Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

also Demonslayer is shonen and that is dope as hell, so it's not an excuse

Eh, it's C-tier shonen with an A-tier adaptation. There's not much to it behind that shiny coat of UFOTable paint. I'm more into Jujutsu Kaisen for slick modern shonen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Srice posted:

the kind of slow overexplaining anime pacing I like is in a particular kind of sports anime where it takes like 5 minutes of internal monologue before the pitcher throws the ball

That or gambling anime

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

all other anime will become obsolete once Chainsaw Man comes out :kheldragar:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Araki’s writing style of “let me make a boss fight based on this science/biology fact I just learned” rules.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ghost in the shell overexplained everything and yet still didn't explain anything. It's great and I need to rewatch it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HerraS posted:

all other anime will become obsolete once Chainsaw Man comes out :kheldragar:

The anime that will never overexplain anything to anyone!
e: loved the manga.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i don't really read manga because i'm lazy but a friend told me that chainsaw man was worth the time and i wound up reading the entire thing in one day. poo poo's good

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Mirello posted:

lol, if people stopping to explain whats going on padding things out gets on your nerves, I feel as though anime might not be your thing. tough for me to think of one that doesn't drown in over-exposition. it's just a trait of the genre

overexplaining is sort of a problem with Jojo, but it's carried by the sheer sense of style and artistry. I could watch any Joestar explain whatever while doing a Vogue pose all day. Really, the overexplaining goes a long way to ratcheting up dramatic tension.

Serf posted:

i don't really read manga because i'm lazy but a friend told me that chainsaw man was worth the time and i wound up reading the entire thing in one day. poo poo's good

Same, really. Everything I saw about Chainsawman in the ephemeral pop culture I liked, so I gave it a shot and couldn't stop reading. Even the manga trailers are insane. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPB_J6Egi28

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Dec 3, 2021

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Ghost in the shell overexplained everything and yet still didn't explain anything. It's great and I need to rewatch it.

i enjoyed the episode in 2nd gig thats just a vrchat debate

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

That or gambling anime

:hai:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

thanks for reminding me about chainsaw man

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i'm fine with jojo explaining stuff because they have characters with weird and confusing powers who actually have to use them to win, so sometimes stuff needs explanation.

unlike every other show where the main characters usually win by being so strong they just overpower the enemy

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Srice posted:

the kind of slow overexplaining anime pacing I like is in a particular kind of sports anime where it takes like 5 minutes of internal monologue before the pitcher throws the ball

HNI did it well

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its cool how takamura and co are in the hyperbolic time chamber whenever they're spectating

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

HootTheOwl posted:

GitS: SAC explains stuff like you are a character in that world so you would obviously be familiar with its Japanese and global politics and world history. It rules.

The amount of anime watching is conserved: either you watch hundreds of over-explaining episodes of one anime, or you watch GitS multiple times.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Srice posted:

There's a volleyball coach on youtube who's been watching Haikyuu and he got to one of those moments and he was like yeah, it seems ridiculous but that kind of stuff does go through your head in seconds.

I think part of it is that our brain can zip through a bunch of loosely related and abstract thoughts pretty quickly, but you can't really unbundle them and write them out in full sentences for the viewer in the same amount of time.

Anyway Namek only took five minutes to explode.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i love when the jojos interrupt the battle to explain at long length their galaxy brain schemes to turn the situation around. its really cool & fun. i also liked when Speedwagon was doing that for a while, just following the jojo around being loudly astonished at everything that's happening and describing it in great detail

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Good soup! posted:

HNI did it well

HNI is so well done top to bottom that you could repaint it into whatever shonen trope setting outside of boxing and it would still hold up

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Best kind of show tbh. Just vibing and taking in information as I please.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

For whatever reason I've been on an intense lupin iiird kick. Liked it from years and years ago but it's so far back I don't remember what I actually watched. what's the best lupin iiird thing to watch that I haven't seen yet?

so far:
castle of cagliostro - pretty good. it's miyazaki
mystery of mamo - started promising but then sucked rear end. i want a fun heist not this weird dog poo poo alien guy. awful!
daisuke jigen's gravestone - hell yes. HELL yes
bloodspray of goemon ishikawa - yes!!! gently caress yes!!!!
lie of fujiko mine - awful poo poo garbage. terrible. loving naruto rear end bad guy and a horrible kid. throw this movie in the trash.

started watching the woman called fujiko mine because I liked the animation style but man the actual content is awful. slow, boring, plots with terrible fart sniffing anime philosophy dialogue. gave up after 3 eps.
switched to part IV, way better, feels like lupin. I'm ~5 eps in and will probably keep watching unless someone points me elsewhere.
I skipped the first few parts because the old animation style doesn't really appeal to me, but if the stories are there I'd be into it.

if it helps, stuff I like about lupin is:
- fun adventures in burglary
- when lupin quadruple crosses a motherfucker
- guys being dudes

any recommendations very appreciated, thank's in advance

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

For whatever reason I've been on an intense lupin iiird kick. Liked it from years and years ago but it's so far back I don't remember what I actually watched. what's the best lupin iiird thing to watch that I haven't seen yet?

so far:
castle of cagliostro - pretty good. it's miyazaki
mystery of mamo - started promising but then sucked rear end. i want a fun heist not this weird dog poo poo alien guy. awful!
daisuke jigen's gravestone - hell yes. HELL yes
lie of fujiko mine - awful poo poo garbage. terrible. loving naruto rear end bad guy and a horrible kid. throw this movie in the trash.

started watching the woman called fujiko mine because I liked the animation style but man the actual content is awful. slow, boring, plots with terrible fart sniffing anime philosophy dialogue. gave up after 3 eps.
switched to part IV, way better, feels like lupin. I'm ~5 eps in and will probably keep watching unless someone points me elsewhere.
I skipped the first few parts because the old animation style doesn't really appeal to me, but if the stories are there I'd be into it.

if it helps, stuff I like about lupin is:
- fun adventures in burglary
- when lupin quadruple crosses a motherfucker
- guys being dudes

any recommendations very appreciated, thank's in advance

Part 1 rules a lot because half of it is Miyazaki & Takahata and half of it isn't, so you get a good variety of stories ranging from stuff that Miyazaki loves to do, to Lupin setting a guy on fire and laughing at him as he dies. The first half in particular has some real cool poo poo in it and music-wise it's unlike the rest of the series; Yuji Ohno didn't work on Lupin until the 2nd tv series so you get cool poo poo like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1FQSWfXeus

The animation looks dated, no denying that, but honestly it feels dated in a different way than most anime of its vintage if that makes sense? If nothing else give the first episode a shot and see how you like it (Or episode 4, which is one of the greatest Lupin episodes out there).

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

drat that sounds good. thank you! I’ll check this out immediately

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The opening for part I is terrible but also catchy so be warned.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

:mods:
Ban worthy post imo!!!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Fujiko stands in the way of the Lupin/Zenigata ship

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

christmas boots posted:

Fujiko stands in the way of the Lupin/Zenigata ship

a conceptualization where Lupin wants Fujiko, Zenigata wants Lupin, and Fujiko wants Zenigata

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Lupin III gang is an enormous polycule of crime

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Golden Kamui was indeed pretty cool. Also, I'm hungry now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

true

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

folks, srice wasn't lying and part I does indeed whip sack.

I'm still not in love with that older style of animation in general (or rather, the ¥200/ep budgets everyone had at the time) but lupin's is really charming in certain ways and doesn't have the weird tonal incongruities I thought mamo had. I'll probably knock out the rest of part I by this time next week. 3/3 lupins.

christmas boots posted:

The opening for part I is terrible but also catchy so be warned.

lupin the third lupin the third lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin
badababaddbababbadababdaba
lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin the third

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

folks, srice wasn't lying and part I does indeed whip sack.

I'm still not in love with that older style of animation in general (or rather, the ¥200/ep budgets everyone had at the time) but lupin's is really charming in certain ways and doesn't have the weird tonal incongruities I thought mamo had. I'll probably knock out the rest of part I by this time next week. 3/3 lupins.

lupin the third lupin the third lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin
badababaddbababbadababdaba
lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin lupin the third

:cheerdoge:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Watched goemons blood spray. Meh, not my fave but I did appreciate fujiko smoking weed. It's my transition goal to look half as hot while doing so

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Watched goemons blood spray. Meh, not my fave but I did appreciate fujiko smoking weed. It's my transition goal to look half as hot while doing so

I know fujiko is, in terms of character design, a vehicle for generations of pervert animators to get extremely horny about, but it really bugged me when she went and horked down on the tube. you're supposed to use the mouthpiece! god!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

mods change my name to Hork My Tube

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

drat caught up with chainsaw man and alita

Anyone got any good violent crazy mangas to recommend?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Lupin III

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Akumetsu
Berserk
Iirc, the lady who does Murcielago started it specifically because she wanted an excuse to draw lots of gore and tits. But it pretty quickly becomes about the weird family that sorta accumulates around the government-sanctioned murderous lesbian .

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I had the vague memory that whatever the guy did earlier turned out pretty lame. Fire Punch? Is Chainsaw man new and improved?

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

genericnick posted:

I had the vague memory that whatever the guy did earlier turned out pretty lame. Fire Punch? Is Chainsaw man new and improved?

chainsaw man is leagues better than his previous work fire punch, give it 10 chapters and if you aren’t a fan drop it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Ragna Crimson. The action choreography is incredible.