Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
John Barnes interview was pretty intense. Barry came off as weirdly rude on his first question, and then basically didn't speak again for the rest of the podcast lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I back Barry here. He asked Barry what he’s doing to do better, Barry told him, and he said it was worthless but didn’t give anything actionable that he thought wasn’t worthless. I don’t understand how it’s worthless to actively get diverse voices on FW because panelists are “elites” ? Idk

Im not done with the podcast yet and I’m trying to make sure I’m not missing his point…

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

The Perfect Element posted:

John Barnes interview was pretty intense. Barry came off as weirdly rude on his first question, and then basically didn't speak again for the rest of the podcast lol

After Max mentioned in the intro about all the conflict in the pod I was a bit underwhelmed as that was the only real conflict in the pod. He did say that they chatted for an hour at the end of a 45mim pod, so I like to think that Barry and John Barnes had a raging 15minute tirade at each other that was cut out.

Moby_Dick
Apr 18, 2003

You'd think I've been riding the L all my life.

grvm posted:

I back Barry here. He asked Barry what he’s doing to do better, Barry told him, and he said it was worthless but didn’t give anything actionable that he thought wasn’t worthless. I don’t understand how it’s worthless to actively get diverse voices on FW because panelists are “elites” ? Idk

Im not done with the podcast yet and I’m trying to make sure I’m not missing his point…

Agree. Barnes was being intentionally provocative and when asked about what to do about it all, he basically had some kind of circular ad hominem attack on “elites”. He steadfastly refused to speculate on solutions. He also completely evaded a direct question about something he said that Barry had obviously researched before the pod by essentially denying it.

He didn’t want to have a conversation, just push his viewpoint. Not to imply that his views were bad or invalid, it just felt like he was unwilling to respect anyone else’s thoughts or ideas.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I would agree that there was literally nothing that Max or Barry could have said which would have satisfied him.

Tbh I feel like he's just a man justifiably screaming into the void. I'm not sure I'd want to read a whole book of it, but I can't blame the guy.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I can blame the guy if he doesn’t offer actionable solutions or steps and instead belittles the steps others are taking. It’s real easy to do that. I do it all the time when I’m pissed off like I’m sure most of us do, but I know it doesn’t add anything. It just tears people down, doesn’t add anything meaningful, and it’s a huge frustration of mine.

Edit: after I submitted, I felt I had to clarify: you can write a book screaming into the void about all the poo poo that is wrong. That I'm 100% in favor of, what I'm not in favor of is acting superior because you did that, tell people the steps they're taking make no difference, and then don't offer actionable.

grvm fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 11, 2021

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Troy Townsend is a really good addition to football weekly. I took me a while to realise he was related to andros. I must have missed the episodes when he was first on.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Jippa posted:

Troy Townsend is a really good addition to football weekly. I took me a while to realise he was related to andros. I must have missed the episodes when he was first on.

Yeah, he's awesome. Maybe we need more footballers dads.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Yeah I've really enjoyed Troy on the podcast, offers quite sensible opinions and quite happy to challenge the others.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Troy's alright, he has the ability to challenge the others without being weird about it, which seems to be a rare trait for FW guests

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
He's also just not some quite posh white boy, which other than JJB makes him pretty unusual for a regular.

hermyownee
Jun 5, 2011

The Perfect Element posted:

He's also just not some quite posh white boy, which other than JJB makes him pretty unusual for a regular.

More nerdy than posh imho

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/danielstorey85/status/1463411615286673417

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Simiain posted:

Troy's alright, he has the ability to challenge the others without being weird about it, which seems to be a rare trait for FW guests

yeah, he's a good addition for this season, along with taking the lumps for Everton's woes in stride.

Max has to be keeping some wild hours between Football Weekly recordings and Champion's League coverage on Australia time.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

harperdc posted:

Max has to be keeping some wild hours between Football Weekly recordings and Champion's League coverage on Australia time.

Yeah, the early CL fixtures kick off at 4:45am eastern Aus time (assuming he’s in Sydney or Melbourne), so he’s probably getting up by 2am.

Honestly I’d find that quite doable since the Champions League only has a pretty limited number of match days, and four days a fortnight is manageable.

The part I’d find toughest in his situation is just trying to keep up with PL games, since those are literally all in the middle of the night.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Barry the contrarian re Thiago’s goal :allears:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I loved Max's 'Oh, Barry...' when he said that he could have done it (??!)

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Football cliches with Danny Kelly was very good. Broadcaster of many decades in telling good stories shocker

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

the sex ghost posted:

Football cliches with Danny Kelly was very good. Broadcaster of many decades in telling good stories shocker

Best football pod around at the moment, imo.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/maxrushden/status/1464189646330466307

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 26, 2021

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
The Football weekly podcast today was great. It is nice that they are taking the time to address some of the more lovely aspects of the game, albeit preaching to theGuardian choir.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/maxrushden/status/1466664507825004547?s=11

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/maxrushden/status/1466707796401942531?s=20

I love max

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

It's funny now looking back at the poo poo he got when he first took over or guest hosted. He's great.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/maxrushden/status/1466726308587524107

Max must be protected at all costs

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Poor Max seems to sit right at the border between chin-stroking hipsters thinking he's too lowbrow, and knuckle-dragging lads thinking he's a pretentious wanker, meaning everyone ends up hating him. It's quite funny seeing him deal with the hate Talksport listeners give him, but I'd like to think all the Guardian listeners have more than warmed to him.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Agreed on the Guardian listeners and I would guess any who haven't have stopped listening. I've always enjoyed him on it.

I think some people thinking he's lowbrow just because he was on Soccer AM and to be honest, lowbrow is a pretty fair assessment of that show. If someone mentioned a podcast or whatever to me and said it was presented by a former Soccer AM host, I wouldn't be rushing to listen to it. I think that's probably just down to the tone the producers want for the show and the fact that Tim Lovejoy is a oval office. Should say however, I haven't seen it in years and I don't think I did much when Max was on it either, so I don't know how he was on it. Andy Goldstein is the last host I remember seeing on it and he's fine on Eurosport.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 3, 2021

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Last time I saw it the presenters were some of the sidekicks from The Golden Years (using that term extremely loosely) and Jimmy Bullard aka Football Banter in Human Form

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, I've seen his gurning mug on the sidebar on SSN.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah honestly initially I was very wary of Max because of Soccer AM but it turns out that it's just a show that makes whoever is on it look like an insufferable prick if they weren't already one before.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Loved Max on Soccer AM didn't mind him when he stood in for Jimbo and he's been great as permanent host of FW. Any opinions counter to this are wrong.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I cannot believe that dude who has listened every single episode, at a rate of three per day.

Wtf is wrong with people.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Who was the young centre back they were talking up for england?

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat

Jippa posted:

Who was the young centre back they were talking up for england?

I think it was Marc Guehi.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks ^.

A good football weekly. Wilson knows his stuff with afcon doesn't he. I just saw that Watford have managed to stop dennis going.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That lad who played for QPR is definately a great new addition to the pod.

I love all the ex pros because they have a different insight to the average pundit on the pod.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Onuoha and Townsend are great, some of the other additions in the last year- not so much

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Onuoha was fantastic on the QPR podcast, he did not hold back on what he felt about Joey Barton. He is a solid smart dude.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

algebra testes posted:

That lad who played for QPR is definately a great new addition to the pod.

I love all the ex pros because they have a different insight to the average pundit on the pod.

Onuoha is the best new addition they've had in a long time. Footballers tend to be thought of as thickos and I'm sure thats true in a lot of cases, but people like Onuoha and Marcus Bean really demonstrate how smart you have to be to be a football player these days and how much intellectual work you have to do alongside the physical.

Depressingly, the 'old' retired footballers they're bringing on are now not only smarter than I am, but younger too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rest in peace to Baz's old man.