided they make the screen less stupid].

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I wish camera companies would realise the benefit of 3rd party lenses like Sony did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

On that note, it seems that Fuji has image stabilization in their zoom lenses but not in most their primes. Why is that?

You can make the primes fast enough to not really need it?