Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

okay one more: the Wardcliff Coil. All the keycaps are spring loaded and when you press the space bar they all fling themselves directly into your face.

Still waiting on the timeline for this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Never click 'Submit Reply' before going to check the mail, I guess.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Exit Strategy posted:

My dude, I can absolutely work with you to make a case in SpaceClaim this coming week if you want.

e: I'll design it up, but *my god* you are probably responsible for actually loving having it made. I have access to a CNC router and some 20mm thick Acrylic if you think that you'd like to pay for the added weight and my time there.

So. Updates. The new batch of toggle switches are on their way from Montana, and I've started the cut on the plates. What's going out to Goons in this run will be the Sweet Business Mk2, with black PCB and - gasp - functional underlight *and* audio. It'll be amazing.

:swoon:

How much power does this monster draw?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Eric the Mauve posted:

:swoon:

How much power does this monster draw?

Less than you'd think. Look at the image - It's got 32 WS2812C-2020s, which are peak 5mA draw. And since I'm *not* a loving idiot, I've duty-cycled them down in the firmware to where they still reach a frankly uncomfortable brightness but only consume 3mA max. So you're looking at peak 96mA draw for the lights, presuming you turn them white and leave them on all at the same time on max brightness. Or less than a fifth of the board's total power budget.

I've been running the same configuration in now three generations of Hard Light and two of Sweet Business. It works really well.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Exit Strategy posted:

Never click 'Submit Reply' before going to check the mail, I guess.

Holy poo poo my friend is going to poo poo when he gets this, honestly I might end up getting the next run after. Would you be up to the task of soldering in mill max 3305 sockets? Clicked that that could be a potential solution to getting hotswap for my switch indecisive friend!

e: Mostly because I'm pretty sure 3305's are waaaay cheaper in the US than the UK.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

LochNessMonster posted:

60% and use caps as mod to use vim keys (or ijkl) to never leave homerow again :discourse:

I love using miryoku on my ortholinear Idobo 75%. It's what I imagined would be possible with QMK before I got my custom keyboard but fully realized and refined. Oh, and, of course, fully customizable with some bravery in C. Home row mods are next level cool. I cringe thinking about my poor pinkies having to stretch and hold Ctrl or Shift in the past.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

How hard is it to put foam in something that was not designed to be user modded? I'd really like to kill the ping in this Kinesis Frestyle Edge RGB, but it has no visible screws that I can see, and I don't see any real teardown videos online. There are also zero premade foam kits for it

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

How hard is it to put foam in something that was not designed to be user modded? I'd really like to kill the ping in this Kinesis Frestyle Edge RGB, but it has no visible screws that I can see, and I don't see any real teardown videos online. There are also zero premade foam kits for it

In these instances screws are hidden under labels or possibly in between the switches on the top of the board, obscured by the keycaps.

Filling the space between the PCB and case is probably just a matter of buying appropriate thickness poron or something off eBay/Amazon and cutting it to size.

Foam between the PCB and top plate might be more effort than its worth, but KBDFans sell little modular precut squares of foam.

e: I remember the Corsair K70 having a hidden screw under the top badge for example.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What is everybody's preference for foam vs silicone? You can get a cheap silicone mold kit from Amazon for about $15 that can be mixed and poured into many keyboard cases.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Pvt. Parts posted:

I love using miryoku on my ortholinear Idobo 75%. It's what I imagined would be possible with QMK before I got my custom keyboard but fully realized and refined. Oh, and, of course, fully customizable with some bravery in C. Home row mods are next level cool. I cringe thinking about my poor pinkies having to stretch and hold Ctrl or Shift in the past.

Ortho fam :cheers:

Everytime I switch back to a normal layout (somebody elses computer/laptop) my pinkies start crying.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

This has been "I was bored at work and designed Opioid a case."

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Exit Strategy posted:

This has been "I was bored at work and designed Opioid a case."

Case is currently being 3D printed in my garage for prototyping then once I do a test fit it’ll be off to aluminum fabricators! Crazy how this came around. Props to Exit for being a jack of all trades

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am enjoying the build saga of this keyboard despite not being interested in it. :stoked:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I wanna meet the dude or dudette with a 3d printer big enough to make a case for Sweet Business.
https://www.creality.com/goods-detail/creality-3dprintmill-3d-printer

I'm totally loving the Sweet Business stuff and hope to see more content along those lines.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ijyt posted:

Holy poo poo my friend is going to poo poo when he gets this, honestly I might end up getting the next run after. Would you be up to the task of soldering in mill max 3305 sockets? Clicked that that could be a potential solution to getting hotswap for my switch indecisive friend!

e: Mostly because I'm pretty sure 3305's are waaaay cheaper in the US than the UK.

Also curious about mill max sockets/a hot swappable version.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

mariooncrack posted:

Also curious about mill max sockets/a hot swappable version.

Hotswap is categorically worse in every way than soldered switches, sorry. It restricts the types of switches you can use, sometimes requires modification of the switches, and if done incorrectly - For the record, only two boards I have ever seen have done it correctly - can result in an easy way to rip traces clean off your PCB.

The long and the short of it is, if you're uncertain about what switches you want, get a tester. They're not expensive when compared to buying hundreds of copies of six different switches because you're indecisive.

I don't know if it's obvious, but my boards can use no less than three kinds of switches - MX-compatible, Alps/Matias, and Kailh Choc.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
that reminds me, does anyone know of an alps compatible tkl plate? I have an old kit lying around with everything but the plate and a non-working AEK full of salmon alps that need a home :(

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Exit Strategy posted:

The long and the short of it is, if you're uncertain about what switches you want, get a tester. They're not expensive when compared to buying hundreds of copies of six different switches because you're indecisive.
I have a tester and a hot swap board and I can't agree with this, being able to actually use the switches from a sample pack in real world typing is different from clicking buttons on a plastic frame. I would always recommend for those who want to go deeper than linear/tactile/clicky to have at least one hot swap board in their collection.

That said you're not wrong about the compromises that come with it nor the weaknesses of common designs so I'm definitely not arguing your choice to trade one kind of flexibility for another.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

wolrah posted:

I have a tester and a hot swap board and I can't agree with this, being able to actually use the switches from a sample pack in real world typing is different from clicking buttons on a plastic frame. I would always recommend for those who want to go deeper than linear/tactile/clicky to have at least one hot swap board in their collection.

That said you're not wrong about the compromises that come with it nor the weaknesses of common designs so I'm definitely not arguing your choice to trade one kind of flexibility for another.

I guess I'm coming at it from the perspective of a person who found his ultimate switch and it's BOX Royal with 250g springs.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Framboise posted:

This is why 65% is probably as low I as I will ever go. I can sacrifice my F row and numpad, but you will never take my arrow keys from me.

Join us.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

we have to go smaller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmNscaqP01A

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I wanna meet the dude or dudette with a 3d printer big enough to make a case for Sweet Business.

Even cut in half it takes up almost my entire 300x300 bed. Lots of supports for angled areas. 21h per half

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Exit Strategy posted:

Hotswap is categorically worse in every way than soldered switches, sorry. It restricts the types of switches you can use, sometimes requires modification of the switches, and if done incorrectly - For the record, only two boards I have ever seen have done it correctly - can result in an easy way to rip traces clean off your PCB.

I don't know if it's obvious, but my boards can use no less than three kinds of switches - MX-compatible, Alps/Matias, and Kailh Choc.

Love your board but hotswaps are great and have been nothing but reliable for me! Haven't been restricted in cherry clone switch.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gay Retard posted:

What is everybody's preference for foam vs silicone? You can get a cheap silicone mold kit from Amazon for about $15 that can be mixed and poured into many keyboard cases.
I prefer foam to silicone. I had a couple boards that were stuffed with silicone and it felt like typing on an oven mitt.

Unsinkabear posted:

It's a considerable effort, but sometimes it's absolutely worth it.
Maybe Sneaky Wombat will venture back in here and attest to how the K320 I modded sounds with foam between the plate and PCB.

For my Keychron K8 I put butyl mat in the case and it sounds amazing.

...speaking of which I'm actually doing some housecleaning.

Anyone need a Bluetooth Hotswap RGB aluminum TKL?

I think you skipped a step.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ijyt posted:

Love your board but hotswaps are great and have been nothing but reliable for me! Haven't been restricted in cherry clone switch.

This. My first mech was hotswap and I'll never buy one that isn't. It just makes customizing (or repairing) so much easier.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

What's your map on that? Split spaces are so strange to me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Framboise posted:

What's your map on that? Split spaces are so strange to me.

I'd post a pic but I'm mobile right now...

Spacebars are tap for space and hold for layers.
Delete is actually backspace on layer 0. Layer 1 it's delete.
qwe asd zxc is inverted numpad
numrow goes across the top row and so does function row
uio... is regular numpad.
It's full punctuation so that's all the same.
WASD is arrows
Q is home E is end
there's a bunch of other stuff in there too but you get the gist.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Just got an email the Adafruit Macropad kit is back in stock. Anyone in the thread have any experience with one?

Looks awesome aside from the hideous keycaps they insist on using in the promotional materials.

Very tempted to snag one to control a boxed alt when multiboxing EverQuest characters.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Opioid posted:

Even cut in half it takes up almost my entire 300x300 bed. Lots of supports for angled areas. 21h per half

CR-10? Did you make those nubs when you cut the model in half?

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

mewse posted:

CR-10? Did you make those nubs when you cut the model in half?

Yeah cr-10 v3. Nubs? I just got Exit Strategy to slice it in half for me in his modeller then I processed through Cura like normal. Gonna be a rough model just to superglue together

mewse
May 2, 2006

I thought those might've been for holding the halves together, are they just a brim?

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

mewse posted:

I thought those might've been for holding the halves together, are they just a brim?
Just a brim. Every time I try to do anything brimless I regret it

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I prefer foam to silicone. I had a couple boards that were stuffed with silicone and it felt like typing on an oven mitt.

It's a considerable effort, but sometimes it's absolutely worth it.
Maybe Sneaky Wombat will venture back in here and attest to how the K320 I modded sounds with foam between the plate and PCB.

For my Keychron K8 I put butyl mat in the case and it sounds amazing.

...speaking of which I'm actually doing some housecleaning.

Anyone need a Bluetooth Hotswap RGB aluminum TKL?

Thanks for the response! That K8 looks pretty lovely (although I might just be in love with wooden wrist rests, I can't tell). What switches do you have in there and what would you like for it?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Unsinkabear posted:

Thanks for the response! That K8 looks pretty lovely (although I might just be in love with wooden wrist rests, I can't tell). What switches do you have in there and what would you like for it?

Those are lubed and filmed (stock springs lubed with GPL105) Banana Split switches from TKC. Everywhere else they're called Machos switches.

The stock keycaps are pretty crappy, and not just because they're thin. They feel sort of brittle and don't sound great. I'd been using a set of Drop's Skylight Series White shine through caps to take advantage of the RGB, but with those Banana Split switches in there the effect is greatly diminished. I'd recommend getting some Milky Gateron KS-3 if you care about the backlighting.

This is what it looked like with HAKO Clear switches and the Drop Skylight keycaps:

I'll tell you what, you can have the board (current switches and keycaps included), the wrist rest, and the Drop Skylight Series keycaps for $140 + shipping.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

ijyt posted:

I mean,
I'll be glad to work out soldering in mill-maxes for you. I'm just not gonna guarantee they'll be as solid as soldered switches.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Those are lubed and filmed (stock springs lubed with GPL105) Banana Split switches from TKC. Everywhere else they're called Machos switches.

The stock keycaps are pretty crappy, and not just because they're thin. They feel sort of brittle and don't sound great. I'd been using a set of Drop's Skylight Series White shine through caps to take advantage of the RGB, but with those Banana Split switches in there the effect is greatly diminished. I'd recommend getting some Milky Gateron KS-3 if you care about the backlighting.

This is what it looked like with HAKO Clear switches and the Drop Skylight keycaps:

I'll tell you what, you can have the board (current switches and keycaps included), the wrist rest, and the Drop Skylight Series keycaps for $140 + shipping.

Oh dang, that's a hell of a deal. :swoon: I'll see if I can sell my partner on it, but (and I should have thought about this before getting excited and asking, I apologize) that may be tough given that I have a second Freestyle Edge coming Sunday so I can compare how it feels w/ linears vs tactiles.

You people did this to me. :cripes:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Got my WRK caps today.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Unsinkabear posted:

Oh dang, that's a hell of a deal. :swoon: I'll see if I can sell my partner on it, but (and I should have thought about this before getting excited and asking, I apologize) that may be tough given that I have a second Freestyle Edge coming Sunday so I can compare how it feels w/ linears vs tactiles.

You people did this to me. :cripes:

Just tell 'em you can always flip it for profit :haw:

Exit Strategy posted:

Got my WRK caps today.

I love this.

...I may be biased though...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 4, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Y'all are nuts, the more keys the better. I can't wait for that Sweet Business so my desk can look like the control panel of the fuckin' starship Enterprise.

Still accepting recommendations for keycap sets for that beast, especially low profile, bearing in mind its backlighting isn't per-key, preferably like $50 or less because I'm a lightweight and have already spent far more on this than on any keyboard yetI'll probably have to buy two sets. I could just pull the stock caps off one (or several!) of the boards I'm not currently using but where's the fun in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Eric the Mauve posted:

Y'all are nuts, the more keys the better. I can't wait for that Sweet Business so my desk can look like the control panel of the fuckin' starship Enterprise.

Still accepting recommendations for keycap sets for that beast, especially low profile, bearing in mind its backlighting isn't per-key, preferably like $50 or less because I'm a lightweight and have already spent far more on this than on any keyboard yetI'll probably have to buy two sets. I could just pull the stock caps off one (or several!) of the boards I'm not currently using but where's the fun in that?

SA Nuclear Data with extras
Drop MT3 WOB
8008: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FXV14RW
DSA Ferrous
SA Industrial