Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Niric posted:

:woop: congrats both!
7 weeks here and it's still very weird and exhausting but rewarding

Congratulations lad and to all new goon parents. Good to hear the left is growing.

Mine are two and five now, can barely remember the times I used to be able to hold them in one hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Convex posted:

Voting rights need to be restored to prisoners. Everyone living in the country gets a vote, that's how it works, otherwise it's a sham.

Voting rights need to be restricted from pensioners.

Also TIL Apex Twin's sister is not only a Labour MP, she's in the Shadow Cabinet.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Gonzo McFee posted:

Also TIL Apex Twin's sister is not only a Labour MP, she's in the Shadow Cabinet.

I thought the person screaming "I want your soul" was Mandy but seems I stand corrected.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Would that be Aphex' Fraternal Twin

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Gonzo McFee posted:

lmao she's my MS, I did not know that. She's a Welsh Government Minister, not Shadow Cabinet.

She did a helpful thing once wrt a local pro-Kurd/anti-Turkey campaign a few years ago, other than that I think she's pretty typical Welsh Labour (i.e. soft-left liberal melt but better than the PLP)

e: googling it she supported OMOV for Welsh leadership elections back when it was on the table in 2018, which is the measure of A Good 'Un round here imo

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 3, 2021

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Brexit metaphor of the day…

https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1466696225193922563

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1466730396691976195

lmao Keith is surrounded by people who manipulate him with ease.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Kier Starmer: somehow worse than Ed Miliband

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

The same Human Rights Watch that's run by a former federal prosecutor and pushes for US sanctions against Nicaragua and Venezuela and supported the far-right coup in Bolivia, you mean?

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Borrovan posted:

lmao she's my MS, I did not know that. She's a Welsh Government Minister, not Shadow Cabinet.

She did a helpful thing once wrt a local pro-Kurd/anti-Turkey campaign a few years ago, other than that I think she's pretty typical Welsh Labour (i.e. soft-left liberal melt but better than the PLP)

e: googling it she supported OMOV for Welsh leadership elections back when it was on the table in 2018, which is the measure of A Good 'Un round here imo

Also she's responsible for implementing TAN15 which is going to be hilarious for all the reactions it's causing to by the councils that love giving big business, big ugly buildings.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

crispix posted:

if you take a moment to think about it it's probably not a good idea to add the mental and physiological turmoil of sudden withdrawal to people who are locked up in a prison

Again, to tories they're not people

E ah, my point has already been made!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

Remember when Michael Gove wanted to get rid of prison books as well. It's all about the cruelty. 'Rehabilitation' is the public justification and nothing more.

therattle posted:

This is an even worse policy than depriving prisoners of books.
I read an interesting thing last month about the false logic of 'risk compensation' and how it provided an ideal argument to the reflexively anti-everything brigade for everything from "I don't want to wear a seatbelt" in the 70s to "I don't want to wear a mask" last year, and how that ties into the reactionary mindset of "actually welfare increases poverty because" and "actually birth control increases unwanted pregnancy" and so on, and you can see very similar bad arguments in this plan.

Very similar in that they all start with "but I don't like..." and work backwards, but also because as in many of those cases the thing they don't actually like is other people and society.

57mm, so 2¼"

That's a loving 6 pounder or something :stonk:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Borrovan posted:

e: ^^^ my partner's done a whole bunch of research into the psychology of prison wardens that can be summarised as "Basically They're Just Cunts", wishful thinking imo

imo this is one of those situations where writing off sources as being "too Western" just leads to tankiedom. Very few sources beneath state-level actors even have the means to investigate, and state-level actors have such a vested interest in the issue that they're pretty much gonna dominate the discourse. But what's the alternative, trusting the Chinese state? The key is to recognise the inherent bias in every source, look at the methodology &c, & accept that there is going to be some uncertainty. There's a bunch of iirc publicly accessible information like satellite imagery & first-hand accounts to show that there is definitely a bunch of heinous poo poo going on, but I don't think much more than that can be said with certainty.

I totally agree with that (and with the assessment of prison officers. I have always wondered who the hell becomes one, unless people are just desperate for work) . But I wasn't the one asking for non-Western sources. That's why I mentioned first-0hand accounts in the NYer piece and the report referred to in the ALJ article which was based on scraping publicly-available Chinese sources.

Cookie Cutter posted:

The same Human Rights Watch that's run by a former federal prosecutor and pushes for US sanctions against Nicaragua and Venezuela and supported the far-right coup in Bolivia, you mean?

I guess so. it appears that they have since acknowledged that there was a coup in Bolivia. Even if you think they are biased that doesn't automatically disqualify their reporting. It just means it should be taken with a pinch of salt. But if they are so untrustworthy and biased I suppose you therefore also discount their characterisation of Israel's policies towards Palestinians as apartheid?

Guavanaut posted:

I read an interesting thing last month about the false logic of 'risk compensation' and how it provided an ideal argument to the reflexively anti-everything brigade for everything from "I don't want to wear a seatbelt" in the 70s to "I don't want to wear a mask" last year, and how that ties into the reactionary mindset of "actually welfare increases poverty because" and "actually birth control increases unwanted pregnancy" and so on, and you can see very similar bad arguments in this plan.

Very similar in that they all start with "but I don't like..." and work backwards, but also because as in many of those cases the thing they don't actually like is other people and society.

57mm, so 2¼"

That's a very interesting article, thanks.

And that shell gives a new meaning to explosive orgasm.

therattle fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 3, 2021

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Gonzo McFee posted:

lmao Keith is surrounded by people who manipulate him with ease.

#freeKeir

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

domhal posted:

#freeKeir

Oh, that reminds me, my parents in South Africa recently asked me what I thought about Keith Starmer.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

therattle posted:

I guess so. it appears that they have since acknowledged that there was a coup in Bolivia. Even if you think they are biased that doesn't automatically disqualify their reporting. It just means it should be taken with a pinch of salt. But if they are so untrustworthy and biased I suppose you therefore also discount their characterisation of Israel's policies towards Palestinians as apartheid?

You can make whatever assumptions you like about what I believe, but if that's how you choose to engage then don't expect a reply.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

therattle posted:

(and with the assessment of prison officers. I have always wondered who the hell becomes one, unless people are just desperate for work)
My partner's interviewed a lot of them, and has met nice ones, who without exception have been (a)new hires, (b)who were desperate for work, and (c)absolutely miserable in their jobs, so (d)either about to quit or working out their notice.

The rest of them are just petty vindictive tyrants, the kind of people who just want to push people around & feel superior to them. The ones in charge are the worst, there's a whole culture of rewarding people who go the extra mile in arbitrarily making life lovely for the prisoners. Can't go into any detail as there's very few people with her exact research interests, but trust me it's bad, especially wrt treatment of vulnerable prisoners.

It's a bit like the whole self-correcting corollary to ACAB, that in the unlikely event of a good person accidentally becoming a police they either stop being a police or stop being a good person.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Cookie Cutter posted:

You can make whatever assumptions you like about what I believe, but if that's how you choose to engage then don't expect a reply.

Fair enough; I was a bit pissy. In that case, what is your take on their assessment of the Uighur situation, since that is the subject at hand? Or are they simply an unreliable source, in your view? if so, I don't know how one can make any kind of assessment of what is going on.

Borrovan posted:

My partner's interviewed a lot of them, and has met nice ones, who without exception have been (a)new hires, (b)who were desperate for work, and (c)absolutely miserable in their jobs, so (d)either about to quit or working out their notice.

The rest of them are just petty vindictive tyrants, the kind of people who just want to push people around & feel superior to them. The ones in charge are the worst, there's a whole culture of rewarding people who go the extra mile in arbitrarily making life lovely for the prisoners. Can't go into any detail as there's very few people with her exact research interests, but trust me it's bad, especially wrt treatment of vulnerable prisoners.

It's a bit like the whole self-correcting corollary to ACAB, that in the unlikely event of a good person accidentally becoming a police they either stop being a police or stop being a good person.

Unfortunately this is not at all surprising.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

therattle posted:

I totally agree with that (and with the assessment of prison officers. I have always wondered who the hell becomes one, unless people are just desperate for work) .

Anecdotally, my former housemate. Who also was a special constable previously, and now is a tube driver. He lasted about two and a half months on active duty in the prison service- the picture he painted of conditions was loving terrifying, both for staff and prisoners.

Quite how a Belgian dude who literally has never owned a toothbrush and showers maybe once a month managed to get into not one but two uniformed services I will leave as an exercise for the reader.

Edit:

quote:

This would track. At the time he owed me over 14k in back rent, had been unemployed for years and was absolutely desperate.

Despite his disgusting personal habits he’s actually a good guy at heart, and did genuinely do his best to help out the people who he was responsible for, and was pretty well regarded by most of them. He however ended up stuck alone at the wrong end of the prison during a riot due to chronic understaffing, after which he justifiably said ‘gently caress this’.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 3, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Oh I absolutely didn’t mean they’d refuse out of some principal or humanity. Obviously screws are horrible bastards. I more meant the logistics and hassle of having to deal with it, rather than any sort of empathy they might feel. Lots of making GBS threads, vomiting, seizures etc. that would probably interrupt a perfectly good day of abusing slightly less messy inmates.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Yeah fair point, but otoh: fully sanctioned plausibly deniable torture, what's not to love

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I see Hodge has said she will step down at the next election.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Yeah fair point, but otoh: fully sanctioned plausibly deniable torture, what's not to love

This is true. Withdrawals don’t even leave bruises!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Plenty of drugs come in through the guards anyway - they may not mind this too much at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/dfb1714b-4caa-4c87-8d66-3891ed77d5a8

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jakabite posted:

Withdrawals don’t even leave bruises!
Well there had to be some downside :screwsay:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Two of my mum's siblings worked in the prison service, her sister and her brother. They are both good people, who have real empathy and speak with respect about the people who used to be under their care. Used to be, because they both quit very early after the job completely destroyed their mental and physical health. And they both have horrifying and predictable things to say about some of the folk they worked alongside.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Screws are every failing in the police system except they don't even have to tell the lie that they're protecting the public. Pigs without the smiling face.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fuctifino posted:

I'm still in shock over this. Imagine drawing up policies with the intention of killing as many people as possible? How the gently caress can someone wake up one day and decide to do this? I genuinely don't get it.

I suspect the thought process goes "drug use is a moral failing on the part of the user" > "therefore hurting them is the right thing to do and will stop them" > "anyone who says otherwise is just wrong, because if they weren't wrong then that would mean there is something wrong with my understanding of the universe, and that can't be the case"

It could be considered sympathetic, in a world that only exists inside their heads, but unfortunately also exists inside the heads of a lot of people in the country, because a lot of people live in a shared delusion.

Guavanaut posted:

57mm, so 2¼"

From the description it was a spent sabot round, so not the big part at the back...

Just the tip :v:

E: also I want to express my appreciation for the wikipedia page on the QF 6lb'er for including a picture of a crew of shirtless canadians playing with one :v:

E2: also also if it is a sabot round it actually looks more like this so explains how he got it stuck in there:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 3, 2021

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
My sister in law used to be a prison officer; she left after only a couple of years due to the stress and abuse she got, not from the prisoners but from her 'fellow' officers who decided she didn't have the right attitude and played fun pranks like 'accidentally' locking her alone in the wing and letting the prisoners out. I also had a friend who was a prison librarian who had some stories to tell, so I'm aware of some of the poo poo that can go on down there.

A Belgian who never owned a toothbrush though? :nms: that poo poo.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59518669

Yorkshire racism scandal: Martyn Moxon and Andrew Gale among 16 staff to leave.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Convex posted:

Kier Starmer: somehow worse than Ed Miliband

from Ed's post-leader career he does seem to have the capacity to actually care about things. I'm trying to picture what Starmer's podcast will sound like five years after resigning. Today on Reasons To Be Neutral we are talking about the best shades of dark blue for formal suits

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I suspect the thought process goes "drug use is a moral failing on the part of the user" > "therefore hurting them is the right thing to do and will stop them" > "anyone who says otherwise is just wrong, because if they weren't wrong then that would mean there is something wrong with my understanding of the universe, and that can't be the case"

It could be considered sympathetic, in a world that only exists inside their heads, but unfortunately also exists inside the heads of a lot of people in the country, because a lot of people live in a shared delusion.
Is it supposed to be sympathetic? I thought it was just “they’re junkies, why are we spending money on helping them? They got into this mess, they need to get themselves out of it”

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Angepain posted:

from Ed's post-leader career he does seem to have the capacity to actually care about things. I'm trying to picture what Starmer's podcast will sound like five years after resigning. Today on Reasons To Be Neutral we are talking about the best shades of dark blue for formal suits

Keith seems like the kind of person who'd sign on as advisor to Jair Bolsonaro in his post-presidential career as a prison warden.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

Is it supposed to be sympathetic? I thought it was just “they’re junkies, why are we spending money on helping them? They got into this mess, they need to get themselves out of it”

What I am getting at is that a lot of people believe that approach is genuinely the best way to help people.

Which, clearly it is not, but re: the question of "how do people just decide to do this" I think it is entirely common for people to believe that 1. they aren't really being cruel and 2. even if they were it is actually doing people a favour.

That way, you see, they get all the pleasure of being cruel to people and also the feeling that they are doing everybody a favour.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Also don't forget anyone who votes Tory has likely had zero interaction with anyone with a heroin addiction. So they almost certainly believe "Oh just pull yourself up by your bootstraps, a bit of willpower and stiff upper lip".

Of course, they'll have never given up anything stronger than cigarettes, but still, that makes them experts.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Also don't forget anyone who votes Tory has likely had zero interaction with anyone with a heroin addiction. So they almost certainly believe "Oh just pull yourself up by your bootstraps, a bit of willpower and stiff upper lip".

Of course, they'll have never given up anything stronger than cigarettes, but still, that makes them experts.

They were probably out of a job for a few weeks in the 80's and got themselves back on top without needing anyone elses help, thank you very much. Also student grants and cheap mortgages and actual careers and pensions all existed then but that's not help, they deserved it

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Also don't forget anyone who votes Tory has likely had zero interaction with anyone with a heroin addiction.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

What I am getting at is that a lot of people believe that approach is genuinely the best way to help people.
I agree, but I also think even that interpretation is being too kind in most cases. I suspect that for the majority of the government they simply don’t care about the outcome; they find the problem and the people repellent, have decided this method hasn’t “fixed” it yet, and to hell with it.

I imagine it’s a similar mindset to how I think of flat-earthers or young earth creationists; at this point I don’t really care about the best approach to bring you around, you’re too stupid for me to deal with and so I just won’t.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

TACD posted:

I imagine it’s a similar mindset to how I think of flat-earthers or young earth creationists; at this point I don’t really care about the best approach to bring you around, you’re too stupid for me to deal with and so I just won’t.

Anti-vaxxers and covid denialists too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the benefits of the way of thinking I outlined is that it very easily offers a post-hoc justification for that simple prejudice. You find the object of your ire viscerally revolting, you then quickly and largely subconsciously fabricate a reason why doing the thing you want to do anyway is actually a good thing to do, then you think you are being kind and generous while pursuing a course that is vindictive and cruel, and you then get very annoyed at any suggestion that you or your peers are actually being vindictive and cruel because you simply do not believe that reality is the way it is.

Very visible, I think, among tories, such as how IDS thinks he is helping people. If it were simply a conscious indulgence of cruelty, that would potentially be easier to attack, but what I think has been demonstrated is that it is entirely possible to be monstrously cruel, call it kindness, and a very large number of people will agree with you and be genuinely self righteous and indignant at any suggestion that what you are doing is cruelty.

It isn't an act, I don't even think it's doublethink, I don't think it causes any cogntiive dissonance, it's just that through the power of this way of thinking, reality can be selectively erased from perception so as to facilitate a genuine and wholehearted belief that the world is not the way it actually is.