Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

SlothfulCobra posted:

The alien sector Sinclair shows off at the beginning looks more like a zoo from the alien puppets being behind glass.

The updated version of the pilot edits that scene in the only way possible, so it's basically:
Sinclair: "We can cut through the alien sector."
*cut*
Sinclair: "Well, that was the alien sector."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I've been rewatching this on HBO and noticed an alien that occasionally pops up in the background that I do not recognize. There's one at the start of the episode where they're passing out telepaths after discovering they can be used to fight Shadow ships. He's got like a gray, ridged, angular head. Anyone have any clue what that's supposed to be?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Polaron posted:

I've been rewatching this on HBO and noticed an alien that occasionally pops up in the background that I do not recognize. There's one at the start of the episode where they're passing out telepaths after discovering they can be used to fight Shadow ships. He's got like a gray, ridged, angular head. Anyone have any clue what that's supposed to be?

The Drazi?

Could be gray, but look more purple to me.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tribbledirigible posted:

The Drazi?

Green!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

tribbledirigible posted:

The Drazi?

Definitely not the Drazi, I said I was rewatching this. I know who the Drazi are :v:

There's one at the start of And The Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place, just over Garibaldi's right shoulder. Kind of a bug-looking thing.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

PURPLE!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

gently caress IT, LET'S GO BLOW UP CENTAURI PRIME!

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Polaron posted:

Definitely not the Drazi, I said I was rewatching this. I know who the Drazi are :v:

There's one at the start of And The Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place, just over Garibaldi's right shoulder. Kind of a bug-looking thing.

Oh, a Gaim.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
No, not a Gaim either. Whatever it is isn't in any of the League meetings that I can recall.

It also isn't the praying mantis.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Polaron posted:

No, not a Gaim either. Whatever it is isn't in any of the League meetings that I can recall.

It also isn't the praying mantis.

Pak'Ma'Ra?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Polaron posted:

Are you sure it isn't a Gaim with their helmet on?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
These guys on the left?

I couldn't find any name for them; apparently fans haven't even come up with something non-canonical.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Action Jacktion posted:

These guys on the left?

That's them!

quote:

I couldn't find any name for them; apparently fans haven't even come up with something non-canonical.

How is that possible??

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just realized that the reason I didn't have a real memory of Keffer was because I kept confusing him with Zack.

I can kinda see what Talia's actor might've been complaining about if she said that she wasn't in enough episodes, she's barely in season 2, and when she does show up, her plots are pretty isolated from everyone else, while Vir and Lennier can just kinda hang out even when they're not relevant to what's going on. I feel like the show didn't particularly know how to connect the telepath plots to the rest of the show, and it makes me wonder whether the remake would even have it.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 3, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I just realized that the reason I didn't have a real memory of Keffer was because I kept confusing him with Zack.

They do both have remarkably good hair.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GREEN!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Say what you will about their methods, but let it never be doubted that green went super hard.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

PURPLE!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Action Jacktion posted:

These guys on the left?

They match the description of the Cascor on the B5 wiki, which comes from Other Voices volume 3 (the books containing the 18 scripts not written by JMS).

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like the show didn't particularly know how to connect the telepath plots to the rest of the show, and it makes me wonder whether the remake would even have it.

I kinda hope not. Telepaths seem to have mercifully died out from TV sci-fi since the 90s. I think the way they were situated in B5 was pretty good, but they just feel like a 80s/90s concept, like organic spaceships.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can kinda see what Talia's actor might've been complaining about if she said that she wasn't in enough episodes, she's barely in season 2, and when she does show up, her plots are pretty isolated from everyone else, while Vir and Lennier can just kinda hang out even when they're not relevant to what's going on. I feel like the show didn't particularly know how to connect the telepath plots to the rest of the show, and it makes me wonder whether the remake would even have it.

Given that telepaths are a critical weapon in the Shadow War, it's seems like the idea of a telepath underground smuggling humans away from Psi Corps should be plot point where human telepaths would have joined B5 in the Shadow War and worked with Sheridan when the Earth Civil War started.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

V-Men posted:

Given that telepaths are a critical weapon in the Shadow War, it's seems like the idea of a telepath underground smuggling humans away from Psi Corps should be plot point where human telepaths would have joined B5 in the Shadow War and worked with Sheridan when the Earth Civil War started.

Psi-Corps is its own little box. It takes the side of Earth in the civil war because it's not in a position to influence alien races or even Sheridan; meanwhile they have EarthGov in their pocket. In the Shadow War they work with the Shadows because all the Shadows ask for is some inconvenient Blips and they almost certainly don't know that the Shadows culled the Narn telepaths.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Reboot Bester needs to be played by a cast off star trek bridge character, like Garrett Wang.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Reboot Bester needs to be played by a cast off star trek bridge character, like Garrett Wang.

Jeffrey Combs or Robert Picardo. Preferably Combs.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Blindeye posted:

Jeffrey Combs or Robert Picardo. Preferably Combs.

Agreed. Andrew Robinson would do the role well, too

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mooktastical posted:

Agreed. Andrew Robinson would do the role well, too

Andrew Robinson is well into his 70s if not his 80s. Remember that he was in Dirty Harry in 1968.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Jedit posted:

Andrew Robinson is well into his 70s if not his 80s. Remember that he was in Dirty Harry in 1968.

drat. That's right. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Didn't JMS say something about not being able to use ideas anybody else comes up with? What if he's reading this thread right now? :ohdear:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, if he sees the idea that guarantees it won't be used, especially after the Passing through Gethsemane thing. But I'm pretty confident he's not reading this thread.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I hope at least that the gap between the pilot and the series is quite so large this time

I also hope the Minbari power rings make a comeback.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gnome de plume posted:

I hope at least that the gap between the pilot and the series is quite so large this time

He actually talked about this, B5 was apparently one of the last shows where they produced a pilot as its own thing and there was a huge length of time for a series order off it. He says that is never done anymore. CW will look at the scripts and decide whether or not to produce a season off that, there's no chance of one episode and that's it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mooktastical posted:

drat. That's right. :smith:

Well, technically it's not because I misremembered the year of Dirty Harry - it was 1971. But I looked and yeah, Robinson turns 80 in February. He's also been almost completely retired apart from VO work since 2005.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Didn't JMS say something about not being able to use ideas anybody else comes up with? What if he's reading this thread right now? :ohdear:

He actually addressed this when someone asked! As long as you’re not sending him your Great Idea on Twitter or somewhere you know he hangs out, theorycraft away. It’s a liability thing, nobody’s going to accuse him in court of stealing ideas from the B5 thread on SA.

Ed Wasser looking and sounding exactly like Rod Serling gave JMS the biggest boner possible, second only to anything involving Patrick McGoohan.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ed Wasser looking and sounding exactly like Rod Serling gave JMS the biggest boner possible, second only to anything involving Patrick McGoohan.

Honestly, same.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
He’s also said he doesn’t mind if people say “You should get Jeffrey Combs on the new show!” (Or rather, I’m sure he finds it annoying, but it doesn’t set off the same alarms as “you should get Jeffrey Combs to play Bester on the new show”. The specificity is the problem there.)

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Thing is... if Combs played Bester with the same intensity as Shran, patience as Weyoun, and confidence as Herbert West it’d be basically perfect for that character. It’s entirely in his wheelhouse.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He already played a member of psycorp on Babylon 5, it was just forgettable because it was an extremely not his normal type of character.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

SlothfulCobra posted:

He already played a member of psycorp on Babylon 5, it was just forgettable because it was an extremely not his normal type of character.

That character also wasn’t Bester who is much more like the character’s Combs plays.

I also wouldn’t say he was forgettable. Just a different thing. It was a clear gay segregation allegory. I thought he was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Super Deuce posted:

Thing is... if Combs played Bester with the same intensity as Shran, patience as Weyoun, and confidence as Herbert West it’d be basically perfect for that character. It’s entirely in his wheelhouse.

Okay sure. Just don’t make that pitch to JMS is the point.