Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Lin Wood is going nuts on telegram and just doxxed hunter biden and tucker carlson (contact info as of 2014).

The reason Carlson was reaching out to Hunter:
https://twitter.com/rothschildmd/status/1466563575619600388

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Democrats have given up trying to even get themselves re-elected, why should anyone loving phone bank for them to do anything? Find a group that actually fights, maybe one that can force some action out of the Democrats. Supporting the actual party apparatus is like giving up, but also setting your money on fire at the same time.

drat but what group is there that does that? There isn't and this isn't the time to screw around throwing your vote away so that's why you need to vote for Nancy Pelosi

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
pretending that the democrats are anything other than a speed bump for our trip to hell is laughably naïve

voting doesn't stop fascism

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Guitars stops fascism, duh

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
No government shutdown!

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1466594136845336578

until the debt ceiling in two weeks

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cugel the Clever posted:

High gas prices are also a good thing. Good luck convincing terminally car-brained Americans if that, though.

We need less gas subsidization to further encourage the transition from ICE vehicles, plus an updated vehicle-miles-traveled tax to replace the gas tax to account for the transition to electric. A lot of localities fund their transit and road maintenance via gas tax, so things will start starving as more and more electrics take to the road (and electric cars are heavy as poo poo, adding to road maintenance concerns).

Last time gas prices were this nutty people couldn't sell their lovely giant trucks fast enough. I suppose a decade+ of CULTURE WAR has made the idiot class even more intransigent than they used to be and I have no clue if that'll happen again

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Zamujasa posted:

voting doesn't stop fascism

This is just loving asinine. How do you think Mussolini's original fascists got into power? They got elected. What did the Nazis do? They got elected while the communists and social democrats tore each other to pieces. Voting is often the only defense against fascism, because after they win they pull up the ladder and make it impossible to dislodge them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Last time gas prices were this nutty people couldn't sell their lovely giant trucks fast enough. I suppose a decade+ of CULTURE WAR has made the idiot class even more intransigent than they used to be and I have no clue if that'll happen again

There’s a car shortage so while I’m sure a lot of people are regretting their F-250 King Ranch Edition, there aren’t a lot of affordable options to replace them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is just loving asinine. How do you think Mussolini's original fascists got into power? They got elected. What did the Nazis do? They got elected while the communists and social democrats tore each other to pieces. Voting is often the only defense against fascism, because after they win they pull up the ladder and make it impossible to dislodge them.

Worth noting in the Nazis case: They were going to LOSE the election, Hindenburg and the Reichstag thought they could control Hitler and the Nazis by giving them power, which was loving stupid. Then Hindenburg sat back and let the Nazis burn the Reichstag and pass the enabling act.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Acebuckeye13 posted:

yes, exactly

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Zamujasa posted:

yes, exactly

Which is why you don't let them get into power in the first place when your vote still loving matters

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I'm afraid I have some bad news about the US, then

E: specifically the constant and continual erosion of civil rights, incl. voting rights.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Zamujasa posted:

I'm afraid I have some bad news about the US, then

We still have elections that matter and it's bullshit to say otherwise.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Like, is poo poo bad now? Absolutely. But many things still have the capacity to get better. But they'll only get better if people remain engaged and, yes, vote - because the alternative is that the fascists get into power and make things a whole hell of a lot worse for a whole hell of a lot of people, and at this point they're not going to let themselves get voted out.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Saying that elections don't matter right now directly feeds into fascist victories. If they didn't, the fash wouldn't be trying so loving hard to keep their opponents from voting. Some folks on the left are so eager to demarcate themselves from liberals that they'll fall for blatant fash psyops intended to undermine their opposition.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Attn: Duzzy Funlop, the cops are onto your fuzzy bug scheme.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I'm not saying that voting doesn't matter, it absolutely does. I'm just saying that it is not going to stop what's going on. It'll slow it down, maybe it'll give the US time to somehow unfuck itself, but no amount of checking boxes next to (D)s is going to solve things when we've allowed the system to get as corrupt as it has.

Money buys politicians and the wealthiest and shittiest have been getting more of that faster than we've been getting votes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The problem with US politics is that the Republicans are willing to do anything to win, up to and including supporting a failed coup attempt now (or denying it was anything more than some "very patriotic people who just wanted to be heard"), whereas the Democratic leadership has decided that their only winning strategy is waiting for populist waves to carry them to occasional majorities.

...which they promptly squander, in the past due to "bipartisanship" and now because of active dysfunction, infighting, and overtly blatant sabotage. Nothing will ever get done in this country if we have to wait 12-16 loving years for every major sociopolitical shift. I used to envy the Parliamentary system because at least with Prime Ministers there's someone who has to ~go away~ when government ceases working, but now even THAT'S hosed.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Okay, your two examples, how did they get out of power?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Well, in Mussolini's case he hung out at a gas station, just straight chillin'.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Acebuckeye13 posted:

We still have elections that matter and it's bullshit to say otherwise.

No we loving don't lmao

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CainFortea posted:

An apocalyptic war that left tens of millions dead and the continent devastated. Hence the importance of keeping open fascists out of power!

Zamujasa posted:

I'm not saying that voting doesn't matter, it absolutely does. I'm just saying that it is not going to stop what's going on. It'll slow it down, maybe it'll give the US time to somehow unfuck itself, but no amount of checking boxes next to (D)s is going to solve things when we've allowed the system to get as corrupt as it has.

Money buys politicians and the wealthiest and shittiest have been getting more of that faster than we've been getting votes.

It's absolutely fair to be pessimistic. It's honestly hard not to be these days.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

...maybe it'll give the US time to somehow unfuck itself...

The moment the average American citizen feels what it's like to be truly hungry for the first time in their lives is the day we cast all pretense aside of still being a democratic nation, and that moment is coming sooner than we all expect or want it (really looking forward to making friends in line for the grocery store at 3am to have a chance of getting enough food to last the week), and there isn't a goddamned thing either political party can do to stop it. But one of them will be perfectly willing to "make the hard choices" and make the rest of the world suffer in exchange for keeping a privileged populace cowed with some semblance of creature comforts in exchange for their political enshrinement.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
the last president is directly responsible for abortion not being available in about 1/3 of the country and people are still saying elections don't matter because ???? what exactly? The mentality that everything hasn't been fixed so nothing matters is such a lazy and entitled approach to life that it's no wonder that it's taken such deep root in a dying forum for middle aged sadsacks.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'm usually pretty sanguine about supporting the lesser of two evils even if there isn't really a good choice, especially given the nature of a two-party system, but it's hard not to be cynical in the face of this perfect encapsulation of absolute loving worthlessness:

https://twitter.com/dscc/status/1466085902208450564

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Grip it and rip it posted:

the last president is directly responsible for abortion not being available in about 1/3 of the country and people are still saying elections don't matter because ???? what exactly? The mentality that everything hasn't been fixed so nothing matters is such a lazy and entitled approach to life that it's no wonder that it's taken such deep root in a dying forum for middle aged sadsacks.

Well now senate dems have a call to action about abortion and the opportunity to show the incredulous what they're willing to attempt to get abortion codified. I doubt yelling "Give us money and vote us into power 2022" is going to prove anything to them and I personally wouldn't be surprised if even a weird D super majority comes about that you wouldn't have random centrist d's navel gazing about decorum and states rights and tyranny of the majority

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Well now senate dems have a call to action about abortion and the opportunity to show the incredulous what they're willing to attempt to get abortion codified. I doubt yelling "Give us money and vote us into power 2022" is going to prove anything to them and I personally wouldn't be surprised if even a weird D super majority comes about that you wouldn't have random centrist d's navel gazing about decorum and states rights.

And the Republicans will be able to pander to their base about accomplishing something they've been working towards for ~50 years while being the "minority party" if/when Roe dies, followed by 20+ individual "victories" in red state after red state.

And what's worse, Trump will actually be able to validly claim HE made it happen.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm usually pretty sanguine about supporting the lesser of two evils even if there isn't really a good choice, especially given the nature of a two-party system, but it's hard not to be cynical in the face of this perfect encapsulation of absolute loving worthlessness:

https://twitter.com/dscc/status/1466085902208450564
I'm not grasping what is turning this tweet into such a lightning rod. Folks seem to be pretending that this one tweet is the sum total of the Democrat's effort to protect abortion rights? Or that it's not entirely accurate that electing more Democrats (who aren't wolves-in-sheep's-clothing like Sinema or legacy blue dogs in otherwise solidly red seats like Manchin) could have avoided GOP control of Congress at key junctures? It's just one dumb succinct catchphrase on a platform suited to little more than dumb succinct catchphrases. What am I missing?

If the "lol, voting don't matter" folks were instead saying "voting is a bare minimum requirement toward effecting meaningful change; work to win hearts and minds; get active locally and make a difference where you can," that would be great! But just griping not only sounds like folks haven't gotten out from behind their computers in far too long, but are actively discouraging others from doing anything to change the situation.

The institutional Dems absolutely bear a ton of fault for their failures, it just seems many critiques amount to counterproductive, if cathartic, mockery.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 3, 2021

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
in case you somehow missed it the democrats currently control the senate (50+1 - 50), house (221-213), and the executive branch.

they could, you know, pass abortion rights. right now.

e:

dems: we control the legislative and executive branches of government.
people: great do something with it
dems: no

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

No, the current split in the Senate is 48D/50R/2O. Manchin and Sinema belong to the Opportunists, a new political party that will be with us in perpetuity until everything burns. It won't be them forever, but rest assured people will follow their example.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

There's always a list of reasons why democrats can't do the things they "really want" to do when they're in power. Strangely, republicans stuffer few of those same constraints when they have their turns in power.

Remember when dems were all saying "gee whiz the parlimentarian, a position that you've probably never heard of before and has no actual power, is preventing us from doing what we really want? Aw shucks." That was a classic.

The "manchin and sinema are unmovable" excuse relies on the assumption that those two are taking an unshakable, moral stand and can't be bought off, which is a pretty tough one to believe imo. "We need sinema's vote, but doggone, her earnest, genuine principles keep getting in the way. We're stuck!"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Dems want my vote to protect Roe? Where the gently caress have they been for the last 50 years on protecting Roe? Activists have been screaming about exactly this happening longer than I've been alive. Now I'm supposed to believe they'll do anything? Pick any god drat time you want when they had however many seats you think is the magic amount and let their actions prove what they're worth.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
"A man attended an NHS casualty unit with an artillery shell lodged in his rectum" - Amazingly he "tripped and fell on it"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10270067/Man-seeks-medical-help-artillery-shell-lodged-rectum.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Rectum?

drat near killed ’em.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So I'm reading this as voting is a way to put fascists into power which so far has checked out over the course of my lifetime.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bird food bathtub posted:

Dems want my vote to protect Roe? Where the gently caress have they been for the last 50 years on protecting Roe? Activists have been screaming about exactly this happening longer than I've been alive. Now I'm supposed to believe they'll do anything? Pick any god drat time you want when they had however many seats you think is the magic amount and let their actions prove what they're worth.

Roe, immigration, etc.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Platystemon posted:

Rectum?

drat near killed ’em.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Baconroll posted:

"A man attended an NHS casualty unit with an artillery shell lodged in his rectum" - Amazingly he "tripped and fell on it"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10270067/Man-seeks-medical-help-artillery-shell-lodged-rectum.html

What great fortune he tripped and fell on a tube of lube beforehand

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

What great fortune he tripped and fell on a tube of lube beforehand

The lube he fell on:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No, the current split in the Senate is 48D/50R/2O. Manchin and Sinema belong to the Opportunists, a new political party that will be with us in perpetuity until everything burns. It won't be them forever, but rest assured people will follow their example.

New? Joe Lieberman's name ring any bells? There are a lot of good Democrats. I gave money and voted so that one of them (Cori Bush) is now in Congress. But there are, and always have been, enough lovely Democrats who will stop everything up because they don't give a poo poo about anything but their portfolio and/or face on the news. And there will be until everything burns because to get power you need money so the Democratic Party as an institution is controlled by these sort of people.

Best Friends posted:

There's always a list of reasons why democrats can't do the things they "really want" to do when they're in power. Strangely, republicans stuffer few of those same constraints when they have their turns in power.

Remember when dems were all saying "gee whiz the parlimentarian, a position that you've probably never heard of before and has no actual power, is preventing us from doing what we really want? Aw shucks." That was a classic.

The "manchin and sinema are unmovable" excuse relies on the assumption that those two are taking an unshakable, moral stand and can't be bought off, which is a pretty tough one to believe imo. "We need sinema's vote, but doggone, her earnest, genuine principles keep getting in the way. We're stuck!"

To be fair, the Republicans took as long to pass their one constant wish , tax cuts for the rich, as the Democrats just took to pass an infrastructure bill. And they never were able to repeal the ACA. They have these problems, too.