Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh poo poo I’ve been trying to figure out how to mount my GoPro in a less lovely way on my modular ADV helmet, thanks for this.

I use this on my dirt and modular helmets and it works perfectly. I dislike stick on mounts as I don’t like how they look when I am not running a GoPro but ya chin mounts are 100% the best for getting a good POV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Steakandchips posted:

You buying a place with a garage in the spring?

Buying a place without a garage right now, then building a garage in spring. I mean I say garage, it'll be a metal shed 'cause that's all that'll fit on the plot, and even if there was space I couldn't afford bricks.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

dema posted:

I have a GoPro chin mount from here:
https://chinmounts.com/

Previously also just used Sugru.

And, at least for GoPros, you can get a foam case that cuts down on wind noise.

Looks like a low quality 3D print, why would I buy that?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Buying a place without a garage right now, then building a garage in spring. I mean I say garage, it'll be a metal shed 'cause that's all that'll fit on the plot, and even if there was space I couldn't afford bricks.

A good plan, but is there no chance of moving further afield to get somewhere with a garage for the same money?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

SEKCobra posted:

Looks like a low quality 3D print, why would I buy that?

It’s more about the contour than the structural strength, they’re just kept on with 3M tape anyway. I think if you’re in a situation where the plastic itself is going to break, the adhesive isn’t going to keep whatever mount you use on.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Strife that's rad, no pun intended

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Steakandchips posted:

A good plan, but is there no chance of moving further afield to get somewhere with a garage for the same money?

Not while retaining my sanity, no. I've lived and worked in the places where bigger houses are cheaper than this (in the UK that is) and they're thoroughly soul destroying to exist in even temporarily.

It should be manageable enough, I've picked up a pair of these dollies to hopefully make things a bit less cramped:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 26, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I made a chin mount for my GoPro just by stacking up a few pieces of VHB tape on the contoured area until it was flat enough to adhere the GoPro plate. It hasn't even hinted at coming loose in the 5 years or so I've had it set up like that. No need for anything fancier.

If you want the specific thick foamy incredibly strong tape that GoPro uses, it's 3M 4991.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

I made a chin mount for my GoPro just by stacking up a few pieces of VHB tape on the contoured area until it was flat enough to adhere the GoPro plate. It hasn't even hinted at coming loose in the 5 years or so I've had it set up like that. No need for anything fancier.

If you want the specific thick foamy incredibly strong tape that GoPro uses, it's 3M 4991.

I shaped up a mount out of 2-part 3M epoxy putty (the grey roll with the blue center) for my old helmet a few years back. I built and shaped it up in place on the chin with some masking tape or Saran wrap or similar, and then used the curved GoPro mount to shape that surface. Trimmed everything with a razor, colored it black with a sharpie, and used the 3M foamy tape and it was strong as hell.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Surprisingly in all the years I've been doing track days I've never had a rainy one until yesterday. Mid 40s all day and nearly continuous drizzle.

Battlax S22s felt pretty great in the wet. I maybe felt some loss of traction or more slipping of the rear end around a few corners, but it wasn't nearly as bad or sketchy as I thought a rainy track day could be.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I wanna get into track riding. But, it all seems like a lot of work.

Swapping out radiator fluid. Taping things. Something to do with safety wire. Loading the bike into the truck. Paying a few hundred dollars. Lots of rules. Maybe wrecking your poo poo and being out thousands of dollars.

God, I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

On the positive note, it's still fall here.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

dema posted:

Swapping out radiator fluid. Taping things. Something to do with safety wire. Loading the bike into the truck. Paying a few hundred dollars. Lots of rules. Maybe wrecking your poo poo and being out thousands of dollars.

Well, you'll need to change coolant sooner or later. Taping takes a few minutes and you only need safety wires for racing.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

dema posted:

The trackdays I've done don't require water-only coolant, so anti-freeze is fine. Safety wire, like ImplicitAssembler said, is only necessary for racing. Taping is pretty fast unless you're trying to be one of the Ducati-owning tryhards. It is wise to trailer your bike in the event that you crash-- and you'll be very tired by the end of the day.

Don't wreck/ride within your limits and you should be fine. Especially with a naked bike like yours-- frame and bar end sliders among whatever else should mean a lowside would do very minimal damage, and your bike looks new enough to have ABS and TCS, so really if you're not an airhead you should have a good time and not wreck your stuff.

With that said, you do own a KTM, so you'd be wise to loctite every single bolt you can find.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

dema posted:

The track days I've been to didn't require any of that. You're also put into groups according to skill level and most I've been to you weren't allowed to overtake, which also decreases the chances of a mishap occurring.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Chuckwalla requires your oil drain plug to be wired, but you can buy a pre-drilled plug very easily or get something like this in the pre-drilled option:
https://www.stahlbus-us.com/

Other than that, taping is easy and you don't need water wetter most of the time. In the C group you often can only pass on the straights, not the turns, which is safer and great and all that until you end up stuck behind someone on a brand new high end Ducati who's parking it in the turns but killing you in the straights. But when I got frustrated I'd just pull off like I was going to the pits, wait 30 seconds, then get back out there and have an open track. Most of the events around here have free coaching in the C group too.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Definitely check with the track day providers in your area on what they require. In my experience, the only thing you need is a bike in good condition; mirrors should be taped up or removed, and lights should be taped over or the fuse(s) pulled. Taping up the lights takes like 5 minutes.

Getting to/from the track is by far the biggest effort. I think you already have a truck and a garage, so that's a huge help. You can load everything up the day before and then just drive there in the morning. I have to rent, and there's no way I'm leaving everything street parked, so I end up loading everything up at 3 or 4 in the morning, and then scrambling to unload and return before my 24hour rental expires.

The rules are common sense. C group almost always no passing on the inside, some no passing in the corner, "pass for the comfort of the person your passing" eg 6-8ft bubble. Like MomJeans says, if you find yourself bunched up or stuck in traffic, pull into the hot pit, wait for an opening, then head back out. B group is far worse than C group when it comes to passing and people being bozos because there's much more spread in rider skill/comfort compared to C or A.

High Protein posted:

The track days I've been to didn't require any of that. You're also put into groups according to skill level and most I've been to you weren't allowed to overtake, which also decreases the chances of a mishap occurring.

Aren't allowed in the corners or at all?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

Aren't allowed in the corners or at all?

Not at all.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Ridesmart, in Texas, allows passing on the outside of corners for level 3 after the first half of the day, I believe.

The level 2 group is split into a A and B group of slower and faster people and I think passing is more open for them, but I haven't ridden in that group yet.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That seems kind of insane?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just imagining a guy on a 50CC, just absolutely maxed out doing 90 down the straights, with a huge train of literbikes all lined up behind, all just shrugging like them's the rules bro.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah exactly. I don’t understand how you wouldn’t end up with a clump of bikes slowly circling the track when you essentially have the slowest rider/bike setting the pace.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah exactly. I don’t understand how you wouldn’t end up with a clump of bikes slowly circling the track when you essentially have the slowest rider/bike setting the pace.

You're put into groups depending on speed and everyone follows an instructor who sets the pace. Every session he ups the speed a bit and anyone who can't keep up is put in a slower group. I like it because you're always riding behind someone who's more skilled, and you can follow their lines.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That sounds awesome and I want to try it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

I like it because you're always riding behind someone who's more skilled, and you can follow their lines.

This can be helpful even if it's just from a standpoint of "if he can do that I can do that." When I took my Rex out to BC this fall I ended up pushing myself faster than usual on one of my favorite roads, trying to keep up with this guy on an adv bike as we came off the ferry. I know that's behaviour best kept to the track, but in the moment I was just excited.

Also a cynical part of me was thinking if there was someone oncoming in the wrong lane, or some deer, or the fuzz, I'd have advance warning...

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Phy posted:

This can be helpful even if it's just from a standpoint of "if he can do that I can do that." When I took my Rex out to BC this fall I ended up pushing myself faster than usual on one of my favorite roads, trying to keep up with this guy on an adv bike as we came off the ferry. I know that's behaviour best kept to the track, but in the moment I was just excited.

Also a cynical part of me was thinking if there was someone oncoming in the wrong lane, or some deer, or the fuzz, I'd have advance warning...

The lead-follow tour I did in Hakone with Fun 2 Drive was basically like this. We had a lead car that was driving way faster and new the roads, and then me-- someone who had never driven in a RHD car trying to keep up. I have no idea how the guy knew there was no oncoming traffic, because the lanes were barely two car widths wide, and they crossed the center divider. It was a blast, though. Would do again.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

High Protein posted:

You're put into groups depending on speed and everyone follows an instructor who sets the pace. Every session he ups the speed a bit and anyone who can't keep up is put in a slower group. I like it because you're always riding behind someone who's more skilled, and you can follow their lines.

Which country is this? I couldn't tell from your post history if you were in the US or somewhere in Europe. I've heard, at least in Italy, they tend to do things differently; everyone must have a lap timing/transponder, and then you get reassigned based on your pace, then the second half of the day is treated more like a club race. I've done lead/follow before, but it kind of sucked, because it was a demo ride mixed in with a normal C group session, so everyone else on the track was doing their thing, and the leader has a random group of people each session, so he isn't sure what pace to use, etc.. I'd be curious to see how doing a whole day where everyone is following that structure compares. I do like following an instructor the times I've done it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's gorgeous.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That color looks great.

Of course it’s going to be 70 here today and of course I’m busy all day. Ugh.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That colorway is gorgeous.

Rolo posted:

That color looks great.

Of course it’s going to be 70 here today and of course I’m busy all day. Ugh.

This has been the whole loving week with work for me.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I wish more bikes came in pastel colors (like the Yamaha Sakura concept)

In fact, motor vehicles in general - Why don't they come in more interesting colors? Cars look so bland these days.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've seen some articles focus on resale value and others focus on dealers, but it really comes down to "how likely is someone going to be to want to buy it".

For resale value, just because you loved your car in Gan Green or Purple Pain doesn't mean you'll have an easy time selling it to the next fellow.

For the dealers, the same thing holds, but also someone who walks in wanting that car in Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Banana might settle for the exact same one in Red, I Guess or Whatever, Silver's Fine, because they can take it off the lot right now rather than placing an order and waiting weeks to months for a color that isn't in inventory anywhere in the Pentacounty Area. Often there's also a significant upcharge for something outside of black, white, or silver.

And of course the manufacturers are paying attention to the sales data. The fun colors don't sell, because they're not stocked and hard to get and expensive, so they don't make as many, so they're hard to get and not stocked and they charge more if you do want one. It's a self-reinforcing system.

Performance cars and bikes are different cause they're going to people who are already a bit flashy anyway. Especially bikes. You don't see lime or acid green outside of Kawis, Triumphs, and Lamborghinis... and the Dodge Dart, iirc.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also I believe it's a truism of automotive marketing that cheap crappy cars are more likely to be bought in fun colors - I'm guessing because the buyers aren't thought to be as concerned with resale value or looking serious - so they're more often offered in fun colors. Go to Chevy's website and look at the Spark. Who the hell else makes teal cars? While luxury, non-fast cars for Extremely Serious People are Extremely Sober.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Winter is here so it’s time to start working on ye olde F11 and get it back on the road for next year. Now that my son is riding I need a kind of semi-serious enduro to ride with him

Man, it’s been, I think 7 years since it last was on the road

First up, new tubes and a set of gauges from eBay

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 3, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

Also I believe it's a truism of automotive marketing that cheap crappy cars are more likely to be bought in fun colors - I'm guessing because the buyers aren't thought to be as concerned with resale value or looking serious - so they're more often offered in fun colors. Go to Chevy's website and look at the Spark. Who the hell else makes teal cars? While luxury, non-fast cars for Extremely Serious People are Extremely Sober.

I like to think it's more a :biotruths: thing to do with animal colors. Small birds, bugs, frogs etc are brightly colored, elephants and bison etc are drab, and that just looks 'right' to a lot of people.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Winter is here so it’s time to start working on ye olde F11 and get it back on the road for next year. Now that my son is riding I need a kind of semi-serious enduro to ride with him

Man, it’s been, I think 7 years since it last was on the road

First up, new tubes and a set of gauges from eBay

Rules.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Motorcycles have very little real estate that require coloring, so they're much easier and cheaper to wrap in vinyl than cars. Few hundred bucks to go from Boring Gray to Safety Orange or whatever floats your boat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It is also just harder to make a brightly colored paint that will last as long as one that's black, white, or gray. Colored pigments degrade faster in sunlight than monochromatic ones. All those brightly colored neon and pastel paint jobs from the '60s and '70s would be oxidized and fading within five years, though at the time it didn't matter because you could buy a new car every 3 years anyway on your shoe salesman salary :shepface:

Today you can make a colored paint job that will last a very long time, but it is more expensive than a gray one. And since the vast majority of the car buying market is only interested in a cheap appliance, we get black, white, 800 different shades of gray, and a deep red and navy blue for an extra fee only on the highest end package.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also in the 1960’s seeing a car hit 100K miles was like seeing one hit a million miles today. You basically had to buy a new one every 3 years

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Found out this mountain is actually closed still, when I got to the top...

Zipped the warm vest back into my leather jacket, would have been cold without it. Need to sort out my hands and see if I still have that pair of silk undergloves somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Surprisingly in all the years I've been doing track days I've never had a rainy one until yesterday. Mid 40s all day and nearly continuous drizzle.

Battlax S22s felt pretty great in the wet. I maybe felt some loss of traction or more slipping of the rear end around a few corners, but it wasn't nearly as bad or sketchy as I thought a rainy track day could be.

Didn't buy photos this time because they were very boring, but I had a good time.