Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I feel legitimately bad for the pretenders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i also just beat shiva's brains in. that was an intense fight. i was stuck on it for a good while. sick game. the non-waifu designs are really amazing. lmao @ the camera panning up across abdiel near the end.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And that's a wrap. I'll post my thoughts more when I've collected them but as the credits roll I'll say. Pretty good, but lesser than the mainline predecessors but greater than apocalypse.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm still figuring out what order to tackle the abscesses in Taito, but have so far done a clockwise order and kinda just brute-forcing a few of them by spamming phys block on a particularly annoying fight. But now that I've finally unlocked the last ability slots, it means I gotta re-fuse and use my essences on some of my current guys.

Loup-garou is murdering the poo poo out of everything with style.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I'm sure this has been asked, but I browsed the last few pages without finding anything. My only experience with SMT is playing a little Persona 4 on Steam, but I didn't really like the gameplay loop of going to high school class and all that. How is SMT V compared to that? I really have no idea what the different between the various games are.

Really been itching for some jrpg again and wondering if I should give it a try.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Farg posted:

4 is the best one because they are friends :)

honestly one thing I really like about 3's cast is that not all of them are friends with each other, they're just around for a common goal

Sjonkel posted:

I'm sure this has been asked, but I browsed the last few pages without finding anything. My only experience with SMT is playing a little Persona 4 on Steam, but I didn't really like the gameplay loop of going to high school class and all that. How is SMT V compared to that? I really have no idea what the different between the various games are.

Really been itching for some jrpg again and wondering if I should give it a try.

it's basically almost entirely exploring and combat. there are some persona similarities with the way the combat system works and fusing demons, but the structure behind it all is far more focused on combat

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If you don’t do the quest to take out the power sources, is Ishtar much harder or is the quest basically a requirement unless you want to challenge yourself? I was expecting some kind of twist or gimmick with it, but turns out it just makes the boss very easy

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

bobjr posted:

If you don’t do the quest to take out the power sources, is Ishtar much harder or is the quest basically a requirement unless you want to challenge yourself? I was expecting some kind of twist or gimmick with it, but turns out it just makes the boss very easy

I tried her a couple of times last night at full power and it seems very doable. She gets one turn for every active tower, but it you bring demons that null lightning or light she'll throw most of them away. Helps to have a Dominion with taunt. The avian magatsuhi skill hits her with seal every time, causing her to lose an entire round.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lets hang out posted:

I tried her a couple of times last night at full power and it seems very doable. She gets one turn for every active tower, but it you bring demons that null lightning or light she'll throw most of them away. Helps to have a Dominion with taunt. The avian magatsuhi skill hits her with seal every time, causing her to lose an entire round.

That sounds like a pretty fun challenge, I might have to do that on a second playthrough.

It was disappointing how taking down all the towers results in literally the easiest boss fight in the game, I was hoping there'd still be a little bit of challenge to that fight!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Mmmm, maybe grinding for the superboss won't be so bad. The area I'm in has level 85+ demons that are probably meant as a punishment for not going with the gimmicks but they are easily hit by Trumpeter's Evil Toot and there are lots of them. And I'd only have to get on their level before popping my gospels. Only problem would be farming all the money to fuse so much poo poo if I wanna complete the Compedium.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
As spoiler free as possible, when is your route locked in and is it a choice or is it taking your choices into account?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's a dungeon at the end of Area 4; it locks in at the end of that. W/r/t your previous choices you can choose the path you want, but if you pick law/chaos and it aligns with your previous choices, you get a bonus miracle, and if it does not, there is one sidequest you have to pay a hefty sum to unlock, which would otherwise have been free.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how much more I would have enjoyed P5 if the localization wasn't made out of oatmeal and sawdust

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There's a dungeon at the end of Area 4; it locks in at the end of that. W/r/t your previous choices you can choose the path you want, but if you pick law/chaos and it aligns with your previous choices, you get a bonus miracle, and if it does not, there is one sidequest you have to pay a hefty sum to unlock, which would otherwise have been free.

If I accidentally made a couple law-abiding choices when I'm going for chaos will that gently caress up the miracle or is it pretty forgiving?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Deified Data posted:

If I accidentally made a couple law-abiding choices when I'm going for chaos will that gently caress up the miracle or is it pretty forgiving?

I believe the way you check is look at your stats screen, if you're Unknown you're not high enough on a side, according to someone.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Level 81 and grinding is still going surprisingly fast. I think I'll get one more level and Gospel to 93 (so the endgame isn't a COMPLETE joke), and then proceed to spend hours farming money to fuse all the new stuff and get a team for the superboss.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Monkey Fracas posted:

I wonder how much more I would have enjoyed P5 if the localization wasn't made out of oatmeal and sawdust

What was bad about the localization? Is that when it became Woke Teens: The Game?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Level 81 and grinding is still going surprisingly fast. I think I'll get one more level and Gospel to 93 (so the endgame isn't a COMPLETE joke), and then proceed to spend hours farming money to fuse all the new stuff and get a team for the superboss.

If you're playing on hard I'd recommend waiting a bit before using your Gospels, Shiva hits really loving hard and your gonna want all the advantage you can

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

enojy posted:

What was bad about the localization? Is that when it became Woke Teens: The Game?

what

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
echoing that what

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also what

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i'm a woke teen

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Gaius Marius posted:

If you're playing on hard I'd recommend waiting a bit before using your Gospels, Shiva hits really loving hard and your gonna want all the advantage you can

The problem is I wanna go for "that" and ran out of levelling opportunities, already did all other sidequests, beat all map superbosses and the highest mob before "that" is 87. I guess I could grind to 85-86 and use my 11 gospels and I get he will hit like my MC on drugs crits, but I kind of wanna try it at a slightly lower level?

I mean, it can't be as bad as Demi-fiend, right? Right...?

Also

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sorry, I hastily misued "woke". What I meant was that I found the characters and story of P5 to be over the top insufferable.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
There's a way to give a middle finger to all demons including Bethel right? All demons out! Get out! No more.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the superboss is about the right difficulty at level 87-88 on normal. On hard you probably want to target 91-92 to get the right amount of challenge

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

There's a way to give a middle finger to all demons including Bethel right? All demons out! Get out! No more.

yeah

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m in area 3 now and I’m finding it really hard to track sidequests. Am I meant to be going back to older areas and getting more quests? Seems new ones pop up. Went back to area 2 and looked around a bunch for mimans and quests and glory and all that

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
woke teens want to meet in your area

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’m in area 3 now and I’m finding it really hard to track sidequests. Am I meant to be going back to older areas and getting more quests? Seems new ones pop up. Went back to area 2 and looked around a bunch for mimans and quests and glory and all that

Yeah, sometimes there's a new quest in an old area but they're actually in the minority. Quests always appear on the map and teleport map when avaliable, just make sure you talk to every demon because some hide a subquest I think.

On build chat, I am right in feeling Murderous Glee isn't really worth it on MC? It feel like I'm barely critting and I have to run Crit Aura, but Charge would obviously mean meatier crits.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also did a quest at like level 39 and got drat level 44 black frost in my party. Right around this time I fused Alice with the exp from the quests and now I feel like I am suddenly very strong

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The secret to finding all the stuff is that abscesses are just ubisoft towers. Clearing them puts all the nearby points of interest on your map.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

secretly best girl posted:

I believe the way you check is look at your stats screen, if you're Unknown you're not high enough on a side, according to someone.

I don't think this is the case; mine said Unknown at the end of the game, and I was apparently deeply committed to an alignment.

Deified Data posted:

I don't know what all adds up to it, but I qualified for the Law miracle despite expressing nothing but contempt for Bethel whenever I had the chance.

My wager is that the chief contributing factor is who you side with in the "pick a side between Demons A and B and fight the other" sidequests, because that's the only place I figure I expressed support for Law.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Monkey Fracas posted:

P5s has a far better localization and it turns out I really do like the characters.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is area 3 supposed to be very confusing. I keep falling off things and looking for other things

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Is area 3 supposed to be very confusing. I keep falling off things and looking for other things

Area 3 has the problem of stuff looking like you can platform to it but in actuality you just have to follow the path.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

What was bad about the localization?

It's very bland and clumsily literal in parts as well as having some weird outright errors. Could take the errors but in a game that asks you to click through so much dialogue being bland/boring is a heavy burden (I think they fixed some of the blatant errors in Royal but predictably didn't overhaul the text for a 90-hour game)

If they ever released it on Switch I would probably still replay it- visuals and music really elevate the game. Either they're gonna release it on Switch or take too long and my desire to play it again will be renewed on its own

Feels Villeneuve posted:

P5s has a far better localization and it turns out I really do like the characters.

yep, I liked P5S

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Any time I wasn't sure where to go I'd think to myself "Oh right I have to go the long way around" this has worked every time and I haven't gotten lost since.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nothing is more disappointing than having a whole bunch of 65~72s and almost none of them being compatible fusions, and the ones that can resulting in fusions like 25~35 levels lower. There’s a strange desert of options after level 70.

It wasn’t this bad in 4/4A and P5. Right? Am I imagining that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's been a problem in most of the games. Most of the high end demons end up being special fushions, it's more pronounced in this one given the rather anemic roster.

Its always been pretty bad though. How many endgame nocturne parties were just metatron Beelzebub and Dante. Or Apocalypse with Odin, Vishnu, Inanna and Satan.