Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kntfkr posted:

there was an hbomax documentary about some child abuse weight loss protestant cult that resulted in some idiot confining his little boy to a box and slamming it shut which killed him. horrible watch what was it called. oh yeah, The Way Down. bad watch

This is no joke a pic of the fundie nutjob who was behind this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I remember reading an article years ago about how their money evaporates into thin air just keeping their army of a family houses and fed - they built their giant compound in the late 00's themselves from a kit and then asked volunteers from their church and the community to help finish the build when they realized they couldn't do it themselves, but it's unclear how much got spent on materials, other workers, etc. They claimed they needed the free work bc they couldn't afford to pay for folks to do all of it.

There were a few failed political runs by Jim Bob, I wonder how much money got wasted by those.

But yeah, whenever they talked about food and other necessities it’s brought up how much they had to coupon and save, while having more and more kids.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

she was killed in a plane crash a few months ago, lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why the hell does she look so familiar?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Demon Of The Fall posted:

lmao

her hairstyle threw off the plane's guidance systems.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

was this pic taken before or after the crash

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2021/05/30/gwen-shamblin-lara-remnant-fellowship-church-tennessee-plane-crash/5272006001/

quote:

A dietician who became the founder of the Remnant Fellowship Church in Brentwood died Saturday when the Cessna owned by her production company went down in Percy Priest Lake.

Gwen Shamblin Lara, her husband, Joe, and five other church leaders are presumed dead. Investigators had changed from a rescue mission to a recovery mission Sunday morning.

According to the Federal Aviation Administration website, no one on that flight was qualified to fly the plane. Joe Lara, 58, had a pilot's license but had not updated his medical certification since 2017. The medical certification is required every two years.

Brandon Hannah, another church leader with a pilot license, was on the flight, but he didn't have a certification for the Cessna 500 series, according to the FAA database.

I grew up in Brentwood and had a few run ins with some members of this church. Super weird people, nice enough on the outside but I knew they weren't there in the head

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Yeh it's crazy to say the evangelicals don't have much sway anymore when the Supreme Court looks like it's about to support limiting abortion specifically bc evangelicals have pushed so hard to get it to this point

They never lost sway.
They realized that being up front proclaiming poo poo constantly was detrimental to them in the long run. Upto 2012 it was TV frenzy, you could say whatever poo poo you wanted and the rubes would throw their kids insulin money at you.
But when the Apocalypse didn't happen, they were only happy being out in public when it was signing heinous poo poo into law, standing behind Trump or whoever and grinning that they just got a new lear jet for doing nothing.
They are now more lobbyist than anything.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Yeh it's crazy to say the evangelicals don't have much sway anymore when the Supreme Court looks like it's about to support limiting abortion specifically bc evangelicals have pushed so hard to get it to this point

And when abortion finally is banned in pretty much all states, I wonder if they're going to turn their direction back to the gays, or who their next target's going to be.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2021/05/30/gwen-shamblin-lara-remnant-fellowship-church-tennessee-plane-crash/5272006001/

I grew up in Brentwood and had a few run ins with some members of this church. Super weird people, nice enough on the outside but I knew they weren't there in the head

God is good :pray:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Cowslips Warren posted:

And when abortion finally is banned in pretty much all states, I wonder if they're going to turn their direction back to the gays, or who their next target's going to be.

Gay marriage and women's access to contraceptives are both possibilities, as well as exiling all trans people to the Phantom Zone.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's exactly what's happening with the current Mississippi abortion case in front of the Supreme Court. They're trying to use the same argument to overturn Griswold, Obergefell, Lawrence, etc.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BrigadierSensible posted:

and the fact that they were "blanket trained" as youngsters, (look it up if you want to read about child torture) .

what the poo poo :stare:

quote:

The Pearls' book, which the Duggars have promoted on their website (via the Without a Crystal Ball Instagram page), advises parents to begin obedience training by putting their baby on a blanket and setting a toy just out of reach. When the child reaches for it or moves off the blanket, the parent calmly says "No," and hits the child lightly with a spoon or other object. Eventually, the child learns to stay put. As toddlers, children are "trained" with the switch to come when called to obey commands without argument, and not to whine or misbehave.

I feel so, so sorry for the Duggar children and I want the Duggar parents to suffer eternally. How is this even remotely legally acceptable? Some of the wacko sites that came up from googling are trying to both sides this, like 'but do we really know its bad to torture a baby?'

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

I remember reading an article years ago about how their money evaporates into thin air just keeping their army of a family houses and fed - they built their giant compound in the late 00's themselves from a kit and then asked volunteers from their church and the community to help finish the build when they realized they couldn't do it themselves, but it's unclear how much got spent on materials, other workers, etc. They claimed they needed the free work bc they couldn't afford to pay for folks to do all of it.

Probably donated it all to Mike Fuckabee buying his everlasting support

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It might have been the BtB episode, but it said something about how the Duggars went beyond Blanket Training somehow with hitting kids to make them obey

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

holy poo poo

She looks like my grandad when he was on his deathbed, if you had plastered his face with makeup and put a ridiculous wig on him

skeleton face death cult minion

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

This Is the Zodiac posted:

They hold enormous amounts of political influence in the United States. The inbred trailer-trash hicks that they trot out for us enlightened coastal liberals to laugh at are just there to make the white male Christian dominionists who are shaping every aspect of our government seem more palatable.

in the red states definently. i remember being way way bigger where i lived a decade or two ago and now they kinda went to redder pastures in center part of the state and other places.

Cowslips Warren posted:

its not gonna be banned in all states. its gonna be "up to states" poo poo which means blue and some purple states have it or have it sorta and red states will be poo poo. still loving awful though.

Thundercloud posted:

Gay marriage and women's access to contraceptives are both possibilities, as well as exiling all trans people to the Phantom Zone.

i don't see gay marriage or even LGBTQ stuff being pushed back into the bottle that easy. most folks have open queer relatives now or at least friends. gently caress my chud extended family has gay sons and such.

i am not saying its impossible because american hellworld but i think it will be much much harder to undo, especially since roberts and a bunch of the other ghouls dont seem to want to pick the fight.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
it makes me wonder how much corporeal punishment those Duggar kids have withstood. Seems like some of it would've shown up on TLC footage eventually.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
michelle probably hasn't raised one of her actual children in 20 years, its all done by the older siblings.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

bobjr posted:

There were a few failed political runs by Jim Bob, I wonder how much money got wasted by those.

But yeah, whenever they talked about food and other necessities it’s brought up how much they had to coupon and save, while having more and more kids.

Yeah my big takeaway was that being Quiverfull is a massive drain on your community and that they were just gonna keep digging further in bc they're gonna be like well God wants us to keep going bc look he keeps helping us

They take human kindness and ferment it into something really sinister, it gives me the creeps.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

in the red states definently. i remember being way way bigger where i lived a decade or two ago and now they kinda went to redder pastures in center part of the state and other places.

its not gonna be banned in all states. its gonna be "up to states" poo poo which means blue and some purple states have it or have it sorta and red states will be poo poo. still loving awful though.

i don't see gay marriage or even LGBTQ stuff being pushed back into the bottle that easy. most folks have open queer relatives now or at least friends. gently caress my chud extended family has gay sons and such.

i am not saying its impossible because american hellworld but i think it will be much much harder to undo, especially since roberts and a bunch of the other ghouls dont seem to want to pick the fight.

It'll be a 'seperate but equal' thing. I.e. they'll allow gay people to be out, but they won't allow them to get married or have any of the regular social benefits. Also they may require them to identify themselves as gay, maybe wear a special tag or badge.. something that people can see from far away and tell.... whats easy to see from a distance? maybe a gold star or a pink triangle? :smith:

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Rad-daddio posted:

it makes me wonder how much corporeal punishment those Duggar kids have withstood. Seems like some of it would've shown up on TLC footage eventually.

The show presented them as a wholesome loving family and did a lot to actually hide the evangelical batshitedness of them. If anything a lot of what they did was presented as folksy or old fashioned and nothing about their really awful views was ever shown. If I recall tlc even would censor this giant poster tracking all the menstrual cycles that was in the kitchen

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
People laughed at me last year when I said I expect to die in an American death camp run by either party.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vampire Panties posted:

It'll be a 'seperate but equal' thing. I.e. they'll allow gay people to be out, but they won't allow them to get married or have any of the regular social benefits. Also they may require them to identify themselves as gay, maybe wear a special tag or badge.. something that people can see from far away and tell.... whats easy to see from a distance? maybe a gold star or a pink triangle? :smith:

again. i think its a little to late for that, especially since most people under 40 are pretty bleh about hard right evangelical bullshit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

B-Rock452 posted:

The show presented them as a wholesome loving family and did a lot to actually hide the evangelical batshitedness of them. If anything a lot of what they did was presented as folksy or old fashioned and nothing about their really awful views was ever shown. If I recall tlc even would censor this giant poster tracking all the menstrual cycles that was in the kitchen

yeah thats half the reason poo poo like that is/was basically able to fly on mainstream tv because they hide that they are hosed up hard right cultists and just pretend they are like amish or some poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 3, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why the hell does she look so familiar?

She used to host a horror anthology series on HBO back in the 90's.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

AFewBricksShy posted:

She used to host a horror anthology series on HBO back in the 90's.

I keep seeing miss piggy but I get where you're coming from too

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

She looks like a malformed and evil clone of Dolly Parton

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

jesus when the Twits was right. it was right.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

again. i think its a little to late for that, especially since most people under 40 are pretty bleh about hard right evangelical bullshit.

yeah, going super hard on removing abortion rights or gay rights is a long term loser for the GOP because both of these are verifiably unpopular policies that would mobilize a significant electoral backlash

moderate white boomer women who may vote left or right remember the bad old days pre-Roe and if they aren't evangelicals or otherwise hard christian types this is the exact kind of thing that will cause them to withhold votes from republicans, even reluctantly. Roe was a big get for women's rights in the 1970s and so any woman aged 60+ will have been aware and conscious of what life without legal abortion was like for women, and what it means to take that away

trying to attack Obgerfell or undermine gay rights would be even worse for the republicans in terms of galvanizing young people to show up to vote. this is in part why the right have shifted to beating on trans people in the culture war, because the LG part of LGBTQIA+ rights is pretty much over and done with, and would cost far more political capital than the GOP has to try to relitigate that fight in the courts

now the GOP has gone full crazy, so will they try to take a swing at gay marriage? its possible. if they do, will they miss and hit themselves in the face? most definitely

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Not sure of this live action Bride of Chucky character.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

looks like that jesus took the wheel

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

yeah, going super hard on removing abortion rights or gay rights is a long term loser for the GOP because both of these are verifiably unpopular policies that would mobilize a significant electoral backlash

moderate white boomer women who may vote left or right remember the bad old days pre-Roe and if they aren't evangelicals or otherwise hard christian types this is the exact kind of thing that will cause them to withhold votes from republicans, even reluctantly. Roe was a big get for women's rights in the 1970s and so any woman aged 60+ will have been aware and conscious of what life without legal abortion was like for women, and what it means to take that away

trying to attack Obgerfell or undermine gay rights would be even worse for the republicans in terms of galvanizing young people to show up to vote. this is in part why the right have shifted to beating on trans people in the culture war, because the LG part of LGBTQIA+ rights is pretty much over and done with, and would cost far more political capital than the GOP has to try to relitigate that fight in the courts

now the GOP has gone full crazy, so will they try to take a swing at gay marriage? its possible. if they do, will they miss and hit themselves in the face? most definitely

Perhaps you haven't heard that they've been gerrymandering the hell out of voting districts and enacting all kinds of restrictions to prevent minorities from voting. It doesn't matter how unpopular their policies are if people can't vote them out after they've been implemented.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Remember this?

DickParasite posted:

An actual, no poo poo picture of Josh's brother leaving the courthouse today:

https://twitter.com/amyduggar/status/1466784422032723969

This is a response tweet to that picture, from Amy Duggar King, Josh and Justin's cousin..

Amy had separated herself from the family earlier.. she's also praying Josh gets the maximum sentence.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 3, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i mean i think they will try, its just gonna backfire on them. social conservatism is deeply unpopular with even Gen x and millennials and zoomers. i mean they hold the red states because they made their entire ideological trench lines in the south and Midwest but even then its slowly imploding. it will never ever go away but even with the trumpist poo poo, you see more ultra nationlist bullshit rather than out and out evangelical insanity.

Binary Badger posted:

https://twitter.com/amyduggar/status/1466784422032723969

This is from Amy Duggar King, Josh and Justin's cousin..

he is a brainless moron who was probably told by daddy or whatever that josh was innocent and everything he did was ok.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Perhaps you haven't heard that they've been gerrymandering the hell out of voting districts and enacting all kinds of restrictions to prevent minorities from voting. It doesn't matter how unpopular their policies are if people can't vote them out after they've been implemented.

well i guess we're all doomed and we should just lay down in a gutter and die already (this is sarcasm, i'm being sarcastic)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean they hold the red states because they made their entire ideological trench lines in the south and Midwest but even then its slowly imploding

the red state/blue state dichotomy is extremely correlated with growth of cities in those states, this is why we talk about purple florida, texas, and georgia, and why the empty corn states / big city coastal states are permanent locks

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 3, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah in deep red places. you try to blow up gay marriage and queer civil rights. you get record turn out against you.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If Josh is found guilty they’ll probably tell the younger kids he lives in a nice farm upstate, if they don’t do a “the godless heathens set him up” line

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah in deep red places. you try to blow up gay marriage and queer civil rights. you get record turn out against you.

They've also been doing it in states that were purple or headed that way. Just look at Georgia over the last ten months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

They've also been doing it in states that were purple or headed that way. Just look at Georgia over the last ten months.

yeah and GA is also having lots of dem wins too. again. it would be political sucide for the chuds to do. so gently caress em.

bobjr posted:

If Josh is found guilty they’ll probably tell the younger kids he lives in a nice farm upstate, if they don’t do a “the godless heathens set him up” line

if they even tell them. i suspect the fucker will be memory holed.