Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
There is good trek in s4e3 of discovery.
Not enough to warrant watching it but...it's trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Tiggum posted:

I fell way behind on this thread and haven't read the intervening pages, but I've just been catching up on Discovery and Prodigy, and I have very important opinions to tell anyone who'll listen:

Prodigy seems like an ok kids' show. I've watched every episode so far, but I think I'm probably not going to bother with it any more. There's nothing particularly unique or interesting about it and obviously I'm not the target audience.

I watched the first two episodes of the latest season of Discovery, then got about five minutes into the third and went "nope, gently caress this." I'm done. The show is extremely bad and it's never going to get any better.

Weirdly the third episode is probably the single best episode of discovery they've done from start to finish.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Tars Tarkas posted:

This episode was pretty good, they're actually doing the big threat in the background while actual Star Trek stuff happens in the foreground thing we were all worried they couldn't do. Maybe they will keep it up the rest of this season. Also lol that Discovery seems more interested in all the stuff the Picard show thought up than the Picard show
Were people actually worried about this? Season 2 managed to keep the red angel in the background while Trek occurred for the first chunk of the season. Season 3 didn't really have a galaxy killing problem to put in the forefront anyway since the burn already happened so it was a lot of catching up with the new era and dealing with never going back to the old (unless you're a character meant for a spin-off show.) I assume Season 4 is just gonna be modeled after Season 2 and the galaxy destroying problem is gonna become forefront halfway through the season.

Also I can totally understand dropping off 5 minutes into episode 3. There's so much vamping for time done through pointless dialog. "We are here to help each other. The threat threatens us all. We shall collaborate. Let us all be friendly friends to each other. The federation keeps us all together. Perhaps one day we may all join the Federation. Here are some other people we want to be friends with. LET'S loving HUG IT OUT Y'ALL." Just really stupidly boring and pointless dialog meant only to remind the dullest of viewers what is going on.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

A Sometimes Food posted:

Section 31 but it's Burn After Reading. Complete with JK Simmons.

Yes, this. This now, please. I want to see Sledge Hammer and Dr. Skoda after every commercial break bantering about the goings-on in the episode. That way you can miss a bit if you have to take a piss between commercial breaks. Also, I loved those scenes.

"So... what did we learn?"
"I don't know, sir."
"I don't fuckin' know, either. ... I guess we learned not to do it again."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Typical Pubbie posted:

Why didn't the romulan nun ask her sisters for help instead of hiring mercenaries? Why did she hire mercenaries when the whole point of stealing dilithium was to keep the location of the aliens a secret from unscrupulous people, like mercenaries?

I just assumed she would have killed them after she moved their moon base to a new safe location.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tarlibone posted:

The action sequences in the last couple episodes were OK, but when Michael fixed the alien moon hibernation computer in about one minute, I could not stop myself from rolling my eyes. Tilly, a mathematician engineer scientist, took longer to fix an engine that she carefully sabotaged than it took for Michael to diagnose the hibernation bug on an ancient alien moon computer, press four buttons, and then totally fix the problem. Seriously. Seriously.

Obviously Tilly was half-assing it and taking as long as possible. As would happen if you make the deadline "you have until Tilly fixes it." Tilly could just be moving two parts back and forth, romulan ninjas aren't engineers so she'd have no way to know how long the repair should take.

Cross-Section posted:

This episode was a big ol’ slice of emotional cheesecake for me and I enjoyed it for that, plus they didn’t do the Discovery Thing of turning a joyful thing suddenly tragic (was honestly expecting it with Grey there at the end)

Also you people nitpicking his face are weird :colbert:

I blame HD. This never would have been a problem in 1985.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I blame HD. This never would have been a problem in 1985.
Poor Clint Howard was made fun of regardless. And he was practically a baby.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Section 31 but it's Burn After Reading. Complete with JK Simmons.

Section 31 but it's Counterpart, complete with JK Simmons (and JK Simmons)

Seriously, track down and watch Counterpart.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Was an average Disc episode, I guessed Booker would get mild melded the instant he said he was going.

And doesn't this mean Trill now have immortality?

1. Implant symbiote into a human.
2. Walk human into the hologram deck like they did on the Burn Ship. Its 150 year old tech, so should be possible to recreate.
3. Walk out.
4. Build robot.
5. Transfer.

Hell, they may not need steps 2 or 3.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

happyhippy posted:

Was an average Disc episode, I guessed Booker would get mild melded the instant he said he was going.

2. Walk human into the hologram deck like they did on the Burn Ship. Its 150 year old tech, so should be possible to recreate.
3. Walk out.
4. Build robot.
5. Transfer.

1. Create a perfect body synth with the likeness the symbiote wants
2. Implant

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

happyhippy posted:

3. Walk out.
4. Build robot.
5. Transfer.

The robots are built to age and die.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wasn't this just a request Picard made and not a necessity?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I just assumed she would have killed them after she moved their moon base to a new safe location.

The romulan nuns have a connection to starfleet through Burnham's mother. Why rely on mercenaries to steal dilithium when you could arrange a secret meeting with a trusted starfleet officer and explain the situation? The Federation is practically giving dilithium away.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is a choice - if Gray wasn't like a 16 year old kid it's one they might not have made.

but, even if it requires that, you'd just need to make a new one every few decades. The thing is that they wouldn't WANT to

Ultimately, trill society exists to support the symbiotes, and there's never been enough of those to go around. the symbiotes (and the hosts) wouldn't want to be separated, the only reason Gray was willing and able to stop being part of Tal is because he wasn't joined for very long.

In theory, once a symbiote is nearing the end of it's life it could now choose to re-incorporate all it's previous hosts but they'd all be forced into a world where they're not their complete selves, and where everyone who knew them when they were alive was probably dead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Typical Pubbie posted:

The romulan nuns have a connection to starfleet through Burnham's mother. Why rely on mercenaries to steal dilithium when you could arrange a secret meeting with a trusted starfleet officer and explain the situation? The Federation is practically giving dilithium away.

As it was explained, the officer would still want an explanation for what they were gonna do with all of it. Can the nuns lie? The officer might have looked into their lie anyways.

She stole 4 shipments(planets?) worth of dilithium. That's a lot.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Episode was good, the new Ten Forward set looks comfy as hell, and goons are still being weird and lovely about Gray’s actor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

This episode was a big ol’ slice of emotional cheesecake for me and I enjoyed it for that, plus they didn’t do the Discovery Thing of turning a joyful thing suddenly tragic (was honestly expecting it with Grey there at the end)

I was genuinely surprised when Grey wasn't dead. Like, I just have come to expect Disco to just kill off whoever and do whatever tragedy without much thought about it. But in retrospect, lol the shitstorm if they killed him after building all this up. That said, kind of confused. Is this just a temp body for grey's symbiote, still capable of doing all the normal trill stuff now or?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
and yall keep saying goons got a problem with his face but DaveKap is the only one I can tell being a weird goon about it

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I was genuinely surprised when Grey wasn't dead. Like, I just have come to expect Disco to just kill off whoever and do whatever tragedy without much thought about it. But in retrospect, lol the shitstorm if they killed him after building all this up. That said, kind of confused. Is this just a temp body for grey's symbiote, still capable of doing all the normal trill stuff now or?

Gray's mind is in the body, he doesn't have Tal anymore (and he's not in Tal anymore)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Gray’s face is totally fine. I would say he’s been overacting but the things he’s been reacting to this season are literally “I am about to be resurrected from the dead” and I can imagine that would be a cause for very strong emotion.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Episode was good, the new Ten Forward set looks comfy as hell, and goons are still being weird and lovely about Gray’s actor.

Have they always had that bar? It's so weird they introduced that set four seasons in.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

egg tats posted:

Gray's mind is in the body, he doesn't have Tal anymore (and he's not in Tal anymore)

So Adira still has the symbiote, but is not really joined with it? or is... but in a way unlike normal trill-symbiote pairings? Is Tal okay, like, should they find a new host or something?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Khanstant posted:

So Adira still has the symbiote, but is not really joined with it? or is... but in a way unlike normal trill-symbiote pairings? Is Tal okay, like, should they find a new host or something?

Adira still has the symbiote, minus Grey's memories, Grey is unjoined, and apparently symbiotes can be fine in hosts besides Trills

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

As it was explained, the officer would still want an explanation for what they were gonna do with all of it. Can the nuns lie? The officer might have looked into their lie anyways.

She stole 4 shipments(planets?) worth of dilithium. That's a lot.

She could have said "I've found a nearly extinct race of latinum-people, they need dilithium and protection." The Federation is handing the stuff out like candy to any race that will take it. When Michael said the dilithium was
"for one person" that was a red herring. It wasn't for J'Vini. It was for *checks google* ... the Abronians!

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 3, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Khanstant posted:

You remember in DS9 when Jadzia had her jantara where each of Dax's previous host's memories were temporarily moved into other bodies? Odo+Kurzon really liked the result and Kurzon didn't want to go back? That's what they did to Grey -- they moved his memories out of Tal's body and into a synthetic body. Adira Tal is still fine, just like Jadzia Dax was fine during her jantara.

That's why the guy asked if Tal consented, because Tal is losing all of it's memories and skills from Grey forever. But it seems like Grey and Tal were joined for a very short time, so it isn't a huge loss.

I think the show had Adira play Grey's musical instrument once? Adira won't be able to do that anymore, they have lost Grey's musical training.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Speaking of why didn't, why didn't the space ronin just jack the dilithium when the dropped the shield?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This episode had a lot of potential but really needed a lot of reworking. Like Chef Boyardeez Nuts said, the dilithium should have just been stolen without doing that stupid fight. If they can transport in, surely they could transport it out. Find some better way to have them be identified, like a verteron signature that matches the woman's ship or whatever technobable. Then you have Burnham's mom saying they can't take any phasers, because if they don't abide by the sacred bushido code, what's her face will never listen to them. Then they immediately fall victim to a sneak attack where the woman's sister is killed. Ok, so why are you still sticking to the sword code? Bring phasers in, she clearly isn't interested in listening anyway. And then they wake the ancient race up and then.... don't even talk to them? Maybe they will come back to that race later in the season or something, but what the hell? To seek out new life and new civilizations? There's one right there. This script needed a few more passes and it would have been a great Trek episode.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 3, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was honestly confused for a second by this shot because it's the first time they've let us actually see a ship other than Discovery.

That episode was... good? Mostly? The A plot was anyway. I don't care at all about Gray so those sections just bored me.

Still confused about whether shields block transporters anymore or not. Seems like they just got rid of that idea.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The way the Gray / Adira storyline is cordoned off from the rest of the show I feel like we're going to see it used as an example of how to not include trans actors and characters in the future.

Now that we're at the point Gray will be able to interact with anybody else, we'll see. Something just feels very off keeping their story isolated for as long as they have.

Maybe I'm wrong. Is there a recognized Bechdel-esque test for trans characters, yet?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nichael posted:

Wasn't this just a request Picard made and not a necessity?

Neither Duplicate Picard nor Original Picard actually requested the robot body be mortal. They just decided to give him a lifespan of their own accord.

If I was a robot copy of a dead human I'd be mighty pissed if my builders nerfed my lifespan as a lark.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Super Deuce posted:

The way the Gray / Adira storyline is cordoned off from the rest of the show I feel like we're going to see it used as an example of how to not include trans actors and characters in the future.

Now that we're at the point Gray will be able to interact with anybody else, we'll see. Something just feels very off keeping their story isolated for as long as they have.

Maybe I'm wrong. Is there a recognized Bechdel-esque test for trans characters, yet?

I don't think it's a Bechdel test issue, more a 'we have a trans actor and they have a separate but equal storyline, isn't that great'.

Discovery is not an ensemble show, it's a show about Michael Burnham. I don't think that in itself is a problem at all, but it does mean that you can measure how much the writers actually value any given character by how much screen time they share with Michael.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nichael posted:

Have they always had that bar? It's so weird they introduced that set four seasons in.

I don’t think so, unless I’m forgetting something. The only similar set we’ve seen was that season 1 party in the mess hall or a redress of it. Probably just something they decided to add this season as part of the refit.

Also, I know the show is obviously going to reuse sets whenever possible, but I was disappointed to see that one scene set in the cold open was just a redress of the standard Disco hallway. You’re obviously going to show more 32nd century Starfleet ships in the future, gimme that set already. It sucks seeing these cool organic spindly ships and just making the interiors the same metal-and-gloss-black aesthetic we’ve already been seeing for four years.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
Dare I say that Gray and Adira are also just not good enough actors to carry such a side quest on their own? It feels like typical teen/relationship drama and people would be a lot harsher on it if it didn't at least cover some "new ground" (actually not really new but they treat it that way).

Saru is honestly the only character who has done well when he got his time but anything outside of that is even worse than the Michael Burnham show.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've said before, I'm not sure anyone should be judged on whether they are a good or bad actor based on their work on Disco, because the material they have to work with is garbage and a lot of the time they are clearly given very specific direction on how to play a scene.

Only Anson Mount and Doug Jones have managed to elevate what they've been given.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The General Hospital / Grey's Anatomy / House/ Scrubs Whatever Doctor Shows Trek idea is so exciting I wish I'd never read it since they're not making it. USS Hospital would be great, character drama with weird alien scifi medical problems. Plenty of existing ailments to revisit or deal with, endless potential for new maladies. Would be fun!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Neither Duplicate Picard nor Original Picard actually requested the robot body be mortal. They just decided to give him a lifespan of their own accord.

If I was a robot copy of a dead human I'd be mighty pissed if my builders nerfed my lifespan as a lark.

In defense of that though, Data basically said it sucked to live forever against his will and Picard kinda hinted he didn't want to before they told him not to worry he'll have a normal early 24th century lifespan.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

In defense of that though, Data basically said it sucked to live forever against his will and Picard kinda hinted he didn't want to before they told him not to worry he'll have a normal early 24th century lifespan.

Yeah, Picard looked incredibly unsettled for like the five seconds he thought he was now immortal before they told him he wasn't.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

J33uk posted:

Edit: poo poo, while we're here. The retcon of "Choose to live" feels so loving cheap. "Oh, it's not actually a threat. We want them to live a better life. Oh, if they don't? Then we'll slit them bottom to top but we super hope they want to back down!"

...it's still a threat? Like, even the full version is "Keep doing what you're doing, and I'll kill you, so change direction cuz I'd rather not do that". Which... is what it always read as? Or were people really reading it as "oooh I just love murder"?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Again, main plot felt like a Star Trek episode.

Stamets on N'Var is great becuase he's not someone who would deal with Vulcan BS well. Adira's plot was, eh there? I like the character but this whole runner has not captured me at all.

Also, is it me or they setting Tilly up to leave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It definitely feels like this is going towards Tilly either taking a new post or joining the Milat or something. I suppose it depends on if the show is renewed and/or Mary Wiseman wants to stay on?