Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bugsy posted:

They didnt care until their kid started shooting up the school.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1466822867748900873

The mom is a giant chud, but havent seen that much on the dad.

This is where I live, and stories are coming out about both of them being enormous pieces of poo poo from people that know them. One lady said the kid was regularly left alone when he was younger so the parents could go out drinking.

It's been deleted, but someone found a 2016 blog post from the mom praising Trump including "I'm ready to be grabbed by the pussy".

Infuriatingly, there's a "Prayers for Oxford" sign in their front yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Even if we accept the idea that giving your kid a gun at 13 is a good idea because they need their own weapon for hunting and it will teach them to respect guns, etc., I still can't understand any reason why a parent would feel the need to buy their kid multiple semi-automatic handguns at ages 13 and 15 and send them to school with ammo.

Unless, you literally want your kid to shoot up a school (which it does not seem like they actually did).

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

VitalSigns posted:

Remember when we were assured that

This is the most useless masturbatory poo poo and people do it in this thread all the time.

It exists to create a hagiography of "thread opinion" that you bravely stood against.

Of course there was one or two people with lovely opinions, there's going to be that on any issue. Constantly flogging this because you remember that time a person disagreed with you adds nothing to this thread at all.

You, Willa, and Leon make up like 50% of the posts in these threads and none of you held that position. The closest was Leon who still didnt.

Just say "told ya so" because that's all the post is, and almost every poster in this thread can do the same told ya so.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at the mom and the worse of human nature constantly being "lol what youre going to do stab/shoot me you bit-"

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Even if we accept the idea that giving your kid a gun at 13 is a good idea because they need their own weapon for hunting and it will teach them to respect guns, etc., I still can't understand any reason why a parent would feel the need to buy their kid multiple semi-automatic handguns at ages 13 and 15 and send them to school with ammo.

Unless, you literally want your kid to shoot up a school (which it does not seem like they actually did).

I understand it. Gun Fuckers are selfish, horrible people who do their stupid hobby based on lies. They lie to themselves about what guns are useful for and why guns are good and why their behavior around guns is acceptable because if they sat down and interrogated themselves they'd realize that the real reasons they buy their Murder Security Blankets are pure evil. They want to do violence and they want others to know they're ready and willing to do violence and they want to practice doing violence for the thrill they get from using the machine and displaying their skill with it and they want to group up with other people that share their values vis a vis violence and then loudly, angrily project those feelings onto others to silence criticism of their behavior and then use their political power to protect their right to do all those things without any limitations regardless of the other political consequences that come with it.

This is true of gun people on the right and the left. One visit to TFF's Gun Control and Violence thread, or the inevitable responses to this post about Trans People needing guns for Self Defense or Marx Quotes, should make it obvious to anyone with pattern recognition.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

I understand it. Gun Fuckers are selfish, horrible people who do their stupid hobby based on lies. They lie to themselves about what guns are useful for and why guns are good and why their behavior around guns is acceptable because if they sat down and interrogated themselves they'd realize that the real reasons they buy their Murder Security Blankets are pure evil. They want to do violence and they want others to know they're ready and willing to do violence and they want to practice doing violence for the thrill they get from using the machine and displaying their skill with it and they want to group up with other people that share their values vis a vis violence and then loudly, angrily project those feelings onto others to silence criticism of their behavior.

This is true of gun people on the right and the left. One visit to TFF's Gun Control and Violence thread of the inevitable responses to this post about Trans People needing guns for Self Defense or Marx Quotes should make it obvious to anyone with pattern recognition.

Hey you live in Florida too, right?

What's your plan when DeSantis' personal goon squad starts clearing neighborhoods? You gonna Vote! them away?

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
You're subtweeting essentially a trans anti fascist who has been injured in combat with the fascist enemy while arguing for unilateral disarmament, what the gently caress is wrong with you, guns on the Left are all that stand between us and Rwanda style door to door genocide

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Medullah posted:

This is where I live, and stories are coming out about both of them being enormous pieces of poo poo from people that know them. One lady said the kid was regularly left alone when he was younger so the parents could go out drinking.

It's been deleted, but someone found a 2016 blog post from the mom praising Trump including "I'm ready to be grabbed by the pussy".

Infuriatingly, there's a "Prayers for Oxford" sign in their front yard.

There is an archived version of her blog and dozens of posts. A lot of it is the expected terrible stuff, but here's some of the wilder/interesting parts of her 9,352 word fictional letter to Trump about why she voted for him:

quote:

You see, I am an American Woman. I value the equality of the LGBT community, in fact, I hold that in really high regards. I am a feminist. I value womens rights and want to be alive when I see the first woman become President. But as an American Woman, with a 10 year old child I could not have that first woman be Hillary.

I am a believer in pro-choice, that a woman should have control over her body.

The first debate, Mr. Trump you came out like a bucking Bronco, you fell flat. You pretty much sucked at debating. If it’s one thing those Clinton’s have, is the ability to speak in public. But I am also a woman, I have a very strong intuition and I personally have always learned to go with my gut feeling (thanks mom). Hillary started speaking, I listened, I looked at her eyes, her permanent, unchanging smile, her ability to show no emotion and it was then, my heart sank, my mind became clear and I knew, absolutely knew that her intentions were not true. Her promises are false. Her voice has an evil cold. Everything she has done, whether it was proven true or not to the public, I knew in the deepest of my gut that I could not let this woman have control over my son’s future.

quote:

Mr. Trump, I actually love that you are a bad public speaker because that showed sincerity, and humility. You changed your mind, and you said “so what”. You made the famous “grab them in the pussy” comment, did it offend me? No. I say things all the time that people take the wrong way, do I mean them, not always. Do I agree that you should of shown your tax returns? No. I don’t care what you do or maybe don’t pay in taxes, I think those are personal.

I like that you have failed. I love it even more that those failures taught lessons and made you one of the most successful Business Men in my history.

quote:

I have high hopes you will shut down Big Pharma, make health care affordable for me and my MIDDLE CLASS family again. I hope you uncover the cure for cancer, because there is one, we all know it, but you are the one to prove it. I’m not scared of your big personality and quick temper. There is a whole house of representatives that still have to approve if you decide to get pissed at China and blow them up.

quote:

You see Mr. Trump, I need you to stop common core. My son struggles daily, and my teachers tell me they hate teaching it but the HAVE to. Their pay depends on these stupid loving test scores. I have to pay for a Tutor, why? Because I can’t figure out 4th grade math. I used to be good at math. I can’t afford a Tutor, in fact I sacrifice car insurance to make sure my son gets a good education and hopefully succeeds in life. My parents teach at a school where their kids come from illegal immigrant parents. Most of their parents are locked up. They don’t care about learning and threaten to kill my mom for caring about their grades. Do you realize Mr. Trump that they get free tutors, free tablets from our Government so they can succeed.

quote:

Mr. Trump, this is why I voted for you. I see the change that we so desperately need. I see jobs coming back, people having to work for their handouts, money going to who really deserve it. Big Pharma taken down, Monsanto stop poisoning us. Jobs given back to our American workers. I believe YOU are the President who will make these things happen. I have NEVER had this much belief in one person, and you are it.

If this blog even makes it to your eyes…thank you. From the bottom of my heart.

Yours Truly,

A hard working Middle Class Law Abiding Citizen who is sick of getting hosed in the rear end and would rather be grabbed by the pussy.

She literally thought Trump was going to reveal the centuries old cure for cancer that has been hidden from the world, that Trump was going to nuke China, and she was deeply upset that 4th grade math made her feel dumb.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 3, 2021

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sanguinia posted:

I understand it. Gun Fuckers are selfish, horrible people who do their stupid hobby based on lies. They lie to themselves about what guns are useful for and why guns are good and why their behavior around guns is acceptable because if they sat down and interrogated themselves they'd realize that the real reasons they buy their Murder Security Blankets are pure evil. They want to do violence and they want others to know they're ready and willing to do violence and they want to practice doing violence for the thrill they get from using the machine and displaying their skill with it and they want to group up with other people that share their values vis a vis violence and then loudly, angrily project those feelings onto others to silence criticism of their behavior and then use their political power to protect their right to do all those things without any limitations regardless of the other political consequences that come with it.

This is true of gun people on the right and the left. One visit to TFF's Gun Control and Violence thread, or the inevitable responses to this post about Trans People needing guns for Self Defense or Marx Quotes, should make it obvious to anyone with pattern recognition.
I keep my shotgun in a gun safe off premises because I like hunting and eating deer

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Lib and let die posted:

What's your plan when DeSantis' personal goon squad starts clearing neighborhoods? You gonna Vote! them away?

You're sure as hell not going to shoot them away despite what you tell yourself to justify whatever toy you recently bought. You mock the idea of "voting them away," when your plan is just as much a total fantasy.

Wang Commander posted:

You're subtweeting essentially a trans anti fascist who has been injured in combat with the fascist enemy while arguing for unilateral disarmament, what the gently caress is wrong with you, guns on the Left are all that stand between us and Rwanda style door to door genocide

Hey look, it only took two posts for my exact prediction to come true. Technically one since the Marx Quote was implicit in the first one, but I'll be generous.

World Famous W posted:

I keep my shotgun in a gun safe off premises because I like hunting and eating deer

Congratulations on being the exception that proves the rule. Not being snippy, this is the only acceptable way and reason to own and use guns.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Sanguinia posted:

You're sure as hell not going to shoot them away despite what you tell yourself to justify whatever toy you recently bought. You mock the idea of "voting them away," when your plan is just as much a total fantasy.

US forces have been defeated by armed insurgencies over and over and it's taken for granted that threat of right wing gun guy insurgency is why we can't have nice things in the US. Why is an armed community absurd and impotent only when it's on your side? Why do you fetishize the power of your enemies while dismissing your own?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

World Famous W posted:

If we lived in a normal world and wanted a real actual compromise on guns in America, then we would implement universal background checks, ban handguns, and remove restrictions on shotguns, semi-automatic long-barrel hunting rifles, and silencers.

It wouldn't be ideal, but it would be a real compromise that would cut gun deaths by 2/3 and people would be able to go hunting or sport shooting much more cheaply than they do now.

But, the myth of the "good guy with a gun," the maximalist approach to gun rights, paranoid world view, and power fantasy aspects of American gun culture would never let it happen.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

Hey look, it only took two posts for my exact prediction to come true. Technically one since the Marx Quote was implicit in the first one, but I'll be generous.

Congratulations on being the exception that proves the rule. Not being snippy, this is the only acceptable way and reason to own and use guns.

Nope, my right arm can't handle the kickback of a gun, you're right. I'm am going to be a hapless victim of Ronny's death squads.

Given the layout of our unit, too, we'd be better off with medium-length blades in an invader situation. Very few meaningful sightline, but plenty of places to hide around corners and show what 15 years of Arnis is worth :)

eta: and this isn't to say that somehow my wife and I would survive. Her, the dog, and I would definitely wound up shot dead. Cats would probably book it out the door once it got blown/kicked open, though.

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 3, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Guns are marketed to those people as totems that make them better than other people. People with guns are the powerful rugged lions, everyone else are dumb skittish sheep.

Hunting has nothing to do with it, she's some bougie realtor. They give their child a gun because he's going to grow up to be a lion not a sheep, of course the sheep get frightened when they see him searching ammunition on his phone in class, they want to turn him into a sheep like them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sanguinia posted:

Speaking of which any particular updates on our own crackshot? The toeslayer?

quote:

Given the layout of our unit, too, we'd be better off with medium-length blades in an invader situation. Very few meaningful sightline, but plenty of places to hide around corners and show what 15 years of Arnis is worth

Remember, twenty one feet.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 3, 2021

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sanguinia posted:

I guess I should also add that I do disagree with you though. My brother, a gay man born and raised in alabama, owns a pistol for his protection. He bought it after having a beer bottle hurled at him from a vehicle while the driver screamed the f slur at him. For walking down the road holding his boyfriends hand.

He also had a can of pink paint hurled onto his car parked in the driveway.

I feel no need to argue with him that heat be under threat from others and wants to sleep next to his pistol

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Sanguinia posted:

Trans People needing guns for Self Defense or Marx Quotes, should make it obvious to anyone with pattern recognition.

Please tell me more about how trans people with guns don't actually care about defending themselves or need to. With sources as applicable.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is nice to see them charge the parents it's insane how rarely if ever that happens. So many cases of a kid getting to a gun and killing themselves or others and it's chalked up to an "accident" and the parents get off scot free.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

VitalSigns posted:

Guns are marketed to those people as totems that make them better than other people. People with guns are the powerful rugged lions, everyone else are dumb skittish sheep.

Hunting has nothing to do with it, she's some bougie realtor. They give their child a gun because he's going to grow up to be a lion not a sheep, of course the sheep get frightened when they see him searching ammunition on his phone in class, they want to turn him into a sheep like them.

If you don't have a gun you're totally under the power of anyone who wanders by with a gun. This didn't come up too often in cushy middle class white America for the last few decades but times are changing fast and an infantry rifle and hard armor just seems prudent, like preparing for hurricane season.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Lib and let die posted:

Wang Commander posted:

Can we be honest and walk though this hypothetical?

Let's start from the premise being presented: Either at a state or national level an organized, officially endorsed, materially funded and legally backed military force both exists and is mobilized to track down a group or subgroup of the population that the person you're posting at is included in.

This military force is being officially tasked with either rounding up members of said group/subgroup or outright executing them on sight. At a minimum we can assume they will have the kind of gear we see law enforcement wearing day to day (ARs, pistols, some extra ammo, maybe a low caliber rated vest) and if they are actively going door to door for this execution effort, most likely more akin to active combat gear. They will not be alone, but at least in squad level numbers as they approach your door. Most likely there will be reinforcements and armored transports or heavy munition vehicles nearby incase they encounter resistance.

Assuming this is the situation you find yourself in, you are in open warfare.

What action movie fantasy are expecting to pull off if they come to your door looking to kill you?

Wang Commander posted:

US forces have been defeated by armed insurgencies over and over and it's taken for granted that threat of right wing gun guy insurgency is why we can't have nice things in the US. Why is an armed community absurd and impotent only when it's on your side? Why do you fetishize the power of your enemies while dismissing your own?

To head this off maybe: Insurgent forces are still organized oppositional force. You're still discussing open warfare and no a situation where a single person is keeping their place in society alive in the face of a military force dedicated on eliminating them.

Crain fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 3, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of which any particular updates on our own crackshot? The toeslayer?

Remember, twenty one feet.

His trial started last week and they mentioned Something Awful in the brief.

He's charged with first-degree assault and reckless endangerment.

He was going to get bail set in early October, but he destroyed a sprinkler at the jail and refused to leave his cell for his bail hearing, so the judge denied bail and ordered him to get a psych evaluation and medication.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Crain posted:

Can we be honest and walk though this hypothetical?

Let's start from the premise being presented: Either at a state or national level an organized, officially endorsed, materially funded and legally backed military force both exists and is mobilized to track down a group or subgroup of the population that the person you're posting at is included in.

Hypotherical?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/politics/florida-state-guard-desantis/index.html

quote:

St, Petersburg, Florida (CNN)Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis wants to reestablish a World War II-era civilian military force that he, not the Pentagon, would control.

DeSantis pitched the idea Thursday as a way to further support the Florida National Guard during emergencies, like hurricanes. The Florida National Guard has also played a vital role during the pandemic in administering Covid-19 tests and distributing vaccines.

But in a nod to the growing tension between Republican states and the Biden administration over the National Guard, DeSantis also said this unit, called the Florida State Guard, would be "not encumbered by the federal government." He said this force would give him "the flexibility and the ability needed to respond to events in our state in the most effective way possible." DeSantis is proposing bringing it back with a volunteer force of 200 civilians, and he is seeking $3.5 million from the state legislature in startup costs to train and equip them.

States have the power to create defense forces separate from the national guard, though not all of them use it. If Florida moves ahead with DeSantis' plan to reestablish the civilian force, it would become the 23rd active state guard in the country, DeSantis' office said in a press release, joining California, Texas and New York. These guards are little-known auxiliary forces with origins dating back to the advent of state militias in the 18th century. While states and the Department of Defense share control of the National Guard, state guards are solely in the power of a governor.

The proposal from DeSantis comes on the heels of Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin's directive warning that National Guard members who refuse to get vaccinated against the coronavirus will have their pay withheld and barred from training. Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt, a Republican, had requested an exemption for guard members in his state, which Austin denied.

Democrats in Florida immediately expressed alarm at DeSantis' announcement. US Rep. Charlie Crist, who is running as a Democrat to challenge the governor in 2022, tweeted, "No Governor should have his own handpicked secret police."
State Sen. Annette Taddeo, another gubernatorial candidate, wrote on Twitter that DeSantis was a "wannabe dictator trying to make his move for his own vigilante militia like we've seen in Cuba."

The Florida State Guard was created in 1941 during World War II as a temporary force to fill the void left behind when the Florida National Guard was deployed to assist in the US combat efforts. It was disbanded after the war ended, but the authority for a governor to establish a state defense force remained.

"Reestablishing the Florida State Guard will allow civilians from all over the state to be trained in the best emergency response techniques and have the ability to mobilize very, very quickly," DeSantis said during a visit to Pensacola on Thursday.
State guards are typically deployed to respond during a disaster, though governors have found other reasons to call them into action.

In 2015, Republican Gov. Greg Abbott used the Texas state guard to monitor federal military exercises in his state, responding to what was at the time a fast-growing conspiracy theory that the federal government was using Walmart parking lots to prepare for a future state of martial law. Abbott said the guards were just collecting information to keep Texans safe during the multi-week exercises.

Florida law authorizes the governor to maintain a defense force as "necessary to assist the civil authorities in maintaining law and order," meaning DeSantis would have another force to respond to unrest that may erupt in the future. DeSantis swiftly deployed the Florida National Guard to major cities after protests and violence broke out in response to the murder of George Floyd in Minnesota.

DeSantis has also stationed Florida National Guard troops at the Texas-Mexico border and sent them to Washington, DC, to help protect the US Capitol during the inauguration of President Joe Biden.

The announcement on Thursday came during a broader rollout of DeSantis' plan to bolster Florida's National Guard, which included $100 million in funding proposals to establish three new armories, build a new headquarters for the National Guard Counter Drug Program and provide support for Florida National Guardsmen seeking higher-education degrees.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
If I owned a gun, I'd probably have been dead years ago during one of my bouts with severe depression, so I very specifically do not want one in my house.

I've got a bunch of dogs that are likely to keep anyone from breaking into my house, and if the government ever did decide I needed to be rounded up for whatever reason, I don't imagine that shooting my way out and living in hiding would be a lifestyle I'd particularly want to maintain.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

World Famous W posted:

I guess I should also add that I do disagree with you though. My brother, a gay man born and raised in alabama, owns a pistol for his protection. He bought it after having a beer bottle hurled at him from a vehicle while the driver screamed the f slur at him. For walking down the road holding his boyfriends hand.

He also had a can of pink paint hurled onto his car parked in the driveway.

I feel no need to argue with him that heat be under threat from others and wants to sleep next to his pistol

So….you think firing a gun at a moving vehicle would result in a better outcome?? gently caress hate crimes/homophobia/etc and I’m really sorry for those things happening to your brother.

But drat, using that as a specific example is the exact situation where you absolutely do not want to use a gun unless you don’t give a gently caress about the safety of bystanders

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I know this was just announced.

It still doesn't exist quite yet however.

But I reiterate, assume your worst fears come true: A squad of these goons are on your front porch, armed, backed by the government, and telling you to come out. What do you expect to happen? You owning a gun isn't going to keep them away. You owning a gun certainly didn't prevent the creation of their organization.

So what do you honestly expect to accomplish with your gun?

If the answer is "I won't be alone either, I'll be in an armed militia of my own, etc" then what you're preparing for is civil war, and it's an entirely different reality than what you're professing the gun you own is supposed to be for.

Crain fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 3, 2021

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Crain posted:

Assuming this is the situation you find yourself in, you are in open warfare.

They farm a lot of this out to Proud Boy types and local hicks historically if you look at Jim Crow and a lot of the 20th century oppression of Native Americans or the 2020 protests. Genocide is manpower-intensive and people are likely to be facing Kyle Rittenhouse and friends at least at first - in fact, they literally are right now! You're making a lot of assumptions here about it being useless to street fight with the freikorps because you can't beat up a tank or whatever.

Edit: my point isn't about a one man civil war, I'm just curious as to why liberals advocate rolling over so completely you can't even deal with outside agitator vigilantes like Kyle trying to do their little freelance pogroms in your neighborhood

Wang Commander fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 3, 2021

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kalit posted:

So….you think firing a gun at a moving vehicle would result in a better outcome?? gently caress hate crimes/homophobia/etc and I’m really sorry for those things happening to your brother.

But drat, using that as a specific example is the exact situation where you absolutely do not want to use a gun unless you don’t give a gently caress about the safety of bystanders
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said shoot at a moving vehicle. I said I understand victims of hate crimes wanting a gun

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guns are insanely rarely used in self-defense despite the ridiculous (and clearly phony) numbers the gun lobby likes to toss out. A gun in the home is ~11 times more likely to be used to attempt to or successfully end one's life than it is to be fired in self-defense. It's four times as likely to be accidentally discharged causing injury than to be used in self-defense.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crain posted:

But I reiterate, assume your worst fears come true: A squad of these goons are on your front porch, armed, backed by the government, and telling you to come out. What do you expect to happen? You owning a gun isn't going to keep them away. You owning a gun certainly didn't prevent the creation of their organization.

If the answer is "I won't be alone either, I'll be in an armed militia of my own, etc" then what you're preparing for is civil war, and it's an entirely different reality than what you're professing the gun you own is supposed to be for.
Didn't we just have a fairly prominent trial of a lone gunman who murdered some people who were armed with skateboards and plastic bags

E: and crippled a guy who had a gun and opportunity but who decided not to use it

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Crain posted:

Not sure I buy that organized group self-defense is quite as distinct from individual self-defense is you're making it out to be. But it is reasonable to be prepared for both if you safely can.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Crain posted:

But I reiterate, assume your worst fears come true: A squad of these goons are on your front porch, armed, and telling you to come out. What do you expect to happen? You owning a gun isn't going to keep them away. You owning a gun certainly didn't prevent the creation of their organization.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing at all. If they come for outspoken leftists in Florida, they're going to come for me and they're going to gun me down. Maybe I wound or fatally injure one of them before my time's up, maybe I don't. But I'm not just gonna roll over and die.

Or maybe I will. Who knows. People can talk a lot of talk about what they'd do, but talk is talk until you're looking down a cold steel barrel :shrug:

As far as engaging in open civil war, I will say I've got some people in my neighborhood putting forth communal efforts at food independence in the wake of supply chain breakdowns, we haven't talked self defense because we'd previously been hopeful that armed conflict was not how it was going to go down, but I think these conversations are going to start being had, and in more serious tones.

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

Kalit posted:

I don't think the end game here is "my brother fires wildly at the truck in response". He is targeted for being gay. People drive by attack him for being gay. That is going to continue to happen, and one day that truck might stop and the people in it might get out and try to attack him. THAT scenario is what the gun is for. The moment some shithead is coming towards you with intent to do real harm is what the gun is for, not to take random potshots at people but to prevent grievous harm or death. That's the reality that queer people live by in some places. Amd until there's a better way to assure safety that isn't "pretend you're staight/cis in public" guns are sadly the only option people can think

Sorry if I'm speaking out of turn or for someone else but seriously, this seems super obvious to me.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Didn't we just have a fairly prominent trial of a lone gunman who murdered some people who were armed with skateboards and plastic bags

E: and crippled a guy who had a gun and opportunity but who decided not to use it

The posts I originally quote were constructing the idea that they needed a gun to resist organized, governmentally backed, military organizations coming to commit genocide against them.

I'm not sure how that relates to Rittenhouse.

Harold Fjord posted:

Not sure I buy that organized group self-defense is quite as distinct from individual self-defense is you're making it out to be. But it is reasonable to be prepared for both if you safely can.

I see a lot of it as action movie fantasy. "The DeSantis Brownshirts are coming for me but I have an AR to shoot them with and I will be safe and the hero because of it" is what I'm seeing.

If you're going to be getting into "street fights with the friekorps" as one poster responded to me suggested, then there's far more involved than just owning a gun.

Lib and let die posted:

Nothing. Absolutely nothing at all. If they come for outspoken leftists in Florida, they're going to come for me and they're going to gun me down. Maybe I wound or fatally injure one of them before my time's up, maybe I don't. But I'm not just gonna roll over and die.

Or maybe I will. Who knows. People can talk a lot of talk about what they'd do, but talk is talk until you're looking down a cold steel barrel :shrug:

As far as engaging in open civil war, I will say I've got some people in my neighborhood putting forth communal efforts at food independence in the wake of supply chain breakdowns, we haven't talked self defense because we'd previously been hopeful that armed conflict was not how it was going to go down, but I think these conversations are going to start being had, and in more serious tones.

At least you're honest about it.

Community cohesion and independence is far more useful than just doing the left-wing version of "If the government comes to take my religion and guns I'll just gun them down with my guns!". I'm still incredibly skeptical about how effective any of that will be in the face of what happened with the CHAZ and other attempts at "autonomous zones" over the summer of 2020. Looking more historically, the situation at Ruby Ridge and Waco from the other end of the political spectrum. A societal collapse where self protection comes down to small communal groups which have to face off against government and military forces does not seem viable to me. Not in the era of "gently caress it, drop a predator missile on the cabin".

Crain fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 3, 2021

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

SwingShift posted:

I don't think the end game here is "my brother fires wildly at the truck in response". He is targeted for being gay. People drive by attack him for being gay. That is going to continue to happen, and one day that truck might stop and the people in it might get out and try to attack him. THAT scenario is what the gun is for. The moment some shithead is coming towards you with intent to do real harm is what the gun is for, not to take random potshots at people but to prevent grievous harm or death. That's the reality that queer people live by in some places. Amd until there's a better way to assure safety that isn't "pretend you're staight/cis in public" guns are sadly the only option people can think

Sorry if I'm speaking out of turn or for someone else but seriously, this seems super obvious to me.
Got it in one, no worries

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
The Rittenhouses of the world are part of a continuum leading up through street gangs and freikorps to action movie level oppression. They're all the same thing. This happens over and over again. I'm not sure why not being able to fight off the worst case single-handed is an argument against being able to mount a deterrent against the criminals and adventures like Rittenhouse who are the face of fascist violence at this very moment.

We literally saw small groups of guys like that harassing people door to door in residential areas in 2020. Or the wildfire checkpoints. It starts small and weak and informal!

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

World Famous W posted:

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said shoot at a moving vehicle. I said I understand victims of hate crimes wanting a gun

I love how this country teaches us the disillusion that guns are a useful tool for self defense/makes someone feel safer :allears:

Seriously, this thought process needs to end: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/gun-threats-and-self-defense-gun-use-2/

But yes, I did put words in your mouth, because it sounded like you were endorsing his decision based on that specific scenario. And I overly extrapolated that unnecessarily. I’m sorry for that

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Kalit posted:

I love how this country teaches us the disillusion that guns are a useful tool for self defense/makes someone feel safer :allears:

Seriously, this thought process needs to end: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/gun-threats-and-self-defense-gun-use-2/

Now go back in time and lecture Huey Newton

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

...:stonk:

Wait they knowingly sent him to school with loving ammo?!

Jesus gently caress charge these chuds with accessory to murder

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Wang Commander posted:

The Rittenhouses of the world are part of a continuum leading up through street gangs and freikorps to action movie level oppression. They're all the same thing. This happens over and over again. I'm not sure why not being able to fight off the worst case single-handed is an argument against being able to mount a deterrent against the criminals and adventures like Rittenhouse who are the face of fascist violence at this very moment.

We literally saw small groups of guys like that harassing people door to door in residential areas in 2020. Or the wildfire checkpoints. It starts small and weak and informal!

for me, it's partially that I can't see mounting action against that as doing anything but accelerating towards civil war.

A Rittenhouse situation happens again, but this time a left-wing person or group kill him after he shoots someone else. Or a "local militia" is stopping cars and a counter force challenges them, leading to a gun fight and death of the initial group.

I do not for a second believe that the cops who respond to that will treat a left-wing citizen like they did Rittenhouse, or various militia members who do this sort of thing. Assume they even arrest them instead of just gunning them down right then and there or hunt them down later (which is what happened with the guy who shot a proud boy at a protest).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crain posted:

The posts I originally quote were constructing the idea that they needed a gun to resist organized, governmentally backed, military organizations coming to commit genocide against them.

I'm not sure how that relates to Rittenhouse.
Rittenhouse is one of the governmentally approved freikorps paramilitary dudes coming to murder activists

They don't have to be organized, the government just sent every fascist a message that even if they video themselves premeditating a plan to go murder protesters the government doesn't like and then celebrating their kills afterwards, the courts will suppress all that evidence and let them cry in front of a sympathetic jury