Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I actually think Golden Wind is good I'm just fuckin around. Best Jojo so far is 2 and 4 tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Reqiuem stands are bullshit imo.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
Never got into jojo, I got to whichever season had the younger dude, jotaro I think. It was pretty lame that his mum was so weak as a woman her jojo superpowers were killing her
The best part of it was Roundabout

I'm reading thru Alita 2 and 3 and it kinda owns?
The most recent series is hilariously grimdark and features so many kids being killed at the start but it's super inventive and every few pages something completely insane and cool happens and then is forgotten about forever.

I really like all the weird cyborg technology it's like warhammer 40k but pushed much further into the absurd and comical which is very much my poo poo.
I love the crazy space marines whose heads they screw into their bodies like light bulbs

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 00:58 on Dec 3, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Communist Thoughts posted:

Never got into jojo, I got to whichever season had the younger dude, jotaro I think. It was pretty lame that his mum was so weak as a woman her jojo superpowers were killing her
The best part of it was Roundabout

I'm reading thru Alita 2 and 3 and it kinda owns?
The most recent series is hilariously grimdark and features so many kids being killed at the start but it's super inventive and every few pages something completely insane and cool happens and then is forgotten about forever.

I really like all the weird cyborg technology it's like warhammer 40k but pushed much further into the absurd and comical which is very much my poo poo.
I love the crazy space marines whose heads they screw into their bodies like light bulbs

So that's Stardust Crusaders (part 3) and it's probably the most famous part - especially in the west. Like nowadays that's not especially true especially since the anime helped make it mainstream but back in the day (when the manga wasn't even getting translated over here) it was the part that got some exposure. It was also neat when it came out because it introduced Stands and instead of doing a traditional tournament arc like everyone was it did a whole globe-trottingt thing.

Now that the years have gone on and the novelty has worn off, it's probably aged the least gracefully. There's nothing it does that another part doesn't do better, and between later arcs and things that were inspired by it, pretty much everything good that did work has since been refined and improved upon.

If you ever feel like giving it another shot, I would suggest either Part 1+2 (Part 1 is really short, like 8 or 9 episodes and with Part 2 it only totals about 26 so watching them together is like a normal 2-cours show) because those are weird and goofy and Part 2 is dumb in the best way, or Part 4 where the Stand powers are more interesting than the the kind of boring/generic lineup from part 3.

E: none of them are really great about having strong female characters except for the new one

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Jotaro's mom is just a ditzy broad, and that's ok.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Joeseph creeped and saw his mom naked lmao.

Serf
May 5, 2011

while season 2 is my favorite jojo season i will say it is brought down by all the nazi apologism

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Lol wtf? Jojo is literally a pioneer in having strong female characters. Like half the bad guys in part 3 are women. Lisa Lisa. Jolyne obviously. Trish's stand (underutilized) would be remade in part 8 as one of the best ones. Part 7 and 8 are full of strong women as well. Obviously it's not perfect, but nothing is.

Jotaros mom can't get a stand not because she's week, but because she doesn't have "killer instinct". Also it's just a macguffin for the plot. A literal baby and gorilla can get one lol.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

while season 2 is my favorite jojo season i will say it is brought down by all the nazi apologism

The Nazis are responsible for bringing the Pillar Men back in the first place. For the first half of the season they're practically Indiana Jones villains, and they all get the karmic justice they deserve.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Nazis are responsible for bringing the Pillar Men back in the first place. For the first half of the season they're practically Indiana Jones villains, and they all get the karmic justice they deserve.

too bad they wind up teaming up with joseph and stroheim is just a doofy guy who comes along for the ride. and cesar zeppeli crying over his dead nazi friend. and the fact that speedwagon is a nazi collaborator

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

too bad they wind up teaming up with joseph and stroheim is just a doofy guy who comes along for the ride. and cesar zeppeli crying over his dead nazi friend. and the fact that speedwagon is a nazi collaborator

It'd be unrealistic if the Western industrialist wasn't a Nazi collaborator.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It'd be unrealistic if the Western industrialist wasn't a Nazi collaborator.

oh absolutely. you just hate to see it happen to the fun sidekick from season 1

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
https://twitter.com/SolidusJJ/status/1466494294324301824?t=dfMTgYMk1aI9lFVq3IE_gA&s=19

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Serf posted:

who cares, it's funny

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Mirello posted:

Lol wtf? Jojo is literally a pioneer in having strong female characters. Like half the bad guys in part 3 are women. Lisa Lisa. Jolyne obviously. Trish's stand (underutilized) would be remade in part 8 as one of the best ones. Part 7 and 8 are full of strong women as well. Obviously it's not perfect, but nothing is.

Jotaros mom can't get a stand not because she's week, but because she doesn't have "killer instinct". Also it's just a macguffin for the plot. A literal baby and gorilla can get one lol.

I was more thinking about the protagonists and tbh I don't remember what she does in part 2 except that time Kars plays guitar with her. And 7 and8 haven't been adapted yet.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I literally got to the current last episode of AOT before I realized that there's still half a season left to go. This final season has been dogshit. I'll probably watch the back half after it's all aired to just see the end of the train wreck.

this show is pretty much the anime equivalent of Lost. huge mystery box where the driving force of the story is hoping for another lore dump so you’ll actually understand what’s happening, but after the show put all its cards on the table at the end of season 3 it just exposed how awful the plot and characters all are now that they have to carry the story.

Retromancer has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Dec 3, 2021

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

when is the rest of stone ocean / stone free coming out i inhaled those 12 episodes i need more

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the nazis in jojo part 2 are indeed evil, they are shown doing extremely evil things. but that is pretty quickly rendered irrelevant cause the main conflict has nothing to do with it and even the nazis don't want all human life on earth to be extinguished so they basically have to oppose the pillar men

should he have just not put the nazis into it at all? well, yeah, probably that would have been better

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If it didn't have the Nazis then we'd never have the squirrel scene.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
the best nazi villains were in indiana jones
second best: hellsing

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the best jojo part is this MAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvF90NJS-84

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I tried to watch a jojo, but it suffers extremely from pausing to overexplain every single scene like I'm some developementally challenged child. Each episode is like 5 minutes of things happening and 15 minutes of the characters going "Oh no, a thing is happening, we need to stop it, or else it will be bad. We can't allow this, since this is bad and can't happen. But I have a plan, I will do another thing that will counter the bad thing. Oh no, the bad guy predicted I'm foing the thing and he's countering with another bad thing. Luckily I also predicted it and can counter it with third thing. Ok, here i go, I'm doing the thing".
All of this while there's barely anything moving on the screen.

When something did happen, it was pretty cool, but it's just too much for me. I peaced out in the middle of pillar men.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
wow the new run of alita sure is something! lots of grimdarkness and body horror in a pretty hilarious change of tone from the rest.

the reveal of alita's backstory 24 years into her manga is pretty hilarious
shes the excised tumour of a woman who got hit by a trap from a treasure chest, inhaling a gas that causes heads and faces to be grown all over your body, alita is one of those tumours attached to a robot body made doubly funny by the fact that current alita has basically nothing to do with OG alita biologically so it has absolutely no bearing on the story

also christ he's been writing it since 2014 and its barely gone anywhere, this is gonna take til 2030 at least

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

grate deceiver posted:

I tried to watch a jojo, but it suffers extremely from pausing to overexplain every single scene like I'm some developementally challenged child. Each episode is like 5 minutes of things happening and 15 minutes of the characters going "Oh no, a thing is happening, we need to stop it, or else it will be bad. We can't allow this, since this is bad and can't happen. But I have a plan, I will do another thing that will counter the bad thing. Oh no, the bad guy predicted I'm foing the thing and he's countering with another bad thing. Luckily I also predicted it and can counter it with third thing. Ok, here i go, I'm doing the thing".
All of this while there's barely anything moving on the screen.

When something did happen, it was pretty cool, but it's just too much for me. I peaced out in the middle of pillar men.

lol, if people stopping to explain whats going on padding things out gets on your nerves, I feel as though anime might not be your thing. tough for me to think of one that doesn't drown in over-exposition. it's just a trait of the genre

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

there's a lot of anime that don't overexplain, watch stuff that isn't shonen

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the 90s ova adapted for an animated medium with actual budget, david prod goes another route, i do miss the color layers they used to do to fun things up though

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Srice posted:

there's a lot of anime that don't overexplain, watch stuff that isn't shonen

Dude, I watch tons of romance shows with my wife. If you think shonen shows over explain, or draw things out, never ever watch a shoujo. Spend 24 eps waiting for the couple to hold hands, then it happens, then it turns out it was a dream / not canon and you've gotta wait until the next season for them to make any progress.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Just read the manga imo. If it's an anime only thing those tend to have good pacing anyway

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mirello posted:

Dude, I watch tons of romance shows with my wife. If you think shonen shows over explain, or draw things out, never ever watch a shoujo. Spend 24 eps waiting for the couple to hold hands, then it happens, then it turns out it was a dream / not canon and you've gotta wait until the next season for them to make any progress.

yea a lot of those get pretty rough too!

Serf
May 5, 2011

i do think jojo, like all anime, has those scenes where it pauses to overexplain things, but a lot of those times its in the middle of a fight and the thing that its explaining is some wacky asspull bullshit and i love it. its almost like a parody of the concept when the characters stand around thinking/talking about the scheme they cooked up .5 seconds ago to win, and then we do it again in 2 minutes as the next wild idea unfolds. personally its my second favorite part of the show (behind dio)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Everybody who says that all anime over explains things should watch Reconguista in G

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

ffffuck I cant wait for Steel Ball Run so we can finally get the true evilest villain ever animated: The President of the United States of America :911:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Everybody who says that all anime over explains things should watch Reconguista in G

G no reconguistaaaaa

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Honest Thief posted:

G no reconguistaaaaa

Yeah let me amend that. Everyone should watch Reconguista in G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXcb2rXuTPo

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I was thinking pretty much any yuasa anime but that is also a good example

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Serf posted:

i do think jojo, like all anime, has those scenes where it pauses to overexplain things, but a lot of those times its in the middle of a fight and the thing that its explaining is some wacky asspull bullshit and i love it. its almost like a parody of the concept when the characters stand around thinking/talking about the scheme they cooked up .5 seconds ago to win, and then we do it again in 2 minutes as the next wild idea unfolds. personally its my second favorite part of the show (behind dio)

I do get this kinda, but I think it just happens at the worst time in Jojo. I would like to actually see the ridiculous asspull poo poo happening on screen, but instead it's a mostly static frame of two guys flexing, and then someone narrates what is actually happening for like 5 minutes. There's just not enough action to keep my interest - I peaced out at the episode when they're fighting Kars in Switzerland, and half of the ep was spent falling off a cliff.
And yea, I watchted DBZ like literally everyone else on this planet.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

also Demonslayer is shonen and that is dope as hell, so it's not an excuse

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
it's totally a devotion to the manga panels and them saving money while doing it, which lead to anime being what it is today tbf but yeah.. part 2 can get ridiculous

Serf
May 5, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

I do get this kinda, but I think it just happens at the worst time in Jojo. I would like to actually see the ridiculous asspull poo poo happening on screen, but instead it's a mostly static frame of two guys flexing, and then someone narrates what is actually happening for like 5 minutes. There's just not enough action to keep my interest - I peaced out at the episode when they're fighting Kars in Switzerland, and half of the ep was spent falling off a cliff.
And yea, I watchted DBZ like literally everyone else on this planet.

oh yeah i could see that for sure. different strokes and all that. i just remember when, in season 1, johnathan stabs dio with a sword but gets frozen and it looks like he's hosed but actually he stabbed the blade of the sword into a brazier and the heat is transferring down and melting the ice on his arm and that poo poo just hooked me. the whole show is kids on a playground going "actually i have a forcefield that your bullets bounce off of" and the other kid going "my bullets bounce down into the earth and burrow up at you from below!" and its so stupid that i like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

the kind of slow overexplaining anime pacing I like is in a particular kind of sports anime where it takes like 5 minutes of internal monologue before the pitcher throws the ball