Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Now now JRPGs are also for nonces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

easy mode can be called "just stand there and mash buttons like a child" because thats what most of them are

I agree most games are like that

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

goddam man....you're so good at games....its so cool

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm the best at most things so it's natural that I'd also be the best at video games, it is cool indeed but don't worry I'm sure someone somewhere is working on a game right now that I'll be unable to beat, like maybe to get to the end you have to give a really bad blowjob or something else that I'd be incapable of doing (because my blowjobs are impeccable you see)

e: Here's an unpopular opinion, instead of more loving Mario platformers we need a Wario GTA game, place it in New Donk City

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 3, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I want a waluigi game where he explores all of the layers of hell like dantes inferno

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is about video game tutorials is that people tune them out, and rightly, because so many are incredibly tedious and scripted about explaining basic poo poo in ways you'll never internalise. They're something you put up with begrudgingly while waiting for the game to actually let you play it.

Anyone who's had lovely narcissist parents and/or teachers should realise that just being taught isn't enough, because someone really bad at teaching will make the process so tedious, unpleasant and poorly explained that you just never want to do or even think about what they tried to teach you ever again.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

I want a waluigi game where he explores all of the layers of hell like dantes inferno

Someone hasn't played Luigi's Mansion 3 yet

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Imagine being such a broken person that you want your entertainment to be hard. Just go play soccer or basketball or whatever if you want to put in actual effort lmao smhd.

My sister's boyfriend once said to me "you like really hard games, don't you?" I thought, wtf? He said, "yeah I looked through your steam collection, and the games you actually put time in are all the hardest ones".

I don't really know why, but it made me feel really bad about myself. I mean I was mondo depressed at the time so probably anything would, but even looking back now I feel a tinge.

I don't think it's specifically what you're saying because I used to play a poo poo ton of soccer too, but, there's something in it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rutibex posted:

The book or the game?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is about video game tutorials is that people tune them out, and rightly, because so many are incredibly tedious and scripted about explaining basic poo poo in ways you'll never internalise. They're something you put up with begrudgingly while waiting for the game to actually let you play it.

Anyone who's had lovely narcissist parents and/or teachers should realise that just being taught isn't enough, because someone really bad at teaching will make the process so tedious, unpleasant and poorly explained that you just never want to do or even think about what they tried to teach you ever again.

Yeah, the real underlying problem is that instead of putting actual effort into tutorials, working with learning experts to find ways to teach game concepts, etc. developers instead frequently resort to the most blunt and ultimately self-sabotaging methods to desperately shotgun blast players with information in the first ten minutes of gameplay.

The best I can say is at least we're beyond the completely ridiculous days of screens showing a full button layout with zero context.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Thinking about getting into league of legends this weekend

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

:hmmno:

I'd rather think about getting into my grave.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Fighting games are better when cast sizes are roughly 12 to 24 characters and even better when a quarter of them share 70% of their moves with another character. Games with 50+ characters and a thousand subsystems are bloated, tekken 7 drools virtua fighter 5 rools

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I loving knew it.

The tutorial is pretty bad for leaving out a bunch of stuff (literally doesn't explain what a Jungler is) but coming from Dota you should be fine.

If you've got amazon Prime, there's a real good twitch prime thing at the moment where you get a bunch of stuff every month, including RP which is the currency you can normally only get with pounds quid that's used for cosmetics. (Plus I think some free champs / other bits?)

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
On easy mode - the original xcom had a glitch that would put you on the easiest mode no matter what and it was still fuckin hard

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

ONLY easy modes instead.

That's every AAA game since 2005.

John Murdoch posted:

The best I can say is at least we're beyond the completely ridiculous days of screens showing a full button layout with zero context.

Unironically, that's a better and more useful tutorial than 95% of tutorials in games.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 3, 2021

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

On easy mode - the original xcom had a glitch that would put you on the easiest mode no matter what and it was still fuckin hard

People talk about XCom 2 and I'm like "I don't remember that happening in Terror From the Deep?"

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Forget about easy modes, bring back cheat codes in every game. That's a tradition that inexplicably died sometime in the mid 2000s.That guy who used a trainer to get through Sekiro should be allowed to just enter a cheat code into the console and get himself an assault rifle.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The best use of the easy mode is when a game calls their only two difficulties "easy" and "normal" instead of "normal" and hard" like in FTL. It makes no functional difference at all, but it causes babies to complain about being told they are playing on easy and I find that funny.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If you play on easy you should just say you're bad at video games instead of going on about how you're an important busy man with a job and family or whatever. Its okay, just admit that you're not very good, nobody is gonna judge you.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

KonvexKonkav posted:

That guy who used a trainer to get through Sekiro should be allowed to just enter a cheat code into the console and get himself an assault rifle.

That was me, i ended up feeling really shallow about that one. Went back and restarted legit and got up to the guardian ape before battering my head against him 40 times in a weekend and getting so fed up i uninstalled

!Klams posted:

I loving knew it.

The tutorial is pretty bad for leaving out a bunch of stuff (literally doesn't explain what a Jungler is) but coming from Dota you should be fine.

If you've got amazon Prime, there's a real good twitch prime thing at the moment where you get a bunch of stuff every month, including RP which is the currency you can normally only get with pounds quid that's used for cosmetics. (Plus I think some free champs / other bits?)

Thanks. When you've put 4000 hours into one moba the idea of loading up another one just to get blazed and have mindless fun is very appealing

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 3, 2021

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

JollyBoyJohn posted:

That was me, i ended up feeling really shallow about that one. Went back and restarted legit and got up to the guardian ape before battering my head against him 40 times in a weekend and getting so fed up i uninstalled

Thanks. When you've put 4000 hours into one moba the idea of loading up another one just to get blazed and have mindless fun is very appealing

You got through the fun half at least. The 2nd half of Sekiro isn't quite as good as the 1st one and nobody should feel bad about cheating through it imo. The highlight of the whole game is the Gonichumi fight.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Caesar Saladin posted:

If you play on easy you should just say you're bad at video games instead of going on about how you're an important busy man with a job and family or whatever. Its okay, just admit that you're not very good, nobody is gonna judge you.

Being good at games is relative and mostly to do with a child-like ability to learn, improvise and break things or the very adult adult tendency to grind the fun out of them.

I can’t seem to do either as well as I used to.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
You should be made to choose a difficulty level when you buy a game. Want to change it? Buy the game again you indecisive gently caress.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Icochet posted:

You should be made to choose a difficulty level when you buy a game. Want to change it? Buy the game again you indecisive gently caress.

LOL Fire Emblem actually did this, but it's Nintendo so of course they did

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Caesar Saladin posted:

Wrong I will judge you.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Icochet posted:

I've said it before in this very thread, but it is weird how games are like the only media where to get all the content, you have to pass a skill check. Like if there was a book, and you got 'To read the final chapter, demonstrate an understanding of the central themes, and explain the significance of the conch' it would be kinda hosed up and potentially a bit classist. Like I get that games aren't as 'important' necessarily, but, y'know, all the same, it's sort of weird that someone without good aim doesn't get to see how the end of your favourite game* plays out.

(*-I have to go with that here because this thread loving hates all games and if I gave any example, someone would just go "WELL THAT WOULD BE A loving BLESSING BECAUSE [widely loved game] IS ACTUALLY DOG-CUM MIXED WITH HORSE poo poo")

/Edit: Could I have gotten away with Titanfall 2? I think that game is safe...

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
I bought Undertale for the Switch on Thanksgiving Day at 9am and beat it before the turkey even went into the oven at 1pm.

I love me some old school RPGs, especially Earth Bound and the like, but what a loving let down.

The game had a grand total of 7 NPCs. One single village to explore, with a grand total of four houses.

I don't know how or why anyone recommends this game. It's like playing a demo of a game. It would be like if Earth Bound ended after leaving Onett.

The battle mechanic was really cool but considering there was like 12 enemies the entire game (including bosses) it's not exactly something I got to experience much.

I can't remember ever being so let down by a game in my life. And it has like a 99% approval rating. It sucks poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
More like Underwhelmingtale!!!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
There is something about the level of emotional attachment people have to undertale which is very cringe worthy

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

There is something about the level of emotional attachment people have to undertale which is very cringe worthy

I was told to never post in the Switch thread again because I said the game was way too short and sucked. So your theory tracks correctly.

I think it might be the fastest I ever beat a game aside from Jaws for the NES.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

!Klams posted:

I've said it before in this very thread, but it is weird how games are like the only media where to get all the content, you have to pass a skill check. Like if there was a book, and you got 'To read the final chapter, demonstrate an understanding of the central themes, and explain the significance of the conch' it would be kinda hosed up and potentially a bit classist. Like I get that games aren't as 'important' necessarily, but, y'know, all the same, it's sort of weird that someone without good aim doesn't get to see how the end of your favourite game* plays out.

i see you have never read Infinite Jest

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blooster posted:

I bought Undertale for the Switch on Thanksgiving Day at 9am and beat it before the turkey even went into the oven at 1pm.

I love me some old school RPGs, especially Earth Bound and the like, but what a loving let down.

The game had a grand total of 7 NPCs. One single village to explore, with a grand total of four houses.

I don't know how or why anyone recommends this game. It's like playing a demo of a game. It would be like if Earth Bound ended after leaving Onett.

The battle mechanic was really cool but considering there was like 12 enemies the entire game (including bosses) it's not exactly something I got to experience much.

I can't remember ever being so let down by a game in my life. And it has like a 99% approval rating. It sucks poo poo.

should have bought Romancing Saga 3 noob

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Blooster posted:

I was told to never post in the Switch thread again because I said the game was way too short and sucked. So your theory tracks correctly.

I think it might be the fastest I ever beat a game aside from Jaws for the NES.

Jaws for the nes is legit hilarious though. I wrote a walkthrough for gamefaqs for it when i was like 10.lol what a crappy but oddly charming game

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

!Klams posted:

Youtube exists tho

You can see everything

Not even price is a barrier because you don't have to buy the game to see every single bit of content

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 3, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Let's plays are cool and i support people creating them but screenshot lets plays are a lower form of entertainment than anime

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
If you play on easy don't complain about tutorials. Maybe you should play the entire tutorial then out it on normal.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Radio stations usually just put on a long playlist at night but how about filling that airtime with someone narrating video game stories in a really tired voice

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Speaking of let's plays, does anyone know any good ones with 2+ players? I liked the let's play 25 years of final fantasy one (rip.) It's a lot more fun listening to people shoot the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Let's plays are cool and i support people creating them but screenshot lets plays are a lower form of entertainment than anime

:tipshat:
everyone please check out my Path of Exile Scourge League Lets Play! lots of screenshots for everyone to enjoy. the new infinite delve is unlocked today, will i be able to reach the bottom? :ohdear:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982511