Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
there would be literally nothing but green boots left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

there would be literally nothing but green boots left

It's a big pair of shoes to fill; someone's got to step up

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Boner M posted:

Do you reckon rich people eat the Everest dead.

Older ones more expensive, or like Green boots is famous so big $$$

This is such an apt post for your original Jeffrey Dahmer username

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Maybe we should start making paint from all the freeze dried bodies on Everest now that the supply of Mummy Brown has dried up.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Desert Bus posted:

Maybe we should start making paint from all the freeze dried bodies on Everest now that the supply of Mummy Brown has dried up.

Better yet, repurpose all the poo poo and piss left behind that's threatening the ecosystem!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

a fresh coat of green boots green that lets mormons know you're the last house on the hill

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Bumping this up because Netflix just dropped a doc about a Nepalese dude trying to climb the 8,000ers all in seven months.

Spoiler alert, Reinhold Messner is in it, and his hair is still magnificent.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Drone_Fragger posted:

The trick is to only pay your Sherpas on the way up. They have to go down too. Just follow them back down.

When I climbed Kinabalu in the 80's one of the things we read about it was that during the yearly race, which in its early years was dominated by the Gurkhas, they discovered that beyond a certain point of fitness everybody went up at about the same pace. The Gurkhas won because they could descend twice as fast as anyone else.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Had to look him up.

That's not hair, that is a glorious mane.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Had to look him up.

That's not hair, that is a glorious mane.

I'm not putting it in a thumbnail because it needs to be seen at full glory.

Also his name does not match his nationality. (he's Italian).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

maybe he's a goth foederati

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm not putting it in a thumbnail because it needs to be seen at full glory.

Also his name does not match his nationality. (he's Italian).

Well, South Tyrolean, which used to be part of Austria until the end of the war.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Bumping this up because Netflix just dropped a doc about a Nepalese dude trying to climb the 8,000ers all in seven months.

It's not just a Nepalese dude but motherfucking Nims! What a fun watch with gorgeous cinematography and great interviews from his family.

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
Many, many years ago somebody posted a link to a .pdf or a website possibly affiliated with "Accidents in North American Mountaineering". There was a quote there that was shared that discussed how you should read accident reports with a sober awareness that a reasonable person was likely involved in the accident; meaning, that you shouldn't read and guffaw at what an idiot they were, but try your best to have some humility and imagine how you would have made the same mistake. Does this ring any bells?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

Many, many years ago somebody posted a link to a .pdf or a website possibly affiliated with "Accidents in North American Mountaineering". There was a quote there that was shared that discussed how you should read accident reports with a sober awareness that a reasonable person was likely involved in the accident; meaning, that you shouldn't read and guffaw at what an idiot they were, but try your best to have some humility and imagine how you would have made the same mistake. Does this ring any bells?

Accidents in North American Climbing? I bet that annual report is fascinating reading, but I'm not paying for it. Anybody know if the older legacy reports are free anywhere? 2014, 1995, I'm sure they're all interesting.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Dead Nerve posted:

It's not just a Nepalese dude but motherfucking Nims! What a fun watch with gorgeous cinematography and great interviews from his family.

"Dude" is how I show affection for people that could kill me with their pinky.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Can't wait for the next guy to try to climb them all in 6 months.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm the youngest white guy from Texas to climb all 8000ers in seven months while carrying a Futurama DVD boxed set.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

First south Asian lady from Canada to

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Found a sweet Everest hoodie at the thrift store so now I can some of that mountain stolen valor.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

"Dude" is how I show affection for people that could kill me with their pinky.

:hmmyes:

right on

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

I don’t have that, but I do have this report about American caving accidents 2009–2010.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Apparently cavers are incredibly ready to talk poo poo about spelunkers. Who knew!

e: some good lmaos

quote:

Comments: Little information is available on this incident, but considering it was a 2 AM trip to a cave locally known as Stoner’s Den probably explains a lot.
also some really heavy/awful stories obviously

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 3, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

also some really heavy/awful stories obviously

Yeah this includes the guy who died in Nutty Putty cave

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I found decent footage from the 'easy' route through nutty putty cave awhile back.

Short version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3EhsYmh9RM

Playlist for the full trip linked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-pKKq0Y1XA&list=PLQDyBNLrAJiNNUZmPglUpBw0vG24IXQ4_

I'm slightly more willing to try my odds at not freezing to death on an 8,000er than I am to doing that sort of caving.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

I'm slightly more willing to try my odds at not freezing to death on an 8,000er than I am to doing that sort of caving.

I'm exactly the same willing, which is zero. Zero willing, for either things.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

nomad2020 posted:

I found decent footage from the 'easy' route through nutty putty cave awhile back.

Short version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3EhsYmh9RM

Playlist for the full trip linked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-pKKq0Y1XA&list=PLQDyBNLrAJiNNUZmPglUpBw0vG24IXQ4_

It’s funny cuz when I was growing up everyone went to Nutty Putty cave. I refused to go in cuz I was a wimp and it seemed terrifying to me as a kid. but it was very popular n the early 90s for teens and scouts.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

Reasonable people don't climb mountains, so I kinda disagree with the premise.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've driven to the top of a mountain, they're not all unreasonable to go up.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Imagine climbing an 8000 plus metre and dying. You’d have to be a freakin nooblord to manage that lmao

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Reasonable people don't climb mountains, so I kinda disagree with the premise.

Most mountains east of the Mississippi river are day trips at best.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

nomad2020 posted:

Most mountains east of the Mississippi river are day trips at best.

The largest is Mount Mitchell in NC, like 6800'. I hiked it in February, the was snow at the top but I was in shorts.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lmao again that 4400' Ben Nevis stacks an average of three bodies every year

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nocheez posted:

The largest is Mount Mitchell in NC, like 6800'. I hiked it in February, the was snow at the top but I was in shorts.

Mount Washington is 6288', and it kills people every year.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The waterfalls in the area are far more dangerous. Idiots die all the time ignoring trail boundaries and slipping on moss or water.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nocheez posted:

I went up the top of Mt Kosciusko in tshirt and shorts because they told us that it wouldn't be cold up there in summer.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I climbed Fuji during the climbing season, but nobody told the weather that it was climbing season. Sideways rain, near freezing. Had to keep moving to stay warm. At the top, it was just me, one other dude, and the handful of people who run the one store/eatery still open.

When the old gruff man who runs the place said, "This weather isn't going to get any better today. You should start heading down now," you listen to the gruff old man of the mountain.

And that's my story. Honestly, I would love to attempt to climb an 8,000-er, but I can also think of many more things I would rather spend a year's training and salary on.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

shame on an IGA posted:

lmao again that 4400' Ben Nevis stacks an average of three bodies every year
Snowdonia is even shorter 3500' and racks up deaths. It ends up being factor of the sheer number of 'normal' people going up. Throw in a knife edge scramble or two...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Last time I took the cog railway to the top of Mount Washington, there were dumbasses in t-shirts and shorts hanging around at the top freezing despite being warned that wasn’t a great idea. It’s like people look at the White Mountains and think they’re nothing compared to the Rockies, but then the wind sets in…