Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Unless you are using poo poo-tier framework, you will still get a non-zero return code... so just suppress that as well :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Rubellavator posted:

"is there a way we can run all the tests but skip the failures" - a senior dev

fix your bugs

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Zopotantor posted:

fix your bugs

you tell them, they get super unpleasant about any criticism

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
See, that's what makes me such an efficient developer: I don't wait for the criticism before I become super unpleasant.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Zopotantor posted:

fix your bugs

Maybe we should appreciate them for what they are? Beautiful little imperfections in our software

*drops entire table in production*

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Zopotantor posted:

fix your bugs
Whoa, getta loada the rockstar programmer here.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Xarn posted:

Unless you are using poo poo-tier framework, you will still get a non-zero return code... so just suppress that as well :v:

./unit-tests 2>/dev/null || true

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rubellavator posted:

Rookies: "can we skip the failures?"
Veterans: "can we skip the passes?"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/xssfox/status/1466178398414245891

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

If you tilt the screen to be upright, all the bits start dripping out at the corner.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

I dunno if it's a joke going over my head, but other than his joke tilt, he also has a password sticky note lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

I dunno if it's a joke going over my head, but other than his joke tilt, he also has a password sticky note lol

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

:eyepop:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Okay, this is great

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mother of god

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

:allears:

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
:confused:

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

http://bash.org/?244321

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

look at their screenshot again

Votlook
Aug 20, 2005

Rubellavator posted:

"use a CI tool that does not check the output of the tests" - senior dev with a Phd at my previous company

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Votlook posted:

"use a CI tool that does not check the output of the tests" - senior dev with a Phd at my previous company

Turns out PhD's don't mean a whole lot other than you researched some topic a bunch.

I know this because my brother has one and he's as much of an idiot as I am.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Votlook posted:

Latch onto this person as hard as you can because they’re on the fast track to the c-suite

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

look at their screenshot again

Hahaha, drat. Well done.

Votlook
Aug 20, 2005

leper khan posted:

Turns out PhD's don't mean a whole lot other than you researched some topic a bunch.

I know this because my brother has one and he's as much of an idiot as I am.

My experience with Phd developers is one of extremes: either they are very capable and motivated, or they are incompetent lazy fucks who went into development as plan B after they also failed at research.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Rubellavator posted:

I just want the senior and principals code to compile, and that's usually asking too much.

MarxCarl fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 5, 2021

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Votlook posted:

My experience with Phd developers is one of extremes: either they are very capable and motivated, or they are incompetent lazy fucks who went into development as plan B after they also failed at research.

There's also the kind that, when you report a possible hangup in their module, will spend half a day to calculate and prove that it’s not hanging, the operation which was triggered by a button click in an interactive program would actually have completed within 24 hours.

Votlook
Aug 20, 2005

Zopotantor posted:

There's also the kind that, when you report a possible hangup in their module, will spend half a day to calculate and prove that it’s not hanging, the operation which was triggered by a button click in an interactive program would actually have completed within 24 hours.

Ah the motivated yet incompetent type.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We have some PhDs at work simply because there was a period we were desperate for bodies and hiring anyone with an advanced degree (in anything) plus coding boot camp. They tend to be bad.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
At least they can philosophise their way out of a deadlock

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm a PhD dev and I think I'm good. It helps that my attitude when I get error reports that have to do with my code is "oh poo poo oh gently caress what did I do?!"

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm a PhD dev and I think I'm good. It helps that my attitude when I get error reports that have to do with my code is "oh poo poo oh gently caress what did I do?!"
My life as a PhD dev is writing pages detailing exactly all of the ways I can prove my poo poo isn’t broken when I get a 1 sentence ticket saying almost nothing more than “your stuff isn’t working”. Nobody ever seems to be able to actually do, like, basic repro steps or anything.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am learning Go, and I think we should just post all of the language in this thread.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Xarn posted:

I am learning Go, and I think we should just post all of the language in this thread.

I tried to learn Go way back in like 2015 and was immediately like "Why the hell would anyone write code like this?"

I'm sure many have said the same about code I've written, so all is fair in love and development I guess. I also like Python so do with that information what you will.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Zopotantor posted:

This isn't exclusive to PHD devs. This is something I've had to repeatedly coach out of developers that are new to working in the real world. They just need to accept that this is a problem that needs to be solved and it's not some thing you need to write a big long defense for. Just fix the bug, fix the misunderstanding, just fix whatever it is.

Xarn posted:

It's really opinionated, so it feels like people who like it, LOVE it but people who don't absolutely HATE it. I'm also learning it and in some regards it's amazing, but it feels like it very much tries to shoehorn you into specific ways of thinking and problem solving.

And also has some really weird decisions like the url based package management stuff. Though at first I thought it was doing something much more :stare: and using github like a CDN for code during compilation or runtime.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

smackfu posted:

We have some PhDs at work simply because there was a period we were desperate for bodies and hiring anyone with an advanced degree (in anything) plus coding boot camp. They tend to be bad.

So they're just like the software developers

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

QuarkJets posted:

So they're just like the software developers

PhDs in CS are probably the pinnacle of socially inept know-it-alls who are never wrong ever and just impossible to want to work with

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lot of selection effects and confirmation bias going on right now.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's not a bias if I think everyone is terrible (myself included), is it?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

champagne posting posted:

PhDs in CS are probably the pinnacle of socially inept know-it-alls who are never wrong ever and just impossible to want to work with

That might explain it - I'm not a CS PhD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
part of the problem is there's a shitload of CS PhDs relative to other fields and they can't all get faculty jobs so they gotta end up somewhere. doesn't help that the code they wrote really only needs to work once for the paper.