Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Stultus Maximus posted:

I recall that. What was the "joke" they'd use? "Didn't mention race, must have been Amish!" or something.

Yep! That's a Freep thing, where whenever they thought the media was hiding that a suspect was Muslim, they would say jokingly "Must have been one of those Amish folks." Likewise, it's now used as a code word for any nonwhite race. In fact, if you look at Freep's keyword search, there's a number of articles tagged with "Amish" such as a recent story about police charging a black woman with attempting to run a woman and child off the road, and a black woman who allegedly shot her 12 year old son over a missing memory card. Also a story about a woman in Sweden who was beaten in Norrby, Sweden, which has one of those dreaded "No-Go Zones" that right wingers like to pretend exist.

Hell, let's even link a Freep thread where they talk about this very topic when it was written about by the Charleston City Paper!

At the Free Republic, 'Amish' is code for an anti-black slur (Old but funny)

Since this is the politoons thread and not the Freep thread I'll only quote two posts, but this should about sum it up.

quote:

When I see the word “Amish” used sarcastically on FR I think blacks or Muzzies. The N-word must be this guy’s thought pattern.

32 posted on 2/10/2015, 3:23:17 PM by Starstruck (If my reply offends, you probably don't understand sarcasm or criticism...or do.)

quote:

I would say that “Amish” is actually code for . . . whatever identifying term the MSM refuses to use in its stories because — horrors! — to actually use identifying terms is to “profile.”

You are correct. Its usage comes about when a poster finds it so obvious that the original article or report by the media or other writer has gone to lengths not to describe a perpetrator of a terrible act.

It happens all the time. A Republican anything doing anything is reported as a Republican, or a conservative activist even if their political affiliation has nothing to do with the event. The same for someone of a Christian religious denomination or anyone from the media portrayed "privileged class."

A democrat wrong doer has such information buried in the end of the write up or not given at all. When a perpetrator of a criminal act is not even described as short, male, white, senior citizen, of apparently local ethnic heritage it shows that the writer is using a style demand cover up to not make the story fully inform the reader and Amish is used to point up that obvious exclusion.

34 posted on 2/10/2015, 3:24:48 PM by KC Burke (I know my screen name says KC but I'm in AZ now!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Whoa whoa whoa, I use this code word to mean (horrible slur) or (horrible slur), not (horrible slur)! Who's really racist!?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Boris Johnson and the Omicron variant – Every eligible adult in the UK should be offered a Covid booster by the end of January as ministers race to increase protection against the Omicron variant, Boris Johnson has announced"

Telegraph:

Omicron variant found around world as more nations tighten travel rules

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Liz Truss urges Nato allies to block Russia’s Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline

Evening Standard:

Covid: is it safe to kiss this Christmas? It’s a risk, say scientists

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I managed to miss the horrible racism on my first read, but what else is even going on there? Is he making GBS threads his pants that the media reported that the Waukesha driver had been arrested and stopped reporting it as news once there stopped being anything new to report?

They want news reports on him being murdered by police or vigilantes.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

The "Enough" iceberg is the government's toxic culture towards women as the education minister stands aside: Alan Tudge leaves cabinet after former adviser alleges their affair was abusive (The Age).
Former attorney general Christian Porter is rowing away with the "blind trust" bag as he quits politics, he won't reveal who paid him the money to pay for his defamation case against the ABC: Christian Porter bemoans 'harshness of politics' as he announces he’ll quit parliament (Guardian).

Wilcox:

Federal Labor preparing for the upcoming election.

Rowe:

A whole bunch of stuff that happened in the last day of federal parliament for the year.

Leak, Son of Leak:

The religious discrimination bill didn't get brought up in parliament this session.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 2, 2021

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Kellies Nomination: Worst Label

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah I'm gonna go with yes. The global reaction to omicron possibly originating in southern Africa was extremely racist, even if it's not Trump and Branco's overt style of racism.

Still, gently caress Branco.

Yeah, basically my response is a one word version of either, because of course Branco (or anyone on the right making that argument) doesn't give two shits about the answer, or about hypocrisy, they just know that their opponents, in general, do. It's just a troll to draw people into frustrating circular arguments. The only good response, if one just can't bring themselves to avoid responding at all, is the most low effort troll in return. Just saying 'yes' or 'no' (but not both) to every stupid hook they toss out either gets them to go away or gets them to spiral into flailing arguments.

But yes, the actual answer is yes.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Here's one that's relevant again.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Lalo Alcaraz

Nick Anderson

Robert Ariail

Lisa Benson

It's the return of Void Fetus! Now with pink hairbow and eyelashes.

Steve Breen

Jeff Danziger

John Deering

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Oh god all the Jussie Smollett takes are coming back...

Kevin Necessary

Marty Two Bulls

Jack Ohman

Henry Payne

Michael Ramirez

Drew Sheneman

Jeff Stahler

Dana Summers

Gary Varvel

I'm surrounded by Assholes!

Tony Branco

quote:

Getting Udder Your Skin
Big Pharma loves the unconstitutional vaccine mandates Democrats are trying to inflict on Americans.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Oh you hate being exploited for profit by big pharma, you know how you could stop them Branco, medicare for all, you must be in favour of tha..

Oh gently caress you.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Crossposting from CSPAM so I can give it a Kellies Nomination for Overall Worst and Worst Label.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Bit on the nose for a political cartoonist to try and chastise someone else for craving attention

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A cow with needle teats is some serious Beksinski poo poo

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Fun for the Whole Country! Race Trial!

Ted Rall posted:

Every so often there’s another so-called "race trial." Whether the defendant is white as in the Arbury trial or Black as with O.J. Simpson, or a racially-tinged trial like that of Kyle Rittenhouse, Americans increasingly root for their side the same way that they support their favorite sport team. These clown shows substitute for rolling up our sleeves to try to get rid of racism once and for all.

First Dog on the Moon: Living with sheep it is clear that they have sheep hopes and dreams – they also have sheep ideas

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yes Rall, people were definitely cheering like sports fans because "our team won" when Arbery's murderers were convicted. It wasn't because they were relieved that "Thank god this blatant murder was seen as what it was," they weren't grateful that our system isn't quite that far gone (yet), they were just celebrating because "WOOO my side good!"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
it's actually fine when a racist murders people for racist reasons, because caring about it uses up precious resources that could otherwise be used for fighting racism

all we have to do is save up enough monarch points to enact "no racism" but the fuckin scrubs keep burning them up on inconsequential matters like prosecuting murders or educating children or granting asylum

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Why is oil production so low? Why? Biden must have cut it!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/business/energy-environment/opec-russia-saudi-arabia-oil-coronavirus.amp.html

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Honestly can’t disagree here

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

it's actually fine when a racist murders people for racist reasons, because caring about it uses up precious resources that could otherwise be used for fighting racism

all we have to do is save up enough monarch points to enact "no racism" but the fuckin scrubs keep burning them up on inconsequential matters like prosecuting murders or educating children or granting asylum

Finally someone sees reason. Now all we need to solve racism is to all become enlightened like Rall so we generate monarch points faster.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Context: Something about the omicron variant? The plague doctor have a selfie stick because.....incisive commentary?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

Nomination: Worst caricature, of some iteration of Sleeping Venus.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Alhazred posted:

Context: Something about the omicron variant? The plague doctor have a selfie stick because.....incisive commentary?

some plaguezimo

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

THIS IS AUSTRALIA DON’T BE LIKE AUSTRALIA

Medical tyranny first took a firm foothold in Australia. It was the template. Now Germany has announced plans for ‘mandatory’ vaccinations. What’s next, concentration camps? Australia already has them. The globalist rulers must be encouraged to see just how easy it is for them to extinguish freedom.

We know about mass protests in Australia, but the ruling class doesn’t seem to care. The citizens down under already turned their guns in decades ago. The ruling tyrants have them all. Mao once said political power grows through a barrel of a gun. That’s why citizens in China aren’t allowed to have guns. The Chinese Communist Party has all the guns and all the political power. Thank goodness we in America still have our firearms, but we have to make it clear we will use them if a criminal government tries to force a dangerous drug into our arms against our will.

I doubt mandatory vaccination by force will happen any time soon in the USA–even though Jim Cramer on CNBC’s ‘Mad Money’ demanded that exact thing. He called for the military to be mobilized in order to force vaccinate all Americans. Cramer is mad—as in nutty. Our corporate media are insane as well.

We are seeing politicians relishing and abusing their new and illegitimate power. They delight in telling us all what to do with our own bodies. As long as people obey them, those politicians will become even more tyrannical. In New Zealand, their horse-faced leader (Jacinda Ardern) made sure citizens cannot get a license to drive without first getting jabbed. Soon citizens will be denied access to all services—even food–unless their papers are in order.

It will only get worse if We The People don’t fight back. If we don’t, we’ll soon have to endure permanent medical tyranny with tracking and social credit scores. If they can force inoculate people they can also force them to accept the injection of chip devices. Do we control our own bodies or not? Do we really want to live in a dystopian world where a tiny group of Satanic globalists micromanage our lives?

People must stop participating with the globalist ruling class and their plans for our destruction.

— Ben Garrison

Do not comply and NEVER give up your guns!- Tina

That art looks like it could've come straight from Deviant Art or whatever. Well, minus the swastika maybe.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Why did he insist on using the country's outline for the head? Its a kangaroo and loving Uluru is there in the background, and the kangaroo is holding the goddamn flag

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Raised By Birds posted:

That art looks like it could've come straight from Deviant Art or whatever. Well, minus the swastika maybe.

Garrison's commission work has certainly taken a turn.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Raised By Birds posted:

I mean in the pouch of a kangaroo is actually remarkably safe if you're a baby kangaroo. Also dangerous empty syringe injecting a rock is bad... because?

Lets just chuck a blue swastika arm band on, as even though I'm definitely mates with nazis I still can't be bothered calling any of them to to check what colour it's meant to be?

Like just the laziest dee's.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 3, 2021

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

dr_rat posted:

Lets just chuck a blue swastika arm band on, as even though I'm definitely mates with nazis I still can't be bothered calling any of them to to check what colour it's meant to be?

I'm pretty sure the swastika in that shade of blue is meant to represent the DNC logo. Biden is behind this somehow.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

I hate to say it, but that's a pretty solid Van Jones in panel 2.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

wizzardstaff posted:

I'm pretty sure the swastika in that shade of blue is meant to represent the DNC logo. Biden is behind this somehow.

If only that demon dog biden hadn't of been hitler's father, none of this fake covid stuff would of happened. :colbert:

Also pretty sure that's still the wrong shade of blue for the DNC... but like at this point who cares.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Raised By Birds posted:

jesus the fetish in this triggered a violent apocalypse now flashback to the klobuchar diaper vore cartoon in the lead up to the primaries

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

jesus the fetish in this triggered a violent apocalypse now flashback to the klobuchar diaper vore cartoon in the lead up to the primaries

It's best not to think about the open fetishism in a lot of right wing cartoons... that way leads a dark path, best left untraveled.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I hate to say it, but maybe Garrison didn't secretly die from the virus with Tina taking over the comic

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Boris Johnson’s lockdown hoedown – The prime minister has come under pressure to explain why No 10 staff apparently held two Christmas parties during the lockdown of winter 2020"

Telegraph:

No snogging under the mistletoe, says minister, as Boris Johnson denies 'boozy' party broke Covid rules

Matt:

Independent:

Covid: Javid says snog who you like under mistletoe, contradicting Coffey

Times:

Evening Standard:

Old Bexley and Sidcup byelection: Tories retain true-blue seat

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Hey I just realized it's December and I haven't seen a single IF GLOBAL WARMING WHY COLD cartoon yet. Weird.

In completely unrelated news, it was nearly 70 degrees today and tomorrow is going to be setting near record highs for a lot of areas. Well, I'm sure it's no big deal, nothing to worry about.

quote:

We are seeing politicians relishing and abusing their new and illegitimate power. They delight in telling us all what to do with our own bodies.

This is a hell of a thing to say with SCOTUS killing Roe v Wade in the near future, something which Ben completely supports.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Garrison is only going to get worse as things go on.

If he draws Trump getting peed on by three angels labelled "Patriotism", "Anti-Vax" and "Open Carry", then we'll know that he's finally lost it.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Labor announces 2030 emissions reductions target (SMH). Opposition leader Anthony Albanese speaking, it looks like the shadow climate change minister Chris Bowen is the rodent in the diagram.

A quick AusPol explainer: climate change and energy policy has been one of the biggest factors in Australian elections for a decade ever since Tony Abbott demonised Labor's carbon pricing scheme as a "carbon tax", so Labor setting a firm 2030 target means it will be a major part of the upcoming election. Their target is calculated to fall short of the actual figure the science says we need but higher than the government's competing plan of doing gently caress all and hope market forces sort it out. But it's an actual climate target from Labor, Morrison is already out there saying how it's dangerous for all the coal regions, and I expect all the cartoonists will do their thing on this up to the election.

Rowe:

There are a few cartoons on how 43 isn't a particularly round number.

Warren Brown:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Moir:

All the current living PMs bar Julia Gillard continuously make comments on the current state of politics.

Knight:

Melbourne police investigate alleged assault of Dymocks book shop worker by customer who refused to check in (ABC). "A Melbourne bookstore has hired professional security after a staff member working as a COVID-19 marshal was allegedly pushed down an escalator."
In Victoria before entering a store you need to check in and present your vaccination status (and wear a mask).

Leunig:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

wizzardstaff posted:

Nah, that's definitely meant to evoke the UN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Leunig can you please just gently caress off already. :(