Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dik Hz posted:

Nah, we'd be the undercard. I think Motronic would probably be the headliner somehow.

Sure, but the undercard fight is always the more interesting one. We'd get a good 30 minutes of you two chasing each other around and then just fifteen seconds of Motronic pile driving someone who waved the inspection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Motronic rigs the thunderdome to collapse with one touch to a supporting beam, crushing his opponent while he calmly lights up a cigar, the ruins of the dome smoldering around him, the wreckage somehow still up to code

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

His opponent would be Bitcoin home buyer goon

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I would watch this show.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Johnny Truant posted:

His opponent would be Bitcoin home buyer goon

Zillow Algorithm

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

moana posted:

Motronic rigs the thunderdome to collapse with one touch to a supporting beam, crushing his opponent while he calmly lights up a cigar, the ruins of the dome smoldering around him, the wreckage somehow still up to code

The beams have collapsed into a perfect grid. He steps atop them just as the ready mix truck pulls up to pour what will be the foundation for his new home.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, but the undercard fight is always the more interesting one. We'd get a good 30 minutes of you two chasing each other around and then just fifteen seconds of Motronic pile driving someone who waved the inspection.

I wouldn't last 30 minutes. He'd be able to quickly gauge my weak points!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

No word from seller’s agent regarding sewer block/results of clean out after our scope showed roots.

Joy.

The sewer line that runs below the garage.

Just said "gently caress it" and called the company that cleaned out the sewer line myself. Guy on the phone said everything was great: the cast iron portion looked great and the clay portion was in great shape too.

gently caress looks like we're buying a house.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Just said "gently caress it" and called the company that cleaned out the sewer line myself. Guy on the phone said everything was great: the cast iron portion looked great and the clay portion was in great shape too.

:screamy:

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Did a mold inspection on a whim at the place I was thinking of getting. Turns out the joint is toxic. Dodged a bullet baby!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://i.imgur.com/qxzF2cm.gifv

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Please do not doxx me.

Garage guy came out. It’s going to happen!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

lmao :golfclap:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

jfc if only gifs could be thread titles :pusheen:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

:perfect:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Seller agreed to installing a second cleanout for the sewer drain, just in case.

This is going too smoothly now. Karma is going to screw us on the appraisal.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

moana posted:

the thunderdome is actually goverhaus so there's no chance of it being up to code

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kind of looking like we will might rent for a year

Depends on if the relocation package will buy our our house above what we paid for it, or we end up underwater on the deal. In that case we'd rent the condo at a loss at least until the market recovers

Our refinance appraisal came in 30k above our purchase price but I think we got lucky we are a youngish family and the appraiser was a mom, I doubt we'll get that lucky again

Anyways, has anyone approached a seller about a rent to own scheme? How terrible is this idea? Will sellers even consider this?Presumably we need to cash out the real estate agent their 5% for them to even consider the deal. Googling this, I think what we want is a lease-purchase agreement

We're still mostly tapped out from buying our condo, but we're cash flow positive (especially for the low CoL area were moving to) and have a bunch of payouts that happen in 2022 that would allow us to buy in 2022/23

Option B and C is to buy a substancially cheaper house, or rent something that's formally on the rental market and buy/build later. Neither of these options are great because I loving hate moving, and I don't want to do it twice after moving cross country if I can at all help it

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Are all sellers / buyers during the process required to fill out and sign a FIRPTA Certification form? Even when the seller / buyer are US Citizens?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 3, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think technically no in a private all cash transaction, based on a FAQ on a Wisconsin government website. If you're going through a lender they may be able to require you to sign it as part of the mortgage agreement

I'm not a lawyer though, I'd consult one if that matters to you

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Anyways, has anyone approached a seller about a rent to own scheme? How terrible is this idea? Will sellers even consider this?Presumably we need to cash out the real estate agent their 5% for them to even consider the deal. Googling this, I think what we want is a lease-purchase agreement

These are almost universally bad ideas/bad deals, particularly for the "buyer".

Just on their face why would someone want to loan you money that a bank, who evaluates risk and loans money as their business, doesn't want to? And if they do how are they making up for that risk? It's often both interest rate and TERRIBLE terms, like losing the house and all "equity" if you're 15 minutes late on a payment. Including the very last one. Or huge fees for "buying out" the contract.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
Well, I think I'll be firing my agent after only a few days. We found a sweet 50's ranch on a big lot and went for a visit. It smelled like a bowling alley in the 80's (old cigarette smell, likely smoked in over 65 years) and it had a giant oil furnace connected to an underground oil tank, likely original from the 50's. It's an estate and the prior occupant has been dead for 1.5 years, so we're really smelling 63.5 years of perma-smoke seeping out of the walls.

The sellers won't remove the oil tank but were willing to make other concessions, though I will not take on the oil tank liability so we walked even before considering the impossibility of removing the permanent smoke smell. Our agent "didn't really notice the smell" that we found overwhelming (maybe she smokes?) and said we could just paint over it, which we can't. She also didn't have any issues making an offer on a house with a 65 year old underground oil tank. She's been an agent for 20 years and has apparently learned little about acting in the best interest of the client. If we were first time buyers, we very well could have purchased this nightmare of a house. This entire industry pisses me off in that you need to watch every move of everyone involved.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Magicaljesus posted:

She's been an agent for 20 years and has apparently learned little about acting in the best interest of the client.

That's how you last more than ~3 years in the industry, unfortunately.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
First time home buyer here who has no idea what he's doing. My brother recommended getting our preapproval from a mortgage broker, but the realtor we met with recommended getting preapproved with a loan officer she works with. Is there an advantage to one over the other?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Bwee posted:

First time home buyer here who has no idea what he's doing. My brother recommended getting our preapproval from a mortgage broker, but the realtor we met with recommended getting preapproved with a loan officer she works with. Is there an advantage to one over the other?

The answer is whoever gives you a better rate, and there's no reason not to talk to both. Call a few local credit unions and banks too. It doesn't hurt your credit score to shop around (they ding you for the first pull but not the subsequent ones, within I think 60 14 days).

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 3, 2021

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Depends on if you value having a local office you can go to to yell at your lender in person. But the real thing is to just let them both give you their best offers and pit them against each other. I believe you have a 2 week window with credit inquiries for a mortgage that they only count as one check. That way you can shop around without being punished.

Edit: one of us is wrong about thist window and I hope it's me.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

No i looked it up and you're right lol, I knew it was 2 somethings, turns out it's weeks and not months

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Magicaljesus posted:

This entire industry pisses me off in that you need to watch every move of everyone involved.

Basically everyone involved in this process is a salesman: the agents on both sides, the mortgage broker, the inspector, any contractors you hire for inspections/estimates for work, appraiser (please don't open this can of worms again), and of course, the house's current owner themselves. You, the buyer, is the only one bringing actual money to the table; everyone else is trying to leech as much of that money from you as possible, while also maintaining relationships that ensure they continue to find new suckers buyers in the future.

As a buyer, one should adopt the same stance and mental preparation one would if they walked onto a used car lot. When interacting with someone in this process, always be looking for the angle with which they are attempting to gently caress you.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

B-Nasty posted:

Basically everyone involved in this process is a salesman: the agents on both sides, the mortgage broker, the inspector, any contractors you hire for inspections/estimates for work, appraiser (please don't open this can of worms again), and of course, the house's current owner themselves. You, the buyer, is the only one bringing actual money to the table; everyone else is trying to leech as much of that money from you as possible, while also maintaining relationships that ensure they continue to find new suckers buyers in the future.

As a buyer, one should adopt the same stance and mental preparation one would if they walked onto a used car lot. When interacting with someone in this process, always be looking for the angle with which they are attempting to gently caress you.
There are good agents out there who will represent you well. But they can be tough to identify.

But, yeah, it is very important to remember that they are sales people at the end of the day and your interests are not perfectly aligned.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Get a pre-approval from whoever and put that document in your offer along with a financing contingency

Once your offer is accepted by the seller, the pre approval is just fluff, you can now go shop your rate from among 99 other people and get them to bid down

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Sorry guys, what did I miss? I got an erection out of nowhere and knew it had to be interest rate talk.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Did you all see the video from Better.com CEO Vishal Garg laying off workers that is making the rounds? Seems tangentially relevant enough to post here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7GVklRqHRY

I very nearly went with Better earlier this year. There's no "good" way to do this that won't get screen recorded and shared (that I'm aware of), but what a total bungling.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I went with Better and it was incredibly smooth, fast, and by far the lowest closing costs & interest rate by a MILE

I'm on the 3rd loan servicer since then but I definitely liked my experience with them. Sucks that it isn't a consistent level of quality

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

How bad of an idea are outdoor pools?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

pokie posted:

How bad of an idea are outdoor pools?

They are expensive and time consuming to maintain but if you really like having your own outdoor pool, then they are the only way to have your own outdoor pool. Plenty of people do it and like it :shrug:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

alnilam posted:

They are expensive and time consuming to maintain but if you really like having your own outdoor pool, then they are the only way to have your own outdoor pool. Plenty of people do it and like it :shrug:

There is a house we'll look at this weekend that has one, and my partner has this wild idea of converting it into a greenhouse. I imagine that would tank the resale value, but still. If we end up going with that place, I want to at least try using it as a pool for one year.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Like you empty the pool and put plants inside and cover it with acrylic/glass? Seems like it would be a very light-limited greenhouse.

Worth noting that pool maintenance (and enjoyment factor) also depends on your local climate. If you live in a place with winter where a greenhouse is useful, you're also talking about only 3-5 months a year of the pool being any fun, and more complicated maintenance, if it is kept as a pool. Idk just some thoughts of mine. I've still known people who live in colder climates who had a pool and loved it, just big pool lovers, more power to them.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Inner Light posted:

Did you all see the video from Better.com CEO Vishal Garg laying off workers that is making the rounds? Seems tangentially relevant enough to post here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7GVklRqHRY

I very nearly went with Better earlier this year. There's no "good" way to do this that won't get screen recorded and shared (that I'm aware of), but what a total bungling.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/11/30/better-com-gets-750m-cash-infusion-in-new-agreement-with-its-spac-backers/

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

alnilam posted:

Like you empty the pool and put plants inside and cover it with acrylic/glass? Seems like it would be a very light-limited greenhouse.

Worth noting that pool maintenance (and enjoyment factor) also depends on your local climate. If you live in a place with winter where a greenhouse is useful, you're also talking about only 3-5 months a year of the pool being any fun, and more complicated maintenance, if it is kept as a pool. Idk just some thoughts of mine. I've still known people who live in colder climates who had a pool and loved it, just big pool lovers, more power to them.

I had relatives who bought a house with a pool they didn't want and went to the expense of removing it. Spoiler: it was NOT cheap. Leaving it in place to basically just rot wasn't an option for a bunch of reasons, including not having the yard space but IIRC something also about drainage. Oh and it's a big spot for standing water to pool and become a swamp / mosquito habitat so there's that.

I'd never look at a house with a pool if I wasn't actively interested in having a pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Family I grew up with removed theirs after the kids left because it was a cost nightmare, and it was a cost nightmare to remove it, too. I think it was like fifteen grand or something.