Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MisterOblivious posted:

You seemed to have missed the whole point of the post. Some charity shops aren't raising money for charity, they're attempting to directly serve people. OP is literally denying those clothes to the people the charity is trying to serve by flipping them. The shops aren't trying to maximize profit, I know the concept can be hard for some people to understand, they're trying to clothe people who have difficulty affording clothing.

a "charity" aimed at people who can't afford clothes charging the ostensible beneficiaries money and then losing its poo poo on them for using the stuff they've bought in what the owners consider an incorrect way is such a twisted and depraved concept that on reflection I'm shocked it isn't more common

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

PancakeTransmission posted:

Maybe because medical bills don't bankrupt us? :shrug:

Give it time, Boris is workin' on it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i provide bulk housing to the poor at a below market rate made affordable by not spending money maintaining the property. if anyone has a friend over to their place they're evicted; if you want to start your own hotel or nightclub go buy one rear end in a top hat. I'm a charity!

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 3, 2021

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Is the "charity" part where they offer clothes at low prices, or is it where they take the profits they make and help the poor?

Either way, how are her actions negatively impacting anyone else? She's not flipping so much that the stores are running out of stock, because she's only flipping things that are worth flipping. Your $2 5-year-old Hanes t-shirts aren't fetching massive profits on Instagram. And if you need a shirt that badly, do you really care what brand it is?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

but but but it feels wrong at first glance

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Arbitrage is actually providing a service since you’re reallocating resources from where they’re going to sit around and gather dust to where they’re actually going to get used. Is the charity shop actually running out of stuff to where it makes sense for them to ration? It would be the first secondhand store I’ve ever seen do that. Usually you can see some stuff hang out there for months.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what's great is if she just takes the clothes she's given sold and wears them and makes no effort to use what she's got to pull herself out of poverty she's a lazy parasite also undeserving of secondhand Hanes V-necks. You literally cannot win!

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Can't believe my tax dollars are supporting someone on food stamps when they also wear Nikes. Maybe if they sold those designer clothes I wouldn't have to pay for their food!!! Share this post if you're not afraid to let Facebook know you love Jesus.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Arbitrage is actually providing a service since you’re reallocating resources from where they’re going to sit around and gather dust to where they’re actually going to get used. Is the charity shop actually running out of stuff to where it makes sense for them to ration? It would be the first secondhand store I’ve ever seen do that. Usually you can see some stuff hang out there for months.

She's also giving them room for more inventory. Where I'm at, the stores just stay filled to the brim and the donation sites stay packed.

Edit:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what's great is if she just takes the clothes she's given sold and wears them and makes no effort to use what she's got to pull herself out of poverty she's a lazy parasite also undeserving of secondhand Hanes V-necks. You literally cannot win!

But, you see, she's breaking the RULES

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what the owners consider an incorrect way

I'd bet money that the owners of the shop have no idea she's been banned. This is 100% a rules-follower that's upset because someone else is doing what she's not allowed to do.

Variable 5 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 3, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

wilderthanmild posted:

There's a tenant at my apartment complex that has been complaining to my complex. Today, he made up a heniois lie about my roomate and I...

Sounds like typical OP probably leaving the real details out stuff so far, but nothing obvious, just that he looks trashy and apparently let a dog get out once?

Lets see some of his replies

Loud music would definitely get me upset, especially since his definition of okay is "before midnight".

Hmmm I wonder what's wrong with his teeth?

Let's check his most recent post

Oh, I think I might have an idea why OP's neighbors a worried about having him living there.
r/relationships: it would make more sense to call meth+H a speedball

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I wonder if the charity shop worker was the one that priced the clothes. Could be some aspect of feeling foolish for underpricing them.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my baby's mother she only breastfeeds to keep me from having visitation

Oh hey I remember this guy.

AITA for calling my baby's mother petty for not letting me be in the delivery room?

same op posted:

rear end in a top hat

My ex and I were engaged but broke it off early into her pregnancy. We had a lot of issues, but our breakup was precipitated by her catching me sexting people behind her back and a couple of flings. Overall, we have kept it amicable through her pregnancy but I definitely wouldn't call us friends.

I called to check on her since she is due within the next month and asked what the plan for delivery was. I guess I assumed I would be in the room when the baby is being born. She told me due to COVID precautions she is only allowed one person with her while she is in the hospital and she's going to have her best friend with her-that I could meet the baby once she gets home. I got angry and told her it was petty and vindictive to not allow me in the room to witness our child's birth. She snapped back and told me she needs someone who brings her comfort and she can be vulnerable with and that's not me. AITA for calling her petty in this situation?

Edit to add: Since these have been questioned in the comments -I cheated on her. Yes some of it was before she was pregnant, she broke it off cause she caught me sexting when we were laying in bed one night and then found all the other stuff -We ended on the note we would try to be friends for the baby. We were going to try to go to counseling and see if we could fix things and work it out for the baby but then she caught me in a lie (not cheating again but related to lying trying to minimize her hurt due to what I'd done) and she cut me off completely other than giving me updates after each appointment and inviting me to a 3D ultrasound. It's been entirely her choice to not be friends. -Her best friend hasn't even been around for her pregnancy since she's been traveling for work. She's only coming back now to help with labor and recovery then leaving again. -Last, part of why I feel it's pettiness motivating her choices is cause she is using COVID as a reason to keep my family from meeting the baby. She told me she thinks only my parents should meet her until she gets a bit older, and wants them to wear masks. But she's still working as a nurse getting exposed to COVID DAILY so how is it really that much of a concern to her. I feel like it's about control over the baby.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Variable 5 posted:

She's also giving them room for more inventory. Where I'm at, the stores just stay filled to the brim and the donation sites stay packed.

Exactly. Donation stores get so full, they throw crap out. Anyone who comes to help move product along to people who actually want it, rather than it festering until they toss it in the dumpster, is providing a service.

As for assuming you know how that thrift store works because it calls itself charity - I worked at a 'charity thrift store' in my teens, and you know what that entailed?

They had a few items on the floor with special price tags where a portion of the price would be going to the charity listed. The rest of the store was just pure profit for my bosses and none of it was charity-based. All of their product was from donations from people who thought it would help the needy.

When the store got too full, they would make us cut up the clothes before putting them in the dumpster so that the homeless wouldn't get free things.

That was 20 years ago, you think this hellworld has gotten better since then about this stuff? I'm not saying that this charity store is that bad, but maybe step off policing items worth a handful of dollars when you don't even know how that place works and let this person loving do their thing, which actually provides a service.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

killerwhat posted:

I wonder if the charity shop worker was the one that priced the clothes. Could be some aspect of feeling foolish for underpricing them.

All the ones I know of do flat pricing, like $3 for a shirt, $10 for a suit coat, $5 for pants.

At a previous job, my hallway neighbor managed a resale shop run by her religious group or whatever. She frequently complained that the biggest issues she had to deal with was employees hiding good stuff hoping that it would still be there after whatever period of time they had to wait before they could buy it, and not enough room to store the donations. If they had been able to set pricing, they could have just marked it way up to discourage buyers and then switched tags the day of the sale. It's not like they have LP or inventory control, either.

The obvious solution is to spraypaint the shop's name onto everything they sell, along with the sale price.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Variable 5 posted:

All the ones I know of do flat pricing, like $3 for a shirt, $10 for a suit coat, $5 for pants.

At a previous job, my hallway neighbor managed a resale shop run by her religious group or whatever. She frequently complained that the biggest issues she had to deal with was employees hiding good stuff hoping that it would still be there after whatever period of time they had to wait before they could buy it, and not enough room to store the donations. If they had been able to set pricing, they could have just marked it way up to discourage buyers and then switched tags the day of the sale. It's not like they have LP or inventory control, either.

The obvious solution is to spraypaint the shop's name onto everything they sell, along with the sale price.

i saw that episode of superstore

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

i saw that episode of superstore

I've never even *heard* of that until now. I'm gonna have to look that one up.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I know someone who used to work at REI, and she said that when they do their annual sale of returned/damaged items, the employees not only get first pick, but they also get to mark the prices the items are sold at. So they mark the items they want really cheaply and then buy them up themselves. I've still got some of the camping gear she scored for me. Good old connection-based economy.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

trickybiscuits posted:

Okay but consider: just serving him papers isn't funny

She posted this at the end of March. The greatest pain she had ever experienced was not seeing her grandchild for four months.

I don't like posting this stuff in the Estranged Parents thread anymore because I'm afraid it will give someone a flashback.

And I like this one because it's such a good insight into how these people think:

Ah yes, children and teenagers, famously known for having no problems, particularly with moving multiple times.

My favourite type of poster on the Estranged Losers forum is definitely the one who isn't even actually estranged.

quote:

Fortunately, my daughter and her husband have set up a page on their phone where they can post pictures/videos of my two grandchildren for various members of their family which includes 4 grandparents, aunts and uncles. I will give them credit for that because that at least allows me to see updated pictures of my two precious ones and I love it. Periodically they will do Facetime with me and my husband which they did on/about Halloween and Thanksgiving. [...]

When we Facetime, she’s very talkative though. [...]

If I send clothes for the kids, I may see them on them…or not. [...]I’ll do as she does which is send a Happy Birthday text later at night, after the day is over.
To recap: the daughter is in frequent communication, posts photos for her to look at, allows safe contact with the grandkids, and sends messages on holidays. But because she's not immediately available at all times, and because she's trying to keep her unvaccinated kids safe (no mention of granny's vax status, I noticed), she's "pulling away". :ok:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Exactly. Donation stores get so full, they throw crap out. Anyone who comes to help move product along to people who actually want it, rather than it festering until they toss it in the dumpster, is providing a service.

As for assuming you know how that thrift store works because it calls itself charity - I worked at a 'charity thrift store' in my teens, and you know what that entailed?

They had a few items on the floor with special price tags where a portion of the price would be going to the charity listed. The rest of the store was just pure profit for my bosses and none of it was charity-based. All of their product was from donations from people who thought it would help the needy.

When the store got too full, they would make us cut up the clothes before putting them in the dumpster so that the homeless wouldn't get free things.

That was 20 years ago, you think this hellworld has gotten better since then about this stuff? I'm not saying that this charity store is that bad, but maybe step off policing items worth a handful of dollars when you don't even know how that place works and let this person loving do their thing, which actually provides a service.

That would be hardcore illegal in the UK and such matters are generally dealt with swiftly and somewhat harshly.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Sanford posted:

That would be hardcore illegal in the UK and such matters are generally dealt with swiftly and somewhat harshly.

Which part?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Giving charity should ideally be you throwing money or goods at a good cause and then patting yourself on the back, if you absolutely must, on your way out the door. Don't earmark the money for certain projects or programs, and don't demand the staff give you a sales pitch outside the printed material unless it's 5 figures or something. So many people use charity as a way to reinforce the social hierarchy that is the root problem in the first place - they want to feel superior to the people they are helping and demand gratitude for their "selflessness".

My wife runs a homeless shelter in our area and while the holiday season is a big one for collecting donations and fundraising, the entitlement the donators feel can be out of control. One wealthy family wanted to sponsor a homeless family being sheltered by providing them and their children with Christmas gifts. They asked my wife if they could be present in the room when the homeless family opened the gifts so they could see their reactions. My wife said no, that's inappropriate. Then they asked if they could stay outside but watch them open the gifts through the window of the shelter. Also a no, because poor people aren't zoo animals. And it goes without saying that all of this needed to be scheduled around the rich family's own Christmas morning plans.

Also kudos to the person who recommended Evicted a few pages ago. It's a really important book and a real eye opener to the conditions faced by people who, demographically, are very different from your typical SA poster.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My mom is the manager of a men's shelter and soup kitchen, and definitely has had things to say about the entitlement of some people who donate either materially or their time. Generally she's okay with the people who donate their time for insta points or whatever, because for the most part, they actually do help out while they're there.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Flipping isn't unethical, and I doubt it hurts bigger chain stores with tons of donations coming through. It can make a dent in the selection at small shops though, and at those kinds of places, it makes thrift shopping harder on customers who are looking for something other than basic tees or fast fashion. I'm close to a charity shop that's kind of tucked away near a nice neighborhood, and it used to be known as a reliable place to score a suit, business casual outfits, special occasion dresses, etc. It was also popular with the kind of thrift shoppers who buy used for environmental reasons (or because vintage clothes are just better quality than the see-through shirts you get these days). Maybe five years ago, that store started getting multiple flippers a day, and they don't get the same amount of donations as the bigger stores so there was a noticeable drop in the quality of their stock.

A couple of months ago they started a little boutique section of more expensive name-brand clothes and put up a sign saying that customers couldn't buy more than one cart of clothes/week. I have no idea if they were just mad at resellers for existing or if it was a business decision to make that money off the nicer stuff themselves, but now I can actually go in and find clothes there again, which is nice.

I didn't much care one way or the other about the flippers, but gently caress everybody who took part in that tiktok trend of buying plus-sized thrift store clothes and cutting them up to make ugly "upcycled" outfits for skinny people.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
If you are donating to charity please just give money. Signed, nonprofit directors everywhere.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

If you are donating to charity please just give me personally money. PM for Venmo info

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

zakharov posted:

If you are donating to charity please just give money. Signed, nonprofit directors everywhere.

:hmmyes:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm just glad people are giving with no strings attached. I work for an international nonprofit children's charity and you'd be amazed how often someone will donate $1,000+ but with a note that reads "THIS IS ONLY FOR CHRISTIAN CHILDREN IN SOUTH DAKOTA OR I WANT A REFUND"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mx. posted:

AITA for insisting to invite someone to the wedding when my fiancée is against it???

"I fully expect this woman to ruin my wedding because she hates my fiancée but it would be so awkward to tell my cousin not to bring her, what can ya do"

What's the chance she started dating the cousin after the engagement announcement to get that invite?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Variable 5 posted:

Which part?

Saying you’re a charity shop without a significant portion of the income being delivered to the charity in question. Charity shops in the UK get various kinds of rate relief, can claim Gift Aid, and get various other benefits so it’s quite well policed by the Charity Commission and the sector itself. Charity retail is a tiny, tiny portion of the charity sector as a whole and is quite close knit - anyone operating a “charity shop” under false pretences would be fairly swiftly outed. Prosecutions happen slowly but the charity press somewhat regularly has people receiving not insignificant fines for failing to operate charities correctly.

Edit: Again looking at the UK, if someone gives money towards a specific campaign or cause you have to be able to show an audit trail that it went to the right place. To avoid such bullshit, every year my wife and I contact a couple of local schools and ask them to identify some families who are going to have a poo poo Christmas, and give them some of our money. We don’t know them and they don’t know us, and the kids don’t know anything about it at all. This is a truly excellent way of doing charity and I recommend it, and school staff are always happy to help. Sadly we are yet to encounter a school who says no, we’ve no-one like that.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 3, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

my wife worked for a secondhand store that'd clean out hoarder houses and poo poo and just dump everything there on the market, and they started spiralling when she started work there because she actually knew what she was looking at, the boss would simply pocket anything she realized was worth something, and it turned out the majority of her customers weren't looking for random garbage they were there for the nice stuff the boss previously couldn't be bothered to ID lol

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 3, 2021

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Barudak posted:

Yeah, Ive never seen one of these genuinely trying to help poor customers so much as making money off of rich people thinking they're helping poor people

Yep, the second-hand "charity" stores here exist to raise revenue for their parent organizations. The store is getting their money, and she is getting hers. It's not like the op is taking things from a food bank or the donation bin at a homeless shelter and reselling them.

Outside of clothing, most of the stuff you find at second hand stores here is literal garbage making a pit stop on the way to a landfill.
  • 15 year old junk computers
  • Old junk electronics (late gen vcrs, those plastic boombox stereos that were everywhere in the 90s, etc...)
  • Random old kitchen appliances. Nothing good like heavy duty mixers, just stuff like bottom-end microwaves that reek of burnt food, plastic milkshake machines and other useless crap that sat in the back of grandma's pantry since 1983
  • A couple of tiny, lovely TVs. Early gen LCDs or some tiny CRTs that don't even have a composite input.
  • Old entertainment centers made for huge CRT TVs
  • Random particle board furniture
  • Board games in beat up boxes that are probably missing half of the pieces

Maybe you'll find a half-decent piece of furniture now and then, but in general anything good, such as boxed videogames, late-gen CRT TVs with tons of inputs that retro gamers will pay good money for, rare vinyl albums, and so on, gets put aside at intake and sold via online auction.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The_Franz posted:

Yep, the second-hand "charity" stores here exist to raise revenue for their parent organizations. The store is getting their money, and she is getting hers. It's not like the op is taking things from a food bank or the donation bin at a homeless shelter and reselling them.

Outside of clothing, most of the stuff you find at second hand stores here is literal garbage making a pit stop on the way to a landfill.
  • 15 year old junk computers
  • Old junk electronics (late gen vcrs, those plastic boombox stereos that were everywhere in the 90s, etc...)
  • Random old kitchen appliances. Nothing good like heavy duty mixers, just stuff like bottom-end microwaves that reek of burnt food, plastic milkshake machines and other useless crap that sat in the back of grandma's pantry since 1983
  • A couple of tiny, lovely TVs. Early gen LCDs or some tiny CRTs that don't even have a composite input.
  • Old entertainment centers made for huge CRT TVs
  • Random particle board furniture
  • Board games in beat up boxes that are probably missing half of the pieces

Maybe you'll find a half-decent piece of furniture now and then, but in general anything good, such as boxed videogames, late-gen CRT TVs with tons of inputs that retro gamers will pay good money for, rare vinyl albums, and so on, gets put aside at intake and sold via online auction.

I have found some really good appliances at thrift/charity stores. Bread machines and the like, usually in pretty good operating condition. Depends on location, like any store of that sort, I suppose. Also a giant beast of a Sony Trinitron, that was my PS2 TV until I moved and couldn't be assed to try and move the heavy thing again.

I've also had good luck with crafting supplies. Random assortments of knitting needles, bits and bobs of Red Heart Super Saver tier yarn that I can use when I need a tiny bit and not a whole skein, sewing patterns, etc.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

wilderthanmild posted:

There's a tenant at my apartment complex that has been complaining to my complex. Today, he made up a heniois lie about my roomate and I...

Let's check his most recent post

OP in another thread posted:

I don't shoot, I just snort, so maybe that's where I'm missing the mark. But I noticed if I smoke speed, it will waste the dope. Like I don't feel the dope, just the meth. So I always gotta make sure I wait a while after smoking before doing dope.

Now, if I do a bump of blow, I can do dope too and not lose any effects. In fact, it synergizes really nicely.

Also, slightly off topic. But the fact that meth and dope isn't called a speed ball, but instead a "goof ball" really bothers me. Meth is speed, not coke. So to call coke+heroin a speed ball doesn't make any sense. Like, it would make more sense to call meth+H a speedball, and cole+H a snowball.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as a goofball, is in fact, meth/heroin, or as I've recently taken to calling it, meth plus heroin. Heroin is not an experience unto itself, but rather another component of a fully functioning drug cocktail made useful by the meth, cooking spoons and vital syringe components comprising a full injection as defined by drug users.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm just glad people are giving with no strings attached. I work for an international nonprofit children's charity and you'd be amazed how often someone will donate $1,000+ but with a note that reads "THIS IS ONLY FOR CHRISTIAN CHILDREN IN SOUTH DAKOTA OR I WANT A REFUND"

A friend of mine had a brief stint as a street fundraiser for Oxfam. At one point he was making good inroads with an elderly lady, who did see the value of fair trade, cutting out big corporations, etc. until she asked "wait, do you guys also support businesses in [very specific place in Vietnam]", so my friend hesitates and says "I should check but that's likely, we do support businesses in Vietnam". This lady's tone sours and says "well my son was married to a Vietnamese woman from [place] and she left him, so I'll not be signing up to become a donor, bye."

Some people's POV is so narrow that you wonder how they are even alive.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

My boyfriend (29) said that his dog is his soulmate.

quote:

My boyfriend(29) and I (f 25) have been together for 3.5 years. He loves his dog very much, which is fine, but some of his comments towards his dog are off putting. He has made it known he loves his dog more than me on multiple occasions. His comment about his dog being his soulmate kind of struck a nerve with me. He has never once even called me his soulmate. I said to him that it’s kinda funny to me how he called his dog his soulmate considering it’s an animal, and he’s literally never even reffed to me as such. His response was, “well yea my dog loves me unconditionally and you don’t.” I was very upset by this comment and tried to talk to him about my feelings about it. He said I’m not arguing about this nonsense and left the room. We ended up sleeping in separate rooms and I am still upset about this. I often right poetry about him and say things such as how our souls collided and I’ve never felt such internal bliss until I met him. So to me this was rather offensive and I feel differently than he does on the subject. I’m not sure how to express my self and my feelings without feeling torn down.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DemoneeHo posted:

My boyfriend (29) said that his dog is his soulmate.

Well his dog doesn't get mad at him about dumb poo poo like souls, so

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

NecroBob posted:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as a goofball, is in fact, meth/heroin, or as I've recently taken to calling it, meth plus heroin. Heroin is not an experience unto itself, but rather another component of a fully functioning drug cocktail made useful by the meth, cooking spoons and vital syringe components comprising a full injection as defined by drug users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yokDFLIwKa0&t=39s

caterpillaropera
Aug 31, 2004

Who's gonna teach you to bump and grind?
Buglord

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Oh hey I remember this guy.

AITA for calling my baby's mother petty for not letting me be in the delivery room?

There was an amazing post between these two posts that was deleted by the mods.

AITA for refusing to cover part of my ex-fiance's hospital bills

quote:

My ex and I broke up early in her pregnancy, we've remained somewhat amicable, we had a couple fights about me not being in the delivery room but have been ok since. She had our baby about 4 weeks ago, and I told her to keep me updated on any hospital bills she might get because I would pay half.

I was visiting the baby and my ex brought out the bills, typical stuff, the baby's pediatrician and her delivery, after insurance it was going to cost us about $1000 each. Then she pulled out a bill for an anesthesiologist and when I asked what that was about, since she didn't have a c-section she said it was for her epidural during labor. I kind of chuckled and told her she was on her own for that bill (which was $900 on its own, almost the cost of everything else). She asked me if I was being serious and I confirmed I wouldn't pay that portion, that is was her choice to get an epidural, it wasn't essential to her safely delivering the baby and plenty of women have given birth without one. She told me I was being ridiculous and that "if you could feel how being in labor felt you wouldn't be questioning getting pain relief at all". She stayed pretty silent and cold with me until I left.

I talked to my Mom after the fact and she thinks I'm in the right, she had me and my siblings without anything. I think I might be the rear end in a top hat though because when I talked to my sister about it she said pain relief can make or break your experience. So, AITA for refusing to pay this additional expense?

What an absolute prince of a man.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
What a piece of work, I hope his child has a better parental figure than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for not interviewing someone because they had road rage at me? And asking office security to escort them out?

quote:

I work at a tech company, and I was supposed to interview a candidate. I'm a software developer and I was supposed to be doing a technical screening interview, an initial interview to evaluate someone's technical skills before a potential second interview with a hiring manager.

Anyway on the drive over, I was driving my small car and someone tailgated me in a truck. Honking and yelling at me calling me a 'bitch' and 'idiot' and 'slut' which.. okay bro.

Anyway I keep driving to work hoping I lose him, but at every turn the truck keeps following me. I start to get frightened thinking I'm being followed by someone who's got some anger issues. He is still behind me when I pull into my work parking lot. I parked right up front and grabbed my pepper spray and ran into the office fast.

He doesn't follow me in as far as I can see, so I go to my desk to grab my laptop before I start the interview meeting.

I go to the interview room and the guy with the truck was in the hallway near there. To be honest my first thought wasn't realizing that the man I was supposed to be interviewing was also the man who was road raging... My first thought was "holy poo poo, the crazy fucker who was following me broke into the office?

I dip away before he saw me and called the building security to say that someone followed me to work and was getting agressive with me, and now he'd broken in somehow and was in my wing of the building.

The guard came by ASAP and found the guy, and asked him some questions and realized he was supposed to be there for an interview. Then the guard called me to ask what I was talking about. I told him that whether or not that guy had an interview scheduled, he was still agressively following me and yelling slurs at me this morning and I wasn't comfortable interviewing him, could they escort him out of the building?

I messaged my boss to say that the interview didn't go well, or at all for that matter... since the guy made the great first impression of calling me a whore, slut, and idiot

My boss was like "what, he really said all that?" And I said yeah, and that I had it on video if he wanted to see. He said he didn't need to see, he believed me, he was just shocked because the guy made a good impression.

I told some of my family about my day afterwards and they said it was really unprofessional of me to not interview this guy.

I said I thought it was real unprofessional to yell slurs at your interviewer. My parents said that that wasn't in the office, he didn't know who I was.

I said that I was still glad I found out when I did; I'd much rather know about that kinda issue before the interview versus after he's hired and I have to deal with that everyday? My parents thought I was being ridiculous, people might get frustrated driving but not at work.

AITA for not interviewing this guy?