Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Serf posted:

personally i wouldn't mind being locked down forever. best time of my adult life

I've been in this apartment for 21 months now. It's not the self-imposed "lockdown" that's making me depressed, it's knowing that a) eventually an emergency will drive me out into exposure and b) everyone I ever knew is willing to kill/disable themselves and others for no good reason and ignore reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lastgirl posted:

its really made me see what's unnecessary and unfortunately a lot of aspects of american life are very unnecessary

like offices, and commutes

i still need to go in but i liked the part last year when everyone was staying home and had the boot taken slightly off their neck and everyone just felt way happier

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I can't see how Congress doesn't get utterly destroyed by this. Some of the Republicans are still trying to spread it on purpose, and those that aren't are doing it by accident. And the Dems like everyone else largely wear lovely worthless masks. And they all share a building where they are talking. And they're almost all ancient monsters who should have died ages ago were it not for their wealth.

Like how is there any way Omicron doesn't pull off a decapitation strike on the US government?

This is fine, if Herman Cain has taught us anything it's that politicians keep tweeting after death. :patriot:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Slider posted:

are there any posters on these forums pretending to be high ranking military officers?

hi i'm supreme commander of the allied forces dwight eisenhower. you might remember me from operations such as "mopping up western europe while the germans were busy elsewhere", and the meme "the virgin eisenhower vs the chad zhukov"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yeah. If it wasn't for the circumstances causing it, I had a great time with the 'lockdown'. Caught up on movies and games and books, Zoom and online movie streams with friends many of whom I haven't seen in person in ages anyway due to being in different states or work schedule issues. Like poo poo was wonderful and I can get how teens and children would find it awful, but I find it kind of baffling how so many adults found it so apparently horrific - especially since it wasn't 'do this for no reason' but rather 'do this to save literally millions of lives.'

Plus part of me had the naive hope that Americans would somehow realize through this action that, hey, yeah, we don't have to go to the office to work and actually WFH is at least as productive, if not moreso! And hey, now that I have more free time from not having to commute, I can better myself by learning new skills, or better my mental wellbeing by engaging in more fun recreational activities! Wow, I'm saving lives and learning!

Lol!

EDIT: Like I love movie theaters, and being with friends in person, yeah, I'd not want to do a lockdown - even the lovely fake one from last year - for my whole life. But honestly if you told me that I'd have 'lockdown' like that for 3 months every year, I'd say 'hell loving yes!'

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Zeroisanumber posted:

i still need to go in but i liked the part last year when everyone was staying home and had the boot taken slightly off their neck and everyone just felt way happier

yeah, let peopel treat that as a well wished fantasy instead of demanding the new status quo~

who said you need to? classic manipulation, keep your biden closed

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

We live on Hellworld

Rule one of Hellworld: The funniest possible outcome will happen, unless the consequences of that outcome are inherently Good.

Example: President Donald John Trump getting covid, but recovering and saying it's no big deal.

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

Hadlock posted:

Pretty sure we're seeing the speed of light for viruses tested right now

the graph never makes it to 60 days
apocalypse by asymptote

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think like 40% of people were having extramarital affairs and the lockdown put a crimp in that

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Timestamped to the important part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keNibn55S7c&t=1170s

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

euphronius posted:

I think like 40% of people were having extramarital affairs and the lockdown put a crimp in that

Anecdotal experience from work suggests you aren't far off.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lastgirl posted:

yeah, let peopel treat that as a well wished fantasy instead of demanding the new status quo~

who said you need to? classic manipulation, keep your biden closed

can't run a post office from home

lol i skip a day and i expect to come back to a smoking crater

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Louisgod posted:

he probably is a real doctor but it's extremely funny to put any doubt into his profession as he's a lib poisoned moron who got bullied to go post in a safe space echo chamber.

MadJackal's opinions are so loving low-effort and dumb that, without the veneer of a degree, he would just be another nobody idiot nodding his head along with whatever inevitably incorrect turd of hopium is floating around the zeitgeist at this moment.

On some level he knows this, which is why saying he isn't a real doctor is so hilarious.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

euphronius posted:

the SA data I think shows previous infections don’t mean poo poo

Right but I mean is omicron more severe or people who survived it before will survive omicron?

What I’m trying to get at is, will this clear out more chuds or are they all likely to survive it again like they did with delta?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Plus part of me had the naive hope that Americans would somehow realize through this action that, hey, yeah, we don't have to go to the office to work and actually WFH is at least as productive, if not moreso! And hey, now that I have more free time from not having to commute, I can better myself by learning new skills, or better my mental wellbeing by engaging in more fun recreational activities! Wow, I'm saving lives and learning!

Lol!

Yeah, me too

lmao

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I've been in this apartment for 21 months now. It's not the self-imposed "lockdown" that's making me depressed, it's knowing that a) eventually an emergency will drive me out into exposure and b) everyone I ever knew is willing to kill/disable themselves and others for no good reason and ignore reality.

If you've seriously been in an apartment for 21 months you need to move to a farm in the Midwest and garden and raise animals and whatnot

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
New variant infests the body better. Becomes more transmissible because higher viral load. More severe outcome as immune system reacts.

Rinse and repeat.

Omicron is just better at transmission is my guess because some mutation that made it more effectively grippy, maybe those mutations right at the tip of the spike. Then in a couple weeks the omicron-delta transmission mutation will start taking hold and exponential growth will meet exponential growth. Immunity evasion just icing on the cake.

Or not. Maybe things will go great. :shrug:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So on the lighter side of things, what do we think the Chinese history books will refer to this as? I mean would the future Chinese even call it a pandemic, considering that it was only really an epidemic everywhere besides China, and I imagine it's not going to be a pressing concern to consider the feelings of Westerners when they are all dead or dying in whatever lawless wastes remain of civilization outside of China.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lol

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Morbus posted:

MadJackal's opinions are so loving low-effort and dumb that, without the veneer of a degree, he would just be another nobody idiot nodding his head along with whatever inevitably incorrect turd of hopium is floating around the zeitgeist at this moment.

On some level he knows this, which is why saying he isn't a real doctor is so hilarious.

the c-spam thread has, generally, been one of the highest news:noise sources of real information of COVID and its mostly driven by the fact that there are a ton of people here with real loving credentials who know what they're talking about (and I'm not talking about myself)

a family practitioner kramering in and telling people who know what they're talking about how wrong they are is hopelessly irresponsible and its why he got chased out

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I say this with good intentions and care, goon - I think you should consider getting outside more (obviously with a comfy kn95 if people are around). Nothing is totally riskless anymore, and at the risk of sounding like a chud staying in apartment for two years is bad for your brain. I live next to a park and I have walked hundreds of laps this year.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Glumwheels posted:

Right but I mean is omicron more severe or people who survived it before will survive omicron?

What I’m trying to get at is, will this clear out more chuds or are they all likely to survive it again like they did with delta?

It's not going to make your enemies die, it will just make them stupider and madder.

edit: also it will crush whatever medical staff we have left

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 3, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Glumwheels posted:

An individual is not likely to die from omicron, whether or not they've been previously infected. On a societal level, lots of chuds will die, and probably a lot of libs who are relying on their vaccine to be all the protection they need.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So on the lighter side of things, what do we think the Chinese history books will refer to this as? I mean would the future Chinese even call it a pandemic, considering that it was only really an epidemic everywhere besides China, and I imagine it's not going to be a pressing concern to consider the feelings of Westerners when they are all dead or dying in whatever lawless wastes remain of civilization outside of China.

The dustbin of history

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

Stoop Kid posted:

I say this with good intentions and care, goon - I think you should consider getting outside more (obviously with a comfy kn95 if people are around). Nothing is totally riskless anymore, and at the risk of sounding like a chud staying in apartment for two years is bad for your brain. I live next to a park and I have walked hundreds of laps this year.

Seconding this, buddy. If I hadn't started running last year I would definitely have [redacted] someone or something, possibly myself.

Get some sunlight where it's safe to do so. Maybe go rent a cabin in a state/national park for a weekend if you can afford it.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I'm hate listening to Seattle NPR and they're dealing with some heavy cope while they talk about going to intimate indoor theaters maskless and indoor dining and that it's okay and safe and that this variant seems mild lmaooooo

Here enjoy a taste, my voice to text recorded some,

"What else I I saw that the federal government is going to send 80,000 more vaccine doses this month to Washington State mostly it's wait and see does anyone think this is going to change I guess it's it's it's so early in the game but presuming it it comes here let's say it's it seems to be very relatively contagious but more than than the delta variant and realize I'm speaking early but we don't know that it's more dangerous but there are all these things on the table like will this have any make any change when it comes to mask enforcement or vaccine proof enforcement or vaccines required in public schools that we is it just safe to say we have no idea yet what this is going to do to the rest of our lives beyond the usual advice"

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So on the lighter side of things, what do we think the Chinese history books will refer to this as?

"Causes and Consequences"

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I need assistance!

I bought voicemod and want to speak through it instead of just staying silent when I wear my 7503 respirator. I assume the easiest way to do this is a mic placed in the interior of the mask and maybe Bluetooth it to a speaker? I'm sure there's some sort of raspberry pi in the mix somewhere here.

What's the best way to do this?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Demilich posted:

I need assistance!

I bought voicemod and want to speak through it instead of just staying silent when I wear my 7503 respirator. I assume the easiest way to do this is a mic placed in the interior of the mask and maybe Bluetooth it to a speaker? I'm sure there's some sort of raspberry pi in the mix somewhere here.

you should go talk to some mummies in a forgotten tomb, maybe you can find the directions to one in Nespithe

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

I will be interested to see if the Chinese policy is enough to keep Omicron at bay.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Anyway,

Strep Vote posted:

MINK SARS MINK SARS MINK SARS

Chris Hayes crack pinging in real time in front of the proles, good poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WampaLord posted:

Yeah, me too

lmao

When my office went back to full openerup, a week after my coworker spent a week sucking on oxygen due to COVID, I overheard several different people talk about how great it is that they get to go home now :psyduck:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

"Fall of Western Hegemony and the Advantages of a Planned Economy (2020 ~2032)"

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

If you've seriously been in an apartment for 21 months you need to move to a farm in the Midwest and garden and raise animals and whatnot

one ought to simply sell their beach home if worried about rising sea levels

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

i am a kentucky colonel

(seriously)

How loose are the requirements for that? From what I've heard it's pretty easy to get with even a minor degree of notability.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

The Demilich posted:

I need assistance!

don't gently caress with your respirator. no personal experience with these but this would be the kind of thing you'd want. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throat_microphone

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Schnorkles posted:

the c-spam thread has, generally, been one of the highest news:noise sources of real information of COVID and its mostly driven by the fact that there are a ton of people here with real loving credentials who know what they're talking about (and I'm not talking about myself)

a family practitioner kramering in and telling people who know what they're talking about how wrong they are is hopelessly irresponsible and its why he got chased out

we also recognize and don't dive headfirst into the maladaptive response to bad news

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Schnorkles posted:

I will be interested to see if the Chinese policy is enough to keep Omicron at bay.

Omicron's contagiousness seems to be caused mainly by immune escape, not from having a substantially higher R0.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Strep Vote posted:

Anyway,

Chris Hayes crack pinging in real time in front of the proles, good poo poo.

nah, he's citing the furry scientist for cope now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Cloaked posted:

don't gently caress with your respirator. no personal experience with these but this would be the kind of thing you'd want. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throat_microphone

I'll only use it if it makes me sound like a Combine soldier from HL2