Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

My Fuji Gi pants completely ripped open last night during sparring. Ripped from the waist line all the way down basically to my leg. I didnt even notice, my instructor stopped me and basically said "Your pants are open". I was slightly embarrassed as Im sure some people people got the full view of my undies and who knows maybe even more :butt:

sorry about your britches :(

in the year and some change i've been doing this, i've seen multiple butts and endured many farts. this sport is gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

britches need stitches

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
justgipants.com

ihop fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 3, 2021

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks for this. Ive heard of this site before.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Landed hard and hit the back of my head in randori last night and felt pretty fuzzy for a while. Hopefully won't make that mistake again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Landed hard and hit the back of my head in randori last night and felt pretty fuzzy for a while. Hopefully won't make that mistake again.

drat that poo poo is serious. Take it easy for a while.

My windmill I'm tilting at this year at judo is to get people to be (able to be) more chill in randori so this doesn't happen. I might have posted this a page or two ago but I can't remember because I say it over and over to our guys - our new randori rule for normal nights (i.e. not for the weeks specifically prepping someone for a specific competition) is to go 100% on foot sweeps but only to do the entries if attempting a big throw.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
My partner shook me off of his back while he was turtled and my head made a sound like a coconut hitting the ground. That was fun.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I feel fine, I was just rattled afterward. I was going in for o soto gari and my partner countered in a way I wasn't expecting and I didn't even realize I was getting thrown until I hit the ground.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I once shot a double leg and slipped and had a concussion so bad I had to go on medical leave at work and eventually had to find a new job.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

gay for gacha posted:

I once shot a double leg and slipped and had a concussion so bad I had to go on medical leave at work and eventually had to find a new job.

Dude, you gotta take it easy. You got your knee massively hosed up too, right? You want to keep doing this into your 30's at least, right?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

gay for gacha posted:

drat dude

starkebn
May 18, 2004

gay for gacha posted:

Hardcore

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Everybody stop getting injured.

Also sorry about the head injuries :(

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

When I teach class I tell everyone "no injuries allowed"

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

heeebrew posted:

When I teach class I tell everyone "no injuries allowed"

At my school this is known as 'something wrong, you wrong.'

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Dude, you gotta take it easy. You got your knee massively hosed up too, right? You want to keep doing this into your 30's at least, right?

I'd like to do this forever, much to the dismay of my wife. The head injury was really scary. But, the knee injury was the wake up call. I'm now really afraid of getting injured and being forced into a sedentary life in my 40's and 50's.

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 4, 2021

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Hi, I just started training a few months ago and last night finished the “introductory” course that my local gym has. I’ve been doing gi and really enjoying it. We have not been sparring much in the introductory class (it’s learning positions and escapes mostly) but we did some rolling to finish off yesterday andI managed to catch someone in a triangle for the first time. That felt nice.

Question: we have a really big and strong guy in the class (like 130+kg), I’m not small at just under 100kg but whenever I get him in a dominant position (side control, mount) he just bench presses the gently caress out of me. I’ve tried catching an armbar a few times when he does this but It’s not going great. Any advice? He also had a prolific strongman stomach which makes it really hard to get solid control as he’s so loving big…. Guess I just keep rolling with him until I figure it out.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
think about your pins as dynamic positions, your wedges will have you change as they escape. You can't expect to maintain a static pin on a guy even your own size.( take his back)

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Vashro posted:

think about your pins as dynamic positions, your wedges will have you change as they escape. You can't expect to maintain a static pin on a guy even your own size.( take his back)

^^^to expand on this, my instructor talks about maintaining top control by thinking about the concept of a can within a can.

If you take a small coffee can and place it inside a large coffee can, you can spin the smaller can without the large can even moving.

So when you have a dominant top position on someone, and they start to bridge and bench press to try and get you off or to get out, you want to be allowing yourself to get light and lose enough to allow them to spin and move while not moving yourself.

So from mount, you may have a guy try to bridge and roll onto his side, it's a great time for you to go into crooked mount, which is basically halfway to their back - something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23p7vfsNSSY&t=95s

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Okay thanks, I'll try that a bit more next time. It's just really rough when suddenly you are a meter off the ground and have been bench pressed 100% by a strongman. Will try to move around the arms and flow to a better position.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Also, have they introduced you to S mount or technical mount yet? It can be just plain difficult to do a traditional mount on guys with big bellies.

Edit: quick GIS of technical mount:

Edit: I think Butros beat me to this, I'm at work so I didn't check the video but it sounds similar.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 16, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fat man mount.

I just love knee on belly against big dudes who are too big to properly mount.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Also, have they introduced you to S mount or technical mount yet? It can be just plain difficult to do a traditional mount on guys with big bellies.

We learned them in the context of mount to arm bar transition. I'll try it :) I'll also try some big boy knee on belly riding.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Fat man mount.

I just love knee on belly against big dudes who are too big to properly mount.

sometimes i'll go knee on belly and lift my posting leg up to put all my weight on that big belly and force them to move around.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

stramit posted:

We learned them in the context of mount to arm bar transition. I'll try it :) I'll also try some big boy knee on belly riding.

Just make sure you base out the back leg like in that picture, in case they try to turn into you. And snug the front leg up against them and grab that top arm in case they turn away.

You can get this a lot from normal mount if they lift their shoulders off the mat; as soon as that happens slide your knee up against their shoulder blade and that becomes the back leg of your technical mount.

If you get a good, snug technical mount, high on their chest, with that top arm exposed, I think most white belts are going to be pretty screwed unless you mess up your base and they can manage to knock you over. You can work on, and finish, submissions without ever leaving the technical mount, you don't have to try for an arm bar, lose it, and then lose the mount because you committed to an arm bar and laid down next to them.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
These are all great suggestions. One other thing to keep in mind is that you can make yourself nearly impossible to bench press off from the top if you channel your inner Bruce Lee and "be like water, my friend"--keep your upper body loose and change the angle of your torso so that it isn't perpendicular to the bottom person's arms, and their hands will just kinda slide off you. The analogy that gets thrown around a lot is how much harder it is to pick up a 50lb bag of rice than a 50lb dumbbell because the dumbbell is rigid and easy to hold onto. This idea can also be applied to guard passing, especially the knee shield.

This doesn't apply if they have their hands on your hip crease--in that case, you need to yank those hands up(and preferably scoot up into high mount) ASAP, otherwise you're gonna get yeeted off, especially if the bottom person is strong and/or explosive.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

stramit posted:

Question: we have a really big and strong guy in the class (like 130+kg), I’m not small at just under 100kg but whenever I get him in a dominant position (side control, mount) he just bench presses the gently caress out of me. I’ve tried catching an armbar a few times when he does this but It’s not going great. Any advice? He also had a prolific strongman stomach which makes it really hard to get solid control as he’s so loving big…. Guess I just keep rolling with him until I figure it out.

When they use their arms to push, switch your hips and go over the arms. This really works well in side control when people are trying to push away from passing. I was shown this by a black belt friend of mine and use it all the time and havent seen anyone stop it yet when they extend their arms. Also, when they are extending their arms, they are usually giving up an armbar as well no matter where they are: inside your guard, from bottom side control, from mount. You'll learn as you go through your journey how to capitalize on these positions and secure the armbar submission from those positions.

Good luck, have fun and tap frequently!

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
As someone transitioning from almost exclusively strength training to bjj I found this video by RP to be really great. RP (imo) has some of the best strength training information on the internet and knowing they care about bjj as well feels good :)

https://youtu.be/f8Vhi7SuFe8

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

stramit posted:

As someone transitioning from almost exclusively strength training to bjj I found this video by RP to be really great. RP (imo) has some of the best strength training information on the internet and knowing they care about bjj as well feels good :)

https://youtu.be/f8Vhi7SuFe8

I used to train BJJ with that guy in around 2015-2016 i think.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Got my purple belt tonight! Here's hoping I don't spend seven years on this belt like I did with blue!

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

Congrats!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Good job man

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Congratulations!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
heartiest congratulations on purple.

after a 2 year hiatus due to injury i have returned to my permanent white belt status and am training again.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Thanks everyone!

Training has really kept me sane the last little while so I'm hoping I'll be able to continue to do so.

Also I'm glad you are able to train again Marching Powder!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

duckdealer posted:

Got my purple belt tonight! Here's hoping I don't spend seven years on this belt like I did with blue!

That's awesome! 7 years or not, you've got it now!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

duckdealer posted:

It's nice to get the recognition. Congratulations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

:mummyface:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Anyone else watching their body really change through Jiu Jitsu? Not to toot my own horn, but holy poo poo Ive gotten stronger just over the past 6 months. Im leaner, stronger and my endurance has been crazy lately. I cut out the poo poo from my diet and am basically only on protein (fish and chicken only), rice and veggies. Lots of fruit. Little to no sugar in my diet. Its made a huge improvement. My wife says my stomach looks like Mr Pilates :D

Also Ive been doing the Rickson method of breathing during rolling (my coach is a big advocate of this) of trying to breathe using my diaphragm and I actually think it does help.

duckdealer posted:

Congrats! Purple is a fun stage.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Congarts!