Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm doing the fishing in TZA right now, and obviously I don't remember where the bottle notes you get are supposed to lead you to, but instead of just looking them up in a guide, I decided to see if I could decipher the clues myself. I actually was able to get four of them, but the fifth one has stumped me. First the four I got:

"Truth lies just beyond falsehood. CDZCKZMCRANZS" Move one letter to the right in the alphabet, so you get DEADLANDSBOAT

""Skip on stones to far bank's shore, by skipping stones return once more. SSADLNIAKLADHAUETDNREA" Only read every other letter to the end, and every other letter back. SALIKA HUT NEAR DEADLANDS

""Dragons stir among the eaters of the wind. 1 2 - - 5 - 7 - 9" You found the Wyrm Philosopher looking for dragons like the Vyraal at the windmills (eaters of the wind) at Cerobi, so you want to turn those windmills on.

"Easy as a, b, c, so count yourself lucky. 19-12-21-9-3-5-7-1-20-5-18-1-20-19" The numbers correspond to letters of the alphabet, SLUICEGATERATS

So now the one I can't figure out:

"Foothills rise in mountains' shadow. nhIiQsTUrEe" I assume the capital letters are the mountains and the lowercase are the foothills. I also assume (though I'm not entirely sure) that the letter after the h is supposed to be a capital i, not a lowercase L. But no matter how I play with the letters I can't make any sense of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

So now the one I can't figure out:

"Foothills rise in mountains' shadow. nhIiQsTUrEe" I assume the capital letters are the mountains and the lowercase are the foothills. I also assume (though I'm not entirely sure) that the letter after the h is supposed to be a capital i, not a lowercase L. But no matter how I play with the letters I can't make any sense of it.
Well, if you separate the capitals and lowercases, you get a fairly simple letter scramble pool for each.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I see “QUTE shin” which is a bit forward considering every woman in FF12 hides their shins in usually weird ways, even if otherwise they have very revealing outfits.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
EXP table is exactly the same as SNES, looks like.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Hogama posted:

Well, if you separate the capitals and lowercases, you get a fairly simple letter scramble pool for each.

I didn't even think about unscrambling them, since all the others were codes of some sort. But yeah that makes sense, thanks!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As I near the end of VG's stream of FFVII, I can't help but think about how Tifa comments that she and Cloud have nowhere to go and no one to see when the rest of the party leaves at the end of Disk 2. But Vincent also leaves and I'd think the 50-year-old lab experiment whose spent years in a coffin would have even less places to return to or people to see.

So where the heck did he go?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't want to spoil his FF7R-4 DLC campaign but let's just say he got up to some classic Vince hijinx in the Gold Saucer.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Vincent knew that those crazy kids were in love and didn't want to stick around to make things awkward. He's a good dude.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

As I near the end of VG's stream of FFVII, I can't help but think about how Tifa comments that she and Cloud have nowhere to go and no one to see when the rest of the party leaves at the end of Disk 2. But Vincent also leaves and I'd think the 50-year-old lab experiment whose spent years in a coffin would have even less places to return to or people to see.

So where the heck did he go?

Probably to either go brood or visit Lucretia.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He played the critically acclaimed award winning MMORPG, Final Fantasy XIV.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gologle posted:

Do MMOs exist in FFVII’s world. Do you think Shinra develops them?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As a kid I was like "whoa vincent mechanically sucks, I'll never use him" to "Vincent is embarassing, Im not recruiting him"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Gologle posted:

He must have heard about the expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It's gonna be incredibly great when this meme gets life again when they eventually add Stormblood to the free trial.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Twelve by Pies posted:

He must have heard about the expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime.

Do you think another NPC told him about the upcoming Endwalker expansion, which would not only come with a ton of balancing and tweaks to make the game more approachable, but also expand the amount of content you get for absolutely free?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Good to see Squenix's marketing and PR departments all have SA forums accounts. :laffo:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

God, there's so much that goes into determining how the Bizarro and Safer Sephiroth fights work, it's amazing. I don't think there's anything like it in any other FF, they are just the same final bosses no matter what. Certainly Ultimecia, Necron, BFA, The Undying, and Orphan are all the same.

Now, it's still totally easy, but the thought and effort is commendable. And in the New Threat mod (at least the version I beat years ago), he mandated you have two parties against Bizarro and man that was tricky. And I love in the base game you can have one, two, or even three parties depending on all sorts of variables. It rules.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

Good to see Squenix's marketing and PR departments all have SA forums accounts. :laffo:

Nah, it's a meme. Squeenix's PR team is so good that they got people talking about FFXIV (and it's free trial allowing you to play the award-winning expansion Heavensward) for free.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

God, there's so much that goes into determining how the Bizarro and Safer Sephiroth fights work, it's amazing. I don't think there's anything like it in any other FF, they are just the same final bosses no matter what. Certainly Ultimecia, Necron, BFA, The Undying, and Orphan are all the same.

It's just too bad Knights of the Round completely neuters Bizarro Sephiroth without any effort, it'd be a really cool and challenging boss fight if it wasn't for that.

So the best, most challenging final boss still goes to good ol' NED. And yeah, most people here have Fiesta'd so many times that we know tricks like the Magick Lamp, Break Spellblade, etc., but if you don't know all the tricks then NED is rough. Four body parts, each with a bunch of HP and constantly throwing difficult attacks at you, and on top of that he has an "enrage" mode if you leave only one part standing. Hell, he's kind of rough even if you know the tricks, because one unlucky Grand Cross can just gently caress your poo poo up.

And if you're playing SNES, he's even harder since there's the two dummy targets that really cut down on !Rapid Fire/!X-Fight's usefulness.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's weird; I ended up having a hard time with the Undying even after beating Zodiark and Yiazmat. Like he'd just be zipping around one-shotting characters with his basic gun attacks. I couldn't keep buffs up because people were dying too fast. Probably had more trouble with that boss than other FF bosses I can think of.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

It's weird; I ended up having a hard time with the Undying even after beating Zodiark and Yiazmat. Like he'd just be zipping around one-shotting characters with his basic gun attacks. I couldn't keep buffs up because people were dying too fast. Probably had more trouble with that boss than other FF bosses I can think of.

It's been a long time since I played original XII but The Undying is a surprisingly tough fight, especially if you've just coasted through most of the game and barely paid attention as I did in my last run forever ago. He'll come out of nowhere and slap you out of your complacency.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm starting to think that random job assignments is the only real way to play FFXII. I've been having a blast this playthrough, I guess there's always the chance, however unlikely, that you could get stuck with an entire team of Archers/Time Battlemages/Foebreakers, but it's nice to actually have to think about what the best team I can bring into a battle will be, what tactics I want to use, and if I even have equipment good enough to tackle what I want to do.

It's not like playing with no restrictions isn't fun or anything, but it has the FFV problem where sure, I could try and do interesting builds, but it's just so much easier to point Knight/Bushi, Monk/Black Mage, and White Mage/anything at every boss in the game and blow them up with no effort (except Yiazmat where you want a Shikari/whatever). Like, this playthrough I got Elfin Bow incredibly early and instead of going "Oh cool vendor trash" I was like "Neat, Penelo will really appreciate this!" I went out of my way to get Hammerhead as early as possible too so Balthier could smack enemies real good (sometimes) and wear a shield to help his survivability as a white mage. Guns were a useful source of elemental damage given that I have essentially no mages in this party (sucks that most late bosses/elite marks get the skill that reduces gun damage by 87.5% though). Just a lot of fun using weapons that I normally sell for gil at the first opportunity, because why would you ever use a bow when you could just bring in Monk or Uhlan to hit flying enemies and get a chance at chain attacks?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
God I can already see the queue after I get off from work. I guess I might as well watch the new Netflix Cowboy Bebop in the meantime? Oh it sucks? Oh...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm starting to think that random job assignments is the only real way to play FFXII. I've been having a blast this playthrough, I guess there's always the chance, however unlikely, that you could get stuck with an entire team of Archers/Time Battlemages/Foebreakers, but it's nice to actually have to think about what the best team I can bring into a battle will be, what tactics I want to use, and if I even have equipment good enough to tackle what I want to do.

I think the next time I play TZA (as opposed to SFF) I’m going to do a random job assignment setup, but I think I’m going to do one job per character and no repeats. I just made a list of jobs and rolled a d12 to come up with some hypothetical teams and so far none of them have been unplayable so it might be pretty fun.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Harrow posted:

I think the next time I play TZA (as opposed to SFF) I’m going to do a random job assignment setup, but I think I’m going to do one job per character and no repeats. I just made a list of jobs and rolled a d12 to come up with some hypothetical teams and so far none of them have been unplayable so it might be pretty fun.

I've done this and I think I actually prefer it to having two jobs. It didn't seem to be harder, but characters were much more distinct.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLY_iatoE8

This is a jam. I haven't played FF14 but the absolutely massive soundtrack has been a gift regardless.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
It's interesting to read that people had problems with The Undying. My wife and I both splattered him in seconds with our over-leveled and optimally geared mages.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's interesting to read that people had problems with The Undying. My wife and I both splattered him in seconds with our over-leveled and optimally geared mages.

I remember destroying him another time on a less complete file without problems. I remember hearing somewhere that collecting all the Espers made him harder in the same way Sephiroth gets harder based on various circumstances, but now I can't find anything to back that up. So either it happens and there's not a good record of it, or it doesn't happen and I don't know why he seemed really hard on a thorough playthrough.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My first time playing vanilla XII I started the final battle with only Balthier alive, and somehow was able to revive everyone and take him down. Everyone was about level 40 and armed with axes, because I thought that was funny at 18.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Schwartzcough posted:

I remember destroying him another time on a less complete file without problems. I remember hearing somewhere that collecting all the Espers made him harder in the same way Sephiroth gets harder based on various circumstances, but now I can't find anything to back that up. So either it happens and there's not a good record of it, or it doesn't happen and I don't know why he seemed really hard on a thorough playthrough.

My wife did every single thing you can possibly do in The Zodiac Age except for beating Yiazmat and she laughed out loud when she got to The Undying and auto-killed it in like 5 seconds. She didn't know that was the final boss until I told her a few seconds later and then she started laughing even harder because of how easily she vaporized him.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Maybe the removed damage cap and crazy mage multipliers make that easier in the Zodiac age version. Pretty sure he goes through paling phases where he's immune to damage otherwise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can kill the final boss of FFXII faster than it takes him to summon his palings which is just a beautiful laffo

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Undying is kind of a motherfucker of a fight in the SFF mod, kinda like Yiazmat-tier but doesn’t survive as long (and doesn’t have a health bar).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Let me in. LET ME IIIIIIIINNNNNN I WANT TO TREASURE EVERY MOMENT, EVERY STEP OF MY DESCENT AAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

Let me in. LET ME IIIIIIIINNNNNN I WANT TO TREASURE EVERY MOMENT, EVERY STEP OF MY DESCENT AAAAAAAAAAAAA

no

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Why do bosses have health bars in FFXII? That sucks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I’m pretty sure bosses have health bars in every FF after XI

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Health bars are cool.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sometimes I use scan to see how much HP a boss has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I wish Libra worked on bosses/marks, like the gambits you can set up will tell you if an enemy is weak to something even if Libra doesn't, so not having Libra work seems kind of pointless.